Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Sandgaard taking on role in player recruitment, replacing Ged Roddy

Comments

• Options
    Major said:
    PWR - so apologies if this has already been said:
    My first thought (Note I didn't put 'I'm hearing'  B)) was that TS is probably pissed with Roddy because Adkins was a crap call and has cost him a packet. So he's sidelined him. 
    He has bought someone in he can trust. His Son will be his eyes and ears but he won't be calling the shots. How can he? Gallen will be the main man. Maybe JJ will have a say....?
    Adkins was not given the job on the nod and the wink from Roddy. 
  • Options
    One decision doesn’t define TS’ tenure, but how anyone can justify this appointment is beyond me. I think there are definitely some blinded by their admiration for Thomas’ role in saving the club.

Kids riding off their parents in life is something they winds me up anyway tbh so maybe I am not the best judge of this situation either.
  • Options
    News just in, Thomas has decided to rebrand Martin as Lady Sandgaard because after some careful research Martin is only marginally less popular than Philip in this years birth registrations. 
    Lady is said to be in two minds about this but Thomas responded “I’m always willing to listen but I made this decision 6-months ago and I won’t be changing it now. Lady will just have to man the fuck up”. 
    Lady, 26, is understood to possess a very powerful shot. 
  • Options
    Big shout out to the Major ??
    For not saying "I'm hearing"  👏

The Brentford model relies on not spending money on an academy but playing "friendlies" with the squad not in the 18 on a match day, so is the polar opposite of CAFC and nearly every other club.

Every club in the top 5 tiers will have sports analysts with data on a computer to go with the chat from agents, scouts, coaches, players, ex players, managers, football bloggers, full time/part time Journalists, and the parents of players.

The "Black box" has been portrayed as a magic formula, similar to Alchemy but can it really spot the difference between the 18 year olds that have and haven't cut their ties with the post code gangs in London, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester etc ?

I understand Brentford are the pied Piper of a football club that let others nurture young talent before they pounce but Gomez, Deji, Lookman, Aribo and Pope, say that Cafc are doing fine with young talent whether really young like Gomez joining Cafc or 19 year old Pope. 

If Young players have to move on then more Lookman transfers and fewer walk aways like Aribo. (Ged Roddy maths then kick in)

Look forward to seeing Thomas and Martin Sandgaard on a Cast Zoom explaining the pecking order and Martin's role in the new set up with Gallen and JJ.
  • Options
    Ahem, Lady….
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:
    My first thought (Note I didn't put 'I'm hearing'  B)) was that TS is probably pissed with Roddy because Adkins was a crap call and has cost him a packet. So he's sidelined him. 
    He has bought someone in he can trust. His Son will be his eyes and ears but he won't be calling the shots. How can he? Gallen will be the main man. Maybe JJ will have a say....?
    How did TS hear about Adkins and what made him think he was the answer without someone in his ear advising him ................. and who was that?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:
    How did TS hear about Adkins and what made him think he was the answer without someone in his ear advising him ................. and who was that?
    Maybe Adkins was looking for a new job and saw the opportunity here when Bowyer was on his way out. Like a normal job application. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:
    Are you suggesting that Thomas would never have heard of him? 

Regardless of what you think of Adkins now, and before he was appointed, he is/was a pretty high profile manager and anyone with more than a passing interest in Premier league football would know who he is.

As I have said before if Thomas was doing the interviews he is exactly the type of person I would expect Thomas to appoint.  You can't argue he doesn't talk a good game and say a lot of the right things. 
  • Options
    Being honest, I would have appointed him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Based on nothing other than supposition, but it sounds like maybe the "committee" approach has been revised or even shelved completely.

Less of the debate where 4-5 people all have to agree on a signing, back to basics: JJ says what he wants, the black box team (now run by Sandy Jr) go looking for those targets and Gallen is the one who gets the deals done. Obviously all of these need to be communicating with each other but hopefully a proper hierarchy and job roles have been established now.

