Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

How in God's name can we have a summer plan when we don't even know who the manager will be ?

Jackson's position must be confirmed first or any recruitment is a complete waste of time and effort and we are back to chaos.

To be fair to Nigel Adkins, after a strong finish to last season he was evidently peeved by the signings to support his one up front system and didn't even select Clare or Dobson or Kirk. That was the start of the rot. 

My own theory (based on his press interviews) is that TS is very hands-on in recruitment and loves playing Football Manager for real. He is entitled to play of course because it's his money but we wont get anywhere while he does. 

Get a CEO. Confirm the manager. Agree a plan and budget. Brief Gallen. Execute it. 

It's not rocket science surely..
    What would this CEO do that TS and his son do not?
    The January window ran smoothly after the reshape and I do not see TS changing it all up again.
    TS will be making strategic decisions on moving the club forward and his son has the budget and decides on recruitment.
    I think that his sons role means that this job of CEO at the club just does not exist anymore, and having been let down before, TS is not about to pass on the decision making anyway.

A CEO would be full time, have decades of experience running football clubs, proven management experience in the weird ego- charged world of football and lots of contacts in the game. 

If TS junior is qualified to be head of a League 1 football club recruitment effort with all the complications of agents, personal relationships, club animosities, contracts, the medical/injury side etc.  TS might as well appoint Peter Varney as head of medical instrumentation sales for North America.

TS junior may be bright, highly-educated, competent, hard-working and good looking but he has zero track record in football clubs or football club recruitment 

It is no insult to him personally. I am sure he's a lot more capable and likeable than I am but at the end of the day this is Roland/ Katrien-style nepotism all over again.

Anyone else remember her deals with ridiculously long contracts offered to mediocre players at the last minute?

I am not suggesting recruitment is easy just that we have no chance of succeeding with no clarity about the manager, no plan as to how we want to play,  no certainty about budget and someone in charge with zero experience. 

Not saying he is qualified but Martin Sandgaard is “director of analysis” focussing on potential first team signings and future opponents. Gallen’s role hasn’t changed so he’ll deal with agents, contracts etc.

Don’t know who’s leading the medical side, I think it was Roddy and I doubt it’s Martin Sandgaard.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/
    Thanks. I did not know TS junior was Director of Analysis but it sort of reinforces the fear that this is a  shambles. 

What does that title even mean?

Is he honestly advising Jacko , Euell and Skivo, all lifelong pro footballers and qualified coaches, about the upcoming opposition or potential players ?

Farcical. 

At least Mowgli wasn't Roland's son though some suspected he might be. 
    If he’s not then he’s leading the team that do that. Unlike scouts perhaps analysts don’t tend to be former players. As far as I know Brett Shaw is still our head of performance analysis and I don’t believe he’s played or coached professionally.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf7762e7ba55/piece-by-set-piece-the-power-of-analysis
    Data analytics & data science require a completely different skillset that I'm not sure most ex-footballers would possess. I'm sure there's a few who could do it with some hard work and post-retirement studying but it's quite a field to get into..! How much data analysis Sandgaard Jr is actually doing (as opposed to leading a team of people doing it) is up for debate. I'm sure we'll never know.

Relying on the data analysts for the numbers and the traditional scouts (who are much more likely to be former players/coaches etc) for the eye test is probably the best way to move forward.
    And the best qualified person the club can find in sport data analytics and data science, is the boss's son?

And he just sits in a back room somewhere grinding our some algorithms as part of the support team?

And this is completely  different to when Mowgli (sorry can't remember his proper name and not trying to be insulting) was supplying data to Katrien Meere about players when he was ridiculed by all (including me) as using Football manager to select players and having too much influence? 

Not questioning your information or knowledge, just surprised everyone seems to acknowledge that something is not working (hence this thread) but it cant be anything to do with nice Mr Sandgaard because he saved the club and is a nice fella, when the evidence increasingly suggests the opposite. 

He's doing what Ged Roddy was doing in recruitment, which was bad, because reasons, but now it isn't so bad, because... reasons. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:
    The article with Mortimer is spot on. TS is starting to come across as a bloke obsessed with stats. The manager’s performance-related contract means we don’t actually know who will be in charge next season, so can’t plan for it. 
    That needs to be sorted now. Give JJ the assurance that his contract is locked in for two years. Then start planning.

