Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++Juan Castillo signs on loan till end of season++

Comments

• Options
    Does this mean Papa or Purry are moving on in January?

Maybe, but both are currently leaving in the summer. Getting a look at Joan castle (the new ventokele) might well be considered a bit of early scouting and coaching, especially if he's available come the summer.

There's a strong for and against argument for the signing in that regards.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Out of contract in May so if it works out we have a chance to make it permanent.
    If Bows said he was overweight and unfit when he arrived we know he will be as fit as a butchers dog now and ready to start.
    I expect him to be in the squad tomorrow.
    Why do some people makes this leap that we may make the move permanent?
    If Chelsea were to be so ready to offload him to a lower-half league one club, doesn't it rather suggest that rather than a young unpolished diamond he may actually be a bit shit  ;)
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Out of contract in May so if it works out we have a chance to make it permanent.
    If Bows said he was overweight and unfit when he arrived we know he will be as fit as a butchers dog now and ready to start.
    If Chelsea were to be so ready to offload him to a lower-half league one club, doesn't it rather suggest that rather than a young unpolished diamond he may actually be a bit shit  ;)
    That's the ticket, get in first and call it before he plays.  
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Redrobo said:

You're right, we'd have been much better off getting Reece James on loan.
  • Options
    A Chelsea mate of mine reckons he used to be ahead of Maatsen. Obviously not the case right now, hopefully there’s something there to work with. 

Neither of  them have had a sniff of the Chelsea first team

Ahead of Maatsen in what?  The Netherlands U16s?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I really pleased with this signing, it actually doesn't matter much of he is any good or not.  What does matter is he is obviously here to play in a position we both play with and need at least an option for.

Add to that he can play left back, left wing back and left mid, could probably play left of a front 3 as well.  He is left footed.  He is obviously quick.  Both of those are missing in our squad so far this season.  Even our quicker players are a bit stop start.

He has good pedigree but he has also played for two people Jackson knows in the last 3 seasons (I think he played for Pardew and Powell in Holland?).  

He is out of contract in the summer so there is no harm on having a look see now. 

Most of all this smacks of a manager signing a player he needs and wants, not one he is given, that hasn't been the case in the last 2 windows.  It needs to happen more.

It's about time we had a manager and let him manage. 

That's very enlightened. It fits in with our recent 'how shit can we become?' ethos.

Can I have a go?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You'd think Charlton fans of all people would be able to take Bowyer's criticisms of players with a hefty pinch of salt 

I don't know...the ones he widely criticised have done nothing since he left really.  The one he rated and took to Brum with him saved us a point at the weekend.
    But Bowyer's assessment of Aneke was plainly wrong. Despite Birmingham's overall lack of goals, Bowyer only started him in one  game all season (17 sub appearances).  Aneke never actually "won" Birmingham a single point given that he scored just two goals (final goal in a 5-0 win and a consolation in a 2-1 defeat) with no assists either. Under Bowyer  in the Championship for us and Birmingham, Aneke's record sits at 3 goals and 2 assists from 38 appearances.

What Bowyer did do well is to take him off us without paying any compensation and then charge us £300k for the privilege of buying him back. Here's hoping that he stays fit for the next couple of seasons because he will score goals in League 1 and that might still prove to be money well spent especially as we got him on a free first time round.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    That's the ticket, get in first and call it before he plays.  
    I could do that, or I could put a winky emoji at the end of my post to signify to the dim that I'm not being serious
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

You're right, we'd have been much better off getting Reece James on loan.
    Yeh, who'd a thought?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I really pleased with this signing, it actually doesn't matter much of he is any good or not.  What does matter is he is obviously here to play in a position we both play with and need at least an option for.

Add to that he can play left back, left wing back and left mid, could probably play left of a front 3 as well.  He is left footed.  He is obviously quick.  Both of those are missing in our squad so far this season.  Even our quicker players are a bit stop start.

He has good pedigree but he has also played for two people Jackson knows in the last 3 seasons (I think he played for Pardew and Powell in Holland?).  

He is out of contract in the summer so there is no harm on having a look see now. 

Most of all this smacks of a manager signing a player he needs and wants, not one he is given, that hasn't been the case in the last 2 windows.  It needs to happen more.

That's very enlightened. It fits in with our recent 'how shit can we become?' ethos.

Can I have a go?
    Did you read the rest of it? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For the record - welcome Juan.
    It's an important position in the system we play and hopefully he'll add an exciting dimension to our forward play.
    Be interesting to see where that leaves Ben Purriington, but I imagine Souare is for the scrapheap
  • Options
    Not sure how I fell about this move.

As some posters have commented I like us to have a good complement of left footed players , Juan certainly ticks that box, particularly if he can take dead ball kicks. As a squad option he replaces Maatsen in my view.

