Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Sandgaard taking on role in player recruitment, replacing Ged Roddy

Comments

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I'm pleased that Sandgaard has now had the kind of clear-out that some of us advised a few months ago.

The one bit I'm interested in now is just how good Gallen's recruitment record is.  I know there have been some real successes (Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher etc), but he has been responsible for some real donkeys too (Bogle, the various Smiths etc ... you can pick your own).

Has anyone done a full critique so that we can judge whether Sandgaard has gone far enough? 
    The truth is no one, certainly who posts on here, actually knows.  When Gallen first came in his and Robinson's recruitment was pretty good.  His and Bowyer's was pretty good, even with the funding slashed and having to go through Tommy D.  You can't blame him for the Southall window, then it all gets a bit murky.

The premier league loans are a bit cloudy as well.  Especially the first time loans.  Do you just ask for a midfielder and it's a bit of pot luck if you get a Gallagher or a Levitt? 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I'm pleased that Sandgaard has now had the kind of clear-out that some of us advised a few months ago.

Hopefully hasn’t stopped removing the driftwood just yet. 
  • Options
    As Ged is returning to FIFA AND is still working for the club on a consultancy basis, it feels like a mutually happy arrangement
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:

The one bit I'm interested in now is just how good Gallen's recruitment record is.  I know there have been some real successes (Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher etc), but he has been responsible for some real donkeys too (Bogle, the various Smiths etc ... you can pick your own).

Has anyone done a full critique so that we can judge whether Sandgaard has gone far enough? 
    The truth is no one, certainly who posts on here, actually knows.  When Gallen first came in his and Robinson's recruitment was pretty good.  His and Bowyer's was pretty good, even with the funding slashed and having to go through Tommy D.  You can't blame him for the Southall window, then it all gets a bit murky.

The premier league loans are a bit cloudy as well.  Especially the first time loans.  Do you just ask for a midfielder and it's a bit of pot luck if you get a Gallagher or a Levitt? 

Gallen has had to recruit under Duchatelet/Driesen, then under Southall/Amis.

He's a fecking miracle worker. End of.

At least the couple of interviews with the SLP and the OS have clarified particulars that could/should have been spelt out when the announcements were made EG the triggers for Jackson's contract and the hierarchy within recruitment IE Gallen is in charge.

How that works out in practice with MS we shall have to see but it doesn't APPEAR that he has the power of Driesen or the control of Roddy.

For all his smiling image and genuine goodwill Sandgaard snr is showing he has a ruthless streak when sidelining someone who was an key ally before the takeover.

Just wish he'd do the same to Keohane.

Oh!  OK.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Roddy moving in can only be a good thing imho. I spoke with a guy who knew him when he used to scout for Reading and he said he was a total nightmare to work with and not very popular.
  • Options
    Roddy moving in can only be a good thing imho. I spoke with a guy who knew him when he used to scout for Reading and he said he was a nightmare to work with. 
    Was it Nigel Adkins? 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Roddy moving in can only be a good thing imho. I spoke with a guy who knew him when he used to scout for Reading and he said he was a nightmare to work with. 
    Was it Nigel Adkins? 
    No. Sorry I should have been clearer. The bloke I know was scouting for Reading at the time but is now here in Denmark working for SønderjyskE 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank God he’s gone. Everything seemed to point to him as a problem and I could never see what value he was adding. 
    I thought it demeaning to Gallen and Jackson that they had to liaise with him at all.
    I’d back Gallen all the way in the recruitment process. Given what he’s had to deal with in the past I think he’s very much in credit.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Clear that despite the vigorous defence of Roddy by some, based on his CV, his role has been identified as a problem and consequently he has been removed from it.

He’s been given a soft landing by Sandgaard but it’s pretty obvious there’s no real role for him going forward beyond advising on category one. 
    Don't think I ever defended him based on his CV. I asked if anyone could produce a credible piece of evidence that he'd done anything wrong, and nobody could. 

Given the amount of accusations he's faced, some wild in their nature, I do wonder what he's actually guilty of. Still nobody would be able to tell me with any degree of real certainty.

On the flipside, if there hadn't been a campaign of character assassination against Ged, I imagine this would be playing out very differently... Thomas replacing someone highly qualified with his unqualified son. 
  • Options

Not at all. Just because Gallen has worked under some testing circumstances, doesn't mean he's a miracle worker. You say he worked under Amis/Southall but who did we bring in that transfer window - Green, Smith, McGeady and Davis, all flopped bar a couple of decent cameos from Green. Of course I'm not blaming him but where was the miracle? 

