Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD [+post-match p21]: Hartlepool vs Charlton | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 25th Jan 2022

Comments

• Options
    Personally,I was not in the least excited about a Wembley trip in this cup,but for the sake of those who spent their hard earned and gave their time to travel to this game,that performance was a disgrace.Simply put,the senior players just did not want to be in Hartlepool on a cold January tuesday night.As has been the case all season,if the oppo had anyone with a bit of pace they would get through our midfield and be on the edge of our box unchallenged .Other than Dobson we have no one with the will to stop it.Last night Hartlepool could have had a hatfull,so often players with oceans of time around our box.Our best performances in this cup came when we played the kids,players who wanted to show Jacko they where ready to play more,I am certain with,Vennings,Williams,Deji and a few others we would have done better last night.We now have Portsmouth on the TV,this to me is a crunch game,play badly here and the atmosphere will really get toxic.
  • Options
    Jackson needs to decide if he's going to stick with his wingback philosophy, when its not working/dont have the players, and risk being out of the job at the end of the season

OR 

Find a way of getting the most out of the players he has, try to finish as strongly as possible, and use the summer to implement his preferred approach.  

I would highly recommend the latter. 

Also very little sympathy for anyone who selects Ben Watson. After last season he should be nowhere near the squard - auto contract extension or not. 
  • Options
    I don’t necessarily think we need a change in formation, as it has been shown to be effective, though it really does seem to struggle when teams play 3 up front, especially if those 3 are good at interchanging positions.

We probably should look at how we move the balls through the thirds. Most teams at this level now are going to be well drilled, fit, and will press well. It’s never going to be easy. But at the moment when we have the ball, whether it is from a turn over of play, or from the keeper, we are so slow to move it, and our players are so static. 

It’s why our wingbacks are often getting trapped, because they are clearly being asked to hug the touch line and when they get doubled up on, it’s easy to cut the angles, and with that lack of midfield support the ball always has to go back to the defence. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    We were not up for it, some players didn't want to be there obviously. For me, we lost because of a lack of desire. And the lack of quality in some players showed that they do not have the abilities to better what was a very poor opposition. But fair play to Hartlepool because they were the better side and wanted it a lot more than our lot.

How Ben Watson can get a game for us in a cup tie shows how far we have fallen as a club. I kept an eye on him in the first half and he is a caricature of the player he once was, he is now pretending to be a footballer. Shouldn't be anywhere near our matchday squad as we have young players coming through who I would back 100% to do a lot better than him. 

Luckily for us, we have a lot of contracts expiring over the summer so we can have a mass clearout. I see Watson, Pearce, Matthews, CBT, Gunter, Henderson, Inniss, Purrington, Souare, JFC and Washington are expiring and of course the loanees Leko, Lee and Famewo. At the moment I would let them all go over the summer, maybe except for Washington, Inniss and Purrington. 
  • Options
    Never have I felt so disconnected to a group of players. Honestly wouldn't care if we sold the lot bar burstow dobbo and Stockley. 

Season finished by January. So depressing. The words PLAN FOR NEXT SEASON, is a dagger through the heart. We're in league 1 FFS.
    Funny how this line keeps coming out when we lose. I didn't see it at all when Jacko first came in and we went on that run, all I heard was "we've got our Charlton back". The fickleness of supporters never ceases to amaze.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I like him, but have come to accept that Washington can go from terrorising Bonnuci and Chiellini to looking somebody more junior than Burstow. 

Famewo/Purrington/Pearce/Lee/Wash/Clare/Lee/Gilbs are all out of form and they're all meant to be our senior Pros. Maybe this is or is not linked to the formation. 

We also miss Stockley way more than any fans are mentioning, probably because he's not been the easiest to like chap this season! 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    cabbles said:
    Can’t wait for Jason Pearce’s pathetic tweet about it being ‘not the result we wanted, we regroup and go again for the run in for the rest of the season’ etc etc 
    No player has commented on the game on Instagram so far. 

Think it will stay this way. 

The only tweet about last night that i'd like to see is one from the club announcing they're reimbursing the ticket and travel costs for the 235 fans who went up there.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Our midfield was absolutely awful yesterday, Watson carthorse, Morgan proved he has no positional sense, Gilby Ok, badly missed Dobson. Wing backs no better no idea if Jackson coaches the team but whoever is, is bloody hopeless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Never have I felt so disconnected to a group of players. Honestly wouldn't care if we sold the lot bar burstow dobbo and Stockley. 

