Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD [+post-match p21]: Hartlepool vs Charlton | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 25th Jan 2022

Comments

• edited January 2022
    The summer will be interesting. 

When he bought us TS said that going up in the first season would be a bonus but not essential and the business plan was for this season. 

Since then Covid has restricted attendances, we have failed to go up again this season and it looks like to have any chance next season he will need to throw a lot more cash at it, likely at a time attendances (and hence revenue) will dip as people lose the interest of a new owner bounce.

Just how deep are those pockets... Or do Pope/Gomez save us?
    I think Adkins and Roddy's departure signal a pretty massive departure from any original plan and strategy we may have had in place at the outset.

Effectively replacing Roddy with his son/ not replacing him is  a significant change to what would have perhaps bee  the initial masterplan.
  • Let’s just go out of this shithouse competition earlier next season and the angst levels of everyone will be a lot lower than tonight 
  • HandG said:
    Croydon said:
    Yay... Here comes the childish abuse, for a competition no one wanted us to be in prior to the first game :D
    What do you expect? The one chance this season had to redeem itself, and we've been outplayed by a team 16th in the league below us. This season has been a fucking shambles from start to finish and fans have every right to be angry. 
    Its pathetic though the reaction

Even more so when you look back at that first Group game

No one gives a shit about this competition, so dont pretend to suddenly care when we get somewhere - Either give a shit from the beginning, or not at all
    To be fair, I’ve just spent about £150 all in on a trip up here for me and my son. Also went to all the other games so some of us do give a shit.
    I'm not sure whether I admire your fortitude or am concerned for your sanity :) Hopefully you found some local nightlife that was a bit more fun than the game.
  • Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Feck me, people slitting their wrists over the pizza cup. 
    whatever mate, you know doubt be the first to try and get a ticket for the final. I would be and I hate the pizza cup.
    No way of proving I wouldn't Karim but the full members cup final probably taught a good lesson, competitions like these are best not taken seriously.
    Fair enough but our manager took it pretty seriously tonight didn’t he? That was basically our first team that decided not to turn up…
  • Dobson and Inniss are the two players who come out of tonight with the most credit. That back 4 of Watson and the 3 CBs... nightmare. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Been said already I know but not bothered about going out of this stupid cup but very much bothered about another abject performance. Outplayed by a team mid table in league two who should have beaten us in normal time. So many poor performances. I really hope we don’t sign either Lee or Leko permanently. Don’t think CBT contributes anything either. Famewo seems to be going backwards too. Going to need another big rebuild this summer, expect to see Lee, Leko, Gunter, Matthews, Watson, Davison, Soare, Kirk, not to be here. Would also let Morgan go. With his injury record and still not available is JFC worth keeping? Plus Pearce should only be a bit part player. That’s 10/11 players and I’m sure I’ve forgotten one or two. We can’t keep doing this every summer. The playing side of the club is a shambles. 
    Agree with all of this LA. Perhaps I'd give Morgan and Famewo a bit more time. The rest ~ you are spot on. 
  • cafctom said:
    Right. 

All this nonsense talk of wrong formations, or wing backs or whatever bloody else. Had enough of it.

Let’s just call it out for what it is. This squad is made up of a bunch of soft, weak mentality players who seem to bottle any opportunity that comes their way. None of them seem to have a real fire or anger in them when things go wrong.

They put on a show when they wanted to get Jackson into the role, and then completely reverted to going through the motions the moment the deal was done.

We’ve got a handful of “senior” players with years and years of experience who have done the square root of F-all to try and get us out of predicaments whenever we’ve been in them. But that’s alright, they’re on decent long contracts so what does it matter to them?

They’ve completely ballsed up two seasons worth of promotion attempts, under three different managers. 

Tonight they were given an opportunity to salvage something from this season by taking us a step closer to a Wembley final - something which many of them will have never experienced. And yep - they f’in bottled it. 

Infact, I’d been to all the EFL Trophy games this season before tonight - and the kids that we played in those games put up more of a display. 

I don’t know what the immediate answer is. I have faith in Jackson and he deserves time. But these players don’t deserve much else by this point. 

They’ll only go and bottle it again. If they want to spend their careers playing at League One level continually, then they can - but I don’t want them doing it at our expense, or Sandgaard’s expense. Time wasters.

