Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Sandgaard taking on role in player recruitment, replacing Ged Roddy

Comments

• Options
    The good news is, it’s been recognised that the last transfer window was a bit of a shambles, and change is needed.

Whether this transfer window and going forward, are any better remains to be seen.

It was muted right at the beginning of TS’s takeover about following a recruitment model close to that of Brentford, has this actually been followed as yet, or is that what’s about to happen?

I can understand TS being concerned that a lot of money is wasted in football, high wages, transfer fees, agents fees and signing on fees, it’s a blooming minefield, and easy to get your fingers burnt.

But we also need to sign players with a good track record of completing 30 plus games a season, rather than being injury prone as well as having the right personality of character and desire to improve, rather than looking for one last payday, so many different factors to get right, it’s not a surprise that some signings don’t work out, but how do you ‘get them right’ more often than not?
    There was certainly a perception at the time that the committee approach was resulting in the signing of compromise players and the process appeared painfully slow.

TS made comments suggesting he was unhappy with not being told the whole truth over things going on in the Club and he has now been over here for quite a long time. He has obviously had long conversations with many staff over this period. Is this one area he was unhappy with?
    Long conversations with JJ would have involved discussing general aims of recruitment and individual player targets. Did JJ have concerns over the process? Did he have concerns as to who was involved? 
    I would suggest that these changes are a result of those discussions and given that he has a history of giving his staff trust and responsibility to do their jobs, instilling his son into the key area of player recruitment will mean that he will be making those decisions. He has tried appointing ‘football’ people and it looks like he believes they let him down. Fans who were unimpressed over the summer will agree.
    It may not be everyone’s solution, but I can understand why he has done this and the owner trusting what is happening is a big step forward. Good luck to the lad.

• Options
    and because you’ll all be wondering what her lines are like, cop a load of this 
    Been trying to make sense of this post……am I missing something?
    @SoundAsa£ bottom of page 2
    Ah….gotcha. ⛵️
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think people are reading to much into this, I can't see TS's son knowing too much about footballers at this level but I bet he knows what Daddy will or won't spend and how much we are losing every month.
    Exactly this, I can’t see Martin telling SG, we are going to sign blabla from Exeter City what are your views? This imo will be Steve going to Martin and saying I want this player from this club, he’s worth this much, Martin will look into then approve or decline, I would assume Martin would look if this particular player fits into our strategy, long term vision etc etc..

You missed out the bit where Martin passes the info onto his Dad. 👀👂
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think people are reading to much into this, I can't see TS's son knowing too much about footballers at this level but I bet he knows what Daddy will or won't spend and how much we are losing every month.
    Exactly this, I can’t see Martin telling SG, we are going to sign blabla from Exeter City what are your views? This imo will be Steve going to Martin and saying I want this player from this club, he’s worth this much, Martin will look into then approve or decline, I would assume Martin would look if this particular player fits into our strategy, long term vision etc etc..

You missed out the bit where Martin passes the info onto his Dad. 👀👂
    As long as Blabla from Exeter can score goals, I don’t mind!
  • Options
    Just a suggestion, It would be good for the supporters trust if they could do a zoom meeting with Martin S so the fans can put questions to him, might take away a lot of peoples fears and hesitancy?
    It won't because half the people won't believe what he says, ignore some of the points or do anything else to confirm their preconceived bias. 

There were a couple of points in the latest Jackson and Gallen ones that if that months pantomime villain had said they they would have generated dozens of comments.  I didn't see a single one. 
  • Options
    Steve Gallen below Thomas D, from Belgium was wrong in recruiting.
    Steve Gallen below Roddy was wrong in recruiting.
    Steve Gallen having Martin Sandgaard in his team with JJ having the final say seems better even if in the ideal world it wouldn't work like that. 

Check out Son's of Ferguson and Alardyce at their clubs over the years who ended up as agents as it was easy money when you had powerful dad's in charge who had a vast network of contacts. 

Nepotism will always exist in football and business.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Glad to see TS has seen the error of giving Roddy the role in the first place and has rectified that part.  Would expect Roddy to have no ties with the club at all at some point in 2022. 

Will only judge MS at the earliest once we complete the next transfer window 
  • Options
    Don’t Leicester have (had) a father son thing in football, haven’t they done more than all right, surely it’s all about how competent, switched on and arrogant / humble they are as to whether it works out?

You need a team of good people around you to succeed in any walk of life.
  • Options
    Im going to reserve judgment on this until I pop some batteries in my nepotism detector. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    If Martin Sandgaard becomes a real fan other than just a job then we might start getting our 1st choice and not our 5th choice target. I'm sure that Martin can twist his dad's arm to get the X factor player in !

As stated by Steve Gallen on CAST Zoom earlier this season about how we try to have a shopping list of players in order from 1 to 5.