And bin off this stupid stats based analysis of players. Do what Curbs did….sell them what Charlton is about so we have players who actually give a shit. If the temperament isn’t right, which it isn’t with so many of this squad, then that should be what stops us signing a player, not their pass completion rate. 

If we bumble along with stats and a manager who doesn’t know if he’ll be here next season, then we’re heading for a repeat of 21/22. 
    It's a gamble though. The problem with Jackson's reign so far is it can be split into two very distinct sections. It's all well and good for us to point out what Jackson's overall average is and that extrapolated over the season it would be play-off worthy, but it's not really an accurate representation. As caretaker he gave the team a lift and his record was P9 W6 D2 L1, which is insanely good. After being made permanent his record is P9 W3 D1 L5, which is pretty terrible. 20 points before and 10 points after. We're 14th, 9 points off the drop and 14 off the play-offs. We also look like a confused and sad team again, it's not just the results. We were really awful under Adkins this season for too long, and his record reads P13 W2 D 3 L8. Atrocious. Last season when he came in though it read P10 W5 D4 L1. That's 19 points last season and 9 points this one. Adkins did worse over a longer period this season, 4 more games, but we've got some tough games coming up that I don't feel too confident about. It wouldn't shock me if we lost 3 of the next 4, though who knows with this weird team.
    When you look at it like that I can see what Sandgaard's hesitation might be. This season is a disaster and part of that is, leaving aside the recruitment for now, Adkins had a brilliant start last season, we were all very positive (especally Adkins) and then we totally collapsed. I don't think Jacko's side is going the same way, and I really hope it isn't, but it's not looking massively dissimilar either. A common criticism of Sandgaard is that he left Adkins in post too long. What if we lose to Oxford, Sheff Wed and Sunderland across our next four games? Even if we beat MK Dons, which we're traditionally not too great at, that's P13 W4 D1 L8. 4 points more than Adkins when he got sacked; is that enough? Adkins came in and worked with what he had, Jackson has been given Aneke, Fraser and a couple of loans, he's been backed and if the result of that is a record that still looks a lot like Adkins' one then, well, do we blame the apparent lack of certainty about Jackson's contract? Do we say it's the players, send Adkins an apology basket and start over? We can't change all the players and we can't necessarily change the manager to fix it either. It's a really difficult situation and I'm not surprised Sandgaard is looking to use the time he has to think. Jackson looks like a man struggling with the pressures of management already and Thomas will be seriously worried about making the same mistake again that he made with Adkins, only this time with a first-time manager that I don't think he ever really wanted to appoint permanently anyway.
    This could all be for nothing, we might have Aneke and Washinton back next match, Fraser can properly come in and we'll look dangerous again, then Stockley might return in a month and suddenly we'll go on another run and look positive. We'll see at the end of the season though, I don't think that's the worst thing in the world. It's a football management job, Jackson's future is contingent on where we end up this season regardless of a clause, the clause just protects the finances.
    I think sometimes we over complicate problems. Under Bows we could not sustain performances with the injuries we had to defenders, and under JJ we cannot sustain performances with injuries to our main strikers.
    Personally I would keep Washington and sign a third big man up top as they are crucial both in attack and in defence and I don’t think we can rely on our current two not to be suspended or injured.
    In an ideal world you would also sign better than Washington, but I think that is unrealistic with other demands requiring the budget is spent elsewhere. 
    We had 4 months and a transfer window to sort that out.  For what ever reason we chose not to.

Adkins had injuries, illness and half fit arrivals as well.  Jackson has got, and has had, a better squad than the one Akins had for MOST, not all of this season.

Since Thomas showed his hand in trying to by the club we are on our third manager and the same thing has happened twice, it looks like it could happen again. 

Bowyer 1st 10 of last season

W7 D1 L2 22 points title winning firm

Adkins 1st 10

W5 D4 L1 16 points certainly play off form

Jackson 1st 10

W6 D2 L2 20 points title winning form

Combine this 3 and that's 90 points almost certain promotion.  Then.....

