Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    paulfox said:
    cabbles said:
    I think Matthews will be released along with Gunter, Souare and Watson.

Pearce will probably get offered a similar deal to the one he’s on, which would be a mistake imo.  A coaching role is fine, anything more is too much in terms of the squad place we’ll be giving up.

Morgan will probably get another shot if he continues his effort between now and the end of the season given he’s a youth product.  

Purrington could also be another one we give another year.  For me, that would send out a very uninspiring signal and if he we go for him, Lee, Leko, Famewo, we’ll be back here this time next year 
    We do need to get rid of as many as possible in this team, including Morgan, trying a little bit harder doesn’t mean he will be good, get rid. He does not make us better and has too many unsuccessful attempts at being a first choice midfielder. I just can’t have any of this blind loyalty anymore, Jacko and TS need to be ruthless this summer, because the players that deserve to be here next year could be counted on one hand. If they haven’t got Jacko  the tin tack by then. They majority are a disgrace and don’t seem to give a toss about who the manager is, get JJ the job then all relax because then they’ll be ok. So fed up with this bunch of players.😤
    Oh here we go again at Morgan bashing🙄. Clearly because in the eyes of many he has played reasonably you have had to stay away from your dislike and obsession to be all that is negative about him of late #seemorgancomments. Football of course is about opinions and in a team that are at times underperforming but mainly not good enough Albie is a much better player than you give credit for. Or rather refuse to give credit to.

Perhaps you may consider that if he played in a team that was performing how we would want he might be the type of player to shine more.
    Lol!! Yes I’m terribly obsessive about knocking him,🥱😬😜 you need to read all of my comments, not just the ones where I knock him. Your correct it is about opinions I’ve got mine, which is he is never going to be part of us getting promoted, if he’s a regular. Bored of the protecting him, because he’s one of our own though. We certainly wouldn’t be trying to sign him if he was somebody else’s.
  • Options
    I'd like to think we will be pretty ruthless this summer, but I don't expect we will be.
    I'd like to think we will have the budget and drive to get in the quality we need and not third choice mediocrity.
    It's not my money, but the owner has it in his power to make things happen.
    Presumably he will want my money invested in a renewal of my season ticket.
    Quid pro quo and all that
  • Options
    As CL’s probably already know from previous posts I have posted, I am not a fan of Jackson.

However if Jackson does remain in post I foresee a problem this summer.

When both Bowyer and Adkins were in charge, and to an extent also Robinson, these managers had a certain amount of respect within the game. New signings would sign for these managers based on the reputations within the game.

Sadly Jackson’s CV is less appealing.
    He has been assistant manager to both Bowyer and Adkins.
    Bowyer leaving just before he was pushed, and Adkin’s who was sacked.

With Jackson as the main manager, he has turned Charlton into a team in crisis. He looks a broken man. The team are not performing, and the fans are taking to the forums venting their anger.

Put quite simply, Jackson doesn’t have charisma or the background in professional football to attract up and coming players in the way that previous managers have. 

Look at the two loan signings he managed to attract in January. Hardly the caliber of Cullen and Belik who Bowyer managed to attract. Or even Miller who Adkin’s attracted last year.

If Jackson remains in charge I cannot see many decent players wanting to join Charlton this summer. Unbelievably we have probably dropped below teams like Oxford, Portsmouth and MK Dons as a force in League 1.

If Jackson remains in charge it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Not sure what people are complaining about what Jackson has said. He’s bang on.

He’s not saying that’s all we need but most definitely is an area where we must improve.

Oxford are a ball playing side but won more aerial battles than us. Wigan won 2.5x the amount of aerial battles as we did.

I would assume we have hardly came out on top of aerial battles this season when Stockley hasn’t been playing.

We are predictable with just Inniss able to win a header and it’s easy for opponents.

It’s an area we must improve and is why I’d also like us to sign Chey Dunkley for example, as mentioned before.
    We don't have that short a team though, we just have a team who put minimal effort in a challenge and are constantly beaten in the air because of it. 

