Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Sandgaard taking on role in player recruitment, replacing Ged Roddy

Comments

• Options
    Mmm, the Roddy demotion is no doubt a good thing, but from what I’ve heard of Martin Sandgaard’s supposed knowledge of english football he really shouldn’t be having an influential role in our recruitment…
  • Options
    and because you’ll all be wondering what her lines are like, cop a load of this 
  • Options
    Might seem a flippant observation but nepotism hasn't done Leicester or Fulham any harm has it?
    Happy to reserve judgement until we're a couple of transfer windows down the line.
  • Options
    Might seem a flippant observation but nepotism hasn't done Leicester or Fulham any harm has it?
    Happy to reserve judgement until we're a couple of transfer windows down the line.
    It's done Fulham quite a lot of harm, or at least cost the father a shed load of money, as it has with the Jaguars. 
  • Options
    I think people are reading to much into this, I can't see TS's son knowing too much about footballers at this level but I bet he knows what Daddy will or won't spend and how much we are losing every month.
  • Options
    Been trying to make sense of this post……am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    We will have to see what transpires.
    Roddy no longer involved in the men's first team affairs is what the majority wanted.
    Now it's happened we've got nearly 2 pages of non supportive comments. Priceless.

Let's see how Jacko and Gallen get on with the support of MS.
    We don't know what MS's position is with relation to Gallen though. I'd be staggered if Thomas's son worked for Gallen, it'll be more of an equal role

And whatever we might think about Roddy, he's far more qualified to advise on recruitment than MS, whose last Zynex job was Production & Supply Chain Manager

And how did he get that job?

I find this recent appointment of Sandgaard's lad laughable.  It's Sandgaard doing things on the cheap.

Roddy's son ends up in the Charlton First team (if you count the Papa John's Trophy) and Sandgaard's lad is now the data analyst that Gallen didn't ask for.

Do it properly, Thomas.

If such a role is required, get someone who has done it before and who is good at it.

If not, keep your unqualified family and friends out of it.  We had enough of that with Roland.
    Read my post on page two for, IMHO, the most likely reason behind this appointment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Roddy no longer involved in the men's first team affairs is what the majority wanted.
    Now it's happened we've got nearly 2 pages of non supportive comments. Priceless.

We don't know what MS's position is with relation to Gallen though. I'd be staggered if Thomas's son worked for Gallen, it'll be more of an equal role

And whatever we might think about Roddy, he's far more qualified to advise on recruitment than MS, whose last Zynex job was Production & Supply Chain Manager

And how did he get that job?

I find this recent appointment of Sandgaard's lad laughable.  It's Sandgaard doing things on the cheap.

Roddy's son ends up in the Charlton First team (if you count the Papa John's Trophy) and Sandgaard's lad is now the data analyst that Gallen didn't ask for.

Do it properly, Thomas.

If such a role is required, get someone who has done it before and who is good at it.

If not, keep your unqualified family and friends out of it.  We had enough of that with Roland.
    Read my post on page two for, IMHO, the most likely reason behind this appointment.
    Yes, I recognise your hope.

Wishful thinking is fine, of course.
  • Options
    Been trying to make sense of this post……am I missing something?
    @SoundAsa£ bottom of page 2
  • Options
    The good news is, it’s been recognised that the last transfer window was a bit of a shambles, and change is needed.

Whether this transfer window and going forward, are any better remains to be seen.

It was muted right at the beginning of TS’s takeover about following a recruitment model close to that of Brentford, has this actually been followed as yet, or is that what’s about to happen?

I can understand TS being concerned that a lot of money is wasted in football, high wages, transfer fees, agents fees and signing on fees, it’s a blooming minefield, and easy to get your fingers burnt.

But we also need to sign players with a good track record of completing 30 plus games a season, rather than being injury prone as well as having the right personality of character and desire to improve, rather than looking for one last payday, so many different factors to get right, it’s not a surprise that some signings don’t work out, but how do you ‘get them right’ more often than not?
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Why do people think Roddy has been demoted? Surely more like a change of role. He seems better suited on focusing on the Academy and getting Cat 1 status. And why the conspiracy theories about TS’s son? I just don’t get it. Is it just moaning for moaning’s sake!
    it makes me laugh when I see people say they’re willing to give this a chance. Do people really think they have influence!
    Exactly this.

some on here have been moaning about roddy for month. His role changes, still moaning.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Why do people think Roddy has been demoted? Surely more like a change of role. He seems better suited on focusing on the Academy and getting Cat 1 status. And why the conspiracy theories about TS’s son? I just don’t get it. Is it just moaning for moaning’s sake!
    it makes me laugh when I see people say they’re willing to give this a chance. Do people really think they have influence!
    My reasoning for thinking this is a demotion is that a) he seems to have nothing to do with the first team anymore which is the focal point of any club, if you are pivoted away from that I can't see how it would not be a demotion and b) TS mentions even his new role is on a consultancy type basis.