Roland was a shit owner, we all know that but Gallen still had a larger budget to work with than most of the other clubs in League 1. I have to be say, that seasons recruitment was still superb, particularly the loanees and the vital addition of Purrington in the January. Then in the following season, we made some pretty poor signings. Players like Oztumer and Oshilija didn't even last for us in League 1, let alone the league above. Hemed and Kayal were woeful. Again, not fair to blame him but where was the miracle? We ended up being relegated because the squad wasn't good enough. Yes, injuries certainly played a major part in that as did some questionable substitutes/tactics late on. 

Gallen has had his excuses and the manager certainly shoulders a lot of the blame. Some of the summer additions were slammed because of their performances under Adkins, and are now starting to look a lit better so that's positive. 

Only my opinion but I do think Gallen, like Bowyer, received a bit too much credit purely because of the circumstances they worked under. In a way, that is justified because they don't have the loyalty we do as fans. It does however give them convenient excuses. When Gallen has signed a cracker, we sing his praises. When we sign a few duds, it's because of the ownership or because Sandgaard completed the takeover too late to sign anyone worthwhile (let's not forget that Gunter, Inniss and Watson were tracked all summer). 

Overall, I'm glad he's here. He's shown loyalty and clearly has a good footballing knowledge and some excellent contacts. I think the Director of Football role suits him more because his contacts and negotiating skills are a real asset. I'd very much like to see an extra scout/analyst or two join the ranks though. 

• Options
    Wonder if Sandgaard only brought Roddy in for his academy experience/presence? 

Seems to have sacked him off quite quickly and sharply - keeping him on for when the club want him! 

Presume now the club have category 1 ‘sorted’ - he is needed no longer 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    Wonder if Sandgaard only brought Roddy in for his academy experience/presence? 

Seems to have sacked him off quite quickly and sharply - keeping him on for when the club want him! 

Presume now the club have category 1 ‘sorted’ - he is needed no longer 
    Very much doubt it
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Not at all. Just because Gallen has worked under some testing circumstances, doesn't mean he's a miracle worker. You say he worked under Amis/Southall but who did we bring in that transfer window - Green, Smith, McGeady and Davis, all flopped bar a couple of decent cameos from Green. Of course I'm not blaming him but where was the miracle? 

Roland was a shit owner, we all know that but Gallen still had a larger budget to work with than most of the other clubs in League 1. I have to be say, that seasons recruitment was still superb, particularly the loanees and the vital addition of Purrington in the January. Then in the following season, we made some pretty poor signings. Players like Oztumer and Oshilija didn't even last for us in League 1, let alone the league above. Hemed and Kayal were woeful. Again, not fair to blame him but where was the miracle? We ended up being relegated because the squad wasn't good enough. Yes, injuries certainly played a major part in that as did some questionable substitutes/tactics late on. 

Gallen has had his excuses and the manager certainly shoulders a lot of the blame. Some of the summer additions were slammed because of their performances under Adkins, and are now starting to look a lit better so that's positive. 

Only my opinion but I do think Gallen, like Bowyer, received a bit too much credit purely because of the circumstances they worked under. In a way, that is justified because they don't have the loyalty we do as fans. It does however give them convenient excuses. When Gallen has signed a cracker, we sing his praises. When we sign a few duds, it's because of the ownership or because Sandgaard completed the takeover too late to sign anyone worthwhile (let's not forget that Gunter, Inniss and Watson were tracked all summer). 

Overall, I'm glad he's here. He's shown loyalty and clearly has a good footballing knowledge and some excellent contacts. I think the Director of Football role suits him more because his contacts and negotiating skills are a real asset. I'd very much like to see an extra scout/analyst or two join the ranks though. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions 👍 but I’m with Henry. He’s a miracle worker. The standard of signings that we made given the state of the club over the last few years is staggering. 

Of course not every signing is going to work perfectly, but given he was doing the job of scouting, selling the club, negotiating with clubs and agents combined. He is one of the main reasons we aren’t in league 2. 

I also love the fact he spends the clubs money like it is his own. Such an important thing to have in these situations.
    Fair enough. Not sure the signings have been “staggering” but overall, I’d say they’ve been good. This season was the big one and have to say, so far they look positive, probably not the time to judge yet. 

Completely agree with the point about being short staffed and taking on multiple jobs, he’s definitely an asset to the club and I’ve never said otherwise. 

