Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Sage said:
    Rhoys Wiggins too.

If he’s a top target, we have to go for him. The important thing is to have a list of targets in case it doesn’t work out.

The summer just gone had the feeling of putting all our eggs into the basket of our number one targets (Fraser) and then having to sign a bloke in a panic to fill a hole in the squad (Arter).

That’s what we have to avoid this time around.

Wilson is quality and would be a great addition. But who else is on the shortlist if he decides to go somewhere else? We need at least 4-5 candidates for each role we are looking to fill.
    So we need a list totalling to about 50 players.
    By June, yes I think that’s fair. We better have our scouts getting busy over the next two to three months.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Interesting thread on Twitter… each player with an upcoming contract expiring put to a vote. Two options: offer a new deal or let go. Eleven in total.

https://twitter.com/marcusally_/status/1496118893311631363?s=21

Current results…

Washington 88% offer new deal
    Inniss 81% offer new deal
    Purrington 77% offer new deal
    Forster-Caskey 60% offer new deal
    Pearce 35% offer new deal
    Davison 26% offer new deal
    Matthews 13% offer new deal
    Henderson 12% offer new deal
    Watson 5% offer new deal
    Souare 4% offer new deal
    Gunter 3% offer new deal

• Options
    I'd like to see either Colby Bishop or Stockton come in and Assal from AFC Wimbledon 
  • Options
    I’m leaning toward innis being let go to be honest you can’t have a dominate centre half who can’t play more than 35 games, defence the one area that needs consistency.  Look millwall for example, Cooper played two seasons in a row all 46 games.
    I agree, surprising how many want to keep a CB who can’t play twice a week. You can get away with a striker or winger but it doesn’t work for a CB.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Teams of good players playing consistently probably win more than teams with great players who rarely play.
  • Options
    Interesting thread on Twitter… each player with an upcoming contract expiring put to a vote. Two options: offer a new deal or let go. Eleven in total.

Current results…

Watson 5% offer new deal
    Souare 4% offer new deal
    Gunter 3% offer new deal

Shocked at the amount of people who would offer some of those a new deal
    I was thinking the same. Gunter at 3% seems particularly high.
    Washington and Purrington are the only two I feel are fair enough, with the latter as a backup.

I wouldnt re-sign anyone from Pearce down (sadly), including Inniss

Forster-Caskey... Dunno where to start with him, feels he's an enigma
  • Options
    Honestly I'd keep Washington as cover and possibly Innis if you could come to some kind of a pay as you play type deal with his injuries. JFC I'm on the fence about , obviously there's a player there with him but that's 2 serious knee injuries for him and I'm not sure how he's going to come back. 

Rest of them I'm completely not bothered by.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    cabbles said:
    I think Matthews will be released along with Gunter, Souare and Watson.

Pearce will probably get offered a similar deal to the one he’s on, which would be a mistake imo.  A coaching role is fine, anything more is too much in terms of the squad place we’ll be giving up.

Morgan will probably get another shot if he continues his effort between now and the end of the season given he’s a youth product.  

Purrington could also be another one we give another year.  For me, that would send out a very uninspiring signal and if he we go for him, Lee, Leko, Famewo, we’ll be back here this time next year 
    We do need to get rid of as many as possible in this team, including Morgan, trying a little bit harder doesn’t mean he will be good, get rid. He does not make us better and has too many unsuccessful attempts at being a first choice midfielder. I just can’t have any of this blind loyalty anymore, Jacko and TS need to be ruthless this summer, because the players that deserve to be here next year could be counted on one hand. If they haven’t got Jacko  the tin tack by then. They majority are a disgrace and don’t seem to give a toss about who the manager is, get JJ the job then all relax because then they’ll be ok. So fed up with this bunch of players.😤
    Oh here we go again at Morgan bashing🙄. Clearly because in the eyes of many he has played reasonably you have had to stay away from your dislike and obsession to be all that is negative about him of late #seemorgancomments. Football of course is about opinions and in a team that are at times underperforming but mainly not good enough Albie is a much better player than you give credit for. Or rather refuse to give credit to.

Perhaps you may consider that if he played in a team that was performing how we would want he might be the type of player to shine more.
    Lol!! Yes I’m terribly obsessive about knocking him,🥱😬😜 you need to read all of my comments, not just the ones where I knock him. Your correct it is about opinions I’ve got mine, which is he is never going to be part of us getting promoted, if he’s a regular. Bored of the protecting him, because he’s one of our own though. We certainly wouldn’t be trying to sign him if he was somebody else’s.
    Totally agree, we wouldn’t be trying to sign him if he was somebody else’s...Also our real quality academy players are sold well before getting the amount of game time he's had.
  • Options

Current results…

Watson 5% offer new deal
    Souare 4% offer new deal
    Gunter 3% offer new deal

Washington yes
    Inniss yes
    Purrington yes
    Forster-Caskey short term deal 