Sandgaard Sr will presumably be less hands on but with his son updating him on progress as ultimately it is his money being spent. 
  • Options
    https://www.castrust.org/2021/09/roddy-and-gallen-meet-the-fans-the-full-story/ 

A reminder of how it was working when Roddy was there and the hierarchy (well if you want to believe it I guess) 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:

Regardless of what you think of Adkins now, and before he was appointed, he is/was a pretty high profile manager and anyone with more than a passing interest in Premier league football would know who he is.

As I have said before if Thomas was doing the interviews he is exactly the type of person I would expect Thomas to appoint.  You can't argue he doesn't talk a good game and say a lot of the right things. 
    He wasn't that high profile, his PL spell was a LONG time ago and he was hardly a well known name like a Pulis, Big Sam, Mark Hughes or Pardew

Before Adkins' name came up, nobody on here had been suggesting him, I don't recall the bookies having him down as a favourite either
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:

He wasn't that high profile, his PL spell was a LONG time ago and he was hardly a well known name like a Pulis, Big Sam, Mark Hughes or Pardew

Before Adkins' name came up, nobody on here had been suggesting him, I don't recall the bookies having him down as a favourite either
    No he isn't that high profile but if you had more than a passing interest in the premier league you would have heard of him.  You wouldn't say the same about Cook, Cowley, Lowe, for example.

For the reasons @sage outlined better than me, it wasn't an unreasonable appointment, not like some of our previous managers.  When I went through a list of unemployed managers at the time it never occurred to me that he would be intrested. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Roddy was obviously TS's main advisor when he hired Adkins and suely would have had a big input into selecting the manager. Roddy was top of the tree with the Manager, Gallen and everybody else below him. He isn't now and there are many other reasons for that, not just his part in hiring Adkins. They say there is no smoke without fire and the negativity about him that many were reporting on here, isn't without justification from some of the stories that i have been told by people who have had direct interaction with him. I can see why those not so close to things might be wetting their pants about the owners son getting involved but in my opinion its all good and the manager and head of recuitment are back at the top of the tree now, where they should be.    
    The latter can be true without the former being benign. In relation to MS I would say that time will tell. Also professional footballers are unlikely to take the owner’s son seriously unless he shows himself to be very competent.

The removal of Roddy, on the other hand, is pretty definitive. I’d expect him to be gone altogether if the category one bid fails. Is it remotely credible that he is needed for the women’s team or to oversee Steve Avory?

no, coz he's caused more problems than positives for the academy from what i hear (re MS - agreed, we will have to wait and see but having Jackson and Gallen calling the shots at the top of the football operation is good from my point of view and i don't see MS's role as being that significant - he's just TS but on site, not remote, from what i can see and if he also crunches ome numbers in a box that helps provide a check on what Jacko and Gallen are proposing then that would seem to be fine - rather that than how it seemed before where the box was the satrting point and then went to gallen, then roddy and then the manager.  
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Nigel Adkins could've worked out as he was a two time course and distance winner in League 1 and may have started the Journey advancing but we were getting worse and his contacts and his network  became more tenuous( wasn't Nigel doing more positive "Ted talks" than football related business before he came to cafc?) then you are yesterday's man and unfortunately for Nigel he couldn't get his message across to players or fans. He waffled and went into a monologue as any of you know who have been on the Zoom meetings with Nads.

Johnnie with backing will improve this team, whether he can do it this season I doubt but 22nd to 8th would be a mega improvement.

Having seen my own career crash and burn when a 30 year old son of the owner got involved I have reservations about Sandgaard Junior But it happens at many clubs and I hope that Martin can Dovetail with Gallen and Jackson because we need it to work.

You can call it Nepotism or looking after one of your own, but If nature forbid anything happens to Thomas Sandgaard then having Martin involved may be a good idea as long as he doesn't pick the team as we tried that !
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:

No he isn't that high profile but if you had more than a passing interest in the premier league you would have heard of him.  You wouldn't say the same about Cook, Cowley, Lowe, for example.