One of the main reasons we’re not in League 2? Don’t see there being anywhere near accurate to be honest. Any half decent scout makes good signings and some poor ones, irrespective of budget. Every time we’ve been in League 1 we’ve had one of the bigger budgets in the league, going down to League 2 would have needed some real flops, I don’t think most of us on here could have signed enough quality to avoid that. 
  • Options

We've expanded our analyst team since TS bought the club. Believe we have more scouts too but can't find where it was mentioned. At one point before TS came in Gallen was doing the scouting on his own.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6139d07e655f0/in-depth-summer-transfer-window-2021

In September analysts Ruben Sammut, Aaron Barnes (our former academy player) and Dan Pelchen were talked about in the above OS article.

Reading it back it's intersting it says the black box has data on 6.5k players, the below article from today now says 12k players.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61c596681c4de/update-on-the-roles-of-steve-gallen-and-martin-sandgaard
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Sandgaard obviously felt that he wasn't in the loop enough with Roddy involved and has put in someone who will report back better. There were issues with our summer recruitment that were rooted in a lack of good communication between all parties. 
    Source?
    This is something that Bowyer was unhappy about saying that we didn't move fast enough to get a few deals done and lost out on players to other teams because of it. Could well be that the time difference between Colorado and London has caused issues for confirmation of the go-ahead for signings. Having someone TS implicitly trusts (evidently not GR) can only be a good thing as you'd imagine that MS would have the approval to move ahead with a deal if the situation arises. 

People saying what skills does he have that are transferable - manufacturing and supply chain management for a massive medical company probably means he can sort and improve processes and source key elements to produce products, I'd hazard a guess that would include analysing data to a high level and putting together best cases for options on relevant products etc.? 

• Options
    995632 said:
    Chunes said:
    Sandgaard obviously felt that he wasn't in the loop enough with Roddy involved and has put in someone who will report back better. There were issues with our summer recruitment that were rooted in a lack of good communication between all parties. 
    Source?
    This is something that Bowyer was unhappy about saying that we didn't move fast enough to get a few deals done and lost out on players to other teams because of it. Could well be that the time difference between Colorado and London has caused issues for confirmation of the go-ahead for signings. Having someone TS implicitly trusts (evidently not GR) can only be a good thing as you'd imagine that MS would have the approval to move ahead with a deal if the situation arises. 

People saying what skills does he have that are transferable - manufacturing and supply chain management for a massive medical company probably means he can sort and improve processes and source key elements to produce products, I'd hazard a guess that would include analysing data to a high level and putting together best cases for options on relevant products etc.? 

Source?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Firstly I’m not in the know but what the club looked like at the start of the season and the frankly bizarre management structure with GR seemingly at the apex looked to me like all problem roads led to him. The rumours and things that came out of sparrows made me very sceptical about his role and influence. In any case it looks like he’s out and again without full knowledge I’m happy he’s gone. Sometimes it’s just gut instinct. That’s mine. 
  • Options
    So Gallen in charge of recruiting the players after properly checking them out and Martin provides the data for him to do so. Good thing we all saw that coming! Seems like an improvement on the previous system and will hopefully speed things up when it comes to getting players in
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Chunes said:
    Source?

Most likely, reading through the Gallen and Roddy session it was:

Scouts and analysts report to Gallen
    Gallen and Roddy share (meet the model criteria I guess)
    Gallen and Roddy go to Adkins
    Adkins yes/no
    They go to Sandgaard

Convoluted, but if Martin has the company credit card and xyz parameters are met them hopefully no need for a teams call to Colorado.

• Options
    Structure is interesting. Or maybe I'm still scarred by Mills, Dowie, Reed and worry by default 
  • Options
    Structure is interesting. Or maybe I'm still scarred by Mills, Dowie, Reed and worry by default 
    Same here.
    Merry Xmas IAN 
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Chunes said:
    Source?

Most likely, reading through the Gallen and Roddy session it was:

Scouts and analysts report to Gallen
    Gallen and Roddy share (meet the model criteria I guess)
    Gallen and Roddy go to Adkins
    Adkins yes/no
    They go to Sandgaard

Convoluted, but if Martin has the company credit card and xyz parameters are met them hopefully no need for a teams call to Colorado.

Take out the Adkins section and you'd probably be right. 
  • Options
    Is the Australian analyst, Reuben still around, or has he binned along with Roddy? 
  • Options
    Good to see common sense prevail. Right from the off the old adage of no smoke without fire clung to Roddy's involvement.

Happy to see Martin heading up the analytics dept, I'm sure he will learn a lot by working alongside Steve Gallen.

Thomas is learning fast now that running a football club remotely isn't ideal. I think the structure in place now will start to pay dividends.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Is the Australian analyst, Reuben still around, or has he binned along with Roddy? 
    Two different people, Ruben Sammut and Dan Pelchen. No mention of them on the OS article either way.