Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD [+post-match p21]: Hartlepool vs Charlton | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 25th Jan 2022

Comments

• Trouble with a major clear out (again) in the summer is whether people still trust Gallen and co with our recruitment. He has bought so many of these players to the club.  Appreciate he has had a tough time of it with RD/ESI etc and also that he made some great loan signings such as Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher. But his successes are getting further and further away.
    Gallen may want to buy Sainsbury quality players, but if there is only an Aldi budget, he can only buy what he can afford. Which isn't Sainsbury quality. 
  • Trouble with a major clear out (again) in the summer is whether people still trust Gallen and co with our recruitment. He has bought so many of these players to the club.  Appreciate he has had a tough time of it with RD/ESI etc and also that he made some great loan signings such as Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher. But his successes are getting further and further away.
    Gallen may want to buy Sainsbury quality players, but if there is only an Aldi budget, he can only buy what he can afford. Which isn't Sainsbury quality. 
    Don't diss Aldi, man 
  • Still no Golfie then.

I hope some Statto can take the time to actually work out exactly how many games it is that we have won when we concede first.

I reckon its once in 50 now.

• May as well close the thread, we ain't going to fu*king Wembley, 'cos we got beat by bloody Hartlepool and let's face it we deserved nothing better on the night, no use slaying one player for missing a penalty, they are all to blame...
    So we have another league match v Portsmouth Monday to look forward to, and a chance to redeem some pride in our club, Jacko is certainly well and truly past the honeymoon period and into the caky end of the game, i'm sure he has the balls to sort it and get what is left of the season back on track starting with 3 points at Fratton Park..
    We usually do well against Pompey, let's keep those straws firmly clutched.😌
  • Still no Golfie then.

I hope some Statto can take the time to actually work out exactly how many games it is that we have won when we concede first.

I reckon its once in 50 now.

Nah I tracked that before and got told it was another 'silly spreadsheet'
  • Sponsored links:

• The summer will be interesting. 

When he bought us TS said that going up in the first season would be a bonus but not essential and the business plan was for this season. 

Since then Covid has restricted attendances, we have failed to go up again this season and it looks like to have any chance next season he will need to throw a lot more cash at it, likely at a time attendances (and hence revenue) will dip as people lose the interest of a new owner bounce.

Just how deep are those pockets... Or do Pope/Gomez save us?
    Last season we missed the playoffs by a smidgen, despite a horrendous midtable slump. It was all set up for us to build on that and really go for it this season, with the surge in season tickets being bought with the excitement about how we were going to storm the league...

Next season we'll be starting from a lower base, and all the TS generated excitement will have fizzled out.
  • The summer will be interesting. 

When he bought us TS said that going up in the first season would be a bonus but not essential and the business plan was for this season. 

Since then Covid has restricted attendances, we have failed to go up again this season and it looks like to have any chance next season he will need to throw a lot more cash at it, likely at a time attendances (and hence revenue) will dip as people lose the interest of a new owner bounce.

Just how deep are those pockets... Or do Pope/Gomez save us?
    Yep, I think we need Burnley to get relegated so Pope will be sold. Even though it would be a cut of a smaller amount it'll give whomever our manager is in the summer something to play with.
  • Why are we so bad away ok at home should put the u18 out a bit of fight and pride guts and for the shirt 
  • Feck me, people slitting their wrists over the pizza cup. 
  • Bailey said:
    Feck me, people slitting their wrists over the pizza cup. 
    whatever mate, you know doubt be the first to try and get a ticket for the final. I would be and I hate the pizza cup.
  • Bailey said:
    The shit football we played last 2 -3 years more like
  • Bailey said:
    whatever mate, you know doubt be the first to try and get a ticket for the final. I would be and I hate the pizza cup.
    No way of proving I wouldn't Karim but the full members cup final probably taught a good lesson, competitions like these are best not taken seriously.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    No way of proving I wouldn't Karim but the full members cup final probably taught a good lesson, competitions like these are best not taken seriously.
    i dont think anyone would apart from i hope the players who are paid, should. 
  • Bailey said:
    Not the fact we are our of this cup but over the performance.

Did you watch? If so, you will have seen how outplayed we were by a team that is about 16th in the league below us.

If you didn't, you were incredibly lucky. 
    I did watch, if you want my take on it I will let you have it, understand if you think my views are not in keeping with everyone else and probably should be ignored.
  • Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Not the fact we are our of this cup but over the performance.

Did you watch? If so, you will have seen how outplayed we were by a team that is about 16th in the league below us.

If you didn't, you were incredibly lucky. 
    I did watch, if you want my take on it I will let you have it, understand if you think my views are not in keeping with everyone else and probably should be ignored.
    Listen, I enjoy reading everyone's views. It's why I come on here. Obviously there will be some I don't agree with but that doesn't make them any less important. 

Fire away. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    If things don't change fast, I'd like some interesting changes. 4-4-2 for a start, no Gunter or Matthews, so Clare gets asked to play there.

Not sure how well Dobson will do at CM in a 2 but worth a try? 

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington
    Jaiyesimi - Gilbey - Dobson - B.Taylor
    Aneke - Burstow

Could we play a diamond and try Bowyer's tested formation at this level?

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington
    Gilbey - Dobson - Morgan
    Lee
    Aneke - Burstow
    I honestly believe if you try a diamond, 3-5-2, 5-3-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-4, 4-5-1, 4-4-1-1, 3-4-3 or any other combination of 11 players nothing would change.  I’m not being facetious toward you mate, I know you are genuinely trying to look on the positives, but I don’t think the formation will make much of a difference in the long run.

I do think it’s been worked out, and doesn’t fit the players we have, but I think if we adopted something else, it would probably get worked out quite quickly to.

Feel a bit for Jackson given it’s his first managerial job.  Would be hard for Guardiola to get much out of this lot 
  • Just to make my point have some reason. Firstly, did Jacko play his first choice side, no. Two of the starting eleven haven't played in weeks. I counted at least six players including the subs who will not be in a Charlton shirt next season. Lastly if Charlton manage to win at Portsmouth and at home to Wimbledon there will a quick retraction of all that's negative on here. P.S winning both those games is a big ask but football is like that and I put more store on those games than this one. 
  • I thought Aneke looked like an absolute bag of bricks when he came on.  That’s really excited me given he’s signed a 3 and a half year deal.  

Leko didn’t grab this opportunity with both hands either.  
  • Another low, hate this competition but a Wembley trip would've been nice. Our squad is on par with the Powell and Slade sides which finished mid table in L1