Bowyer
    W2 D4 L4 10 points
    Adkins
    W1 D3 L6 6 points
    Jackson
    W3 D1 L4 10 points (with 2 games to play).

Jackson could, obviously, win the next 2 games and that puts it to bed but extrapolate those 28 games over a season and it's 42 points, serious relegation form.

The rot, under Adkins finished when he was sacked but under Bowyer it carried on for another 11 games before he turned it around. 

Over the last 18 months we have either been in serious relegation form (39 game sample) or title winning form (30 games sample). 

Anyway 4 points from the next two games ends that argument. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    The article with Mortimer is spot on. TS is starting to come across as a bloke obsessed with stats. The manager’s performance-related contract means we don’t actually know who will be in charge next season, so can’t plan for it. 
    That needs to be sorted now. Give JJ the assurance that his contract is locked in for two years. Then start planning.

And bin off this stupid stats based analysis of players. Do what Curbs did….sell them what Charlton is about so we have players who actually give a shit. If the temperament isn’t right, which it isn’t with so many of this squad, then that should be what stops us signing a player, not their pass completion rate. 

If we bumble along with stats and a manager who doesn’t know if he’ll be here next season, then we’re heading for a repeat of 21/22. 
    We do JJ .. will be it’s the modern thing now all managers and players contracts are based on performance in fact I know a few normal business who use it in normal offices … 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

How in God's name can we have a summer plan when we don't even know who the manager will be ?

Jackson's position must be confirmed first or any recruitment is a complete waste of time and effort and we are back to chaos.

To be fair to Nigel Adkins, after a strong finish to last season he was evidently peeved by the signings to support his one up front system and didn't even select Clare or Dobson or Kirk. That was the start of the rot. 

My own theory (based on his press interviews) is that TS is very hands-on in recruitment and loves playing Football Manager for real. He is entitled to play of course because it's his money but we wont get anywhere while he does. 

Get a CEO. Confirm the manager. Agree a plan and budget. Brief Gallen. Execute it. 

The January window ran smoothly after the reshape and I do not see TS changing it all up again.
    TS will be making strategic decisions on moving the club forward and his son has the budget and decides on recruitment.
    I think that his sons role means that this job of CEO at the club just does not exist anymore, and having been let down before, TS is not about to pass on the decision making anyway.

A CEO would be full time, have decades of experience running football clubs, proven management experience in the weird ego- charged world of football and lots of contacts in the game. 

If TS junior is qualified to be head of a League 1 football club recruitment effort with all the complications of agents, personal relationships, club animosities, contracts, the medical/injury side etc.  TS might as well appoint Peter Varney as head of medical instrumentation sales for North America.

TS junior may be bright, highly-educated, competent, hard-working and good looking but he has zero track record in football clubs or football club recruitment 

It is no insult to him personally. I am sure he's a lot more capable and likeable than I am but at the end of the day this is Roland/ Katrien-style nepotism all over again.

Anyone else remember her deals with ridiculously long contracts offered to mediocre players at the last minute?

I am not suggesting recruitment is easy just that we have no chance of succeeding with no clarity about the manager, no plan as to how we want to play,  no certainty about budget and someone in charge with zero experience. 

Not saying he is qualified but Martin Sandgaard is “director of analysis” focussing on potential first team signings and future opponents. Gallen’s role hasn’t changed so he’ll deal with agents, contracts etc.

Don’t know who’s leading the medical side, I think it was Roddy and I doubt it’s Martin Sandgaard.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/
    Thanks. I did not know TS junior was Director of Analysis but it sort of reinforces the fear that this is a  shambles. 

Is he honestly advising Jacko , Euell and Skivo, all lifelong pro footballers and qualified coaches, about the upcoming opposition or potential players ?

Farcical. 

If he’s not then he’s leading the team that do that. Unlike scouts perhaps analysts don’t tend to be former players. As far as I know Brett Shaw is still our head of performance analysis and I don’t believe he’s played or coached professionally.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf7762e7ba55/piece-by-set-piece-the-power-of-analysis
    Data analytics & data science require a completely different skillset that I'm not sure most ex-footballers would possess. I'm sure there's a few who could do it with some hard work and post-retirement studying but it's quite a field to get into..! How much data analysis Sandgaard Jr is actually doing (as opposed to leading a team of people doing it) is up for debate. I'm sure we'll never know.

