Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Agree with Ken Shabby; too many touches in the final 3rd and without Stockley the more direct approach is hopeless. 
    I was watching something about Charlton's 10p best goals and was reminded about the pace of our players like Robinson, Powell, Warren, Newton and the skill. Also the ability  to move up with the attack and press. I was struck by the superb way Leaburn held up the ball, moved and passed it.  We don't have this now and I am told the game us faster etc. I wonder.  Is it this keep running idea that is knackering players .
    You could be onto something there ................... footballers running, whatever next ?
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Real question is when Stockley returns will we look better? I can't help but feel like Lee's downturn in form has occurred when the Stockley Injury occurred  and he does help the linkup play a lot, if that is the case do we need another striker? 
    Yes we do without a doubt, will we sign one ? I doubt it.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer thought the answer to everything was hard work. The problem when things are bad? Not enough effort. The solution? Work harder, train harder. What at first galvanises and inspires, such as in the promotion season (when things are going well, and we have the best midfield in the league) and the start of the Championship season (when things are going well, and Chelsea kindly lend us the best midfielder in the league) becomes wearying, divisive, petty and ultimately rotten when it doesn't go so well (everything from about November in the Championship season onward; everything the season after when Inniss got injured). Yes, he showed an ability to get (admittedly overpowered) players playing, fighting, unified. But when it unravelled it unravelled completely and he showed abysmal man-management in a crisis. 'Calling out' your players? No truly successful manager does it, or very rarely. Certainly not to the extent Bowyer did it. I think he fell into a genuinely abusive relationship with our squad, if not in the Championship season then certainly the season after, and quotes that paraphrase to 'you were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you' fall squarely into the 'abusive' category imo. I don't want us with a manager who will do that, simple as that really. This isn't to denigrate his achievements, which were, initially, considerable.
    I’ve seen this line before about everything unraveling for Bow, but both instances this happened also coincided with crippling injuries - that has to be considered.

I’m pretty when he left us we were around the playoffs and had won 3/4 on the spin? So he had recovered the dressing room or whatever.

So I’m not sure that narrative sits well or rings true.

But what was clear with Bow was he spoke to openly, emotionally and too soon after games and made some absolute howlers because of it

Personally I found Bows truth refreshing and sometimes awkward but preferred that over the banal lies most trot out.
    Do you mean "I was pretty" ?  :D
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer thought the answer to everything was hard work. The problem when things are bad? Not enough effort. The solution? Work harder, train harder. What at first galvanises and inspires, such as in the promotion season (when things are going well, and we have the best midfield in the league) and the start of the Championship season (when things are going well, and Chelsea kindly lend us the best midfielder in the league) becomes wearying, divisive, petty and ultimately rotten when it doesn't go so well (everything from about November in the Championship season onward; everything the season after when Inniss got injured). Yes, he showed an ability to get (admittedly overpowered) players playing, fighting, unified. But when it unravelled it unravelled completely and he showed abysmal man-management in a crisis. 'Calling out' your players? No truly successful manager does it, or very rarely. Certainly not to the extent Bowyer did it. I think he fell into a genuinely abusive relationship with our squad, if not in the Championship season then certainly the season after, and quotes that paraphrase to 'you were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you' fall squarely into the 'abusive' category imo. I don't want us with a manager who will do that, simple as that really. This isn't to denigrate his achievements, which were, initially, considerable.
    I’ve seen this line before about everything unraveling for Bow, but both instances this happened also coincided with crippling injuries - that has to be considered.

I’m pretty when he left us we were around the playoffs and had won 3/4 on the spin? So he had recovered the dressing room or whatever.

So I’m not sure that narrative sits well or rings true.

But what was clear with Bow was he spoke to openly, emotionally and too soon after games and made some absolute howlers because of it

Personally I found Bows truth refreshing and sometimes awkward but preferred that over the banal lies most trot out.
    We won 2 and drew 2 of his last 4 games.  Those 2 wins were wins 5 and 6 of his last 26 games. We were 8th. 

Our results for over the last year, most seasons, would leave us about 14th-16th.

