Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Sandgaard taking on role in player recruitment, replacing Ged Roddy

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Should be the end of any future suggestions that Ged has undue influence at the club.
    It suggests he's been demoted though, no? 
     His duties have been forcefully refocused I'd say.

The Danish mafia at it again.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Should be the end of any future suggestions that Ged has undue influence at the club.
    There are valid questions to be asked of Roddy and how much input he has had and what into but I have said for a while any suggestion that he is some sort of maceveiilion puppet master are well wide of the mark. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Shit idea 
    I think it’s more to do with getting young Martin an accepted and identifiable role around the place.
    Let’s face it, he’s simply been sent here to keep an eye on things in general …..if he can possibly assist Gallen in some positive way I would be both surprised and delighted, however exactly what he can contribute is puzzling to say the least.
    Gallen has forgotten more about the world of professional football than Martin knows or is ever likely to.
    Should Martin be seen to so much as hint at putting a block on or disagreeing with a target that Gallen is identifying, I dread to think of the consequences.
    As I say……he’s really here to be his dad’s eyes and ears than to actually involve himself in the decision making re player comings and goings…….at least I bloody hope so!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    If it’s on a suggestions basis and Gallen/Jackson can say no, I’m ok with it. Similarly, I think Martin might have a better time persuading his dad for the money for a new player, not that TS has been stingy but you know what I mean.

It takes Roddy out of the recruitment process and focusing on his area of expertise.
    I'm in the 'wait and see what happens' camp.

Thomas says, “(Martin) will be doing that more from an analytical point of view, working together with Steve Gallen.”

To me, it sounds like the boy Sandgaard is assisting Steve Gallen, and working together with him. It gives him a chance to learn on the job and  gain experience in analysing player performance, character, etc.

Right now, I don't see a problem. Let's see how it goes.

For the moment, that’s how I see it too 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roddy has I've heard been blamed for the Adkins appointment. Bold move this from Mr Sandgaard. Let's hope it works out. It does leave him open to an awful lot of constructive criticism if it goes belly up. I still think we will just scrape into the playoffs. Credit to Thomas for being up front with Martins role as well. Transparency is good.
    'transparency is good'. Oh, the irony.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Shit idea 
    I think it’s more to do with getting young Martin an accepted and identifiable role around the place.
    Let’s face it, he’s simply been sent here to keep an eye on things in general …..if he can possibly assist Gallen in some positive way I would be both surprised and delighted, however exactly what he can contribute is puzzling to say the least.
    Gallen has forgotten more about the world of professional football than Martin knows or is ever likely to.
    Should Martin be seen to so much as hint at putting a block on or disagreeing with a target that Gallen is identifying, I dread to think of the consequences.
    As I say……he’s really here to be his dad’s eyes and ears than to actually involve himself in the decision making re player comings and goings…….at least I bloody hope so!
    That just isn't possible, Martin knows more about football than anybody. He also had a successful football career in this country & has a hard shot .............................. or so his dad said anyway.
  • Options
    I think the appointment of Martin will probably prove to be a positive one. The changes announced leave JJ and Gallen picking the players with TS setting the budget. Martin being involved shows TS is committed long term. To be fair it will take years for him to learn Gallens job but keeping his dad Upto speed can only be a good thing.

• Options
    We will have to see what transpires.
    Roddy no longer involved in the men's first team affairs is what the majority wanted.
    Now it's happened we've got nearly 2 pages of non supportive comments. Priceless.

Let's see how Jacko and Gallen get on with the support of MS.
    We don't know what MS's position is with relation to Gallen though. I'd be staggered if Thomas's son worked for Gallen, it'll be more of an equal role

And whatever we might think about Roddy, he's far more qualified to advise on recruitment than MS, whose last Zynex job was Production & Supply Chain Manager
  • Options
    "Interesting" strategy, appointing a relative. I wonder if Charlie Kirk has a kiddie we can play on the left wing?

With no background or experience in English professional football I hope Sandgaard Junior's role is restricted to working with the data analytics guys feeding into Gallen who is our front man with other clubs. Gallen's expertise as a negotiator has already been publicly acknowledged by TS so lets not bugger that up by fielding either Sandgaard in negotiations.
  • Options
    Not a great idea. F C owners and their family members should keep well away from transfer and team selection policy .. just chuck in the cash Sandy and leave the football to the professionals .. having said that, I for one would not shed any tears if Roddy was to be given his P45
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    If it’s on a suggestions basis and Gallen/Jackson can say no, I’m ok with it. Similarly, I think Martin might have a better time persuading his dad for the money for a new player, not that TS has been stingy but you know what I mean.

It takes Roddy out of the recruitment process and focusing on his area of expertise.
    I'm in the 'wait and see what happens' camp.

Thomas says, “(Martin) will be doing that more from an analytical point of view, working together with Steve Gallen.”

To me, it sounds like the boy Sandgaard is assisting Steve Gallen, and working together with him. It gives him a chance to learn on the job and  gain experience in analysing player performance, character, etc.

Right now, I don't see a problem. Let's see how it goes.

Exactly how I see it - analysis seems to be a crucial aspect of recruitment for the best clubs these days, and there is noone better to learn from.
  • Options
    Ged demoted and more of a consultant. I would bet he will be gone before the end of 2022.
  • Options
    The thing is none of us actually know, with any authority, which aspects of the jobs any of these characters are good at and what they actually do.