Season finished by January. So depressing. The words PLAN FOR NEXT SEASON, is a dagger through the heart. We're in league 1 FFS.
    Funny how this line keeps coming out when we lose. I didn't see it at all when Jacko first came in and we went on that run, all I heard was "we've got our Charlton back". The fickleness of supporters never ceases to amaze.
    Tbf not everyone was saying either. I weren't 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Stewart said:
    cabbles said:
    Can’t wait for Jason Pearce’s pathetic tweet about it being ‘not the result we wanted, we regroup and go again for the run in for the rest of the season’ etc etc 

He loves a cliched tweet.  But, I hope you’re right.  We don’t need to know they’re working hard to put it right.  Just get on with it 
    wouldn't believe them anyway, zero evidence of any hard work being displayed atm.
  • Options
    Major said:
    Remember how they played when Jacko was just a caretaker manager?

What the hell happened?
    They wanted their mate to get the job….there’s no incentive to play out of their skins anymore now he has got it.
    Some mates they are...... 
  • Options
    Q. What have these clubs all got in common?

AFC Wimbledon
    Oxford United
    Cheltenham Town
    Mk Dons
    Wigan Athletic
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Bolton Wanderers
    Lincoln City
    Accrington Stanley
    Leyton Orient
    Shrewsbury Town
    Plymouth Argyle
    Wycombe Wanderers again
    Norwich City
    Crewe Alexandra
    Hartlepool United

A. That's right, they are all shit AND they have all beaten us this season. 

• Options
    edited January 2022

If you don't think that was close to a full strength, first choice side then I'd question who you've been watching all season.

For context, in previous games in the pizza cup we've seen the following play regularly, mostly starting:

Harness
    Henry
    Souare
    Watson
    Dempsey
    Elerwere
    Clayden
    Ness
    Bakrin
    Matthews
    CBT
    Burstow

In fact, the last time we played something close to a first choice in this comp was against villas kids, where we won 4-1.

But yeah, I'm sure the players and coaching staff weren't taking it seriously at all....
  • Options
    Season well and truly over our highlight could be relegating gills - awful season v much underperformed - Thomas this needs to be a wake up call, get rid of the majority of the players lazy couldn’t give a shit cnuts
    With Wimbledon in trouble as well, our local derby next season could be Sutton United...
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    There’s been so many low moments in the last few years, it’s hard to get your head around just how far we’ve fallen.

Imagine you could go back in the DeLorean and talk to yourself when we were in the Premier League.

Future Me: I’ve just come from 2022.
    Past Me: Oh wow, 17 years time. Did we sneak a Champions League spot in the end?
    Future Me: Ummmm…no we just lost on penalties to Hartlepool, after being outplayed by Hartlepool, in the Papa John’s Trophy QF Past Me: Is that what they call the Champions League in the future….?
    Future Me: Ummm no. It’s a cup played by the teams outside the top two divisions, plus some Premier League youth teams.
    Past Me: WTF?! 
    Future Me: Yes, it’s actually named after a shit pizza company…. and it was all we had to play for in the 21/22 season as we bob about in the bottom half of the third division.
    Past Me: Third Division!?!?!….that’s terrible. 
    But it must mean Palace are non-league. Go on, give me the good news. Are they out of business?
    Future Me: …..you better sit down.

Past Me: Im guessing we've stopped celebrating that 2-2 draw with them from 2005 then right? ..........right? ........hello? 
  • Options
    Q. What have these clubs all got in common?

AFC Wimbledon
    Oxford United
    Cheltenham Town
    Mk Dons
    Wigan Athletic
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Bolton Wanderers
    Lincoln City
    Accrington Stanley
    Leyton Orient
    Shrewsbury Town
    Plymouth Argyle
    Wycombe Wanderers again
    Norwich City
    Crewe Alexandra
    Hartlepool United

A. That's right, they are all shit AND they have all beaten us this season. 

Quite a sobering list. To think we'd have have accepted any one of those in a cup knock-out round and hoped to progress. How the (not so) mighty have fallen.

