Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    I think it is clear that TS is not going to finance a major overhaul of the squad. He is desperate to get out of that cycle.
    Unfortunately I believe a significant overhaul is needed again and we need a core of quality signings who are young and hungry and with a good fitness record.
    What I suspect will happen is a half-way house fudge.
    He also needs to clarify the managerial situation.
    I don’t think an overhaul is that healthy, look at Ipswich despite what they bought in they only just found any sort of consistency this month.  We’re not going to be able to recreate the overhaul of 11/12 realistically are we?

We need to clear out the deadwood and replace with quality hungry additions, I said 7/8, I can’t see and don’t think it should be anymore than that, the acquisitions however are key.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Like many  young talented players who join us on loan,  Famewo has degraded a bit but I still like him.

He is strong, quick and has a bit of grit. And he is our only central defender who isn't injured for much of the season.  He just needs an experienced head next to him who isn't paralytically slow.  

I can't see why Lavelle and Famewo would not work as a partnership or is Lavelle also left footed. ?
    He’s right footed. Just wish Famewo could learn to pass the ball. He’s decent carrying the ball forward. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    If we keep players who have consistently underperformed, we will consistently underperform. 

You can rationalise their retainment however you like. Stability, decent at this level, needs a decent partner, etc.. But that's the truth of it. 
    I don’t think anyone is advocating for consistent under-performers though.

I reckon 99% of CL want the folllwing gone;
    Watson, Gunter, Leko, Pearce.

Probably 80% of CL want the following gone;
    Matthews, Purrington, Lee.

The others up for debate are not consistently bad performers:
    Famewo, Washington CBT, Jaiyesimi.  

They may of been bad at times, but they’ve had decent games.  I think most of CL is on the same page with regards to transfers, it’s just when you write it down, it’s not as many as you think. 

• Options
    Famewo isn’t going to be worth the transfer fee he will cost IMO.

He’s a younger player that you’d hope to see improving over the 18 months he’s been here but if anything, he’s going backwards. I now have him down as no better than back-up calibre if we are serious about promotion.

We are going to have to be sensible, pick and choose where to spend money. If it came down to a choice between two options, I’d rather the club spends half a million on a top quality midfielder/forward and have a contracted Ben Purrington cover the left sided centre back position instead.
    I like Ben Purrington, possibly more than anyone else on this board does, but I'm really unconvinced by him as a left-sided CB. I get the logic and it should work but it just doesn't really. Purrington's an enigma. He looks like he's strong enough, slow, decent at one on one defending and not a lot else. Weirdly though he makes a good left back and scored more goals from wingback than our actual wingers do. He manages to ghost foward and spend more time in the box than Conor Washington and I genuinely can't explain to you how he got there. Then he looks a bit lost when he plays at centre back. I don't think playing on the left of a three is his future, he's just a left back.
    With Famewo, he's only 23 years old, which is still fairly young for a CB. If we can get him cheap then we'll have done well. He reminds me of a lower level Jon Fortune; physical attributes are good, ceiling seems high but can occasionally has games where he gets absolutely dominated and can't get the ball out from his feet at all. There's more to come from Famewo, and if we can get him on a deal that doesn't dent our budget too much that's great, because we'll be needing two left-sided CBs this summer, and we should be keeping Purrington as our back up LB.
  • Options
    I think it is clear that TS is not going to finance a major overhaul of the squad. He is desperate to get out of that cycle.
    Unfortunately I believe a significant overhaul is needed again and we need a core of quality signings who are young and hungry and with a good fitness record.
    What I suspect will happen is a half-way house fudge.
    He also needs to clarify the managerial situation.
    I don’t think an overhaul is that healthy, look at Ipswich despite what they bought in they only just found any sort of consistency this month.  We’re not going to be able to recreate the overhaul of 11/12 realistically are we?

We need to clear out the deadwood and replace with quality hungry additions, I said 7/8, I can’t see and don’t think it should be anymore than that, the acquisitions however are key.
    No and to expect to is unrealistic.  Its not something that happens very often anywhere.  No one at the club has the knowledge of other league 1 players that Powell did either.  He had very recently played with or against almost everyone we signed. 

Last season we should have got in the play offs despite 4 months of relegation form.  It's only with the additions of Chuks and Fraser that the squad is even comparable now.

I don't even think it's a case of we need a better x or y than a and b.  We need to add the things we lack, somehow.  I don't think it really matters where from.   We need:

Set piece delivery. 
    Leadership and drive. 
    Organisation at the back. 
    Someone to consistently drive us 30 yards up the pitch with the ball. 
    And goals. 

You could solve all of those things with 3 or 4 players but it's unlikely. 