Relying on the data analysts for the numbers and the traditional scouts (who are much more likely to be former players/coaches etc) for the eye test is probably the best way to move forward.
    And the best qualified person the club can find in sport data analytics and data science, is the boss's son?

And he just sits in a back room somewhere grinding our some algorithms as part of the support team?

And this is completely  different to when Mowgli (sorry can't remember his proper name and not trying to be insulting) was supplying data to Katrien Meere about players when he was ridiculed by all (including me) as using Football manager to select players and having too much influence? 

Not questioning your information or knowledge, just surprised everyone seems to acknowledge that something is not working (hence this thread) but it cant be anything to do with nice Mr Sandgaard because he saved the club and is a nice fella, when the evidence increasingly suggests the opposite. 

He's doing what Ged Roddy was doing in recruitment, which was bad, but now isn't so bad. Because. Reasons. 
    So one unqualified person takes over from another unqualified person and the result is we sign a player that was here for 2 years up until 6 months ago and a player we have tried to sign in 3 of the last 4 transfer windows.  Oh and two kids that are in whitness protection.

Lets wait before we pass judgment.  50% of last January's business was very good as well. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

Farcical. 

He's doing what Ged Roddy was doing in recruitment, which was bad, but now isn't so bad. Because. Reasons. 
    So one unqualified person takes over from another unqualified person and the result is we sign a player that was here for 2 years up until 6 months ago and a player we have tried to sign in 3 of the last 4 transfer windows.  Oh and two kids that are in whitness protection.

Lets wait before we pass judgment.  50% of last January's business was very good as well. 

I'm not. Quite the opposite actually. Just makes me chuckle how the data team went from the worst thing in recruitment to not so bad, because.... The guy's name at the top went from ending in Roddy to Sandgaard. 

I doubt Ged was responsible for signing all the shit players, in the same way i doubt Sandy jr is solely responsible for signing:

A top league one forward we had for two years prior.
    A midfielder considered one of the league's best playmakers
    An England youth international put forward by s former player/manager
    A youth prospect from a club that sent us 3 youth prospects before.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    People inc JFC in their sides for next season, if he can’t play the last six or seven games this season to prove his fitness then no way he should get a contract renewal. He’s not that good anyway just that people are including him cause he’s better than our other options but doesn’t mean he is the answer.
    I get the scepticism around JFC surrounding his injury, but I don’t get the “he’s not that good” part, he was our POTY when we came 7th on goal difference, we could do with him recovering before the end of the season and getting some minutes in before pre season starts.  
    He was also runner up in POTY when we came 6th.  He was also very injury prone the 2nd season, in the championship, after he did his ACL last time.  A 2020/21 JFC would be a massive asset a 2019/20 one would be a liability.

Speaking of which he did his ACL in August last time and was back before the end of the season, he did it in April this time. Where is he? 
    Having done both my ACLs there are additional injuries that can occur when rupturing them that can cause delays in recovery.

First one I did had it reconstructed within a few weeks and then was back playing football 7 months later. Second one (other knee) messed up my cartilage and also broke the knee cap, played football again for a few months about a year later but had to stop. had another two surgeries on it since and still couldn't turn on the pitch without pain and instability. Retired at 22 and not played since, luckily it wasn't my profession!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Redrobo said:
    Valley11 said:

