Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    Decent signings last summer:

Stockley
    Dobson

Poor signings last summer: 

MacGillivray
    Roddy
    Kirk
    Blackett-Taylor
    Souare
    Henderson
    Famewo (loan)
    Arter (loan)
    Leko (loan)

In between:

Clare
    Lavelle
    Lee (loan)

Doesn't really scream quality recruitment team. 
    Harsh on Clare, very harsh on MacG.  And Lavelle looked good until injury.
    MacG is a good stopper, but a good keeper commands his box and cuts out crosses. Or some at least. If I thought the coaches were going to improve that aspect of his game I’d keep him, but otherwise, I’m not so sure. 
    Clare is a bit of a mystery. I’d be surprised if he’s in JJ’s plans as a long term CB, so could he play RB or RWB? I know he’d like to play in midfield, but isn’t proven in that position. Or could he be backup for Dobson?
    Lavelle I really liked before the injury, and should be our long term option at RCB, perhaps alongside Inniss and a good LCB. 
  • Options
    I still do not get the strategic criticism. Our recruitment has not been perfect, but it has generally been pretty good and the squad we have should be doing considerably better than it is, if it was managed properly.
    Take Burton, who are a point ahead of us. Given a free choice between our two first teams, I doubt that there is a more than a couple of players that their manager would pick in a combined team.
    The team was built for 433 and is now being shoe-horned into 532, which is fine, but will take more than one transfer window to achieve.
    The squad has been hamstrung by injuries - there really aren't many squads at this level that would survive the loss of their best player (JFC) and top scorer (Stockley), no-one has the money to build deep squads.
    But fundamentally, stability has been brought to the club: everyone knows that they are going to get paid each month and they can be pretty sure that the club will spend about as much as anyone to build the squad. We have bought pretty well and have the players, but the manager has not been able to get a consistent performance out of them. So the problem is one of management.
    That said, I do think that JJ will learn and will have a bright future, so I hope we will stick with him.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We keep hearing from Gallen, Sandgaard etc. that it's about consistency now and not having to sign 10+ players each year. Sadly I think that's the exact opposite of what we need. If we start off the summer by re-signing the likes of Matthews, Pearce, etc. it's going to be just another horrible season. 
    Based on the preferred 352 with two players in each position:

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

CBT - harsh but where does he fit in?  One of him or Jaiyesimi has to go.
    Purrington - also slightly harsh but we have to move on if we’re opting for wing backs.
    All others not mentioned - sorry, not sorry.

The slots highlighted as “(new)” are vital acquisitions to make it work, particularly the wing back positions.  

We also need a bit of luck, as bad as we’ve been our injuries are just so frustrating and unlucky in most cases.  Take JFC for example, Lavelle never been injured until he signs for us, Stockley rarely injured until now etc.

You’ll laugh, but I don’t think we’re far off, I just hope it all gets assembled quicker than last summer.
    This
  • Options
    I still do not get the strategic criticism. Our recruitment has not been perfect, but it has generally been pretty good and the squad we have should be doing considerably better than it is, if it was managed properly.

This comes down to a difference of opinion/ perspective I suppose.  Many will think we have the tools/ players and they are under performing and/ or manager(s) not getting the consistent best out of them.

Others will see it that the players we have recruited are not good enough either ability/ mental/ physical- wise to compete consistently at the top end of this table.

I'm increasingly in the latter camp based on what I've seen of them the past couple of seasons.  Matthews looked one of the best players in the entire Championship when we were there but has been nowhere near than since.  Pearce was a stalwart and still gives his all but his age has probably meant it's now limited.

Famewo looked immense when he came in but now looks a shell of himself and 20% of the time the ball is near him looks a liability.

Kirk for whatever reason(s) didn't look like a professional footballer in a Charlton shirt. 

Innis and Aneke, colossal footballers who would be the spine of a promotion winning side - but cannot unfortunately seem to stay injury free so you lose the massive advantage of consistency starting 11.

Arter was a waste of a squad place and appeared a desperate roll of the dice and bar one great cross v Ipswich Soare didn't cut it.

Not to say that Adkins and (maybe) Jackson weren't the right people and aren't part of the problem (although Jacko did it for 13 games which disproves that) but I just don't think we have brought in good enough players who are consistently fit enough to see us compete at the top end of the league compared to our rivals in that respect.