• Options
    I would like a real overhaul, but I don't think that is going to happen sadly. I would focus on making the defense the strongest part of the team straight away and then we can move forward from there. If that means being defensive and hard to beat so be it.

I'd like us to get in players who are young and on the way up and focus on there character and ability. As someone said the other day on here, sell what Charlton is about to them. 

GK- Mac- Don't rate him as much as other keepers weve had, but hes good enough and hopefully he will improve on some aspects of his game. Seems a good guy too.
    GK- Maynard-Brewer- Back up and should keep Mac on his toes.

RB- New, Clare can be a back up in that role acting as a utility player.
    LB- New, New
    CB- Lavelle-Sort of players we should be signing. Seems a good guy and hasn't be given the chance to show what he can do. Innis can be a back up and I would tell him you are not part of my plans but you will get the chance if you show it in pre-season.
    CB- New, New

RM- New, Jaiyesimi- Same as Innis
    CM- Dobson- Player of The Year, Fraser, Gilbey- Same as Innis, New Defensive Midfielder, New Attacking Midfielder
    LM- New, Blackett-Taylor- Same as Innis

ST- Aneke
    ST- Stockley
    ST- Washington- I like the guy but same as Innis
    ST- New

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I'd like us too look at the ways in which the players prepare themselves for games and making sure they eat properly. We should be looking to be the fittest team in the league as your more likely to achieve things. Possibly looking to bring in extra fitness coaches, nutritionists and different training sessions and methods from abroad to freshen up.
  • Options
    I have lost so much faith that I am expecting a chaotic Summer. This I would say is a very important Summer for Sandgaard to show he has a grip of things.
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    I'd like us too look at the ways in which the players prepare themselves for games and making sure they eat properly. We should be looking to be the fittest team in the league as your more likely to achieve things. Possibly looking to bring in extra fitness coaches, nutritionists and different training sessions and methods from abroad to freshen up.
    I think this is key , the culture and mentality has got to change, if we have aspirations of improving , we need an overhaul in lots of areas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have a habit of bigging up anybody who comes to Charlton. I remember some usually wise posters declaring Famewo was the best defender in the league, as if a certain and pre decided fact. Not been mentioned much since.
  • Options
    Preseason is such a key time for bonding on and off the pitch , cock that up and your're always playing catch up.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ‘Inniss’. 
    He’s a top quality CB who could and would play at a higher lever without the fitness issue. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    If we keep players who have consistently underperformed, we will consistently underperform. 

You can rationalise their retainment however you like. Stability, decent at this level, needs a decent partner, etc.. But that's the truth of it. 
    I don’t think anyone is advocating for consistent under-performers though.

I reckon 99% of CL want the folllwing gone;
    Watson, Gunter, Leko, Pearce.

Probably 80% of CL want the following gone;
    Matthews, Purrington, Lee.

The others up for debate are not consistently bad performers:
    Famewo, Washington CBT, Jaiyesimi.  

They may of been bad at times, but they’ve had decent games.  I think most of CL is on the same page with regards to transfers, it’s just when you write it down, it’s not as many as you think. 

I think you'd be surprised by how many want to keep Matthews and Purrington.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    ‘Inniss’. 
    He’s a top quality CB who could and would play at a higher lever without the fitness issue. 
    and yet he still has it. Zero consistency in our line-up if he is a starter. Consistency is key with a good run. 
  • Options
    If we had any sense, pre-season starts now. We need to tie up who we want and decide on who we don't. We need to do our business early, both in and outs, and go from there. Will we? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    ‘Inniss’. 
    and yet he still has it. Zero consistency in our line-up if he is a starter. Consistency is key with a good run. 
    It really does have to be taken into consideration. CB pairings should be consistent throughout the season, it's not good to have a CB who cannot play Sat-Tue. It's disruptive.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We have a habit of bigging up anybody who comes to Charlton. I remember some usually wise posters declaring Famewo was the best defender in the league, as if a certain and pre decided fact. Not been mentioned much since.
    Last season I was told he was "without doubt" the best center back in the league and his absence was the only reason for our 4 month long spell of relegation form.

On another point there is something fundamentally wrong with how we prepare for matches.  I have no idea what it is.  The amount of times over the last 18 months we turn up looking leggie and without a clue who is doing what and when is unbelievable really.  It also seems to get worse the longer the manager has with the squad.

Bowyer and Adkins didn't give the players tactical instructions?  I still don't buy that.  How long before the same is leaked about Jackson? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    Last season I was told he was "without doubt" the best center back in the league and his absence was the only reason for our 4 month long spell of relegation form.

On another point there is something fundamentally wrong with how we prepare for matches.  I have no idea what it is.  The amount of times over the last 18 months we turn up looking leggie and without a clue who is doing what and when is unbelievable really.  It also seems to get worse the longer the manager has with the squad.