Our aerial battles stats are no doubt skewed because we've still been lumping it up top for the entire time Stockley has been out..
  • Options
    As CL’s probably already know from previous posts I have posted, I am not a fan of Jackson.

When both Bowyer and Adkins were in charge, and to an extent also Robinson, these managers had a certain amount of respect within the game. New signings would sign for these managers based on the reputations within the game.

With Jackson as the main manager, he has turned Charlton into a team in crisis. He looks a broken man. The team are not performing, and the fans are taking to the forums venting their anger.

Put quite simply, Jackson doesn’t have charisma or the background in professional football to attract up and coming players in the way that previous managers have. 

Look at the two loan signings he managed to attract in January. Hardly the caliber of Cullen and Belik who Bowyer managed to attract. Or even Miller who Adkin’s attracted last year.

If Jackson remains in charge I cannot see many decent players wanting to join Charlton this summer. Unbelievably we have probably dropped below teams like Oxford, Portsmouth and MK Dons as a force in League 1.

If Jackson remains in charge it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    That's making an assumption that Cullen, Bielik and Millar came here for the manager, but given where they were prior to that it can't be the case.

We signed Cullen after he didn't impress with Bolton in the Championship, a step down to L1 was always likely. Similar with Bielik, he joined Walsall on loan but didn't play due to injury, so another L1 loan was expected. Millar had a couple of loans with Kilmarnock in the SPL, he wasn't in a position to demand something better.

Budget will dictate how well we compete with clubs like Oxford, Pompey and MK Dons far more than how big a name our manager is and where we finish this season (assuming we don't get relegated!).

You'd have a point if our League 1 rivals built up strong squads based on having big name managers but most of them had less glamorous careers than Jackson. We know Karl Robinson mainly spent his in non-league, while Leam Richardson and Paul Warne to pick out a couple more weren't too impressive either.
  • Options
    Did Bowyer have final say on transfers as part of his contract? Worrying that TS has final say now, he should be setting the budget and then leaving the football people to it. The quality of recruitment (particularly loans) seems to have dropped off since Bowyer left. Looking at the players Birmingham have signed on loan (other than Castillo) they have all been very good signings that have done well for them (Hernandez, Taylor, Mengi, McGree, Sanderson) . Even under Sandgaard Bowyer brought in Millar and Stockley on loan last January. Maybe it was more Bowyer than Gallen that was behind getting mostly very good players in on loan or the drop off in quality could be due to TS now having final say rather than the manager? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Did Bowyer have final say on transfers as part of his contract? Worrying that TS has final say now, he should be setting the budget and then leaving the football people to it. The quality of recruitment (particularly loans) seems to have dropped off since Bowyer left. Looking at the players Birmingham have signed on loan (other than Castillo) they have all been very good signings that have done well for them (Hernandez, Taylor, Mengi, McGree, Sanderson) . Even under Sandgaard Bowyer brought in Millar and Stockley on loan last January. Maybe it was more Bowyer than Gallen that was behind getting mostly very good players in on loan or the drop off in quality could be due to TS now having final say rather than the manager? 
    Wouldn't the owner set the budget but still approve deals before they can be finalised? If that's all TS is doing then that seems normal.
  • Options
    Every midfielder, central defender, and attacking player we bring in has to have goals in them.
  • Options

I get the criticism of Jackson.
    I have my own doubts and also found the change in form between his caretaker-ship and permanent appointment alarming.
    However, would just throw in the old chestnut he inherited the previous managers squad.
    Given that he is playing a different system (and sticking to it resolutely) he deserves a chance at least to mould a squad to suit his own vision.
    As I say, I am not convinced, but we can't keep changing managers at the drop of a hat.
    Having said that, if results and performances like Saturday continue, the decision will have to be made anyway
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Forest Green have two very good wing backs in Cadden (LWB) and Wilson (RWB). We could do worse than buy them both. If only one, then Cadden.
    Brilliant!