• Options
    The good news is, it’s been recognised that the last transfer window was a bit of a shambles, and change is needed.

Whether this transfer window and going forward, are any better remains to be seen.

It was muted right at the beginning of TS’s takeover about following a recruitment model close to that of Brentford, has this actually been followed as yet, or is that what’s about to happen?

I can understand TS being concerned that a lot of money is wasted in football, high wages, transfer fees, agents fees and signing on fees, it’s a blooming minefield, and easy to get your fingers burnt.

But we also need to sign players with a good track record of completing 30 plus games a season, rather than being injury prone as well as having the right personality of character and desire to improve, rather than looking for one last payday, so many different factors to get right, it’s not a surprise that some signings don’t work out, but how do you ‘get them right’ more often than not?
    Stop signing older players past their best like Watson, Souare, Arter and Gunter would be a start. Pratley was effective because he still had the legs to play CM.
  • Options
    I think/hope Martin Sandgaard’s appointment is just to get rid of Roddy. Gallen has built one promotion winning side already on a smaller budget. You’d hope he’ll be trusted to do it again. 
  • Options
    Agree that this has Driesen vibes about it but TS is pretty open with the fans and i'm sure at the next fans meeting there will be a fuller explanation on how it all works.

If MS is simply helping to identify players via his analytical approach and then Gallen goes to watch them in person before a decision is made and then put to TS for a final decision then it could work quite well.
  • Options
    Pwr the last 2 pages - 

Could Roddys sideways move be a condition of JJ signing, seeing as his replacement is not from the same background and presumably not working to the same remit?  
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    He was technical director before the change, he's technical director after the change. 

He worked with the academy and women's team before the change, he works with the academy and women's team after the change.

Didint know what his level of involvement with the first team was before the change, don't know what his level of involvement with the first team was after the change - if much/ any to begin with outside of recruitment.

All we know, he's been replaced by Marty on the recruitment side.

If that's a demotion don't know, if it's due to him secretly running the whole show or part of a general restructure after a pretty crappy start, don't know. Would be interesting to find out though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Stop signing older players past their best like Watson, Souare, Arter and Gunter would be a start. Pratley was effective because he still had the legs to play CM.
    You also need some experience in the squad and you have been quite selective.  Pearce is older than all of them bar Watson.  Players like Bowen, Bright, Chris Powell V2 and V3, Curbishley even Gritt (resigned), Andy Hughes, Euall, I could go on, were all past their best when we (re) signed them and had really positive impacts.

You need the right blend. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I find this appointment a bit concerning if I'm being honest. I'd like to see someone with a bit of pedigree and experience come in, someone with a proven track record. MS could be great but I think it's more likely he'll be a dud.

Hoping for the best but fearing the worst. 
  • Options

spot on - i told this board this had happened 2 weeks ago anyway and its all good
  • Options
    Sandgaard obviously felt that he wasn't in the loop enough with Roddy involved and has put in someone who will report back better. There were issues with our summer recruitment that were rooted in a lack of good communication between all parties. 
    Source?
  • Options
    Three pages of speculation, but literally all we know about this is that, 'Martin is taking on an increased role in Charlton Athletic’s player recruitment process'. I'm taking that to mean that Thomas is no longer fussed about personally controlling the spends and has delegated cheque writing to his son. Happy days!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

You also need some experience in the squad and you have been quite selective.  Pearce is older than all of them bar Watson.  Players like Bowen, Bright, Chris Powell V2 and V3, Curbishley even Gritt (resigned), Andy Hughes, Euall, I could go on, were all past their best when we (re) signed them and had really positive impacts.

You need the right blend. 
    Of course you do but the blend is wrong. We can’t rotate and bring energy into the side. It’s not about age it’s about their ability to contribute to a promotion winning team. With a cap in place we can’t afford to carry so many players that we’re reluctant to use.

Pearce plays in the middle of a back three which hides his lack of pace. He’s still fit and quick enough to play that role.

Andy Hughes was another Pratley. He was capable of playing in a midfield two in a flat 4-4-2. Watson and Arter don’t impress even at the base of a three.

Euell wasn’t really there to play, he made a few sub appearances and ended the season out on loan with AFC Wimbledon. Once we had Haynes and various loanees we didn’t need him and he moved on.

Our two recent L1 promotion sides didn’t have so many older players who offered so little on the pitch.

Souare and Arter will be gone by the summer. Watson at most will do a Euell role. Gunter will probably activate his extension option and hopefully play fewer games next season.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think people are reading to much into this, I can't see TS's son knowing too much about footballers at this level but I bet he knows what Daddy will or won't spend and how much we are losing every month.
    Exactly this, I can’t see Martin telling SG, we are going to sign blabla from Exeter City what are your views? This imo will be Steve going to Martin and saying I want this player from this club, he’s worth this much, Martin will look into then approve or decline, I would assume Martin would look if this particular player fits into our strategy, long term vision etc etc..