Pearce going to be a coach but handy to keep his playing registration 
    Davison no 
    Matthews no like  Matthews but made to big errors in last two games plus not sure he fits wing back role 
    Henderson no
    Watson no
    Souare no
    Gunter no but played well last night 
  • Options
    A fit Innis is a must, the current Innis is a probably not.
  • Options
    I can't believe 13% of people would keep Matthews - he epitomizes everything that's wrong with this club / squad
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    I can't believe 13% of people would keep Matthews - he epitomizes everything that's wrong with this club / squad
    It also shows the morons that are voting on Twitter know fuck all about football 
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think unfortunately that the plan for the summer should be clearing out the entire backroom, from physios through to the manager and starting over. We've had some form of consistency in the coaching team since, what 2017? From Robinson getting Bowyer in we have been carrying on with a core consistency of overlapping backroom staff and it hasn't gone particularly well. Bowyer helped Robinson but had completely different ideas of how he wanted to play. Jackson worked well with Bowyer but then Adkins came in and had a completely different idea of how he wanted to play. Jackson stayed when maybe he shouldn't, and Adkins might have benefited from his own assistant, and then when Adkins broke Jackson took over and once again wanted to play completely differently. Along the way I haven't heard anything about the training or the coaching changing drastically. We've had a lot of inexperienced coaches who are probably not changing a great deal on the training ground over the years, and we've been seeing ridiculous injury lists every year. Some of that was only being able to afford crocks, but we've started breaking players who arne't even historically injury-prone as well and it does feel like there must be an issue there. We keep talking about how there's a real problem at the club but it's hard to see exactly what it is. At this point I'm concerned that we're signing decent, often highly-rated players and then seeing them either never adapt, or start well and then decline horribly once we've got our stink all over them. I bet if we told Gilbey, Famewo, Clare and Lee to seek other employment we'd see them do well under a different set-up. We keep getting a new person in but never a whole new backroom group and the small changes inevitably aren't having the wholesale effect we want. I hate thinking it, but I think maybe at the end of the season we get rid of Jackson, Euell, Skiverton, the rest of the first team backroom staff and bring someone in based on a certain style of playing, and then continue to hire people who fit that system. No more signing Charlie Kirks, Lekos and CBTs and then hiring a manager who doesn't play with wingers. What's the point in giving Aneke is 3.5 year contract if the next manager only wants to play with one striker and we're suddenly overloaded there? New broom, start it all over and let a whole new style come in at Sparrow's Lane. It's cheaper and more efficient to do that than just keep signing players and kicking them to the curb when they can't perform in our horrible team.
  • Options
    Why does Gallen and Hamish Balfour watch our games?  Should they not be out watching other games so that they are tracking the players we are looking to sign? Or does the black box do this for them?
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/VkEQz6Fn0co

https://youtu.be/nXjOUsXj1-Q

Our continuous cycle of injuries always makes me think of this episode in Ted Lasso and the treatment room curse. Maybe we could try something similar 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    I'm in agreement with this guy pretty much:

That's the makings of a good team. I don't think our players are anywhere near as bad as they are playing recently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are new RB new LB new ST brothers ??
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    It’s ten seasons ago now since Chris Powell’s revolution, he had contacts throughout the game not least of all from his time as PFA Chairman. He wined and dined the majority of his potential new signings with their other halves in the millennium lounge whilst over looking the Valley in all it’s close season splendour. 

He got them to buy into his ethos from day one and I would sincerely hope that Jackson is of the same ilk having been an integral part of Powell’s plans. If he hasn’t done so he needs to convince TS and MS how successful and important this aspect was and still is in addition to any ‘black box analysis’ that is in vogue these days.
  • Options

That's the makings of a good team. I don't think our players are anywhere near as bad as they are playing recently.
    Mac, Famewo, Gilbey are part of the problems now, weak average players, never get promoted with those three as regulars in the side'

JFC, not sure and Lavelle is not pulling up trees.  
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    It’s ten seasons ago now since Chris Powell’s revolution, he had contacts throughout the game not least of all from his time as PFA Chairman. He wined and dined the majority of his potential new signings with their other halves in the millennium lounge whilst over looking the Valley in all it’s close season splendour. 

He got them to buy into his ethos from day one and I would sincerely hope that Jackson is of the same ilk having been an integral part of Powell’s plans. If he hasn’t done so he needs to convince TS and MS how successful and important this aspect was and still is in addition to any ‘black box analysis’ that is in vogue these days
    This. I would like us to focus on people and characters rather than data. Jacko should speak to them about the history of the club, what we are looking to do. A CEO should be working with him on that as well, but not interfering with who we sign. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Manager is in charge. 

TS has had enough time since taking over to learn from mistakes and appoint a CEO and understand the history of the club and what it is about. He hasn't yet and is poor. 

If he doesn't learn this summer then I can't see a way back for him and I think a majority of people including me will want him out. Sad that's what we could be faced with, but he's only got himself to blame.
  • Options

Mac, Famewo, Gilbey are part of the problems now, weak average players, never get promoted with those three as regulars in the side'

JFC, not sure and Lavelle is not pulling up trees.  
    Not sure I agree with that. I see your point on recent form, but Famewo and Gilbey were regular enough last season and we missed playoffs by a whisker.

I think its hard to fairly judge the quality of our players at the moment, because we are clearly playing in a system that is not working for them.
  • Options
    Everything depends on what division we’re in.
  • Options
    How many F’s in Plan …..

there is no F in plan