Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Homophobic abuse at today's game (ed - Not Charlton fans)

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Just for Lordflasheart:

Let's get serious.

Life continues to evolve, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. 

At Brighton v Cafc, we had two matches where we drew 0-0 (Hamer, worldie save)
    and 2-2 ( Igor 2 goals, Albion with a slam Dunk goal late on)

Now I believe it was the 0-0 game some Cafc fans were singing "we can see you holding hands"  I did notice a gay Charlton fan was singing as well.

The following season when the chant started up, not by many as it was getting more publicity a couple of Cafc fans were nabbed by the stewards/police after the passe song started to be chanted.

Being straight, I don't know if all gay folk were offended by that. I would imagine many found it amusing while others were deeply offended. 

Any comments from our gay fans would be appreciated as your voice interests me more than straight folk. 

The caveat is I always found "we can see you holding hands" crass.

Well I still think that one of our best chants is ‘does your Butler know you’re here’ aimed at Fulham fans - however I suspect someone on here will take offence with that chant as well !!!
    I'm offended on behalf of posh twats and if no one else is offended, I will also be offended by that.
  • I wonder if anyone found 'you're gonna get your fuckin' heads kicked in' offensive?
  • Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:
    @AFKABartram I think this thread needs to be closed, it’s getting silly now
    Before we find out what "antifa loons" are? Surely not. 
    1970's legwear for right on.
  • Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:
    I’m a self confessed ‘ANTIFA loon’, as was my dad. He fought fascism during WW2, and I went on the Anti Nazi League rally to Victoria Park in 1978, where the Clash were headlining. Loons!
  • Just for Lordflasheart:

Let's get serious.

Life continues to evolve, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. 

At Brighton v Cafc, we had two matches where we drew 0-0 (Hamer, worldie save)
    and 2-2 ( Igor 2 goals, Albion with a slam Dunk goal late on)

Now I believe it was the 0-0 game some Cafc fans were singing "we can see you holding hands"  I did notice a gay Charlton fan was singing as well.

The following season when the chant started up, not by many as it was getting more publicity a couple of Cafc fans were nabbed by the stewards/police after the passe song started to be chanted.

Being straight, I don't know if all gay folk were offended by that. I would imagine many found it amusing while others were deeply offended. 

Any comments from our gay fans would be appreciated as your voice interests me more than straight folk. 

The caveat is I always found "we can see you holding hands" crass.

Well I still think that one of our best chants is ‘does your Butler know you’re here’ aimed at Fulham fans - however I suspect someone on here will take offence with that chant as well !!!
    I'm offended on behalf of posh twats and if no one else is offended, I will also be offended by that.
    Classist!
  • JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:
    I’m a self confessed ‘ANTIFA loon’, as was my dad. He fought fascism during WW2, and I went on the Anti Nazi League rally to Victoria Park in 1978, where the Clash were headlining. Loons!
    Ha ha! Same. My dad fought the Nazis too - and I was at Victoria Park as well. Loons unite!
  • Am also co-writing a book on left-wing/anti-fascist football clubs around the world, to be published later this year. So am a proper loon.
  • I wonder if anyone found 'you're gonna get your fuckin' heads kicked in' offensive?
    Mostly amused, but a couple of times a little nervous… going home in an ambulance always sounded a better option 
  • Vincenzo said:
    Am also co-writing a book on left-wing/anti-fascist football clubs around the world, to be published later this year. So am a proper loon.

That will be an interesting read.  Who are the key clubs with that leaning beyond the better known ones like Roma, St Pauli, and Dulwich/ Clapton?
  • edited January 2022
    CatAddick said:
    I wonder if anyone found 'you're gonna get your fuckin' heads kicked in' offensive?
    Mostly amused, but a couple of times a little nervous… going home in an ambulance always sounded a better option 
    I always thought "you'll never make the station" was offensive.

I mean the away was and is much closer to the station than the Covered End
  • Sponsored links:

• Vincenzo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:
    Ha ha! Same. My dad fought the Nazis too - and I was at Victoria Park as well. Loons unite!
    Ditto on both counts

I might have been at a few other anti-nazi "events" in the 1970s as well
  • Vincenzo said:
    Am also co-writing a book on left-wing/anti-fascist football clubs around the world, to be published later this year. So am a proper loon.