1. they are a better side than us and on the way up

2. No way we could afford them, if we can add Matty Steven’s to the list and the CM player 
    You're right, fuck it all off. Good players? From teams that have just been promoted from a lower league? Stupid idea.  We've had a poor season, there's no point in focusing on improving our squad, lean into the darkness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Wouldn't the owner set the budget but still approve deals before they can be finalised? If that's all TS is doing then that seems normal.
    You'd hope so but I fear maybe he is too involved, maybe not just in recruitment but overall at the club TS needs to take more of a back seat. Unfortunately I can't see that happening so hopefully he has learned from the mistakes of this season
  • Options

I get the criticism of Jackson.
    I have my own doubts and also found the change in form between his caretaker-ship and permanent appointment alarming.
    However, would just throw in the old chestnut he inherited the previous managers squad.
    Given that he is playing a different system (and sticking to it resolutely) he deserves a chance at least to mould a squad to suit his own vision.
    As I say, I am not convinced, but we can't keep changing managers at the drop of a hat.
    Having said that, if results and performances like Saturday continue, the decision will have to be made anyway
    I think Powell got similar doubts. But he had an advantage in that he knew who could do it and who couldn't and was able to act quickly to address it. Jacko joined us at about that time and would be aware of what happened. I think a new manager would need more time to work it all out and it makes sense to hope Jackson has the answers, not just based on managerial knowledge, but knowledge of the players we have.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    All owners / chairman have final say their the ones signing the deal off 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Forest Green have two very good wing backs in Cadden (LWB) and Wilson (RWB). We could do worse than buy them both. If only one, then Cadden.
    Brilliant!

2. No way we could afford them, if we can add Matty Steven’s to the list and the CM player 
    You're right, fuck it all off. Good players? From teams that have just been promoted from a lower league? Stupid idea.  We've had a poor season, there's no point in focusing on improving our squad, lean into the darkness.

Or base my opinion on facts & logic

Last summer we lost out on a whole raft of free transfer signings because we didn't or couldn't match the Championship wages - Jordan Graham and Randell Williams (L2) were two examples confirmed by Rich Cawley. These two are both better prospects that have already been linked with Champ clubs

Last year we just missed out on the playoffs and had a 'big name' manager and lots of positivity around the club, this summer we will likely have none of those (sorry for leaning into darkness) Truth is FGR are a better run side than us, with more momentum, if we played them on Saturday i'd be very confident they would beat us currently. 

If these two are still under contracts then they will both go for £1m+ so far we have spent a high of £0.5m on Fraser, do you think we'll spend £1m+

Now please tell me why you think we can sign Kane Wilson one of the biggest prospects in L1 & L2. Hopefully we will identify other good players and sign them, but I'm very confident it won't be these two or any star players from FGR.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant!

Last summer we lost out on a whole raft of free transfer signings because we didn't or couldn't match the Championship wages - Jordan Graham and Randell Williams (L2) were two examples confirmed by Rich Cawley. These two are both better prospects that have already been linked with Champ clubs

Last year we just missed out on the playoffs and had a 'big name' manager and lots of positivity around the club, this summer we will likely have none of those (sorry for leaning into darkness) Truth is FGR are a better run side than us, with more momentum, if we played them on Saturday i'd be very confident they would beat us currently. 

If these two are still under contracts then they will both go for £1m+ so far we have spent a high of £0.5m on Fraser, do you think we'll spend £1m+

Now please tell me why you think we can sign Kane Wilson one of the biggest prospects in L1 & L2. Hopefully we will identify other good players and sign them, but I'm very confident it won't be these two or any star players from FGR.
    Didn’t we sign Charlie Kirk, one of the biggest prospects in the summer window?  Didn’t we sign Fraser in January, rated as one of the best players in league one.  Didn’t we beat clubs to sign Clare?

We’re piss poor at the moment, and people are rightly angry (me included) but it’s not so doom and gloom we can’t sign players from a lentil munching league two side come good.  Unless these wing backs really are the real deal I must admit I don’t know much about them.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant!