Bowyer and Adkins didn't give the players tactical instructions?  I still don't buy that.  How long before the same is leaked about Jackson? 
    As I mentioned do you think that could be a fitness issue? Things like Diet, Training Being A Low Tempo, Not Enough Running Done Over The Summer or During The Week.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

As I mentioned do you think that could be a fitness issue? Things like Diet, Training Being A Low Tempo, Not Enough Running Done Over The Summer or During The Week.
    I don't think you could accuse Bowyer of that? 

When you look at Bowyer, Adkins and Jackson (regardless of your personal feelings towards each of them) you can't doubt they are proper "football people" who have been in the game for a long time and worked with lots of different coach's, managers, players etc.

You can't doubt that they have the qualifications and experience to over see 3 or 4 days of training a week.  You might not agree with their team selections, tactics or management but all 3 of them to have, what is obvious to the untrained eye, the same issue suggests its something more fundamental. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

When look at Bowyer, Adkins and Jackson (regardless of your personal feelings towards each of them) you can't doubt they are proper "football people" who have been in the game for a long time and worked with lots of different coach's, managers, players etc.

You can't doubt that they have the qualifications and experience to over see 3 or 4 days of training a week.  You might not agree with their team selections, tactics or management but all 3 of them to have, what is obvious to the untrained eye, the same issue suggests its something more fundamental. 
    No I agree, they can clearly all take a training session. It was just very strange to see how unfit the players looked to me at the start of the season under Adkins. The chopping and changing didn't help with that because it can be harder to build up fitness as a player when you don't play of run of games in a row, but I've never seen us look so unfit and unprepared. I wonder if it's in terms of fitness standards being not enough for this day and age in football. I think we could do with extra staff and different ideas on fitness techniques as long as it can work for league one footballers and not just because it is done somewhere else and for the sake of it
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

When look at Bowyer, Adkins and Jackson (regardless of your personal feelings towards each of them) you can't doubt they are proper "football people" who have been in the game for a long time and worked with lots of different coach's, managers, players etc.

No I agree, they can clearly all take a training session. It was just very strange to see how unfit the players looked to me at the start of the season under Adkins. The chopping and changing didn't help with that because it can be harder to build up fitness as a player when you don't play of run of games in a row, but I've never seen us look so unfit and unprepared. I wonder if it's in terms of fitness standards being not enough for this day and age in football. I think we could do with extra staff and different ideas on fitness techniques as long as it can work for league one footballers and not just because it is done somewhere else and for the sake of it
    But they all became super fit in 48 hours after Adkins left, remarkable really.  So it obviously wasn't a fitness issue.  

I think the are they fit enough is a question we can't really answer but why do they go through phases where they appear to be, then phases when they look like they have been put on the piss the night before. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Famewo isn’t going to be worth the transfer fee he will cost IMO.

He’s a younger player that you’d hope to see improving over the 18 months he’s been here but if anything, he’s going backwards. I now have him down as no better than back-up calibre if we are serious about promotion.

We are going to have to be sensible, pick and choose where to spend money. If it came down to a choice between two options, I’d rather the club spends half a million on a top quality midfielder/forward and have a contracted Ben Purrington cover the left sided centre back position instead.
    Not sure about that last bit, especially after he was so exposed for the winner v. Wigan.
    If Famewo isn't good value for money (he's only back up quality really) I'd rather we invested in a top quality LCB and a youngster with potential from L2 or even non league if good enough (assuming we haven't got a good enough back up option in the U23s). It's an important position, and Pearce and Famewo won't be good enough next season if we're aiming for promotion.
    My reasoning is that Purrington is going to be here either way. He probably doesn’t quite fit the wing back role as well as we had hoped. 

He will he get beat in the air by top tier opposition more often than an Inniss or a Lavelle but he should have enough to cope with 75% of this league. On the other side of the coin, there is also Purrington’s ability to make forward/progressive runs into the opposition half. Of our current centre back crop, only Clare (who landed there mid season) and to a lesser extent Famewo can provide that today.

Those progressive moments up the pitch from the outside centre backs are crucial to the success of Jacko’s system and I think Purrington might be a better fit than some are giving credit.

We all agree that we need to sign a better first choice. We don’t need to be spending money on both a first choice AND a back-up.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Here’s what I’d want the team to look like in a 352 in August…

(new)
    Clare Lavelle (new)
    (new) Dobson (new)
    (new) Fraser
    Stockley (new)

Subs: Mac, (new)/Inniss if fit, Purrington, Gilbey, DJ/CBT, Washington, Chuks
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    ‘Inniss’. 
    I agree, but with Lavelle, Inniss and the likes of Ness coming through the ranks I’d argue it’s less a priority than other areas, like LCB and wing backs/full backs. Of course if money is no object…

On the fitness issue: is it possible they’re over trained, which can also make teams look leggy?
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    I would like a real overhaul, but I don't think that is going to happen sadly. I would focus on making the defense the strongest part of the team straight away and then we can move forward from there. If that means being defensive and hard to beat so be it.