Rant over.
    I think the Adkins problem hasn't been fully addressed yet. That of still missing  a clear leader who executes the manager's will. A great manager finds him signs him and builds everything around him. Ferguson and Keane is obviously the perfect example but I see other teams, less wealthy or fashionable that manage it too. It's finding that leader in an ocean of preening prima Donnas and snowflakes. In this age ~ very difficult. 

We have Inniss and Pearce and perhaps even Gilbey who have got "it". But the problem is all three have fitness problems. So rarely in the side consistently enough to get this team by the scruff of the neck and assert their presence. 

I don't think this squad is actually too bad a group. It's simply missing a leader on the park. With a leader ~ everyone's game is improved. Gives the less dominant players the confidence and freedom to express themselves while fighting for the team.

Perhaps we are in need of a JJ or Kinsella. The midfield particularly is wholly unimpressive and has been for a long while. We need a leader in the middle of the park. 

• aliwibble said:
    Bailey said:
    Not remotely bothered about the pizza cup, and wouldn't have been going to Wembley even if we'd got there. The concern is how poorly  we played tonight. If Hartlepool had had their shooting boots on we would have got slaughtered. The defence were all over the place, Watson wasn't so much running through treacle as wet concrete, miscommunication and lack of concentration/nous was rife across the midfield and wings and WTF Chuks thought he was doing with that "Hand of God" impression I do not know. There were occasional bright moments, such as Burstow's quick reflexes to head the rebound from his original shot in, but I lost count of the number of times we'd string a few nice passes together but a poor touch or misplaced pass would mean we were suddenly being counterattacked at speed, and players were out of position  or just didn't have the legs to deal with the threat. If we play like that against Pompey on Monday, the curse of Sky is going to be back with a vengeance.
    I've seen nothing this season to convince me we will be a major threat to anyone next season. I think that is the most unsettling thing of all. If we were playing really well week in week out and dominating games creating shedloads of chances and still losing each week by the single goal I would be able to overlook our failure to reach the playoffs THIS season.. knowing that eventually things would come good. 

We need a leader on the pitch. That may be Lavelle and/or Inniss if either can stay fit. But we also need leadership in midfield. A JJ or Kinsella. I think that and one excellent marksman is all we need really. A leader will raise everyone's game in the squad. There's enough skill in this squad but most are looking like they are lacking in confidence. 
  • aliwibble said:
    Bailey said:
    Not remotely bothered about the pizza cup, and wouldn't have been going to Wembley even if we'd got there. The concern is how poorly  we played tonight. If Hartlepool had had their shooting boots on we would have got slaughtered. The defence were all over the place, Watson wasn't so much running through treacle as wet concrete, miscommunication and lack of concentration/nous was rife across the midfield and wings and WTF Chuks thought he was doing with that "Hand of God" impression I do not know. There were occasional bright moments, such as Burstow's quick reflexes to head the rebound from his original shot in, but I lost count of the number of times we'd string a few nice passes together but a poor touch or misplaced pass would mean we were suddenly being counterattacked at speed, and players were out of position  or just didn't have the legs to deal with the threat. If we play like that against Pompey on Monday, the curse of Sky is going to be back with a vengeance.
    I've seen nothing this season to convince me we will be a major threat to anyone next season. I think that is the most unsettling thing of all. If we were playing really well week in week out and dominating games creating shedloads of chances and still losing each week by the single goal I would be able to overlook our failure to reach the playoffs THIS season.. knowing that eventually things would come good. 

We need a leader on the pitch. That may be Lavelle and/or Inniss if either can stay fit. But we also need leadership in midfield. A JJ or Kinsella. I think that and one excellent marksman is all we need really. A leader will raise everyone's game in the squad. There's enough skill in this squad but most are looking like they are lacking in confidence. 
    From what I saw, most are looking like they don't know what they are bloody well doing. So many looked awkward. Overhit simple passes, underhit simple passes  (there were a noticeable number of 'Hospital Balls'). Misdirected headers that don't even get  out of the penalty box. Frankly, at times, it was tragic.

I'm convinced confidence does come into it. But where's the running off the ball? The support? If Leko had some, he wouldn't have to keep trying to take on 3 players closing him down. There's no-one showing for him most of the time and he has to try and squeeze down the line himself to make any progress. 

Where's all the one-twos? The 'wall' passes?, etc. Basic Bob stuff.