• Options
    Take Burton, who are a point ahead of us. Given a free choice between our two first teams, I doubt that there is a more than a couple of players that their manager would pick in a combined team.
    The team was built for 433 and is now being shoe-horned into 532, which is fine, but will take more than one transfer window to achieve.
    The squad has been hamstrung by injuries - there really aren't many squads at this level that would survive the loss of their best player (JFC) and top scorer (Stockley), no-one has the money to build deep squads.
    But fundamentally, stability has been brought to the club: everyone knows that they are going to get paid each month and they can be pretty sure that the club will spend about as much as anyone to build the squad. We have bought pretty well and have the players, but the manager has not been able to get a consistent performance out of them. So the problem is one of management.
    That said, I do think that JJ will learn and will have a bright future, so I hope we will stick with him.
    We knew before a ball was kicked this season that JFC wouldn't figure, an influential midfielder, yet we didn't recruit someone for that job. Only at the end of the window a panic signing that always looked dubious because of the players last 2 clubs track record.

Stockley our main striker again went in to the season without proper cover. 

We have a deep squad compared to other league 1 clubs but it isn't balanced correctly.

What we didn't achieve or even see the the ramifications of in our recruiting was the components of the squad. It was an accident waiting to happen. As per the previous season when we fell lack of  Centre Backs.

I see the fundamental problem recruiting and lack of foresight by those involved.  The problem might be management but not team management in my opinion.     
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

How in God's name can we have a summer plan when we don't even know who the manager will be ?

Jackson's position must be confirmed first or any recruitment is a complete waste of time and effort and we are back to chaos.

To be fair to Nigel Adkins, after a strong finish to last season he was evidently peeved by the signings to support his one up front system and didn't even select Clare or Dobson or Kirk. That was the start of the rot. 

My own theory (based on his press interviews) is that TS is very hands-on in recruitment and loves playing Football Manager for real. He is entitled to play of course because it's his money but we wont get anywhere while he does. 

Get a CEO. Confirm the manager. Agree a plan and budget. Brief Gallen. Execute it. 

It's not rocket science surely..
    What would this CEO do that TS and his son do not?
    The January window ran smoothly after the reshape and I do not see TS changing it all up again.
    TS will be making strategic decisions on moving the club forward and his son has the budget and decides on recruitment.
    I think that his sons role means that this job of CEO at the club just does not exist anymore, and having been let down before, TS is not about to pass on the decision making anyway.

A CEO would be full time, have decades of experience running football clubs, proven management experience in the weird ego- charged world of football and lots of contacts in the game. 

If TS junior is qualified to be head of a League 1 football club recruitment effort with all the complications of agents, personal relationships, club animosities, contracts, the medical/injury side etc.  TS might as well appoint Peter Varney as head of medical instrumentation sales for North America.

TS junior may be bright, highly-educated, competent, hard-working and good looking but he has zero track record in football clubs or football club recruitment 

It is no insult to him personally. I am sure he's a lot more capable and likeable than I am but at the end of the day this is Roland/ Katrien-style nepotism all over again.

Anyone else remember her deals with ridiculously long contracts offered to mediocre players at the last minute?

I am not suggesting recruitment is easy just that we have no chance of succeeding with no clarity about the manager, no plan as to how we want to play,  no certainty about budget and someone in charge with zero experience. 

Not saying he is qualified but Martin Sandgaard is “director of analysis” focussing on potential first team signings and future opponents. Gallen’s role hasn’t changed so he’ll deal with agents, contracts etc.

Don’t know who’s leading the medical side, I think it was Roddy and I doubt it’s Martin Sandgaard.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/
    Thanks. I did not know TS junior was Director of Analysis but it sort of reinforces the fear that this is a  shambles. 

What does that title even mean?

Is he honestly advising Jacko , Euell and Skivo, all lifelong pro footballers and qualified coaches, about the upcoming opposition or potential players ?

Farcical. 

At least Mowgli wasn't Roland's son though some suspected he might be. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

How in God's name can we have a summer plan when we don't even know who the manager will be ?

Jackson's position must be confirmed first or any recruitment is a complete waste of time and effort and we are back to chaos.

To be fair to Nigel Adkins, after a strong finish to last season he was evidently peeved by the signings to support his one up front system and didn't even select Clare or Dobson or Kirk. That was the start of the rot. 

