Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• A bit concerned about that TS comment about Mason, which certainly doesn't rule out Mason leaving today

I accept that he will leave, but we really can't afford to lose him at the moment, as with Stockley injured that would leave us with just 2 strikers.
  • Oggy Red said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    Scoham said:
    im reading that as there is a decent chance he goes tonight 
    And if he does, we need a new striker, like today!

Greats an interesting scenario.

Fraser coming in means we dont have any squad places left... Burstow doesnt take one up

So if Burstow goes, then yeah we need to sign a new Striker

But we'd need to move someone on first.
    We can't sell Burstow and take him back on loan because we already have 5 loans. 

If we sell him we need to have something else lined up or we are extremely short up top. 
  • A bit concerned about that TS comment about Mason, which certainly doesn't rule out Mason leaving today

I accept that he will leave, but we really can't afford to lose him at the moment, as with Stockley injured that would leave us with just 2 strikers.
    He’s being realistic unfortunately 
    if someone comes in with £5m the. He’s off
  • edited January 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    Scoham said:

Fraser coming in means we dont have any squad places left... Burstow doesnt take one up

We have space, Castillo and John both count as u21.
  • Interested to see how this pans out.

If we sell Mason today for say 4-5 million, but have him back on loan for the rest of the season, I think most of us would see it as good business.

If he goes today with no loan back clause, then I agree we need another striker
  • Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    I know it's the reality of where we are, but still don't like the sound of that.

Thomas says, "Show us your money, and you can have him now ..... if it's silly money".

Otherwise we'll keep him until the summer.

Agree with Oggy. Premier clubs are like vultures swooping down on young talent in the lower leagues. It's ugly but it's real and it's all about money. I wish we had an owner who could tell the top clubs to get stuffed...but I'm just being stupid. The players themselves probably long for lucrative contracts - no matter they will never play for their parent club (like Chelsea) and end up being loaned out for ever. Sighs...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    Scoham said:

We can't sell Burstow and take him back on loan because we already have 5 loans. 

If we sell him we need to have something else lined up or we are extremely short up top. 
    We can have more than 5 loans, we just can't choose more than 5 in the matchday squad.

That certainly was the rule

A big offer will be hard to turn down. It could open the door for Kanu to come in to the first team reckoning. 
  • I reckon having a game tonight will prevent him from going. I would hope that the chairman wouldn't sell a player less than 5 hours before a game!!

if he scores 5 more goals this season, that will increase his value! Sell in the summer and get him back on loan next year 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m not saying I agree but let’s be honest a year ago nobody has heard of first time so getting £5 million in the kitty would represent fantastic business

• I reckon having a game tonight will prevent him from going. I would hope that the chairman wouldn't sell a player less than 5 hours before a game!!

if he scores 5 more goals this season, that will increase his value! Sell in the summer and get him back on loan next year 
    I guess it depends on the price. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    Scoham said:

We can have more than 5 loans, we just can't choose more than 5 in the matchday squad.

That is the rule, I suppose leaving Lee or Leko out isn't as unlikely as it was 2 weeks ago. 
  • The decision makers within the club must be asking themselves whether Burstow's a better prospect than Kanu and whether selling Burstow and freeing up a striker's spot will encourage Kanu to sign a proper contract? It's a very tough call.

If he said he not leaving and we get 15 mill bid for him tonight and we sell him think of the melt down there would be .. TS not stupid he knows if we got a silly bid for him he would go because a club can’t stop players leaving nowadays … it’s far to soon for him to leave now now where ready to step up .. not even proved at this level yet 

• Roland would've sold him already, probably for 800k.
  • “We have got multiple Premier League teams who are fishing to see if they can do a quick deal when it comes to Burstow,” Sandgaard told the South London Press.

“We’ll see what happens. I don’t think any of them have come up to the price level that I’m expecting, considering his talent. We’re just sitting tight.

“In contrast to the past, we can sit back and wait to see if the price is right instead of panicking and selling on the last day of the window. That is not happening any more.

“There is a right value for a very talented player like Mason Burstow.

“We’ll see what happens. If it doesn’t happen now then maybe it will happen in the next year or two.”

Seems the right approach to me.

Yes, we'll sell him but you are going to pay our price, not some silly compensation fee.

AS I said before, every club bar Chelsea and Man City is a selling club so we will sell but if we get a good fee and that is reinvested then that's the best we can hope for.  Cat 1 would make it harder and more costly for other clubs to nick our young players for peanuts.