AKA 'Teamwork'.

Just a thought, but if they played in a system they were used to and in positions they were coached in since they were kids, maybe they would know what they were bloody well doing and have the confidence to play their football.

We're talking League One here. Hartlepool are League Two and they looked like they knew what they were doing as a team and confident enough to play their game.

• Season well and truly over our highlight could be relegating gills - awful season v much underperformed - Thomas this needs to be a wake up call, get rid of the majority of the players lazy couldn’t give a shit cnuts
  • Listened to the game on radio. Squad isn’t good enough simple as. We’ve seen since November time that anytime we make changes to the first 11 we are significantly weaker. Thus, we’ve ended up playing them without being able to rotate and rest them.

There is about 7 or 8 players in the squad who I hope we don’t see play again for Charlton.

• cabbles said:
    I thought Aneke looked like an absolute bag of bricks when he came on.  That’s really excited me given he’s signed a 3 and a half year deal.  

Leko didn’t grab this opportunity with both hands either.  
    He looked absolutely out on his feet after 10 minutes. 
  • Been thinking about the game a fair bit this morning - I’m probably far more angrier about a Papa Johns trophy game than I should be…however 2 games from a day out at Wembley and the majority of that team looked like they couldn’t have cared less. It was our one chance to salvage something from a miserable season and we failed. Nobody played particularly well, but I’ve got to give special mentions to Leko, Matthews and Watson - absolutely disgraceful performances from all 3. 
    The only positive I can see at the moment is we only have 19 more games to suffer this season. 
  • cabbles said:
    I thought Aneke looked like an absolute bag of bricks when he came on.  That’s really excited me given he’s signed a 3 and a half year deal.  

Leko didn’t grab this opportunity with both hands either.  
    He looked absolutely out on his feet after 10 minutes. 
    I honestly don't think I've seen him run yet. He played 90 minutes against Cheltenham & Fleetwood but trudged around and hasn't held up the ball or had his usual pot shots. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Major said:
    Remember how they played when Jacko was just a caretaker manager?

What the hell happened?
    They wanted their mate to get the job….there’s no incentive to play out of their skins anymore now he has got it.
  • The youngsters who played in the last round had more vigour and passion than this so called 1st team. Would the result of been the same, who knows.
  • Straw poll

Who'd accept a 12th place finish to end the season right now and go straight to next season?
    Yes/No

Consider this result Thomas when planning for next season. 
  • Never have I felt so disconnected to a group of players. Honestly wouldn't care if we sold the lot bar burstow dobbo and Stockley. 

Season finished by January. So depressing. The words PLAN FOR NEXT SEASON, is a dagger through the heart. We're in league 1 FFS.
  • cabbles said:
    Can’t wait for Jason Pearce’s pathetic tweet about it being ‘not the result we wanted, we regroup and go again for the run in for the rest of the season’ etc etc 
    No player has commented on the game on Instagram so far. 

Think it will stay this way. 

• We go again. We can still make the playoffs.
  • Stewart said:
    cabbles said:
    Can’t wait for Jason Pearce’s pathetic tweet about it being ‘not the result we wanted, we regroup and go again for the run in for the rest of the season’ etc etc 
    No player has commented on the game on Instagram so far. 

Think it will stay this way. 

He loves a cliched tweet.  But, I hope you’re right.  We don’t need to know they’re working hard to put it right.  Just get on with it 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Yay... Here comes the childish abuse, for a competition no one wanted us to be in prior to the first game :D
    What do you expect? The one chance this season had to redeem itself, and we've been outplayed by a team 16th in the league below us. This season has been a fucking shambles from start to finish and fans have every right to be angry. 
    Its pathetic though the reaction

Even more so when you look back at that first Group game

No one gives a shit about this competition, so dont pretend to suddenly care when we get somewhere - Either give a shit from the beginning, or not at all
    We didn't give a shit at the start because it's a Mickey Mouse tournament, and we should have been aiming for top 6. The fact that this cup and a day out at Wembley has become so important shows you how useless this shower of shit are. We as a club shouldn't even be in this tournament, let alone clinging to it for hope of salvaging the season. That's where the anger comes from.

Add that to the fact this lot have been shit FOR WEEKS in the league as well, wtf is there to be positive about?

The fact we should stay up as there are likely 4 worse teams to keep us safe perhaps.