This could turn out fine as long as Steve and Johnnie are happy with any incoming transfers or loans because they will veto if any Danish forwards like Ronnie Schwartz, over 30 are mentioned !
  • Options
    If Martin Sandgaard becomes a real fan other than just a job then we might start getting our 1st choice and not our 5th choice target. I'm sure that Martin can twist his dad's arm to get the X factor player in !

As stated by Steve Gallen on CAST Zoom earlier this season about how we try to have a shopping list of players in order from 1 to 5.

This could turn out fine as long as Steve and Johnnie are happy with any incoming transfers or loans because they will veto if any Danish forwards like Ronnie Schwartz, over 30 are mentioned !
    End up with Michelle Mcmanus 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    The good news is, it’s been recognised that the last transfer window was a bit of a shambles, and change is needed.

Whether this transfer window and going forward, are any better remains to be seen.

It was muted right at the beginning of TS’s takeover about following a recruitment model close to that of Brentford, has this actually been followed as yet, or is that what’s about to happen?

I can understand TS being concerned that a lot of money is wasted in football, high wages, transfer fees, agents fees and signing on fees, it’s a blooming minefield, and easy to get your fingers burnt.

But we also need to sign players with a good track record of completing 30 plus games a season, rather than being injury prone as well as having the right personality of character and desire to improve, rather than looking for one last payday, so many different factors to get right, it’s not a surprise that some signings don’t work out, but how do you ‘get them right’ more often than not?
    Stop signing older players past their best like Watson, Souare, Arter and Gunter would be a start. Pratley was effective because he still had the legs to play CM.
    You also need some experience in the squad and you have been quite selective.  Pearce is older than all of them bar Watson.  Players like Bowen, Bright, Chris Powell V2 and V3, Curbishley even Gritt (resigned), Andy Hughes, Euall, I could go on, were all past their best when we (re) signed them and had really positive impacts.

You need the right blend. 
    Of course you do but the blend is wrong. We can’t rotate and bring energy into the side. It’s not about age it’s about their ability to contribute to a promotion winning team. With a cap in place we can’t afford to carry so many players that we’re reluctant to use.

Pearce plays in the middle of a back three which hides his lack of pace. He’s still fit and quick enough to play that role.

Andy Hughes was another Pratley. He was capable of playing in a midfield two in a flat 4-4-2. Watson and Arter don’t impress even at the base of a three.

Euell wasn’t really there to play, he made a few sub appearances and ended the season out on loan with AFC Wimbledon. Once we had Haynes and various loanees we didn’t need him and he moved on.

Our two recent L1 promotion sides didn’t have so many older players who offered so little on the pitch.

Souare and Arter will be gone by the summer. Watson at most will do a Euell role. Gunter will probably activate his extension option and hopefully play fewer games next season.
    Arter, Gunter and Souare aren't old by football standards at all.  If they are any good is a different issues.

It's a player issue not a policy issue.  You have to ask questions to the person that signed Arter and Souare as to why.

This isn't aimed at you but we have now gone full circle, twice, in 4 months.  The recruitment was crap, no it wasn't Adkins was the problem, oh maybe the recruitment was crap.

Off the top of my head we signed, or resigned, about 15 players in the summer.  Only 2 or 3 of them have been any good in the roles they were signed to do. That fact some have thrived in different ones is more luck than judgment.  It doesn't look good on anyone involved.   This squad is incapable of playing like we did against Ipswich every week, equally they are equally as unlikely to be awful very often. 

• Options

A classic of the genre, Steve Gallen was very clear, in a zoom call, that he had watched Schwartz and was very happy to get it done.   The same Steve Gallen that said on a zoom call that we didn't sign a left back because he knew Sauare was available?  Didn't veto those did he? 

The gymnastics some people go through to not crticise some people because it doesn't fit the narrative is amazing. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Stop signing older players past their best like Watson, Souare, Arter and Gunter would be a start. Pratley was effective because he still had the legs to play CM.
    You also need some experience in the squad and you have been quite selective.  Pearce is older than all of them bar Watson.  Players like Bowen, Bright, Chris Powell V2 and V3, Curbishley even Gritt (resigned), Andy Hughes, Euall, I could go on, were all past their best when we (re) signed them and had really positive impacts.

Of course you do but the blend is wrong. We can’t rotate and bring energy into the side. It’s not about age it’s about their ability to contribute to a promotion winning team. With a cap in place we can’t afford to carry so many players that we’re reluctant to use.

Pearce plays in the middle of a back three which hides his lack of pace. He’s still fit and quick enough to play that role.

Andy Hughes was another Pratley. He was capable of playing in a midfield two in a flat 4-4-2. Watson and Arter don’t impress even at the base of a three.

Euell wasn’t really there to play, he made a few sub appearances and ended the season out on loan with AFC Wimbledon. Once we had Haynes and various loanees we didn’t need him and he moved on.