It's a gamble though. The problem with Jackson's reign so far is it can be split into two very distinct sections. It's all well and good for us to point out what Jackson's overall average is and that extrapolated over the season it would be play-off worthy, but it's not really an accurate representation. As caretaker he gave the team a lift and his record was P9 W6 D2 L1, which is insanely good. After being made permanent his record is P9 W3 D1 L5, which is pretty terrible. 20 points before and 10 points after. We're 14th, 9 points off the drop and 14 off the play-offs. We also look like a confused and sad team again, it's not just the results. We were really awful under Adkins this season for too long, and his record reads P13 W2 D 3 L8. Atrocious. Last season when he came in though it read P10 W5 D4 L1. That's 19 points last season and 9 points this one. Adkins did worse over a longer period this season, 4 more games, but we've got some tough games coming up that I don't feel too confident about. It wouldn't shock me if we lost 3 of the next 4, though who knows with this weird team.
    When you look at it like that I can see what Sandgaard's hesitation might be. This season is a disaster and part of that is, leaving aside the recruitment for now, Adkins had a brilliant start last season, we were all very positive (especally Adkins) and then we totally collapsed. I don't think Jacko's side is going the same way, and I really hope it isn't, but it's not looking massively dissimilar either. A common criticism of Sandgaard is that he left Adkins in post too long. What if we lose to Oxford, Sheff Wed and Sunderland across our next four games? Even if we beat MK Dons, which we're traditionally not too great at, that's P13 W4 D1 L8. 4 points more than Adkins when he got sacked; is that enough? Adkins came in and worked with what he had, Jackson has been given Aneke, Fraser and a couple of loans, he's been backed and if the result of that is a record that still looks a lot like Adkins' one then, well, do we blame the apparent lack of certainty about Jackson's contract? Do we say it's the players, send Adkins an apology basket and start over? We can't change all the players and we can't necessarily change the manager to fix it either. It's a really difficult situation and I'm not surprised Sandgaard is looking to use the time he has to think. Jackson looks like a man struggling with the pressures of management already and Thomas will be seriously worried about making the same mistake again that he made with Adkins, only this time with a first-time manager that I don't think he ever really wanted to appoint permanently anyway.
    This could all be for nothing, we might have Aneke and Washinton back next match, Fraser can properly come in and we'll look dangerous again, then Stockley might return in a month and suddenly we'll go on another run and look positive. We'll see at the end of the season though, I don't think that's the worst thing in the world. It's a football management job, Jackson's future is contingent on where we end up this season regardless of a clause, the clause just protects the finances.
    I think sometimes we over complicate problems. Under Bows we could not sustain performances with the injuries we had to defenders, and under JJ we cannot sustain performances with injuries to our main strikers.
    Personally I would keep Washington and sign a third big man up top as they are crucial both in attack and in defence and I don’t think we can rely on our current two not to be suspended or injured.
    In an ideal world you would also sign better than Washington, but I think that is unrealistic with other demands requiring the budget is spent elsewhere. 
    One thing he’s really good at is chasing and retrieving the ball in tight areas (like near the corner flag) and recycling it. He’ll chase down overhit passes (he gets plenty of practice to be fair) and will always be a major nuisance to defenders. I’d keep him for that alone. 
    Sign him up for another 2 years, l think he’s earnt it, unlike unnamed others, always tries his best.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

Farcical. 

I'm not. Quite the opposite actually. Just makes me chuckle how the data team went from the worst thing in recruitment to not so bad, because.... The guy's name at the top went from ending in Roddy to Sandgaard. 

I doubt Ged was responsible for signing all the shit players, in the same way i doubt Sandy jr is solely responsible for signing:

A top league one forward we had for two years prior.
    A midfielder considered one of the league's best playmakers
    An England youth international put forward by s former player/manager
    A youth prospect from a club that sent us 3 youth prospects before.

Yup but on the flip side the ones that probably were signed, at least in part, to data and an extension of the scouting network are the ones that have been at least decent.  It's the others that has been the problem. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    It’s a tough one.  You could argue that all out of contract players and loans are released/not signed permanently.  I like Inniss, think we look better with him in the team, but are we always going to have to ‘manage his minutes’?

Washington works very hard and I don’t think he’s a bad player, but is he someone that will get us the required goals to get up?

Gunter, Watson, Souare, I think everyone will agree have done their time.

I’m inclined to put Matthews in the same bucket.

The players of contention I would imagine are Purrington, Morgan & Pearce of those who are contracted to us.  If Pearce stays, it has to be coaching only.  Morgan I wouldn’t lose sleep over but I know a few of you still believe ‘there’s a player in there’.  Similar to Purrington.  He’s okay, I know he operates to the best of his abilities most games, but we probably need better.  

