Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Please no more 36-year-old midfielders...
  • To be honest I care much more about a players reputation after they've signed for us, not before! Dobson is a revelation. If Fraser has the same engine and effort I'll be happy. I'd rather have an average player working his socks off, than a top quality lazy fecker. 
    The problem is we have too many average players :)
  • Charlie Adam  :D thought he'd retired about 10 years ago 
  • “We have got multiple Premier League teams who are fishing to see if they can do a quick deal when it comes to Burstow,” Sandgaard told the South London Press.

“We’ll see what happens. I don’t think any of them have come up to the price level that I’m expecting, considering his talent. We’re just sitting tight.

“In contrast to the past, we can sit back and wait to see if the price is right instead of panicking and selling on the last day of the window. That is not happening any more.

“There is a right value for a very talented player like Mason Burstow.

“We’ll see what happens. If it doesn’t happen now then maybe it will happen in the next year or two.”

Seems the right approach to me.

Yes, we'll sell him but you are going to pay our price, not some silly compensation fee.

AS I said before, every club bar Chelsea and Man City is a selling club so we will sell but if we get a good fee and that is reinvested then that's the best we can hope for.  Cat 1 would make it harder and more costly for other clubs to nick our young players for peanuts.

Cat 1 makes little difference here as he's under a professional contract and over 18. And he's not an academy product that we've nurtured from a young age anyway, he only joined us in October 2020.

Yes I obviously trust TS more than Roland or Katrien, but the key thing is that his contract doesn't run out in the summer. If that was the case and Mason wouldn't sign an extension, TS would have flogged him in this window already.
    Not in this particular case, no, but generally it gives us more control and money.

We'll still sell good players, and any fan thinking we won't is being naïve, but we might hold on to them a little longer and get better value. 
  • Fraser seems a strange signing - every midfielder we get in seems to underperform.

Fraser, if fit really isn't a strange signing and is quite ambitious as the lad is still 26.
    Both Dobson (defensive midfielder) and most fans choice of POTY, and Gilbey most games have performed to a good standard.

The attacking midfielder has been the Problem with Morgan (under Adkins) and Lee have never delivered on a regular basis (failed most of the time) and Kirk attempt at playing central and the number 10 role
    (attacking midfielder)  saw him given some of the lowest scores ever on the Players marks. ( I didn't see the game so can only go by the erratic Cafc fans !)

Both DJ and Leko have had good games at RWB but both run out of steam as the workload is alien to them. 
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Plaaayer said:

Fuck off twat Plaaayer. You do realise this is bullying  now and I shall make this a complaint. 

So , what is it to do with you ? 

Perfectly describes you , knuckle headed bullying Coward.
    If 1956 is your year of birth, that puts you the same age as me.  I hope I haven't developed a humour bypass.
    So you need to have a dig too. What is up with you ? 1956 is not my birth year either so thankfully I have not that in common with you  .  
    To have a humour bypass you would  need to have had  sense of humour,  surely. 
    I'm so glad you cleared that up. So if it isn't a humour bypass, what is making you so miserable?
  • edited January 2022
    I do not see any issues with the comments Thomas has made,
    We are not a basket run club anymore, we will not accept a stupid 2-4m sum for a player of Mason's potential, If Chelsea come in with 7-15m bid including add ons, with a loan back until the end of the season then we have to consider it, We are a league one club.

That would allow us to rebuild properly in the summer and give Thomas a little bit back from what he has put into the club.

I understand our supporters feelings about Mason only just starting to come through and showing what he can do. But with the position the club is in at the moment. We are unfortunately a smaller fish in a big pond.

And big money does talk.
  • edited January 2022
    I hope Nile John can play upfront or wingback as he appears to have been written out of our midfield already : - )

Young Nile will get game time as football stopped being 11 players for 90+ minutes years ago.
    Only 18 but hopefully he is as fit as Gilbey and the born again athlete that is Morgan.
    Fraser isn't match fit so Nile John may well get ahead of Lee or Morgan ?
    I always hope the passing ability is above League 1 players but can he make the transition from youth and U23 games with premier coaches to the bread and butter of the 3rd tier.

