Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    Here's my amazing unbiased choice of a side that could take on League One. 4-3-3 cos that's the best formation

AMB

Clare Inniss Lavelle NEW

Dobson

Fraser NEW

NEW Aneke CBT

Subs: MacGillivray, NEW CB (or it can be Famewo), NEW LB/RB, Morgan, DJ, Washington, Stockley

No fucking Gilbey

Priority signings: a left-back, a right-back, a midfielder, a serious wing forward to allow DJ to be a utility bench player

• Options
    Morgan graduates into that side if he keeps improving obv
  • Options
    We’re going to need a bigger piece of paper.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Just don’t really see a clear path out of the mess. The whole thing really does need tearing down. And maybe Thomas needs outside investment to help make that happen. But who will invest in a team that doesn’t own the stadium or training ground? He was the only one mad enough to take us on, he’s going to have a tough time finding anyone nearly as mad as he is.

Promotion will come, it has to come & we will stumble upon the formula like we did in 2012 and 2019.

Sure there might be a promotion eventually but it will likely be followed by a struggle to stay up and then relegation. This club isn’t going to make meaningful progress until we get shot of Roland and his vice-like grip on CAFC.
  • Options
    Just don’t really see a clear path out of the mess. The whole thing really does need tearing down. And maybe Thomas needs outside investment to help make that happen. But who will invest in a team that doesn’t own the stadium or training ground? He was the only one mad enough to take us on, he’s going to have a tough time finding anyone nearly as mad as he is.

Promotion will come, it has to come & we will stumble upon the formula like we did in 2012 and 2019.

Sure there might be a promotion eventually but it will likely be followed by a struggle to stay up and then relegation. This club isn’t going to make meaningful progress until we get shot of Roland and his vice-like grip on CAFC.
    Companies often lease the premises they use rather than own, at the moment I don’t see the relevance of Roland at all, hasn’t he given us a long term lease plan?  Happy to be put in my place by someone with more business knowledge than I have of course.

We’ve strategic and operational issues at the moment, not fundamentals IMO.  For the operational matters (on the pitch) to be fixed the strategy has to be fixed first, that starts with TS learning from this seasons mess.
  • Options
    I think it is clear that TS is not going to finance a major overhaul of the squad. He is desperate to get out of that cycle.
    Unfortunately I believe a significant overhaul is needed again and we need a core of quality signings who are young and hungry and with a good fitness record.
    What I suspect will happen is a half-way house fudge.
    He also needs to clarify the managerial situation.
    I don’t think an overhaul is that healthy, look at Ipswich despite what they bought in they only just found any sort of consistency this month.  We’re not going to be able to recreate the overhaul of 11/12 realistically are we?

We need to clear out the deadwood and replace with quality hungry additions, I said 7/8, I can’t see and don’t think it should be anymore than that, the acquisitions however are key.
    Ipswich 3rd in form table last 10 games with 22 points and looking a decent bet for play offs with 4 soft teams to play in a row and only 4 points off now.  Not what they wanted at the start but if they make top 6 they stand a good chance as will be in form. I would take that.
  • Options
    I think it is clear that TS is not going to finance a major overhaul of the squad. He is desperate to get out of that cycle.
    Unfortunately I believe a significant overhaul is needed again and we need a core of quality signings who are young and hungry and with a good fitness record.
    What I suspect will happen is a half-way house fudge.
    He also needs to clarify the managerial situation.
    I don’t think an overhaul is that healthy, look at Ipswich despite what they bought in they only just found any sort of consistency this month.  We’re not going to be able to recreate the overhaul of 11/12 realistically are we?

We need to clear out the deadwood and replace with quality hungry additions, I said 7/8, I can’t see and don’t think it should be anymore than that, the acquisitions however are key.
    Ipswich 3rd in form table last 10 games with 22 points and looking a decent bet for play offs with 4 soft teams to play in a row and only 4 points off now.  Not what they wanted at the start but if they make top 6 they stand a good chance as will be in form. I would take that.
    See a later post from me after yesterday saying something along the lines of “changed my mind get rid of the f*ckin lot”.  

• Options
    Akin Famewo is more than good enough. He's going to make the odd mistake from a lapse in concentration, but on form he can be unplayable. 

Also - he's 23 years old. he will improve! 
  • Options
    Akin Famewo is more than good enough. He's going to make the odd mistake from a lapse in concentration, but on form he can be unplayable. 

He has been consistently poor for weeks, not the odd mistake. Got turned inside out by almost every pass near him when he came on yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

He has been consistently poor for weeks, not the odd mistake. Got turned inside out by almost every pass near him when he came on yesterday.
    Loads have consistently bad for weeks.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Here's my amazing unbiased choice of a side that could take on League One. 4-3-3 cos that's the best formation

AMB

Clare Inniss Lavelle NEW

Dobson

Fraser NEW

NEW Aneke CBT

Subs: MacGillivray, NEW CB (or it can be Famewo), NEW LB/RB, Morgan, DJ, Washington, Stockley

No fucking Gilbey

Priority signings: a left-back, a right-back, a midfielder, a serious wing forward to allow DJ to be a utility bench player

Problem with that is 2 of the key players in Innis and Aneke can't seem to get a run of 3 full games together let alone the best part of a season. Both fantastic players at this level but unfortunately their availability issues seem material. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Companies often lease the premises they use rather than own, at the moment I don’t see the relevance of Roland at all, hasn’t he given us a long term lease plan?  Happy to be put in my place by someone with more business knowledge than I have of course.

We’ve strategic and operational issues at the moment, not fundamentals IMO.  For the operational matters (on the pitch) to be fixed the strategy has to be fixed first, that starts with TS learning from this seasons mess.
    I suppose it depends how far you want to believe the rumours that TS is looking for investors to come onboard. A very decent chance he’s not getting any said investors until the club own the premises once again.