My own theory (based on his press interviews) is that TS is very hands-on in recruitment and loves playing Football Manager for real. He is entitled to play of course because it's his money but we wont get anywhere while he does. 

Get a CEO. Confirm the manager. Agree a plan and budget. Brief Gallen. Execute it. 

The January window ran smoothly after the reshape and I do not see TS changing it all up again.
    TS will be making strategic decisions on moving the club forward and his son has the budget and decides on recruitment.
    I think that his sons role means that this job of CEO at the club just does not exist anymore, and having been let down before, TS is not about to pass on the decision making anyway.

A CEO would be full time, have decades of experience running football clubs, proven management experience in the weird ego- charged world of football and lots of contacts in the game. 

If TS junior is qualified to be head of a League 1 football club recruitment effort with all the complications of agents, personal relationships, club animosities, contracts, the medical/injury side etc.  TS might as well appoint Peter Varney as head of medical instrumentation sales for North America.

TS junior may be bright, highly-educated, competent, hard-working and good looking but he has zero track record in football clubs or football club recruitment 

It is no insult to him personally. I am sure he's a lot more capable and likeable than I am but at the end of the day this is Roland/ Katrien-style nepotism all over again.

Anyone else remember her deals with ridiculously long contracts offered to mediocre players at the last minute?

I am not suggesting recruitment is easy just that we have no chance of succeeding with no clarity about the manager, no plan as to how we want to play,  no certainty about budget and someone in charge with zero experience. 

Not saying he is qualified but Martin Sandgaard is “director of analysis” focussing on potential first team signings and future opponents. Gallen’s role hasn’t changed so he’ll deal with agents, contracts etc.

Don’t know who’s leading the medical side, I think it was Roddy and I doubt it’s Martin Sandgaard.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/
    Thanks. I did not know TS junior was Director of Analysis but it sort of reinforces the fear that this is a  shambles. 

Is he honestly advising Jacko , Euell and Skivo, all lifelong pro footballers and qualified coaches, about the upcoming opposition or potential players ?

Farcical. 

If he’s not then he’s leading the team that do that. Unlike scouts perhaps analysts don’t tend to be former players. As far as I know Brett Shaw is still our head of performance analysis and I don’t believe he’s played or coached professionally.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf7762e7ba55/piece-by-set-piece-the-power-of-analysis
  • Options

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

Purrington - also slightly harsh but we have to move on if we’re opting for wing backs.

The slots highlighted as “(new)” are vital acquisitions to make it work, particularly the wing back positions.  

We also need a bit of luck, as bad as we’ve been our injuries are just so frustrating and unlucky in most cases.  Take JFC for example, Lavelle never been injured until he signs for us, Stockley rarely injured until now etc.

You’ll laugh, but I don’t think we’re far off, I just hope it all gets assembled quicker than last summer.
    Noticed a couple are struggling with this, not in a sarcastic way but in the sense that just because I only think we need 7 players means we’re effectively keeping the same team, we’re not, see the XI I’d wanna see opening day:

MacG
    (new), Innis, (new)
    Dobson
    (new), Fraser, JFC, (new)
    Stockley, (new)

• Options
    That's a very pessimistic grouping...

I'd have Clare, Lavelle and Blackett-Taylor in the decent group (relative to expectations) with Stockley and Dobson. MacG, Henderson, Famewo can join Lee in the in between group - I wouldn't be desperate to have any of them here next year but they'd be good enough as squad players.

Leaves a poor group of Kirk, Souare, Arter and Leko. The two older heads were panic signings after missing out on other targets. Kirk is a good player and no-one could've really foreseen how badly he would have it here, it just didn't work out and Leko played well enough in his first spell.

Putting Roddy anywhere on the list is not right IMO.
    He was our single left back signing entering the season with no left back. 

This judgement is based on our aims of winning promotion. Not whether they suit our team, the mid-table League One side we are. The recruitment team failed last summer.
    I would be happy with Clare, Lavelle, Blackett-Taylor, Dobson, Stockley, Famewo, MacG, Henderson, Lee in an eighteen man squad that challenges for promotion next season (obviously not both keepers, I'm talking individuals rather than as a group). The first five I would like to see here next season, the next four I'm not fussed whether they stay or go but they would be decent options off the bench.