We wish Nile John well when he gets his chance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Charlie Adam  :D thought he'd retired about 10 years ago 

Another quality Dundee export ((:>)  .. someone well  i t k told me a time ago that when Adam was at Blackpool, ostensibly managed by Ian Holloway, that he (Adam) was the tactical and coaching wizard who got promotion for the club to the Prem .. he was one time a radio pundit and always spoke with great sense and authority .. tragic personal issues motivated his move back to Scotland .. I'd welcome him at CAFC .. we can dream can't we 
  • edited January 2022
    I suppose we could Loan back Burstow of he's sold and send Lee back to Luton to deal with the match day loan issue. 

With Fraser in you could say he takes Lee's role in side. 

Not ideal imo but a possibility if need be.
  • @Happy Valley is back so all is good with the world
    Just wondering if Happy Valley is really Jim White, only comes out on deadline day?

• edited January 2022

Welcome back by the way HV!
  • @Happy Valley is back so all is good with the world
    Just wondering if Happy Valley is really Jim White, only comes out on deadline day?

lol .. 10+ year veteran ? .. White is a comparative virgin on the Charlton beat 
  • I suppose we could Loan back Burstow of he's sold and send Lee back to Luton to deal with the match day loan issue. 

We could "do a Shinnie" with Lee outside the window, unless he is recalled today, there is nothing to stop us doing that tomorrow or next week. 
  • Re; Burstow, we may all have ideas of what an appropriate figure for him is and not selling anyone on 'the cheap' anymore, however, when you're funding a loss making entity such as we are, our idea of £10 - £15m versus TS looking at covering costs next season, means we may have to accept that we get a fee in the region of what Gomez was sold to Liverpool for
  • Sponsored links:

• Thomas Sandgaard outlines his key objective after Charlton confirm Scott Fraser transfer

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1114116495?-11197:833
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I suppose we could Loan back Burstow of he's sold and send Lee back to Luton to deal with the match day loan issue. 

We could "do a Shinnie" with Lee outside the window, unless he is recalled today, there is nothing to stop us doing that tomorrow or next week. 
    Good point, indeed with Lee it would be an identical situation with both out of contract in the summer, and I doubt Luton would offer Lee a new contract either
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Not a bad shout that. 
  • Swisdom said:
    I’m not saying I agree but let’s be honest a year ago nobody has heard of first time so getting £5 million in the kitty would represent fantastic business

Just because he's burst onto the scene and we didn't know him last year, doesn't mean we should accept lower than his worth. 
  • edited January 2022
    cabbles said:
    Re; Burstow, we may all have ideas of what an appropriate figure for him is and not selling anyone on 'the cheap' anymore, however, when you're funding a loss making entity such as we are, our idea of £10 - £15m versus TS looking at covering costs next season, means we may have to accept that we get a fee in the region of what Gomez was sold to Liverpool for
    A significant part of having an academy for any club, even including the likes of Man City and Chelsea, but especially for clubs the size of us, is trying to turn a profit on a few players when you sell them. It's an important source of income for clubs. If you can get a few seasons out of these youngsters and also use them to progress the team up the leagues then that's a huge bonus, but reality is we have to sell some of them too. It's one of our only available sources of significant income at this level - one big deal could potentially exceed the TV rights and/or gate money we receive in a season.

On Burstow specifically, he has that natural instinct for goals which will always attract admiring glances, but the rest if his game needs a good amount of polishing yet. Not saying for a second he can't be polished, but I'd be surprised if he's yet rated so highly that we'll receive a silly money bid. Five more goals between now and the end of the season and that might change, but 5 to 10 m for a striker with 2 league goals to his name, even if they have come early in his career, is silly money even by modern Premier League lunacy standards.
  • edited January 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    This will surprise a few… but well done to the Club & Sandgaard for getting the Fraser deal done today.

A really ambitious & good signing if used correctly (we’ll have to use that green stuff now) 

… of course it will all offset if he now sells Money Mase today.

To those talking of £7-15m transfer fees absolute lunacy - even Ivan Toney only went for £5m riding to £9m
    Yeah but u21 count as home grown players when the new loan rules come in. That's going to add yet another premium to young English players for Chelsea etc to.keep manipulating rules.
  • Or Matthews, or Soure!