Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD [+post-match p21]: Hartlepool vs Charlton | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 25th Jan 2022

Comments

• Options
    I say it every season we are in League 1 -  I hate this competition & haven't seen a single game since the Prem teams entered into it. Waste of time

A cup is a cup. Any trophy is worth winning at Wembley. You sound like any Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea fan claiming the League Cup is pointless, yet as soon as they get to Wembley in the final its all hands on deck! Perspective is needed. This is our level for now and a cup we have a chance of winning.
    HAD a chance…. 
  • Options
    Cherry on top of the cake, as if the evening couldn't get any worse: we messed up the golfie.
  • Options
    We need a big clear out and start fresh next season and that includes Jackson I’m Afraid because I can’t see no Improvement what so ever
  • Options
    They deserved it more. We were well under par and they outplayed us for much of the game. Missed opportunity. Feel for the frozen travelling addicks who deserved better.
  • Options
    I say it every season we are in League 1 -  I hate this competition & haven't seen a single game since the Prem teams entered into it. Waste of time

A cup is a cup. Any trophy is worth winning at Wembley. You sound like any Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea fan claiming the League Cup is pointless, yet as soon as they get to Wembley in the final its all hands on deck! Perspective is needed. This is our level for now and a cup we have a chance of winning.
    HAD a chance…. 
    No no. We'll definitely have an opportunity next season.
  • Options
    Not childish mate, an observation. I click on your profile, read your comments, and loads of them I disagree with and think some of them are absolute nonsense
  • Options
    follett said:
    Formation needs changing asap. Pointless fitting a formation to a squad that doesn’t have the players. Half the team being played out of position again
    Good footballers should be able to play any formation, and any position to a certain degree.
  • Options
    Cherry on top of the cake, as if the evening couldn't get any worse: we messed up the golfie.
    To be fair we've been messing up the Golfie for years.
  • Options
    Very poor all round. So many players looked like they had never played together before. Our passing is atrocious.
    Matthews, Famewo, Lee.....cant wait to see the back of them, poor is an understatement.

Signing the likes of Matthews Gunter, Leko, CBT, Soare, Lee and DJ, shows how poor our recruitment is and why we are still underperforming in the bottom half of League 1. We dont have the players to play the system that Jacko wants to play, so why isnt he playing to what strength we have? I like Jacko, but cant see him earning a new contract at this rate.
  • Options
    I hate how this shite cup has become the only out of an otherwise shite season but it has. We cant even mange that. i'm fucking off to spurs with my brother, no wait, there shit at cups an all... erm... blue moooonnnnn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Not childish mate, an observation. I click on your profile, read your comments, and loads of them I disagree with and think some of them are absolute nonsense
    It is fine to have a difference of opinion, but this is a forum of Charlton fans all with different opinions. 

No need to act like a dick over different opinions. 

Your own posts have progressively got more negative understandably so, but I don't see the optimists telling you they disagree with most of what you say or suggest they're nonsensical.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Thats absolutely fine... Like I said, got no issue with anyone disagreeing with me - Isnt that part of any forum? - Your first line though, that takes me back to the school playground, is that how old you are?

Sorry, just thought it was a little pathetic

P.S. If you dont like my posts, here's a fun suggestion... IGNORE THEM!! - You do have the ability to that
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    follett said:
    Formation needs changing asap. Pointless fitting a formation to a squad that doesn’t have the players. Half the team being played out of position again
    Good footballers should be able to play any formation, and any position to a certain degree.
    Not strictly true, if you're going to play 352 then probably the 2 most crucial positions in that formation are the 2 wingbacks.

Sadly we do not have anyone close to being good enough, to the point we're trying to shoehorn wingers who before us had probably never played that role in their careers.

Hopefully Castillo can solve one side, but DJ/Matthews/Leko/whoever are not even close to being the answer on the other side.
  • Options
    Appalling performance from the lot of them tonight. Someone should have told Lee to sit back down when he put his hand up for the pen, he hasnt hit a ball cleanly for weeks infact I was surprised it even reached the goal as I was expecting him to scuff it much more than he did.

JJ needs to be a bit more flexible to change formation when it isnt working otherwise he will be off at the end of the season as we are in for a bumpy ride if we stay so predictable 
  • Options
    You’ve gotta laugh really.

we have sunk to such a level of shiteness that we are all genuinely disappointed we’ve flopped out of what is widely seen as a laughing stock of a competition. One that the team 17th in League 2 rested players in.

Would've been nice to get to Wembley, but i think most of us are more pissed off with the performance than going out of the pizza cup.

I thought we were past the days of summer clear outs, but it feels like we need another fucking overhaul.

Realistically we need to sign 2 wingbacks, a centre back (Inniss won't last a season, Pearce not good enough), a DM as cover for Dobson, 2 attacking midfielders (1 to play, 1 as backup) and perhaps even another striker.
    Agreed. It's not as the 2-2 draw flattered Hartlepool either, they should have won in normal time.

You do have to question the coaching as well as the players. For all the question marks about some of our squad, it's still full of players who ought to be a LOT better than Hartlepool, an average L2 side. Yes they clearly raised their game for the match, but we didn't look like a team with a plan on how to play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    What a truly shite season. We can’t even look at Ipswich anymore & say ‘oh well it could be worse!’

They have stormed up the league having only lost one of the last 7…with 4 wins in the last 5. 

Can’t believe the direction us & them have taken since we beat them at the Valley in Nov. We seem to get out played by everyone we play against and they are now just two places outside the playoffs.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Anyone singling Lee for missing the pen while ignoring the multiple bigger issues from the top down, needs to have a think about it.

F**k the penalties and F**k the Papa John's Cup, this club is up to it's neck in it and, imo, the shake-up that was needed when Adkins was still here, still needs to happen. All we do is live from one transfer window to another, waiting for the 6,7,8,,,,,11? signings we actually need to be able move forward. Well, I can't see anything near that happening any time soon, sorry.

your last sentence said it all. i cant see anything happening either. and that my friends is the one we need to sort out. but but, don't worry our chairman is having a guitar moment with some fans at the royal oak... 
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HAD a chance…. 
    Generally speaking, ffs, like next year, and the year after, and after .......
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If things don't change fast, I'd like some interesting changes. 4-4-2 for a start, no Gunter or Matthews, so Clare gets asked to play there.

Not sure how well Dobson will do at CM in a 2 but worth a try? 

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington
    Jaiyesimi - Gilbey - Dobson - B.Taylor
    Aneke - Burstow