Re: Roddy, he still doesn't deserve to be on that list. We should have signed a left back sooner, you are right. Souare was done at the deadline in a panic and has not worked out.
    They wouldn't challenge. They've shown that this season. 

Next season is going to be even more difficult with the Championship sides coming down. 
    Barnsley and Peterborough? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022

I'd have Clare, Lavelle and Blackett-Taylor in the decent group (relative to expectations) with Stockley and Dobson. MacG, Henderson, Famewo can join Lee in the in between group - I wouldn't be desperate to have any of them here next year but they'd be good enough as squad players.

Leaves a poor group of Kirk, Souare, Arter and Leko. The two older heads were panic signings after missing out on other targets. Kirk is a good player and no-one could've really foreseen how badly he would have it here, it just didn't work out and Leko played well enough in his first spell.

This judgement is based on our aims of winning promotion. Not whether they suit our team, the mid-table League One side we are. The recruitment team failed last summer.
    I would be happy with Clare, Lavelle, Blackett-Taylor, Dobson, Stockley, Famewo, MacG, Henderson, Lee in an eighteen man squad that challenges for promotion next season (obviously not both keepers, I'm talking individuals rather than as a group). The first five I would like to see here next season, the next four I'm not fussed whether they stay or go but they would be decent options off the bench.

Re: Roddy, he still doesn't deserve to be on that list. We should have signed a left back sooner, you are right. Souare was done at the deadline in a panic and has not worked out.

Next season is going to be even more difficult with the Championship sides coming down. 
    They are all more than adequate as part of a promotion chasing squad. Getting rid of everyone apart from two or three players is not reasonable nor realistic.

We need 6-8 players coming in who will each play 30+ games to compliment the squad pieces we already have. These 6-8 will replace the likes of Gunter, Watson, Matthews, Soaure, one of the keepers, etc.

Three Championship sides come down every season. That's how relegation works.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

Farcical. 

As far as I can tell he's responsible for putting together the data on players and then presenting it to Gallen and the coaching staff so they can decide if the player's right and enter negotiations. Not exactly farcical so much as using data to identify players, which plenty of teams have been doing for years and years and years.
  • Options

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

Noticed a couple are struggling with this, not in a sarcastic way but in the sense that just because I only think we need 7 players means we’re effectively keeping the same team, we’re not, see the XI I’d wanna see opening day:

MacG
    (new), Innis, (new)
    Dobson
    (new), Fraser, JFC, (new)
    Stockley, (new)

I'm close to this too. Although I'd like to see a new goalkeeper with Mac/Hendo on the bench. Maybe that's AMB after his season in Scotland.

I'd also rather keep Purrington as the left sided back-up over spending money on Famewo. Either way I agree we need someone better as first choice.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

Farcical. 

If he’s not then he’s leading the team that do that. Unlike scouts perhaps analysts don’t tend to be former players. As far as I know Brett Shaw is still our head of performance analysis and I don’t believe he’s played or coached professionally.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf7762e7ba55/piece-by-set-piece-the-power-of-analysis
    Data analytics & data science require a completely different skillset that I'm not sure most ex-footballers would possess. I'm sure there's a few who could do it with some hard work and post-retirement studying but it's quite a field to get into..! How much data analysis Sandgaard Jr is actually doing (as opposed to leading a team of people doing it) is up for debate. I'm sure we'll never know.

Relying on the data analysts for the numbers and the traditional scouts (who are much more likely to be former players/coaches etc) for the eye test is probably the best way to move forward.
  • Options
    What I’m struggling to get my head around is, if we’re going to have another big overhaul this pre season, why does anyone think we are in a good position to get the potential best players, or at least good enough ones to get us promoted. Unless TS is going to offer crazy contracts, which is probably fair to assume he won’t. As I see it we are falling further down the pecking order of attractiveness as a club, if we are going to try and do early business theres going to have to be some seriously good selling to be done because at the moment quite a lot of clubs offering at least an equal deal are looking a better option. I’m wondering how long the lure of playing at the valley in front of us fans, which I’m guessing by the end of this season could quite easily be far less due to the piss poor season we’ve had, be the reason to join us. Im quite concerned our shitter  of a season is doing more harm than we realise going forward. All this being said, it’s just some thoughts, concerns that may or may not have any relevance to next season.
    Are we as attractive a club as we once were, even in league1?
    Is JJ thought highly enough to convince players of sufficient quality to come to us?
    im not one to be over dramatic, but it really has been so disappointing this season.
  • Options
    Jaden Brown?