I'd like us to get in players who are young and on the way up and focus on there character and ability. As someone said the other day on here, sell what Charlton is about to them. 

GK- Mac- Don't rate him as much as other keepers weve had, but hes good enough and hopefully he will improve on some aspects of his game. Seems a good guy too.
    GK- Maynard-Brewer- Back up and should keep Mac on his toes.

RB- New, Clare can be a back up in that role acting as a utility player.
    LB- New, New
    CB- Lavelle-Sort of players we should be signing. Seems a good guy and hasn't be given the chance to show what he can do. Innis can be a back up and I would tell him you are not part of my plans but you will get the chance if you show it in pre-season.
    CB- New, New

RM- New, Jaiyesimi- Same as Innis
    CM- Dobson- Player of The Year, Fraser, Gilbey- Same as Innis, New Defensive Midfielder, New Attacking Midfielder
    LM- New, Blackett-Taylor- Same as Innis

ST- Aneke
    ST- Stockley
    ST- Washington- I like the guy but same as Innis
    ST- New

I hope your new striker is going to be good .
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    ‘Inniss’. 
    I agree, but with Lavelle, Inniss and the likes of Ness coming through the ranks I’d argue it’s less a priority than other areas, like LCB and wing backs/full backs. Of course if money is no object…

On the fitness issue: is it possible they’re over trained, which can also make teams look leggy?
    I thought that under Bowyer, would explain the injuries as well but it happened under Adkins who has a more academic sports science type background as well.

I do find it, increasingly, hard to believe that Bowyer and Adkins got to the same location, via completely different routes.  They have nothing in common as people, back ground, experience etc.

This a wild accusation based on not a lot but I do think there must be a cultural issue, not from the management, that it's some how acceptable. 
  • Options
    How about the coaching staff develop players and a style of play they can buy into, spend sensible money on a couple of players. Get them fit in the summer. And have-a-go.
    Not keep throwing good money after bad. 
    Keep doing the same thing and expecting  different results i think  is defined as madness!!
  • Options
    Agreed that some current players are adequate as backup, but we need to make sure that they’re of a quality we’d be happy with in the starting xi if called upon.

For example, I actually like Purrington for his ghosting in and goals, as a backup LWB he’d be fine imo. Whereas Matthews I’ve only seen him as disinterested (regardless of how good of a cross he can put in) so would move him on. Either way we need starters at wing back as everyone knows.

MacG probably safer hands than AMB. Competition between them in preseason I guess will show. Not sure if we need a better GK, I suppose it depends who we can get in.

In defence beyond wingbacks…Clare I don’t think should be our designated starter at RCB. Inniss, as much as I love him, really can’t be relied on over a full season. Famewo has been disappointing. Pearce past it. Gunter a waste of a wage. So based on that I guess it’s only Lavelle that I’d be keen on keeping (in defence) for next year.

Dobson is straight into the team (my POTY). Clare I’d have as backup or utility CM. Fraser will hopefully be the attacker in midfield we need. We need a third of equal quality.

Lee I’d be happy to see move on; Gilbey I’d keep as backup as he looks good when he comes on as a sub. Morgan probably not good enough, I guess he’s shown some more consistency recently so could decide on his performances over the rest of the season. JFC is a complete enigma with his injury. Watson do I even need to say, get rid.

I have no idea what to do with the wingers. Is there any point keeping them to play them as wingbacks or strikers? Not in my opinion, unless we’re planning on having wingers as a potential plan B. DJ and CBT pretty equal, Leko disappointing.

Up top, Stockley we probably will want to see post-injury if he is still capable of being our star striker. Aneke we know has his limitations but worth keeping. Washington I really like, but I’m not convinced our top three front options should be those guys.

MacG
    New Lavelle New
    New Dobson New
    New Fraser
    Stockley New

subs: AMB, New CB, Purrington, Gilbey, Clare, Aneke, Washington

That would be 7 new players, with 6 as starters (one more if you don’t rate our keepers). That’s without any youth stepping up, and doesn’t include the likes of DJ or CBT. It would also mean binning off Inniss, Famewo, Lee and Morgan (maybe we could look to keep one of them if we really wanted) alongside the definite (for me) get rids of Pearce, Gunter, Matthews, Watson, Leko and Burstow. No idea on John and Castillo.

So it’s possible to think we need to revamp half the starting line up, whilst still thinking we only need around 7 signings to achieve that.

Now whether this will come close to happening is a whole other issue…!