Perfect statement from TS.

If a club came in with a multi million fee and an 18 month loan back clause, who is saying no?
  • “We have got multiple Premier League teams who are fishing to see if they can do a quick deal when it comes to Burstow,” Sandgaard told the South London Press.

“We’ll see what happens. I don’t think any of them have come up to the price level that I’m expecting, considering his talent. We’re just sitting tight.

“In contrast to the past, we can sit back and wait to see if the price is right instead of panicking and selling on the last day of the window. That is not happening any more.

“We’ll see what happens. If it doesn’t happen now then maybe it will happen in the next year or two.”

Yes, we'll sell him but you are going to pay our price, not some silly compensation fee.

AS I said before, every club bar Chelsea and Man City is a selling club so we will sell but if we get a good fee and that is reinvested then that's the best we can hope for.  Cat 1 would make it harder and more costly for other clubs to nick our young players for peanuts.

Doesn't he only have 18 months left on his contract?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    I know it's the reality of where we are, but still don't like the sound of that.

Thomas says, "Show us your money, and you can have him now ..... if it's silly money".

Otherwise we'll keep him until the summer.

Why not beyond the summer if we don't  need it at that time and if the contract he is on is long enough. 
    Chances are the Premiershit "vultures" will be circling, then the player gets unsettled.
    And everybody gets £££££££££ signs in their eyes.

Then we give Josh Davidson a year's extension on his contract.

• Sponsored links:

Cat 1 makes little difference here as he's under a professional contract and over 18. And he's not an academy product that we've nurtured from a young age anyway, he only joined us in October 2020.

Yes I obviously trust TS more than Roland or Katrien, but the key thing is that his contract doesn't run out in the summer. If that was the case and Mason wouldn't sign an extension, TS would have flogged him in this window already.
  • Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    Scoham said:

We have space, Castillo and John both count as u21.
    I ignored Castillo and John as knew they both counted towards being U21s anyway, presume that Castillo doesnt count because although he's now 22-years old, he was 21 when the season started... Same with Morgan.

But then forgot that Davison had left as well, which leaves us with one or two slots in the team

Schwartz (Replaced by Aneke)
    Kirk (Replaced by Scott Fraser)
    Arter (Replaced by Forster-Caskey, or its a free slot)
    Davison (No one has taken his slot in the team)
  • edited January 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    Scoham said:

Yeah we can have more than five on loan if we want.

Only time I've known us to do that though is when someone like Sam Field was out long term injured, so we signed a sixth loan player because we didnt expect Sam to be involved again that season - So even if we sold Burstow now, I doubt we'd loan him back, as we wouldnt want to piss off the other teams we've already loaned kids from.

Perfect statement from TS.

If a club came in with a multi million fee and an 18 month loan back clause, who is saying no?
    no, i think a perfect statement would have ended with 'and if we can push ourselves up the divisions in quick order then maybe Mason won't need to leave in order to fulfill his potential'

If he said he not leaving and we get 15 mill bid for him tonight and we sell him think of the melt down there would be .. TS not stupid he knows if we got a silly bid for him he would go because a club can’t stop players leaving nowadays … it’s far to soon for him to leave now now where ready to step up .. not even proved at this level yet 

I don’t think anybody would have a meltdown if he went for £15m. 
    If he went for £3m and we reinvested that in some promotion ready players in the summer i'd be happy - he ain't gonna fire us to promotion in the next couple of years in my opinion -he's just a very promising talent at the moment.  
  • edited January 2022
    A bit concerned about that TS comment about Mason, which certainly doesn't rule out Mason leaving today

...providing the money, or part of it, gets used to good effect to the benefit of the team, and I have no doubt Thomas will do the right thing..
  • DOUCHER said:
    A bit concerned about that TS comment about Mason, which certainly doesn't rule out Mason leaving today

If he went for £3m and we reinvested that in some promotion ready players in the summer i'd be happy - he ain't gonna fire us to promotion in the next couple of years in my opinion -he's just a very promising talent at the moment.  
    Sell him in the summer, invest the money in a centre back and 2 rapid wing backs, promote Kanu to the first team and away we go.
  • Mason will eventually go if he keeps doing what he is doing I'm sadly sure, however I think the big difference with TS is he wont sell cheap, he has seen what he is having to pay for players and wont under sell a player of Masons potential