Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    3 signings in the January window already & still 4 days to go.

This doesn't feel very Charlton!!

The underwhelming feeling is just the same.
    We're a mid table league 1 club so expectations should be managed accordingly. 

My point stands. I'm pleased to see our business done relatively early, signing players we actually want rather than scratching around for whatever's available on deadline day
    In Jan 2011 prior to the big summer rebuild we signed Bradley Wright-Philips who was knocking them in at Plymouth. I'm sorry but two 18 years olds and possibly a player just returning from a very bad injury, still strikes me as scratching around.
    Who is the second 18 year old? John and?

we've also signed a proven league 1 goal scorers and a loan from Chelsea who fits in with the formation the manager likes to play. When did we last have a better Jan window?
    Ok, my apologies one is 22 with 5 1st team appearances to his name and a 18 year old. You've persuaded me, we've done well.
    An 18 year old that has played for the 1st team twice for Spurs and played for England at u15 to u17 and now for the u19’s and comes with a personal recommendation from Sir Chris Powell.

Whoever is scratching around needs to keep doing it.

How many players who play for England in those age groups actually make it. But it comes from Sir Chris must good then and if he is so what might push us up a couple places in the shite league. 
    But isn't being pushed up a couple of places in a shite league better than not? You would rather finish 14th than 12th? 
    12th or 14th no big deal, rather see some intent in building for next season, but yes I get that prices are generally inflated in the transfer market in January. I just can't get excited at the prospect of watching kids from another club, I guess that's just me though.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Real question is when Stockley returns will we look better? I can't help but feel like Lee's downturn in form has occurred when the Stockley Injury occurred  and he does help the linkup play a lot, if that is the case do we need another striker? 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    3 signings in the January window already & still 4 days to go.

This doesn't feel very Charlton!!

The underwhelming feeling is just the same.
    We're a mid table league 1 club so expectations should be managed accordingly. 

My point stands. I'm pleased to see our business done relatively early, signing players we actually want rather than scratching around for whatever's available on deadline day
    In Jan 2011 prior to the big summer rebuild we signed Bradley Wright-Philips who was knocking them in at Plymouth. I'm sorry but two 18 years olds and possibly a player just returning from a very bad injury, still strikes me as scratching around.
    Who is the second 18 year old? John and?

we've also signed a proven league 1 goal scorers and a loan from Chelsea who fits in with the formation the manager likes to play. When did we last have a better Jan window?
    Ok, my apologies one is 22 with 5 1st team appearances to his name and a 18 year old. You've persuaded me, we've done well.
    An 18 year old that has played for the 1st team twice for Spurs and played for England at u15 to u17 and now for the u19’s and comes with a personal recommendation from Sir Chris Powell.

Whoever is scratching around needs to keep doing it.

How many players who play for England in those age groups actually make it. But it comes from Sir Chris must good then and if he is so what might push us up a couple places in the shite league. 
    But isn't being pushed up a couple of places in a shite league better than not? You would rather finish 14th than 12th? 
    12th or 14th no big deal, rather see some intent in building for next season, but yes I get that prices are generally inflated in the transfer market in January. I just can't get excited at the prospect of watching kids from another club, I guess that's just me though.
    That's understandable. I want Charlton to finish as high as possible and if that happens by improving a spurs youngster rather than playing Watson, then I'm happy
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Yes, I read that article and assumed their was one - hence the confusion.

It would be great if it exists, but I can’t see why the player would be mistaken about his own contract.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Yes, I read that article and assumed their was one - hence the confusion.

It would be great if it exists, but I can’t see why the player would be mistaken about his own contract.
    difference between his contract with Colchester ie how much they pay him and for how long and the deal between Charlton and Colchester but I agree you would think he'd know if there was one.
  • Options
    I see Steve Cooper forest manager last night said Taylor wasn't in squad due to an imminent loan move. Where do we reckon he Is going then?
    Birmingham I reckon
    Ooo... What do I win... I TOLD YOU SO!!...

• Options
    Perfect fit for club and player
  • Options
    T said:
    I think some of us have ideas way above our station... better ball playing centrebacks, bombing on wing backs, proven striker etc 

Every single club with aspirations of moving up has a full scouting 'black box' which will have tabs on on players from 13 onwards will have screened every single player that meets our requirements, we're currently the 57th best team in the country.  All will want a proven striker and ball playing defenders and at least 15 of the teams above us play with wingbacks. 

Only way we will bringing people that fit the mould as above are either a loan, a risk no one wants to take a punt on, someone with a connection, a kid through our academy, coaching or outbidding the 57 other clubs.  Short term we have those first three options. 
    True but we aren't the 57th best paying club.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see Steve Cooper forest manager last night said Taylor wasn't in squad due to an imminent loan move. Where do we reckon he Is going then?
    Birmingham I reckon

I have no idea why this has taken so long, is Gallen moonlighting at Birmingham?

This has been happening since about November. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Birmingham I reckon

I have no idea why this has taken so long, is Gallen moonlighting at Birmingham?

This has been happening since about November. 🤷‍♂️
    Exactly. The same time things started to progress with Aneke returning, Birmingham ensured they had things enough down the line for Taylor to join.
  • Options
    T said:
    I think some of us have ideas way above our station... better ball playing centrebacks, bombing on wing backs, proven striker etc 

Every single club with aspirations of moving up has a full scouting 'black box' which will have tabs on on players from 13 onwards will have screened every single player that meets our requirements, we're currently the 57th best team in the country.  All will want a proven striker and ball playing defenders and at least 15 of the teams above us play with wingbacks. 