Of the loans, no to all for me.  By that I mean senior players we may look to sign (Lee, Leko & Famewo), not the 2 youngsters 

Another thing I think worth pointing out, a lot of the time we talk of being only 2/3 off challenging for a play off place.  Why don’t we think of how many we’re off challenging for the automatics?  Then I think we can see how inadequately we stack up.

I don’t know if TS and the recruitment set up have got it in them to bring in 6/7 quality players, but that’s what we’ll need.

Mac is okay in goal, I don’t really see the need to replace him.  If we continue with a back 3, based on the above that’s Lavelle, Inniss & Clare, possibly Elewere.  We’re short at both full back positions.

There’s only 2 midfielders I think can be part of a promotion winning team that hold the central position, that’s Dobson and Fraser.  Gilbey must become a fringe player at the most if we’re to get out this league.  I don’t fancy DJ or CBT in terms of quality and consistency.

Of the front 3 I’ve already covered Washington.  Not sure how bad Stockley’s injury is.  Do we just write him off for this season in the hope the prolonged break does him good?  Aneke can score goals at this level, but again, questions over fitness and I am not sure he and Stockley are the most natural partners.  

I just can’t see it all coming together currently 
    It all depends on what your asking them to do.  Would Purrington and Matthews, for example, have got in Powell's team?

Of course not, would we have still got promoted if they were 2nd choice to Solly and Wiggins.  Almost certainly.

Is Washington the Yann or BWP for next season, no.  Is he capable of more or equal to Hayes, Clarke, Euell and Benson?

Would we have won the league of Pearce was 4th choice with Taylor, Morrison and Court?

Its a waste of time, and money, signing "back ups".

The real problem is we are worse without Washington, Gilbey, Innis and Aneke and they are all either injury prone or not good enough to be "indispensable". 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    It’s a tough one.  You could argue that all out of contract players and loans are released/not signed permanently.  I like Inniss, think we look better with him in the team, but are we always going to have to ‘manage his minutes’?

Washington works very hard and I don’t think he’s a bad player, but is he someone that will get us the required goals to get up?

The players of contention I would imagine are Purrington, Morgan & Pearce of those who are contracted to us.  If Pearce stays, it has to be coaching only.  Morgan I wouldn’t lose sleep over but I know a few of you still believe ‘there’s a player in there’.  Similar to Purrington.  He’s okay, I know he operates to the best of his abilities most games, but we probably need better.  

Of the loans, no to all for me.  By that I mean senior players we may look to sign (Lee, Leko & Famewo), not the 2 youngsters 

Another thing I think worth pointing out, a lot of the time we talk of being only 2/3 off challenging for a play off place.  Why don’t we think of how many we’re off challenging for the automatics?  Then I think we can see how inadequately we stack up.

I don’t know if TS and the recruitment set up have got it in them to bring in 6/7 quality players, but that’s what we’ll need.

Mac is okay in goal, I don’t really see the need to replace him.  If we continue with a back 3, based on the above that’s Lavelle, Inniss & Clare, possibly Elewere.  We’re short at both full back positions.

There’s only 2 midfielders I think can be part of a promotion winning team that hold the central position, that’s Dobson and Fraser.  Gilbey must become a fringe player at the most if we’re to get out this league.  I don’t fancy DJ or CBT in terms of quality and consistency.

Of the front 3 I’ve already covered Washington.  Not sure how bad Stockley’s injury is.  Do we just write him off for this season in the hope the prolonged break does him good?  Aneke can score goals at this level, but again, questions over fitness and I am not sure he and Stockley are the most natural partners.  

It all depends on what your asking them to do.  Would Purrington and Matthews, for example, have got in Powell's team?

Of course not, would we have still got promoted if they were 2nd choice to Solly and Wiggins.  Almost certainly.

Is Washington the Yann or BWP for next season, no.  Is he capable of more or equal to Hayes, Clarke, Euell and Benson?

Would we have won the league of Pearce was 4th choice with Taylor, Morrison and Court?

The real problem is we are worse without Washington, Gilbey, Innis and Aneke and they are all either injury prone or not good enough to be "indispensable". 