Our two recent L1 promotion sides didn’t have so many older players who offered so little on the pitch.

Souare and Arter will be gone by the summer. Watson at most will do a Euell role. Gunter will probably activate his extension option and hopefully play fewer games next season.
    Arter, Gunter and Souare aren't old by football standards at all.  If they are any good is a different issues.

It's a player issue not a policy issue.  You have to ask questions to the person that signed Arter and Souare as to why.

This isn't aimed at you but we have now gone full circle, twice, in 4 months.  The recruitment was crap, no it wasn't Adkins was the problem, oh maybe the recruitment was crap.

Off the top of my head we signed, or resigned, about 15 players in the summer.  Only 2 or 3 of them have been any good in the roles they were signed to do. That fact some have thrived in different ones is more luck than judgment.  It doesn't look good on anyone involved.   This squad is incapable of playing like we did against Ipswich every week, equally they are equally as unlikely to be awful very often. 

All three are players past their best and on the decline. Agree it would be good to understand why we signed them.

Those having such drastic swings in their view of recruitment are reading too much into a small run of games. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

All three are players past their best and on the decline. Agree it would be good to understand why we signed them.

Those having such drastic swings in their view of recruitment are reading too much into a small run of games. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
    But your never going to have a squad, in league 1, that doesn't have players on the way down.  One probably do have 1 or 2 too many, in the wrong positions.  Gallen signed Souare and Arter, or so he said at the time.  I wonder what Nigel thought of that after banging on about needing younger players for 3 months?

Our recruitment over the last 3 windows has appeared scatter gun, at best.  We have signed more good players than bad ones but we seem to have signed a lot of players no one had any idea what to do with. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:

End up with Michelle Mcmanus 
    I’ve hear Rik Waller is a bit tricky
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The standard tantruming on here is as enjoyable as ever. Sandgaard obviously felt that he wasn't in the loop enough with Roddy involved and has put in someone who will report back better. There were issues with our summer recruitment that were rooted in a lack of good communication between all parties. We signed good players that the manager didn't seem capable of using and got them later than he wanted. Dobson and Clare couldn't get in the team and we were flapping a bit. We then weirdly pivoted manically after that and brought in Arter because Adkins had said Dobson wasn't up to it. Now a few months later we're left with Arter kicking his heels doing nothing because it turns out Dobson was good enough after all. All this came about because there was a plan, the plan didn't work but the reason for that wasn't properly identified, so we swung wildly in our approach and that still didn't fix the problem because the problem remained in post. If Martin coming in fixes that communication issue then we're already off to a better start.
    What Martin's role is will be interesting. There's lots of people soiling themselves in a rage because he's the owner's son, but if the role is built the right way then it's fine. People are embarrassing themselves bringing up Driesen in this situtation. Driesen was a kid in his early 20s with next to no experience who didn't just suggest transfers, he was allowed to suggest personnel and tactical changes. He got his job off the back of a speculative email to Roland. Martin has worked for Zynex for over 14 years and is/was production and supply chain manager. For a billion dollar company. The idea that this is just some no-mark the owner has put in because he was there when he was born is incredibly short-sighted. He's obviously competent. Now, if within a few months we're hearing about how Martin has started taking training sessions and has cancelled Lee's loan because there's a Burundian midfielder in the Luxembourg league who he reckons could do the job better then yeah, sure, I'll buy and then sharpen my pitchfork. But more likely if his job is to gather and analyse data, a task I'm sure someone with his experience is quite capable of, to then pass the data on to Gallen to make his footballing assessment - will he fit the style, does he have the right character profile - then that's how things should work. I trust Gallen to assess players well when he sees them but he has to be aware of as many as possible. We got Josh Parker because Gallen was aware of him from previous experience with him. We need to expand our reach beyond people Gallen has worked with or recommendations from other scouts Gallen is in touch with, and hopefully that's what the new role will provide, all while keeping the owner actually informed on what's going on this time. Seems like a positive move to me
    That's alright then, because a middle management job at your dad's company (turnover $80m / market cap $340m - not quite a "billion dollar company") makes you an authority on talent identification in football. 

On that basis, there are probably many dozens of posters on this site that are better qualified.

In reality, they aren't... 