Bar 3 10 games spells, when we have had title form, over the last 18 months we have been, mainly, in relegation form.   It's the fact we switch on and off so regularly that's the biggest problem. 
  • Options
    So marcus brown were still working on 

We're out the running for defoe 

And browne is the last transfer of this window.

Well this window was a lot of fun and building for next season !!!
  • Options
    I’m not sure I feel comfortable without a dramatic deadline day with unexpected signings and departures.

Can’t we at least sign another Matt Smith before he moves to Doncaster in the summer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I agree with the first line.

This current squad would aggravate Bowyer no end.  One of the big problems with this squad, IMO, is they are at their level. More importantly they know it was well. 
  • Options
    No longer in running for Defoe - SLP
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Addick_8 said:
    This quote from Bowyer back when we lost 4-2 to Burton last season (first defeat in 9) couldn’t be more true about a majority of this squad right now: 

“They are playing for a great club and some of the players we have in this dressing room were struggling to find clubs – this club took you out of that problem. The club expects you to rebound with hard work – that’s all”
    Yeah, and it was both a misdiagnosis and a dick move. So glad he's not our manager, and hopefully never will be again 
    Bowyer was absolutely spot on here.

It was when he started calling out individuals that there was an issue.
    Agreed. But he was right in his assessments.
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    No longer in running for Defoe - SLP
    If we ever was ?
  • Options
    So some fringe (rightly or wrongly) players out on loan.

Some youth players out on youth loans to get experience

Money spent on a proven league one goal scorer.

A 22 year old loanee with little playing team and perhaps isn't match fit who might become a permanent deal.

An 18 year old loanee with little first team experience but an England international and recommended by SCP

Chasing a striker/attacking midfielder proven in league 1 but coming back from a long injury lay-off that might also become a perm deal.

So without seeing any of them play for us, Browne deal not done and no idea how Kirk does at Blackpool how have we done?

Marks out of ten?

• Options

A 22 year old loanee with little playing team and perhaps isn't match fit who might become a permanent deal.

An 18 year old loanee with little first team experience but an England international and recommended by SCP

Chasing a striker/attacking midfielder proven in league 1 but coming back from a long injury lay-off that might also become a perm deal.

So without seeing any of them play for us, Browne deal not done and no idea how Kirk does at Blackpool how have we done?

Marks out of ten?

A big old meh of a 5. None of the new signings particularly excite me, Davison and Kirk going on loan doesn't bother me, none of our players are good or fit enough for someone to try and prise away from us with a cheeky bid, and we have 0 chance of going up and very little chance of going down. 
  • Options

Marks out of ten?

Too early to say - a lot depends on how well the new guys actually settle (if at all) but on paper it's fairly good. A proper wing back and some creativity/fresh legs in midfield are things most of us have been wanting to see, and now we (may) have them.

That said, another striker and maybe a right footed wing back would ALSO be very useful but need to be aware of the limitations of a January window. 

I'd give it maybe a 6-7/10 but could be a 5 or an 8 depending on how the new players go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Marks out of ten?

Out goings 7/10

In comings far far to early to tell 1 has played 2 games 2 have played no games and 1 hasn't even signed yet.  All massive gambles that could, or couldn't pay off. 

I suppose if they pay off Gallen has worked a miracle, if they don't.....

Best case scenario they all stay fit and the two young lads come back next season.  That's almost half a team. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Browne off!!!

Back to the Bowyer chat then, everyone actually ignored the actual rumour on the previous page....... 
  • Options
    So that leaves us a player short compared to what JJ wants. If he's so crocked we don't even want him, he should consider a career change
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Now those who were unhappy it was happening can switch to being unhappy it hasn't happened.
    They can switch back to  rolling  out the bullshit about TS having no money again.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

The South London Press has been told that Charlton closely scrutinised a deal for Browne but eventually decided the switch was not right for them at this point.

Browne wanted too much money, the club didnt agree given his injury record perhaps?

God help us if he joins Oxford and scores against us next month
  • Options
    Would hope we go for someone with more match fitness, but beggars can’t be choosers.