Then it’s a question of how far does TS want to take this and how much money is he willing to throw away. Because he’s not a bottomless pit of money. Is he prepared to spend the millions that would be required for a complete club overhaul of players and staff? Something the calibre of what Wigan put together. How many seasons can he afford to keep doing it if it keeps going wrong?

If TS ups and leaves, we are truly in the brown stuff. People are right to point out that he’s making ill advised choices but without his money, CAFC head towards oblivion.
  • Options
    After yesterday I think it’s clear the players are the problem rather than the system (Oxford played same system).  And JJ is seemingly going to stick to it.  

So with this in mind I think his new tactic to “plan for the summer” should be to only play players in their actual positions no matter how far down into the youth system you have to go.  

This means no more Clare at CB, Matthews RWB, Purrington CB, Jaiyesimi RWB, Leko anywhere.

This also applies to players that he’s no intention of signing at all, although in some circumstances there are players that he probably won’t sign but he’ll give a chance to impress.  

Tuesday would then have to have wing backs from the youth as well forwards until our plethora of injuries are recovered.  I personally would be happy to see this.
  • Options

Not every young player improves. I could see him becoming more consistent, but a team who wants to play out from the back will likely look elsewhere. If we want to play that way we need the right type of defenders.
  • Options
    Players with contracts ending at the end of the season: 

Henderson
    Pearce
    Inniss
    Famewo
    Purrington
    Souare
    Gunter
    Matthews
    Forster-Caskey
    Watson
    Blackett-Taylor
    Washington

I honestly wouldn't renew a single one. Perhaps Washington at a push. 

(Also, this large amount of contract expiries does make the talk of 'consistent squad' laughable, another rebuild is needed)
    Totally agree, Washington is thirty, I think he's worked his socks off, when fit, but he's now in the age bracket where those players cannot be considered to be the future of the club. A one year deal at best. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Loads have consistently bad for weeks.
    Right, but I was replying to a post  specifically about Famewo. He's one we're thankfully not stuck with at the end of the season
  • Options
    Just having a clear plan would be a good start... I dunno, maybe, scout some players the manager wants and let him build his side. 

The almost constant reference to Gallen as just the expert negotiator doesn't fill me with much confidence anymore, I know  he's never been involved in scouting before joining us, and hes done alright in the past, but at the time of shoe string budgets and embargoes, relying on his contacts was fine, but, maybe it's time to shake that up a little now.

And sorry Steve, but we need at least 10 in.
  • Options
    Just having a clear plan would be a good start... I dunno, maybe, scout some players the manager wants and let him build his side. 

The almost constant reference to Gallen as just the expert negotiator doesn't fill me with much confidence anymore, I know  he's never been involved in scouting before joining us, and hes done alright in the past, but at the time of shoe string budgets and embargoes, relying on his contacts was fine, but, maybe it's time to shake that up a little now.

Thought he was a scout at QPR?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

10 players! I guess you are not looking for any quality then. 
    The probability is that those 10 players will not be able to cost more on wages than currently we spend, and I would guess a budget of about £1.5m on top for either fees or wages.
    Maybe if we are lucky we maybe able to spend anything we make on sales like Kirk.

• Options
    Have we just been ‘spoilt’ in the recent past having Cullen & Bielik on loan, is the budget a bit tighter than it was before, ie can we not afford to get that calibre of loan, or they just don’t want to join us?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    We need a squad which means we are not massively weakened in key areas when we have injuries as we invariably are. I want goals in the midfield. I want another striker who knows where the goal is and is a handful to join Stockley, Washington and Aneke. I think that player should be Cole Stockton. Whether he is good enough for the next level I don't know, but he is good for our level.

I'd keep Gilbey as I think he is better than what we are seeing. Sadly, I think Morgan needs to go. I'd give up on Famewo too and try to get a player who is good in the air and undertsands the position. We may need to carry Innis and Aneke but I would keep them and hope we can get more out of them. I would even keep Lee as a squad player.

Whilst we have a great academy, any academy players that come in and impact have to be seen as a bonus and we need to build a squad assuming they won't.
  • Options
    Have we just been ‘spoilt’ in the recent past having Cullen & Bielik on loan, is the budget a bit tighter than it was before, ie can we not afford to get that calibre of loan, or they just don’t want to join us?
    Its the lottery of the loan market

Bet Lincoln and Shrewsbury fans are wondering where the next Brennan Johnson or Dean Henderson will be on loan from.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

The probability is that those 10 players will not be able to cost more on wages than currently we spend, and I would guess a budget of about £1.5m on top for either fees or wages.
    Maybe if we are lucky we maybe able to spend anything we make on sales like Kirk.

How many do you think we should be looking to sign if 10 is unrealistic?

6 loans plus Watson, Gunter and Souare is 9......
  • Options
    Sometimes the broken bits stop the working bits from working. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Makes me wonder how much we will have ended up paying Nigel off when he was sacked, and whether that would have impacted our January transfer & future summer transfer budget.

Maybe that was why Burstow was fattened up to flog off, recoup some losses.

Do people think Nigel will have got a lump sum, or paid off over x amount of months and years?

• Options
    Selling Burstow hasn't had an impact on this season.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

How many do you think we should be looking to sign if 10 is unrealistic?

6 loans plus Watson, Gunter and Souare is 9......
    Four quality first team players-
    Left sided CH (Jack Tucker)
    LS wing back
    Big CF.
    DMF

Re-sign Washington. Inniss.
    Maybe Famewo.

Unless a stunning loan is available I would rather our youth sides provided the players to cover the squad when needed.