Left wing back who done well against us on the opening day. He’s from Lewisham but not played loads for Sheffield Wednesday this season. Was very highly thought of at Tottenham.

At 23, think he could be a realistic target for that position in the summer. He’s quick and good on the ball. Would be happy with a signing like that.
  • Options
    People inc JFC in their sides for next season, if he can’t play the last six or seven games this season to prove his fitness then no way he should get a contract renewal. He’s not that good anyway just that people are including him cause he’s better than our other options but doesn’t mean he is the answer.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:

Farcical. 

Data analytics & data science require a completely different skillset that I'm not sure most ex-footballers would possess. I'm sure there's a few who could do it with some hard work and post-retirement studying but it's quite a field to get into..! How much data analysis Sandgaard Jr is actually doing (as opposed to leading a team of people doing it) is up for debate. I'm sure we'll never know.

Relying on the data analysts for the numbers and the traditional scouts (who are much more likely to be former players/coaches etc) for the eye test is probably the best way to move forward.
    And the best qualified person the club can find in sport data analytics and data science, is the boss's son?

And he just sits in a back room somewhere grinding our some algorithms as part of the support team?

And this is completely  different to when Mowgli (sorry can't remember his proper name and not trying to be insulting) was supplying data to Katrien Meere about players when he was ridiculed by all (including me) as using Football manager to select players and having too much influence? 

Not questioning your information or knowledge, just surprised everyone seems to acknowledge that something is not working (hence this thread) but it cant be anything to do with nice Mr Sandgaard because he saved the club and is a nice fella, when the evidence increasingly suggests the opposite. 

• Options
    People inc JFC in their sides for next season, if he can’t play the last six or seven games this season to prove his fitness then no way he should get a contract renewal. He’s not that good anyway just that people are including him cause he’s better than our other options but doesn’t mean he is the answer.
    I get the scepticism around JFC surrounding his injury, but I don’t get the “he’s not that good” part, he was our POTY when we came 7th on goal difference, we could do with him recovering before the end of the season and getting some minutes in before pre season starts.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I get the scepticism around JFC surrounding his injury, but I don’t get the “he’s not that good” part, he was our POTY when we came 7th on goal difference, we could do with him recovering before the end of the season and getting some minutes in before pre season starts.  
    Wouldn’t he be vying with Fraser for the left sided midfield role? Can’t see them both starting, but it would make sense to have cover in that position. 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Wouldn’t he be vying with Fraser for the left sided midfield role? Can’t see them both starting, but it would make sense to have cover in that position. 

Possibly yes, although it’s not beyond realms to have two left footed CMs.  
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    The article with Mortimer is spot on. TS is starting to come across as a bloke obsessed with stats. The manager’s performance-related contract means we don’t actually know who will be in charge next season, so can’t plan for it. 
    That needs to be sorted now. Give JJ the assurance that his contract is locked in for two years. Then start planning.

And bin off this stupid stats based analysis of players. Do what Curbs did….sell them what Charlton is about so we have players who actually give a shit. If the temperament isn’t right, which it isn’t with so many of this squad, then that should be what stops us signing a player, not their pass completion rate. 

If we bumble along with stats and a manager who doesn’t know if he’ll be here next season, then we’re heading for a repeat of 21/22. 
    Agree TS needs to make a decision about JJs contract rather than decide in May.

On signings we use stats alongside traditional scouting and looking into the players character. Recruitment hasn’t been good enough but it won’t be solved just by stopping the use of analytics. Not relying on it too much is important for course but there’s plenty of value to be had if a club can get it right.

Even non-league clubs use data analysis. It’s here to stay whoever owns us and whatever level we’re playing at. If there’s problem with it it’ll be that other clubs are using it more effectively than us.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/aug/13/hiring-a-dozen-analysts-at-hereford-is-a-first-but-data-is-not-just-for-big-clubs

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/eye-test-data-cal-roberts-5446630

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/how-lincoln-city-s-revolutionary-approach-to-video-analysis-took-them-to-the-top-of-the-league-and-on-the-verge-of-fa-cup-history-a7586026.html
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    The article with Mortimer is spot on. TS is starting to come across as a bloke obsessed with stats. The manager’s performance-related contract means we don’t actually know who will be in charge next season, so can’t plan for it. 
    That needs to be sorted now. Give JJ the assurance that his contract is locked in for two years. Then start planning.