• Options
    The standard tantruming on here is as enjoyable as ever. Sandgaard obviously felt that he wasn't in the loop enough with Roddy involved and has put in someone who will report back better. There were issues with our summer recruitment that were rooted in a lack of good communication between all parties. We signed good players that the manager didn't seem capable of using and got them later than he wanted. Dobson and Clare couldn't get in the team and we were flapping a bit. We then weirdly pivoted manically after that and brought in Arter because Adkins had said Dobson wasn't up to it. Now a few months later we're left with Arter kicking his heels doing nothing because it turns out Dobson was good enough after all. All this came about because there was a plan, the plan didn't work but the reason for that wasn't properly identified, so we swung wildly in our approach and that still didn't fix the problem because the problem remained in post. If Martin coming in fixes that communication issue then we're already off to a better start.
    What Martin's role is will be interesting. There's lots of people soiling themselves in a rage because he's the owner's son, but if the role is built the right way then it's fine. People are embarrassing themselves bringing up Driesen in this situtation. Driesen was a kid in his early 20s with next to no experience who didn't just suggest transfers, he was allowed to suggest personnel and tactical changes. He got his job off the back of a speculative email to Roland. Martin has worked for Zynex for over 14 years and is/was production and supply chain manager. For a billion dollar company. The idea that this is just some no-mark the owner has put in because he was there when he was born is incredibly short-sighted. He's obviously competent. Now, if within a few months we're hearing about how Martin has started taking training sessions and has cancelled Lee's loan because there's a Burundian midfielder in the Luxembourg league who he reckons could do the job better then yeah, sure, I'll buy and then sharpen my pitchfork. But more likely if his job is to gather and analyse data, a task I'm sure someone with his experience is quite capable of, to then pass the data on to Gallen to make his footballing assessment - will he fit the style, does he have the right character profile - then that's how things should work. I trust Gallen to assess players well when he sees them but he has to be aware of as many as possible. We got Josh Parker because Gallen was aware of him from previous experience with him. We need to expand our reach beyond people Gallen has worked with or recommendations from other scouts Gallen is in touch with, and hopefully that's what the new role will provide, all while keeping the owner actually informed on what's going on this time. Seems like a positive move to me
    That's alright then, because a middle management job at your dad's company (turnover $80m a year - not quite a "billion dollar company") makes you an authority on talent identification in football. 

On that basis, there are probably many dozens of posters on this site that are better qualified.

But I bet those posters don't all have an "amazing shot"
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

But your never going to have a squad, in league 1, that doesn't have players on the way down.  One probably do have 1 or 2 too many, in the wrong positions.  Gallen signed Souare and Arter, or so he said at the time.  I wonder what Nigel thought of that after banging on about needing younger players for 3 months?

Our recruitment over the last 3 windows has appeared scatter gun, at best.  We have signed more good players than bad ones but we seem to have signed a lot of players no one had any idea what to do with. 
    That’s my point, we have too many of them. When you add in others who aren’t good enough or if the right fit this is a squad that needs another big rebuild in the summer.
  • Options
    That's alright then, because a middle management job at your dad's company (turnover $80m / market cap $340m - not quite a "billion dollar company") makes you an authority on talent identification in football. 

In reality we had that talent last summer. Vast experience in football.

The fact is that identifying players for every position is a continuous process that never ends, it involves many people such as coaches at all levels that are well aware of talent in other squads, coaches at other clubs, scouts etc.

Martin is part of the decision making process. TS trusts his son and maybe Martin knows more than his Father. I don’t think anyone on this site is qualified to do that, but if they had worked for TS for 14 years they maybe in with a shout.
  • Options

Well no, as I said, if his role is primarily focused on data gathering, which going by the 'black box' approach they've described it likely would be, and then passing that data onto Gallen then he doesn't need to be an authority on talent identification. That's Gallen's job, he just has to have the right names put in front of him, which is basically how Brentford operate. We did have a 'football man' in the role in Ged Roddy who has years of experience in football and an MBE for services to football and people pissed themselves in misery at his existence the entire time. Now we're doing something slightly different and people are still miserable because the owner is related to the employee and for no other reason, because we don't know enough about the role and how it's carried out yet to be able to judge. But feel free to quibble over the value of Sandgaard's company, I get the feeling that you're determined to just whine no matter what. You're in good company
  • Options
    Does Mart play a mean mouth organ?

I feel the band coming together chaps!
  • Options

Well no, as I said, if his role is primarily focused on data gathering, which going by the 'black box' approach they've described it likely would be, and then passing that data onto Gallen then he doesn't need to be an authority on talent identification. That's Gallen's job, he just has to have the right names put in front of him, which is basically how Brentford operate. We did have a 'football man' in the role in Ged Roddy who has years of experience in football and an MBE for services to football and people pissed themselves in misery at his existence the entire time. Now we're doing something slightly different and people are still miserable because the owner is related to the employee and for no other reason, because we don't know enough about the role and how it's carried out yet to be able to judge. But feel free to quibble over the value of Sandgaard's company, I get the feeling that you're determined to just whine no matter what. You're in good company
    Brentford are owned by someone who's background is in finance, who then became a professional gambler. Crunching numbers is his forte, and it's not something that can be easily replicated. Anyone can produce a database that throws out a few players, it's writing a really good database that's the difficult bit