For the reasons @sage outlined better than me, it wasn't an unreasonable appointment, not like some of our previous managers.  When I went through a list of unemployed managers at the time it never occurred to me that he would be intrested. 
    Cook, Cowley and Lowe were all high profile EFL managers, exactly the sort of people I would have gone for. All well known in the game, especially Cook and the Cowleys. Being an ex PL manager is nothing special, Watford must have gone through a dozen by now!

Since the Network manager farce period, none of our managerial appointments have been unreasonable, all at the time seemed to make sense. Slade was a steady pair of hands after the fiasco of the relegation season, Robinson a good manager at this level (6 years at MKD, nearly 4 at Oxford now) plus Bowyer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:

Cook, Cowley and Lowe were all high profile EFL managers, exactly the sort of people I would have gone for. All well known in the game, especially Cook and the Cowleys. Being an ex PL manager is nothing special, Watford must have gone through a dozen by now!

Since the Network manager farce period, none of our managerial appointments have been unreasonable, all at the time seemed to make sense. Slade was a steady pair of hands after the fiasco of the relegation season, Robinson a good manager at this level (6 years at MKD, nearly 4 at Oxford now) plus Bowyer. 
    They are high profile EFL managers I would suspect that Thomas wouldn't have known them from Adam though.  Which is the point I was making as the original answer was to someone asking how would Thomas have heard of Adkins.

I was referring to the network and fag end of Murray's time. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Roddy was obviously TS's main advisor when he hired Adkins and suely would have had a big input into selecting the manager. Roddy was top of the tree with the Manager, Gallen and everybody else below him. He isn't now and there are many other reasons for that, not just his part in hiring Adkins. They say there is no smoke without fire and the negativity about him that many were reporting on here, isn't without justification from some of the stories that i have been told by people who have had direct interaction with him. I can see why those not so close to things might be wetting their pants about the owners son getting involved but in my opinion its all good and the manager and head of recuitment are back at the top of the tree now, where they should be.    
    The latter can be true without the former being benign. In relation to MS I would say that time will tell. Also professional footballers are unlikely to take the owner’s son seriously unless he shows himself to be very competent.

The removal of Roddy, on the other hand, is pretty definitive. I’d expect him to be gone altogether if the category one bid fails. Is it remotely credible that he is needed for the women’s team or to oversee Steve Avory?

no, coz he's caused more problems than positives for the academy from what i hear (re MS - agreed, we will have to wait and see but having Jackson and Gallen calling the shots at the top of the football operation is good from my point of view and i don't see MS's role as being that significant - he's just TS but on site, not remote, from what i can see and if he also crunches ome numbers in a box that helps provide a check on what Jacko and Gallen are proposing then that would seem to be fine - rather that than how it seemed before where the box was the satrting point and then went to gallen, then roddy and then the manager.  
    Can you close those brackets before I have a breakdown? 🤪
    you will have to go cold turkey - it will be better in the long run  :)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:

They are high profile EFL managers I would suspect that Thomas wouldn't have known them from Adam though.  Which is the point I was making as the original answer was to someone asking how would Thomas have heard of Adkins.

I was referring to the network and fag end of Murray's time. 
    I'd be surprised if he remembered Adkins either, unless he's a closet Southampton supporter. He would surely have known Cook though, as Wigan were one of the clubs he looked at as a potential target, and Cook had been their manager in the Championship

I'm sure that the name of Adkins must have been suggested to TS, logically by Roddy seeing that he was the main football guy advising him
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:
    Maybe Adkins was looking for a new job and saw the opportunity here when Bowyer was on his way out. Like a normal job application. 
    But did TS know enough about him, to appoint him, or did he ask someone's opinion, and if so, WHO
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:
    But did TS know enough about him, to appoint him, or did he ask someone's opinion, and if so, WHO
    He clearly did enough that he was happy at the time to appoint him. For the rest of the first season it looked like a really good idea as well, given the form we were in and just missing out on the play offs. 

Yes it went wrong this season but an interview last season would not have predicted that.