And bin off this stupid stats based analysis of players. Do what Curbs did….sell them what Charlton is about so we have players who actually give a shit. If the temperament isn’t right, which it isn’t with so many of this squad, then that should be what stops us signing a player, not their pass completion rate. 

If we bumble along with stats and a manager who doesn’t know if he’ll be here next season, then we’re heading for a repeat of 21/22. 
    Agree TS needs to make a decision about JJs contract rather than decide in May.

On signings we use stats alongside traditional scouting and looking into the players character. Recruitment hasn’t been good enough but it won’t be solved just by stopping the use of analytics. Not relying on it too much is important for course but there’s plenty of value to be had if a club can get it right.

Even non-league clubs use data analysis. It’s here to stay whoever owns us and whatever level we’re playing at. If there’s problem with it it’ll be that other clubs are using it more effectively than us.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/aug/13/hiring-a-dozen-analysts-at-hereford-is-a-first-but-data-is-not-just-for-big-clubs

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/eye-test-data-cal-roberts-5446630

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/how-lincoln-city-s-revolutionary-approach-to-video-analysis-took-them-to-the-top-of-the-league-and-on-the-verge-of-fa-cup-history-a7586026.html
    Yes, agree they can be used as part of the recruitment plan. I’m sure stats played a role in Curbs’ day too.  But it feels like the club is being run on data alone at the moment. TS has the best intentions, I don’t doubt that. 
    But there is a disconnect which comes from the way he runs businesses being applied to the way a successful football team should be managed. Having his son as a data specialist just feels off for a start. And giving JJ a crappy performance-related contract only adds to it. The businessman is right to do that after the disappointment of Adkins. But in a football reality, all it’s served to do is make Jacko feel less appreciated and potential new signings unsure who’ll be at the wheel next season. 

This uncertainty or applying business concepts to football while TS learns the ropes of running a British club is what we’re seeing on the pitch atm. It permeates throughout the club imo. 
  • Options

Barnsley and Peterborough? 
    Both are a bit like Rotherham, both know how to do well at this level
  • Options
    He was also runner up in POTY when we came 6th.  He was also very injury prone the 2nd season, in the championship, after he did his ACL last time.  A 2020/21 JFC would be a massive asset a 2019/20 one would be a liability.

Speaking of which he did his ACL in August last time and was back before the end of the season, he did it in April this time. Where is he? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

It's a gamble though. The problem with Jackson's reign so far is it can be split into two very distinct sections. It's all well and good for us to point out what Jackson's overall average is and that extrapolated over the season it would be play-off worthy, but it's not really an accurate representation. As caretaker he gave the team a lift and his record was P9 W6 D2 L1, which is insanely good. After being made permanent his record is P9 W3 D1 L5, which is pretty terrible. 20 points before and 10 points after. We're 14th, 9 points off the drop and 14 off the play-offs. We also look like a confused and sad team again, it's not just the results. We were really awful under Adkins this season for too long, and his record reads P13 W2 D 3 L8. Atrocious. Last season when he came in though it read P10 W5 D4 L1. That's 19 points last season and 9 points this one. Adkins did worse over a longer period this season, 4 more games, but we've got some tough games coming up that I don't feel too confident about. It wouldn't shock me if we lost 3 of the next 4, though who knows with this weird team.
    When you look at it like that I can see what Sandgaard's hesitation might be. This season is a disaster and part of that is, leaving aside the recruitment for now, Adkins had a brilliant start last season, we were all very positive (especally Adkins) and then we totally collapsed. I don't think Jacko's side is going the same way, and I really hope it isn't, but it's not looking massively dissimilar either. A common criticism of Sandgaard is that he left Adkins in post too long. What if we lose to Oxford, Sheff Wed and Sunderland across our next four games? Even if we beat MK Dons, which we're traditionally not too great at, that's P13 W4 D1 L8. 4 points more than Adkins when he got sacked; is that enough? Adkins came in and worked with what he had, Jackson has been given Aneke, Fraser and a couple of loans, he's been backed and if the result of that is a record that still looks a lot like Adkins' one then, well, do we blame the apparent lack of certainty about Jackson's contract? Do we say it's the players, send Adkins an apology basket and start over? We can't change all the players and we can't necessarily change the manager to fix it either. It's a really difficult situation and I'm not surprised Sandgaard is looking to use the time he has to think. Jackson looks like a man struggling with the pressures of management already and Thomas will be seriously worried about making the same mistake again that he made with Adkins, only this time with a first-time manager that I don't think he ever really wanted to appoint permanently anyway.
    This could all be for nothing, we might have Aneke and Washinton back next match, Fraser can properly come in and we'll look dangerous again, then Stockley might return in a month and suddenly we'll go on another run and look positive. We'll see at the end of the season though, I don't think that's the worst thing in the world. It's a football management job, Jackson's future is contingent on where we end up this season regardless of a clause, the clause just protects the finances.
  • Options
    This all depends on Jackson's position. 
  • Options
    We cannot go into another season with a significant core of injury prone players.  In that bucket I put JFC and Innis but also doubts over Stockley, Aneke and Matthews.  