Yup.  I am just not confident we’re going to go out and look for/acquire better than the likes of Famewo next season.  Got this horrible feeling Lee and Famewo will both get a deal, which means we’ll see a similar squad to what we have now which we know isn’t good enough. 

You could argue we’re underachieving and this lot can be slightly higher, but we’re talking by a few places, not top 6.  League table doesn’t lie after 32 games 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Yup.  I am just not confident we’re going to go out and look for/acquire better than the likes of Famewo next season.  Got this horrible feeling Lee and Famewo will both get a deal, which means we’ll see a similar squad to what we have now which we know isn’t good enough. 

You could argue we’re underachieving and this lot can be slightly higher, but we’re talking by a few places, not top 6.  League table doesn’t lie after 32 games 
    Got no problems with either joining .. it’s a squad game and both these are very good players at this level .. if the player we just failed to get in the last window is anything to go by then our targets are very exiting 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Got no problems with either joining .. it’s a squad game and both these are very good players at this level .. if the player we just failed to get in the last window is anything to go by then our targets are very exiting 
    Are you going to expand or just leave it there to give the impression that you know?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

It won't be very exciting if we just fail to get them all will it
  • Options
    cabbles said:

A point that doesn't matter all that much, but Castillo is nine months younger than Leko. Leko just feels older than 22 because he made his senior debut at like 16. I wouldn't keep Leko, but I do think it's worth pointing out that Leko, Famewo, and Castillo are all around the same age. 

I worry about Stockley. I have sciatica, which doesn't sound like it's the exact problem he has, but it is a pinched nerve in the spine. And some days I can barely move my leg. And there's no real treatment. Now, for Stockley, it sounds like his hip pain is caused by a pinched nerve from two slipped discs. There is a surgery for slipped discs, and according to Google the recovery time is about eight weeks (make of that what you will). So I wonder if, if he does need surgery, would it make more sense to do it now? That way he'd presumably be back for pre-season. 

Full disclosure, I am not a doctor, and I do not know the latest on Stockley's injury. And I know he's back out on grass. I just worry that this is something that could nag him unless it's fixed properly.  
  • Options
    Can someone analyse the promoted sides from league 1 over the past 10 years and come up with a plan that resembles these promoted teams.  Surely there will be a pattern, style, characteristics - of players (and manager and coaches) that we can use to build from.  'Plan for the summer' - haven't we been doing this for over 100 years - have we learnt nothing.   

This is not just about getting promoted next season - it's about building a Championship ready team that will do more than just survive there.  

I know we are in a very competitive market and every team in league one will have the same objective - it's not easy - takes skill, experience, personality and a bit of luck to assemble a winning team.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Famewo isn’t going to be worth the transfer fee he will cost IMO.

He’s a younger player that you’d hope to see improving over the 18 months he’s been here but if anything, he’s going backwards. I now have him down as no better than back-up calibre if we are serious about promotion.

We are going to have to be sensible, pick and choose where to spend money. If it came down to a choice between two options, I’d rather the club spends half a million on a top quality midfielder/forward and have a contracted Ben Purrington cover the left sided centre back position instead.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Lot of hate for Famewo.  I think we should sign him up.

Hes still young, I agree he’s not been great this season, but he’s also dealt with regular changes of CB partner(s) which doesn’t help, we might also sign someone better than him and he would be a brilliant back up LCB.  

We’ve massively underachieved and underperformed as a whole this season, many are guilty by association, some I reckon would look good elsewhere (de-charltonisation) and we’ve seen that many times.  It wouldn’t be the end of the world if he goes but I’d personally snap him up on a 2 year deal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hes still young, I agree he’s not been great this season, but he’s also dealt with regular changes of CB partner(s) which doesn’t help, we might also sign someone better than him and he would be a brilliant back up LCB.  