That will be an interesting read.  Who are the key clubs with that leaning beyond the better known ones like Roma, St Pauli, and Dulwich/ Clapton?
    @UEAAddick did some work on politics in Italian clubs for his MA @Vincenzo
  • Excellent, look forward to it.
  • Vincenzo said:

@UEAAddick did some work on politics in Italian clubs for his MA @Vincenzo
    Ooh, interesting. Maybe I should get in touch. Most Italian clubs are pretty right wing, with some proper fascist support, but there's a few on the other side; Livorno, Cosenza and Ternana. 

• Hasn’t there been a trend of drift in Italy from left to right. Roma, I believe, went from left to right or at least partially right.

Are you with pitch publishing @Vincenzo

• Hasn’t there been a trend of drift in Italy from left to right. Roma, I believe, went from left to right or at least partially right.

Are you with pitch publishing @Vincenzo
    Yes, I am. 

Lazio are the real right wing club in Rome. Roma are not as bad as them but I think they have fans on both sides of the fence. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:
    My friend is a film editor and he gave me some film stills from the concert that was used for the Rude Boy film. My sister who works in film got them printed for me as they’re not like standard negatives. She got them to leave the sprocket holes on and I had the best one framed.

Fantastic! Still one of my most cherished gig memories. What a day it was. 
  • Sorry, I seem to have hijacked this thread somewhat!
  • Sponsored links:

• Vincenzo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:
    Ditto on both counts

I might have been at a few other anti-nazi "events" in the 1970s as well
    I was at Victoria Park too and watched one of my favourites, Jimmy Pursey, singing White Riot in front of the Clash … I ain’t a bloody looney though 🤣
  • JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:
    My friend is a film editor and he gave me some film stills from the concert that was used for the Rude Boy film. My sister who works in film got them printed for me as they’re not like standard negatives. She got them to leave the sprocket holes on and I had the best one framed.

Superb mate … any to spare? 
  • stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:

You can have the one on the right if you want mate. PM me your address and I'll send it on.
  • stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    BefoLordflashheart said:

You can have the one on the right if you want mate. PM me your address and I'll send it on.
    Message sent, cheers 
  • Vincenzo said:
    Vincenzo said:

I hope so. Will include: Rayo Vallecano, Cádiz, Cosenza, Bohemians Praha, Red Star (Paris) and Standard Liege in Europe. 

My co-writer is covering Boca Juniors, though their politics is complicated, like most things in Argentina. Also Palestino in Chile and Detroit City. And there'll be mentions for AEK Athens, Hapoel Tel Aviv, Bahia in Brazil and AC Omonoia Nicosia. 
    Hapoel Tel Aviv is an Interesting one. Whilst it was always the club of the left and the trade unions, it only turned militant as a reaction to the ultra nationalist (very gently speaking) Beitar Yerushalayim (Jerusalem) becoming a very clear and violent representative of extreme right wing ideologies (again, very mild language used).
    Looking forward to that book.
  • Vincenzo said:
    Sorry, I seem to have hijacked this thread somewhat!
    Absolutely no need for apologies.
    I’m definitely looking forward to your book.
    I was tempted to compile one too but remembered I signed the OSA & probably can’t 🤷‍♀️😂
  • I don't remember much homophobic abuse at the Valley over the years. The only incident that sticks in my mind was some witty Charlton fan shouting out 'Are you a faggot Bent?' or something similar at Marcus Bent when he was playing for Sheffield United. The look of absolute contempt he shot back when he heard it was the only time I ever had any respect for the guy. Pretty sure he went on to rip us a new one in that game too.
  • I don't remember much homophobic abuse at the Valley over the years. The only incident that sticks in my mind was some witty Charlton fan shouting out 'Are you a faggot Bent?' or something similar at Marcus Bent when he was playing for Sheffield United. The look of absolute contempt he shot back when he heard it was the only time I ever had any respect for the guy. Pretty sure he went on to rip us a new one in that game too.
    We always used to sing "We can see you holding hands" to the Brighton fans and in return they called us "Dirty Northern Bastards" All good fun and nobody got harmed.