Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Sandgaard taking on role in player recruitment, replacing Ged Roddy

edited December 2021 in General Charlton
Thomas Sandgaard has revealed that his son Martin is taking on an increased role in Charlton Athletic’s player recruitment process – with technical director Ged Roddy now focusing on the women’s team and obtaining category 1 status for the academy.

Asked about the reshuffle, the Addicks owner told Charlton TV: “Ged Roddy, out technical director, will in future be focused on the academy and also the ladies team.

“He will be focused on getting us category one status. He has a lot of experience with the FA in that entire environment, which is helpful. He’ll be doing that, going forward, on a more consulting basis.

Martin, my son, is over there and he’s got quite a bit into the football side. He’s taking over running part of our recruitment where we are identifying players who have the right type of traits, background and age to keep strengthening our squad.

“He’ll be doing that more from an analytical point of view, working together with Steve Gallen.”

Comments

• Options
    The more things change the more they stay the same.
  • Options
    If he's investing more time in getting Cat 1 status, does that mean he might be looking at ways of acquiring the assets?
  • Options
    Ewwww Driesen vibes 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    I have been told previously that it was Martin who identified Dobson as part of his black box approach. 

Doesnt mean that every deal will work out

But doesnt mean every deal will be a Driesen disaster 

How come his involvement with the recruitment team was never mentioned before? 
  • Options
    I have been told previously that it was Martin who identified Dobson as part of his black box approach. 

No idea... All I know is he suggested him to Gallen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He wasn't in the UK until November though? 

Seems a bit wishful thinking. 
  • Options

He wasn't in the UK until November though? 

Seems a bit wishful thinking. 
    The person who told me has been very reliable in the past so I see no reason to disbelieve them myself - Of course nothing to say that others have to believe me if they dont want to.

The rest of my post remains true though. 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t see the problem with him supplying the background information and identifying targets.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Can vouch that FA did mention this to me weeks/months ago.
  • Options
    Shit idea 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Should be the end of any future suggestions that Ged has undue influence at the club.
    It suggests he's been demoted though, no? 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Call me gullible but this smacks of streamlining the recruitment process.  The money men working with the recruitment men, without Ged as a go between.
    I think this is the most generous possible interpretation, though it might not be wrong. But it sounds more like Martin will be in charge of a more analytical approach to scouting, potentially leaving Gallen to the more traditional approach.

If Martin did indeed identify Dobbo, then he is capable of identifying a decent and potentially undervalued player. Which is what would be required in this job.

It looks really bad though. I really bristled when I heard it in TS's interview this morning. That's not to say it will turn out poorly. Time will tell. But I think there's good reason to be skeptical.