It is next season that concerns me. I would like to feel that conversations have already been had about either a loan for next season or a permanent contract otherwise this is pointless.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Not sure how I fell about this move.

As some posters have commented I like us to have a good complement of left footed players , Juan certainly ticks that box, particularly if he can take dead ball kicks. As a squad option he replaces Maatsen in my view.

It is next season that concerns me. I would like to feel that conversations have already been had about either a loan for next season or a permanent contract otherwise this is pointless.
    Is it any less pointless than playing our own players that won't be here next season?

Even if we can't/don't sign him in the summer it could one that happens 6 months, a year, 18 months down the line.  That's not the case with the likes of Souare, Gunter, Watson etc. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Can I have a go?
    Yes but none of the rest (left footed, quick, fits into the system, versatile, contract situation) matters if he's no good 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Can I have a go?
    Yes but none of the rest (left footed, quick, fits into the system, versatile, contract situation) matters if he's no good 
    It was about why we signed him, not ever transfer will work, but if you sign them for the right reason it's at least a move in the right direction.

We have signed too many players for the wrong reasons and that's part of the reason why we are in this mess.  One or two signings won't change that but a change of philosophy just might. 
  • Options
    Why wouldn’t you want to watch him and his brother in the same team?

Because if you’ve seen Juan Castillo, you’ve seen them all. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2022
    I am not sure about Charlton sticking to one formation whatever. If you players injured or the opposition has sussed out how to play that formation with the players you have got, then some flexibility is needed. Curbs favoured 442 but changed formation to match the opposition regularly if needed.
    If we are stuck with 352, for the moment, then good to have some players, who can play in the wing back position - Juan Castillo fits that bill. From wikkipedia has played for the Dutch International team up to the under 20s and for Den Haag, so should be comfortable with passing the ball and playing the ball on the floor.
    Considering that League One is full of tall players (many not that great at football), Castillo is quite small at 5ft 9 inches.
    I understand that Castillo had Covid. Recovering from Covid is a  very individual thing, but Charlton have some experience with bringing Alex Gilbey back to full fitness. Hopefully, it is a bit of forward planning with cover and options for final third of season.
    Youth career
    2007–2009 Zeeburgia
    2009–2016 Ajax
    2016–2019 Chelsea
    Senior career*
    Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2019– Chelsea 0 (0)
    2019–2020Jong Ajax (loan) 23 (0)
    2020–2021AZ (loan) 1 (0)
    2020–2021Jong AZ (loan) 6 (0)
    2021ADO Den Haag (loan) 16 (0)
    2021–2022Birmingham City (loan) 3 (0)
    2022–Charlton Athletic (loan) 0 (0)
    National team‡
    2014–2015 Netherlands U15 8 (0)
    2015–2016 Netherlands U16 11 (1)
    2016–2017 Netherlands U17 10 (3)
    2017–2018 Netherlands U18 5 (2)
    2018–2019 Netherlands U19 9 (3)
    2019– Netherlands U20 6 (0)
    * Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:08, 3 January 2022 (UTC)
    ‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 19 November 2019

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Birmingham fans don’t rate him at all according to a friend of mine ! 
    Birmingham fans don't have a solitary clue about anything other than crude bovine aggression

Is that anything to do with hitting a cows arse with a banjo?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where is he?

Injured or have they realised he's not up to it?
  • Options
    Where is he?

Charlton have never wanted Castillo. Bowyer wanted shot of him and Chelsea wouldn’t take him back. We wanted Aneke. Do the maths.
    Not doubting this info at all but if it’s true then the club really do need to take a look at its recruitment policy. That’s a terrible situation. Quite unbelievable 
  • Options
    Where is he?

Charlton have never wanted Castillo. Bowyer wanted shot of him and Chelsea wouldn’t take him back. We wanted Aneke. Do the maths.
    So we took on the remainder of Castillo’s loan to sweeten the Aneke deal?
  • Options
    Where is he?

What’s the explanation for Nile John?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Where is he?

Poor bloke . A player that all three teams don’t  want  . He must feel great about that 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Where is he?

Poor bloke . A player that all three teams doesn’t want  . He must feel great about that 
    I wouldn’t feel too sorry for him…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/footballleagueworld.co.uk/lee-bowyer-delivers-birmingham-city-verdict-on-chelseas-juan-castillo-and-his-future/amp/

Bowyer revealed his thoughts to Birmingham Live, saying: “When he (Castillo) first came he was overweight, couldn’t run, broke down in the first week or two of pre-season because he was out of shape.”

If what @“Airman Brown" says is true, it does make you wonder again about our recruitment strategy. We sign one unfit player on loan to help do a deal for an injury-prone forward to rejoin us.