Let's be honest, there was a view from high up in the club that the U-23s could fill in the gaps. I don't know this eminated from Sandgaard but he is my prime suspect as I doubt anybody who knew about football would believe it.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    That's not quite what he's doing, because he's passing judgement on the player's ability and saying yes or no based on whether he thinks they're any good (source: Gallen). I'm not sure many owners are putting themselves at the top of the scouting pyramid in that way, rather than just approving the deal.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    That's not quite what he's doing, because he's passing judgement on the player's ability and saying yes or no based on whether he thinks they're any good (source: Gallen). I'm not sure many owners are putting themselves at the top of the scouting pyramid in that way, rather than just approving the deal.
    Not just Thomas passing judgement on the players ability but his son as well. So imagine a situation where father & son feel a player is right for the team but JJ does not agree. I wonder who will win the vote? 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant!

Didn’t we sign Charlie Kirk, one of the biggest prospects in the summer window?  Didn’t we sign Fraser in January, rated as one of the best players in league one.  Didn’t we beat clubs to sign Clare?

We’re piss poor at the moment, and people are rightly angry (me included) but it’s not so doom and gloom we can’t sign players from a lentil munching league two side come good.  Unless these wing backs really are the real deal I must admit I don’t know much about them.
    Kane Wilson for sure is the ‘real deal’ it’s not we can’t sign good players more specifically those FGR players will have Champ interest for sure and we can’t compete with that 👍🏼

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant!

Kane Wilson for sure is the ‘real deal’ it’s not we can’t sign good players more specifically those FGR players will have Champ interest for sure and we can’t compete with that 👍🏼

Some said that about Danny Green and insisted we had no chance of signing him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Rhoys Wiggins too.

If he’s a top target, we have to go for him. The important thing is to have a list of targets in case it doesn’t work out.

The summer just gone had the feeling of putting all our eggs into the basket of our number one targets (Fraser) and then having to sign a bloke in a panic to fill a hole in the squad (Arter).

That’s what we have to avoid this time around.

Wilson is quality and would be a great addition. But who else is on the shortlist if he decides to go somewhere else? We need at least 4-5 candidates for each role we are looking to fill.
  • Options
    Rhoys Wiggins too.

If he’s a top target, we have to go for him. The important thing is to have a list of targets in case it doesn’t work out.

The summer just gone had the feeling of putting all our eggs into the basket of our number one targets (Fraser) and then having to sign a bloke in a panic to fill a hole in the squad (Arter).

Wilson is quality and would be a great addition. But who else is on the shortlist if he decides to go somewhere else? We need at least 4-5 candidates for each role we are looking to fill.
    Like all other clubs we have a list of players we would like to sign, with expected costs, for every position, in order of desirability, with expected availability, and contract length, which is continually updated.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant!

Bit of a test then for the club this summer. Let’s see if we have any real ambition or if we’re bargain basement. It’s always going to be very hard to grab the best talent if there’s interest from a Championship club, as you say, but that shouldn’t stop them having a good go at it. 
    Much may depend on how many players we can unload, and how much we get for them. Not all that much, I suspect. 
    The players with some value will probably turn out to be Dobson, Kanu, Stockley and potentially Elerewe, and we don’t want to lose them. 
  • Options
    Total clear out needed and not just talking about playing staff. Coaches, back room and people who are running the day to day of the club, total shambles.
  • Options
    If we bring in one player that hasn't got goals in him, relevant to his position in the summer it will say it all. We are f*ing full of missers. 
  • Options
    Total clear out needed and not just talking about playing staff. Coaches, back room and people who are running the day to day of the club, total shambles.
    Spot on.
    I said exactly this when Adkins was sacked and got abuse for saying it.

The truth is the club is a complete shambles, and hard as it is to believe we are getting even worse.
  • Options
    It looks like Naby Sarr could be available. I'd have him back. 
  • Options
    Rhoys Wiggins too.

So we need a list totalling to about 50 players.
  • Options
    Biggest issue for me is recruitment. I'm not totally convinced on Gallen. We've signed so many players since TS took over and only a handful you could say have been a success 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Rhoys Wiggins too.

Like all other clubs we have a list of players we would like to sign, with expected costs, for every position, in order of desirability, with expected availability, and contract length, which is continually updated.
    I would hope so but after the last few transfer windows, I’m unconvinced of that fact…