Only way we will bringing people that fit the mould as above are either a loan, a risk no one wants to take a punt on, someone with a connection, a kid through our academy, coaching or outbidding the 57 other clubs.  Short term we have those first three options. 
    So you've accepted that we are a league one club, with championship aspirations.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    For what it’s worth the feedback of my Spurs mad mate… sounds more like an 8 than a 10

I really want to know how much youth team football has this "mad Spurs fan" seen ??  If he is anything like most fans (and I include myself here) I'd say not a lot.  

And as for "not looking out of place when playing for the first team"......he's started one match, and a sub appearance, both in the Europa League  !! 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Finding it really hard to get excited about any of our signings ATM. We will be looking to rebuild again in the summer with more loans and players with histories of long term injuries. On top of that (apart from staying up) our season is over. 
    Gallagher going to palace has ruined all loan signings for me forever.

I’m still not over Josh Cullen to be honest, never getting that attached to a loanee again.
    I'm still not over Mike Small and that was nearly 30 yrs ago.
  • Options
    I’m quite sad about the fact I don’t get as excited about signings as I may have done over the years. We’ve had so many potentially good signings most are happy with, to see them fail miserably time and time again, and then get shipped out. I’m sure it’s not just us, but it feels like we really get our fair share of duff players, either injury wise or just total let downs. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    For what it’s worth the feedback of my Spurs mad mate… sounds more like an 8 than a 10

I really want to know how much youth team football has this "mad Spurs fan" seen ??  If he is anything like most fans (and I include myself here) I'd say not a lot.  

And as for "not looking out of place when playing for the first team"......he's started one match, and a sub appearance, both in the Europa League  !! 
    Sadly for the poor guy he goes to everything Spurs and Dulwich Hamlet, so if anyone would know he would…

… and he’s so football mad he even wants to come and watch us at AFC Wimbledon … yeah it’s that bad ;)
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Croydon said:
    Finding it really hard to get excited about any of our signings ATM. We will be looking to rebuild again in the summer with more loans and players with histories of long term injuries. On top of that (apart from staying up) our season is over. 

I’m still not over Josh Cullen to be honest, never getting that attached to a loanee again.
    I am not over Barry Endean, a £20,000 capture from Watford who came with a reasonable scoring record. He played 27 games and scored 1 goal ,against , yes, Watford. Everywhere else his scoring record was 2.5 to 4.
    Watford spotted him in a pub team. Amazing we played like one when he was with us.
    la, la, la Barry Endean (to the tune of Hot Love by T Rex). 
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Croydon said:

I am not over Barry Endean, a £20,000 capture from Watford who came with a reasonable scoring record. He played 27 games and scored 1 goal ,against , yes, Watford. Everywhere else his scoring record was 2.5 to 4.
    Watford spotted him in a pub team. Amazing we played like one when he was with us.
    Please stop, the memory of those two is still etched or rather drilled in the dark side of my memory.

• Options
    Maccn05 said:

Taking this one with a pinch of salt then Goldie?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kips said:
    Croydon said:

It was an exciting signing at the time though. I seem to recall he scored the winner for Watford against Liverpool in the 6th Round of the cup the season before.  He was dreadful for us Charltonised before he even put the shirt on.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Croydon said:

la, la, la Barry Endean (to the tune of Hot Love by T Rex). 
    His best moment was scoring a goal against Liverpool in the cup.

when he came to us I thought he will be a gem instead he was shite, if I remember righty he was always on the floor.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    This quote from Bowyer back when we lost 4-2 to Burton last season (first defeat in 9) couldn’t be more true about a majority of this squad right now: 

“They are playing for a great club and some of the players we have in this dressing room were struggling to find clubs – this club took you out of that problem. The club expects you to rebound with hard work – that’s all”
    Yeah, and it was both a misdiagnosis and a dick move. So glad he's not our manager, and hopefully never will be again 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Sadly for the poor guy he goes to everything Spurs and Dulwich Hamlet, so if anyone would know he would…

… and he’s so football mad he even wants to come and watch us at AFC Wimbledon … yeah it’s that bad ;)
    Yeah, but he hasn’t got Golfie’s impeccable sense of knee-jerk gut reaction so his knowledge based opinion is worthless here. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:

Don't wanna be a killjoy and usually optimistic with this sort of thing, but I can't get too excited about loan's either. Having the odd one, fair enough, but operating with your maximum limit of loan players is not the answer for long term team building imo.
    You're right in my book. But then, perhaps that's not how some managers think.

We're in League One. Most players are much of a muchness standard, but can provide the nucleus of a good team.

Managers can't find or afford players with that extra quality and class that the team building needs ...... unless they go looking for embryo Prem quality youngsters to give the team pace, energy and quality skillset.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Addick_8 said:
    This quote from Bowyer back when we lost 4-2 to Burton last season (first defeat in 9) couldn’t be more true about a majority of this squad right now: 

“They are playing for a great club and some of the players we have in this dressing room were struggling to find clubs – this club took you out of that problem. The club expects you to rebound with hard work – that’s all”
    Yeah, and it was both a misdiagnosis and a dick move. So glad he's not our manager, and hopefully never will be again 
    I think he’d ran his course, but I think some of that rings true with this current bunch.  I think a lot of them are comfortable.  The club with a 27,000 seater stadium, not millions of years ago in the Prem, the sorts of wages I would imagine they can get versus playing for other clubs.  

For the likes of Leko, Lee and anyone else who is out of contract in the summer, they can’t take their opportunity for granted.