For example my impression of Gallen is he is a great "contacts and contracts" man but not a great scout. 

The only evidence I have of that is what people say in public and what actually happens since he has been here.

My impression of Roddy is he was tasked with something totally alien to his previous experience, and probably skill set, and he made a total balls up of it.  What I have no idea of is whos idea was it that it should be part of his remit? 
  • Options
    The way I see this is that Thomas himself want more input in the recruitment and seen as he can be hands on deck all the time he allowing Martin to report back to him. 

If this is the case im so sure it’s a good thing but only time will tell. Based on the Schwartz fiasco and the fact Thomas seems to advocate buying young players developing them and selling them on then I wouldn’t be too excited
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Chunes said:
    Is that in response to what I said or did you mean it as its own point? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Is that in response to what I said or did you mean it as its own point? 
    Bit of both. 

It would end future suggestions that Ged has undue influence I agree. But whether he did initially is still up for debate. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I'm willing to give this a chance as Martin could turn out to be a real asset and if he does well then great, as in reality all that matters is that he does a good job. 

However this still has nepotism and dishonesty involved. Hiring family members when TS bought the club as a partner would have been a lot different and more respectable, as you are starting off on same footing and have bought the club together with a more likely shared aim, the Coates Family at Stoke being an example of this, but doing it now to change the structure of a system that he implemented, from the outside never looks good in any workplaces. Every time something doesn't look right in the structure off the pitch, it will just be put down to a "job for sons" from some fans and rightly in some part. I just don't think it creates a good atmosphere amongst staff and can easily a divide a workplace.

Equally, if Roddy has now changed his role to focus on the academy and women's team. Someone correct me if I have got it wrong, but didn't Sandgaard say this was his role in the interview with the fans advisor in the summer and nothing to do with recruitment. If this is true he has not be honest from day 1 about what his role is and since this interview in the summer I have said before is when I started to have serious doubts about TS and how much he was running the club properly, as not only did he not look comfortable when asked questions, I don't think he was honest.

Good luck to him and hopefully he turns out to be great.

• Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLkuuUavMk

Clough sums this up perfectly. Leave the running of the football side to the professionals 😉
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    UEAAddick said:
    I'm willing to give this a chance as Martin could turn out to be a real asset and if he does well then great, as in reality all that matters is that he does a good job. 

However this still has nepotism and dishonesty involved. Hiring family members when TS bought the club as a partner would have been a lot different and more respectable, as you are starting off on same footing and have bought the club together with a more likely shared aim, the Coates Family at Stoke being an example of this, but doing it now to change the structure of a system that he implemented, from the outside never looks good in any workplaces. Every time something doesn't look right in the structure off the pitch, it will just be put down to a "job for sons" from some fans and rightly in some part. I just don't think it creates a good atmosphere amongst staff and can easily a divide a workplace.

Equally, if Roddy has now changed his role to focus on the academy and women's team. Someone correct me if I have got it wrong, but didn't Sandgaard say this was his role in the interview with the fans advisor in the summer and nothing to do with recruitment. If this is true he has not be honest from day 1 about what his role is and since this interview in the summer I have said before is when I started to have serious doubts about TS and how much he was running the club properly, as not only did he not look comfortable when asked questions, I don't think he was honest.

Good luck to him and hopefully he turns out to be great.

You’ve got it wrong. TS said there was a committee of him, Gallen, Roddy and Adkins for recruitment in the summer. Gallen and Roddy confirmed this in the Zoom meet with CAST. 

In the interview today TS kind of blurted out the “consultancy” status thing at the end, but it speaks volumes.

I’m not much keen on family members being brought into management either, but it is also possible that his son will play some of  the role that he himself did in the summer. TS has surely realised that he has not got the time to micro-manage Charlton. As owner of a small publicly- owned company he gets as much heat from amateur punters as he does from fans, but some of those punters can be  more of a material problem to Zynex than CL punters ever can to Charlton, and they like to suggest that he spends too much time on us. I’m giving Thomas a break on this. 

Yep that's fair enough, I was a bit unsure on it.  

Thanks
  • Options
    The actual scouting "black box" process doesn't seem now to be quite the disaster it first appeared so if Sandy Jr. is just taking over as head of the team with Gallen retaining authority over who actually does get signed and on what terms, I'm not seeing it as overly problematic straight away.

Certainly I am not blind to the nepotism argument but its not impossible that Sandgaard II might be genuinely competent in his own right and also have an insight into his father's views and be a strong link if TS is abroad. 

I suppose right now I am in the position of not being immediately concerned as such but certainly very interested to see what kind of business now happens in January. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have been told previously that it was Martin who identified Dobson as part of his black box approach. 

Doesnt mean that every deal will work out

But doesnt mean every deal will be a Driesen disaster 
    He wasn't in the UK until November though? 

Seems a bit wishful thinking. 
    Does data not travel across the Atlantic? 
    It does. There’s a postal run on the  SS Great Western . Departs Avonmouth and averages a crossing in just 16 days. Remarkable.
  • Options
    Yeah... think we need to chill and give some Slack to TS re: getting MS involved. Hopefully he will be of help to Gallen. Time will tell. 

Roddy focusing on getting Cat 1 status seems like a win win. That is a hugely important endeavour for the club.