We’ve massively underachieving and underperformed as a whole this season, many are guilty by association, but some I reckon would look good elsewhere (de-charltonisation) and we’ve seen that many times.  It wouldn’t be the end of the world if he goes but I’d personally snap him up on a 2 year deal.
    What if Famewo costs half a million? For me he hasn’t been good enough for us to not look into whether there are better options out there. A left sided Clare would improve our playing out from the back and keeping possession, a style both JJ and TS want to see.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

We’ve massively underachieving and underperformed as a whole this season, many are guilty by association, but some I reckon would look good elsewhere (de-charltonisation) and we’ve seen that many times.  It wouldn’t be the end of the world if he goes but I’d personally snap him up on a 2 year deal.
    What if Famewo costs half a million? For me he hasn’t been good enough for us to not look into whether there are better options out there. A left sided Clare would improve our playing out from the back and keeping possession, a style both JJ and TS want to see.
    Of course not, I’ve no idea what he’d cost, how long, if anything, does he have left on his contract?  
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Famewo isn’t going to be worth the transfer fee he will cost IMO.

He’s a younger player that you’d hope to see improving over the 18 months he’s been here but if anything, he’s going backwards. I now have him down as no better than back-up calibre if we are serious about promotion.

We are going to have to be sensible, pick and choose where to spend money. If it came down to a choice between two options, I’d rather the club spends half a million on a top quality midfielder/forward and have a contracted Ben Purrington cover the left sided centre back position instead.
    Not sure about that last bit, especially after he was so exposed for the winner v. Wigan.
    If Famewo isn't good value for money (he's only back up quality really) I'd rather we invested in a top quality LCB and a youngster with potential from L2 or even non league if good enough (assuming we haven't got a good enough back up option in the U23s). It's an important position, and Pearce and Famewo won't be good enough next season if we're aiming for promotion.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Of course not, I’ve no idea what he’d cost, how long, if anything, does he have left on his contract?  
    We have an option to sign him permanently so I assume he’s contracted to Norwich for at least another year and we’ve agreed a fee.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

We have an option to sign him permanently so I assume he’s contracted to Norwich for at least another year and we’ve agreed a fee.
    Makes sense I guess.  I just think it’s a bit trigger happy letting him go personally, many will disagree of course.  This season has been a disaster on so many levels but I could see Famewo alongside a decent commanding CB doing well at this level.
  • Options
    Like many  young talented players who join us on loan,  Famewo has degraded a bit but I still like him.

He is strong, quick and has a bit of grit. And he is our only central defender who isn't injured for much of the season.  He just needs an experienced head next to him who isn't paralytically slow.  

I can't see why Lavelle and Famewo would not work as a partnership or is Lavelle also left footed. ?

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Makes sense I guess.  I just think it’s a bit trigger happy letting him go personally, many will disagree of course.  This season has been a disaster on so many levels but I could see Famewo alongside a decent commanding CB doing well at this level.
    He’s too young to write off, I just hope we consider other options. It might turn out he offers the best value we can afford at LCB.
  • Options
    Like many  young talented players who join us on loan,  Famewo has degraded a bit but I still like him.

He is strong, quick and has a bit of grit. And he is our only central defender who isn't injured for much of the season.  He just needs an experienced head next to him who isn't paralytically slow.  

I can't see why Lavelle and Famewo would not work as a partnership or is Lavelle also left footed. ?

I like the sound of..

Lavelle, Innis (or new CB), Famewo

Its all about the the wings backs if this is to work, we have no natural wing backs IMO in the entire squad and that’s contributed to this season’s catastrophe.  They’re the ones who have to show for the centre backs as much anyone if we wanna play out from the back.
  • Options
    I also think another important factor is the feeling of a refreshed and new team.  Psychologically, if we mouch on to finish even 10th picking up a few more wins against the poorer sides and still get beat a few times turning in the type of performance we know we can against Bolton or whoever, there’s going to be very little excitement (for me anyway), seeing the likes of Lee get a deal or Gilbey still part of the first team.  

I was hungover after last season and how it didn’t work out, and then you see Pearce, JFC, Matthews all sign new deals, Watson’s contract extended etc.  I worry it will be the same this summer, and we’ll probably all be on here this time next year saying we need another clear out 😂
  • Options
    I think it is clear that TS is not going to finance a major overhaul of the squad. He is desperate to get out of that cycle.
    Unfortunately I believe a significant overhaul is needed again and we need a core of quality signings who are young and hungry and with a good fitness record.
    What I suspect will happen is a half-way house fudge.
    He also needs to clarify the managerial situation.