Thomas must surely be thinking that his 5 Yr plan must be reassessed and to get in to the Championship and stay there, is the best that could be hoped for. 
  • Options
    I thought Watson had a decent opening 15 mins, won a couple of 50/50's and played some forward passes into Gilbey through the line. Posted that on the match thread, then he was fucking useless. Should been dragged after 50 mins. Leko is the most frustrating footballer on earth and is now at the point of offering nothing. Awful performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stewart said:
    cabbles said:

The only tweet about last night that i'd like to see is one from the club announcing they're reimbursing the ticket and travel costs for the 235 fans who went up there.
    Don't be silly. It's the gamble of going to football, even more so cup football.
    Yeah you're right, no club has ever reimbursed traveling fans after a terrible performance.
  • Options

If you don't think that was close to a full strength, first choice side then I'd question who you've been watching all season.

For context, in previous games in the pizza cup we've seen the following play regularly, mostly starting:

Harness
    Henry
    Souare
    Watson
    Dempsey
    Elerwere
    Clayden
    Ness
    Bakrin
    Matthews
    CBT
    Burstow

In fact, the last time we played something close to a first choice in this comp was against villas kids, where we won 4-1.

But yeah, I'm sure the players and coaching staff weren't taking it seriously at all....
    You think 7 months ago Watson Morgan and Gilbey were the midfield 3 when we beat Lincoln and Hull 😳😳😳
  • Options
    Really down after that. I've been trying to interest my girls in coming to the Valley and have bought them season tickets since they were toddlers. Bauer's Wembley magic got them really into it but relegation, the pandemic and the utter greyness of our bang average squad has slowly killed it. They have only been twice this year. They loved the Ipswich game and I told them this morning we were going to Wembley. Except we are not, as our first team were second best to Hartlepool. I will always go, because I always have, but from next season I will be the only season ticket holder. We are just a very dull team going nowhere. Can't see 10K season ticket holders next year.
    Can echo that, although 16 year old boys can easily get distracted by gaming etc these days. I fear next season my be my first on my own. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Awful performance. One of those where you think we need a major clear out. We were outplayed by a League Two outfit that had a few players who seemed better than ours. Can't think of any pluses from the game.
    Were you there sir ? 
    Watched on Charlton TV. House husband duties (wife works funny shifts) means it’s hard to get to away games, plus I’m getting on a bit lol. 
  • Options
    Quarter finals of a cup be it a two bob competition, TS could have rocked up with his guitar down Wembley Way, playing a team who embarrassed us last night as did Cheltenham and Crewe the other week, a following of 300 to Hartlepool on Tuesday night…and they serve up a gutless performance like that.
    Two quotes of the night from Jackson “Penalties are on a flip of a coin” No there not when you have played 90 plus minutes with a full strength team.
    We will go to Pompey on Monday and try to reel them in…Really ??
    Good job Adkins wasn’t 
  • Options
    Poolsfan said:
    HandG said:
    aliwibble said:
    HandG said:
    Croydon said:
    Yay... Here comes the childish abuse, for a competition no one wanted us to be in prior to the first game :D
    What do you expect? The one chance this season had to redeem itself, and we've been outplayed by a team 16th in the league below us. This season has been a fucking shambles from start to finish and fans have every right to be angry. 
    Its pathetic though the reaction

Even more so when you look back at that first Group game

No one gives a shit about this competition, so dont pretend to suddenly care when we get somewhere - Either give a shit from the beginning, or not at all
    To be fair, I’ve just spent about £150 all in on a trip up here for me and my son. Also went to all the other games so some of us do give a shit.
    I'm not sure whether I admire your fortitude or am concerned for your sanity :) Hopefully you found some local nightlife that was a bit more fun than the game.
    New ground, cheap trains, cheap hotels, everything in close vicinity, love my team and happy to waste money on them.

Had a nice few beers in the pub and was over Charlton being shite within about 3 minutes of the game ending. 

Doesn’t mean I’m not going to have a moan on here though!
    Hope you enjoyed yourself mate barring the result.
    Thanks mate, I did indeed. Good luck for the rest of the season.
  • Options

DJ and Leko have lost all threat now they're being played so deep and wide as wingbacks. 
    Exactly this and as attackers they both hardly have a defensive bone in their body, making them look useless whenever they play. They are both very talented players but trying to shift them into positions they can't play is going to make them play much worse than they're capable of