Two, max 3 of the above is ok and Stockley and Aneke are contracted so them plus maybe Innis but no way do you then add back JFC and Matthews or we just rinse and repeat the last 2 years.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

It's a gamble though. The problem with Jackson's reign so far is it can be split into two very distinct sections. It's all well and good for us to point out what Jackson's overall average is and that extrapolated over the season it would be play-off worthy, but it's not really an accurate representation. As caretaker he gave the team a lift and his record was P9 W6 D2 L1, which is insanely good. After being made permanent his record is P9 W3 D1 L5, which is pretty terrible. 20 points before and 10 points after. We're 14th, 9 points off the drop and 14 off the play-offs. We also look like a confused and sad team again, it's not just the results. We were really awful under Adkins this season for too long, and his record reads P13 W2 D 3 L8. Atrocious. Last season when he came in though it read P10 W5 D4 L1. That's 19 points last season and 9 points this one. Adkins did worse over a longer period this season, 4 more games, but we've got some tough games coming up that I don't feel too confident about. It wouldn't shock me if we lost 3 of the next 4, though who knows with this weird team.
    When you look at it like that I can see what Sandgaard's hesitation might be. This season is a disaster and part of that is, leaving aside the recruitment for now, Adkins had a brilliant start last season, we were all very positive (especally Adkins) and then we totally collapsed. I don't think Jacko's side is going the same way, and I really hope it isn't, but it's not looking massively dissimilar either. A common criticism of Sandgaard is that he left Adkins in post too long. What if we lose to Oxford, Sheff Wed and Sunderland across our next four games? Even if we beat MK Dons, which we're traditionally not too great at, that's P13 W4 D1 L8. 4 points more than Adkins when he got sacked; is that enough? Adkins came in and worked with what he had, Jackson has been given Aneke, Fraser and a couple of loans, he's been backed and if the result of that is a record that still looks a lot like Adkins' one then, well, do we blame the apparent lack of certainty about Jackson's contract? Do we say it's the players, send Adkins an apology basket and start over? We can't change all the players and we can't necessarily change the manager to fix it either. It's a really difficult situation and I'm not surprised Sandgaard is looking to use the time he has to think. Jackson looks like a man struggling with the pressures of management already and Thomas will be seriously worried about making the same mistake again that he made with Adkins, only this time with a first-time manager that I don't think he ever really wanted to appoint permanently anyway.
    This could all be for nothing, we might have Aneke and Washinton back next match, Fraser can properly come in and we'll look dangerous again, then Stockley might return in a month and suddenly we'll go on another run and look positive. We'll see at the end of the season though, I don't think that's the worst thing in the world. It's a football management job, Jackson's future is contingent on where we end up this season regardless of a clause, the clause just protects the finances.
    I think sometimes we over complicate problems. Under Bows we could not sustain performances with the injuries we had to defenders, and under JJ we cannot sustain performances with injuries to our main strikers.
    Personally I would keep Washington and sign a third big man up top as they are crucial both in attack and in defence and I don’t think we can rely on our current two not to be suspended or injured.
    In an ideal world you would also sign better than Washington, but I think that is unrealistic with other demands requiring the budget is spent elsewhere.