Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    Not signing injury prone players would be a start, but we also want players can’t do rye business week in week week out, not just when they fancy it or the suns shining the right way, where do we get those sort of players from?
    Good players who are consistent & never get injured? I think you get those sorts of players from the Premier League and they cost about £50M each! 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Agree with most of the other comments above. We need a radical change in our recruitment policy  please no more injury prone players, or players at the tail end of their careers.
    Start talking early to players and agents and get things sorted early.
    Lastly please do not play any players that would mean it triggers a contract extension.
    And I would use the rest of this season to start a few youngsters to see how they cope and if they can step up next season
    I think your right blood some youngsters, (who are signed up on long term contracts) and see if they can cut it in the first team.
  • Options
    current first team squad keep: mac, lavelle, famewo, innis, clare, gilby, dobson, fraser, chucks, washington, stockley - replace the rest  
  • Options
    Famewo from last season yes, this seasons no. We really are missing a Michael Morrison sort of character at the back, our defence is so soft. 
    Agreed. We look way to soft even with Ryan Innis. Need to find a new Darren Pratley for the squad next season. Someone who can play in these tough away games and not be intimidated after the home team and crowd build up some momentum in a game.
  • Options
    For a starting 11, in a dream world based on the Powell promotion shake up I would have:
    NEW GK (maybe AMB), NEW RWB, Lavelle, Inniss (if fit, wishful thinking), NEW LCB, NEW LWB, Dobson, NEW RCM, Fraser, NEW ST, NEW ST

Squad options:
    Harness/AMB, DJ, Clare, Deji, NEW CB, NEW LCB, CBT, JFC(?)/New Dobson Backup, Gilbey, Morgan, New Fraser Backup x2 out of Chuks, Stockley, Washington

Youth options to bed in/use as needed:
    Bakrin, Ness, Chin, Henry, Adigun, Campbell, Kanu

I know deep down that it's very unlikely we won't start with at least one of Chuks/Stockley, but if we're playing a pressing game, I'm not sure I would start either, as harsh at it seems. I'll keep dreaming of two extra-mobile, top-of-league 1 strikers like a chump.
  • Options
    As much as I'd like to burn it all I don't think a massive clear-out is the answer. That way means you're always having to rely on a massively successful transfer window to get anywhere, and that can be impossible to carry out regardless of how early you start your planning and how much you're willing to spend. In Kirk we signed the player who had the most chance involvement in the whole division last season and it just didn't work out for him with us. We should be letting the elderly expiring contracts go but what's the point in doing another mass exodus when we're just going to have to replace those players with other L1 players who might not work out.
    At the moment we have a decent keeper and one out on loan who should be able to challenge him. We're struggling in the RWB positions and we could do with a very good purchase at CB. I think Lavelle, Inniss and a very good LCB, with Clare to cover for Inniss where necessary is fine, and then Deji and another to replace Pearce. We need a decent LWB as well, and it's worth renewing Purrington as backup, because it will cost a hell of a lot more to get in another reserve LWB than it will be just to add a few more years onto Purrington's deal, and he's plenty good enough to be a back-up LWB at this level. From there we really need to make sure we construct a midfield that can interact well with attacking WBs and add some control and drive. Dobson needs a contract extension, and Fraser will hopefully add a lot to our play. The other centre mid position from there is essential. Gilbey Gilbeys too much and we don't know what JFC will come back looking like. I've always felt he's too slow at Championship level though, and he'll hardly be faster now, so he's not the long-term solution. We need a dynamic, intelligent leader in the middle who can get around the pitch and support Dobson's pressing off the ball as well as attacks on it. With Aneke, Stockley and Washington (assuming he extends) we've got three very good strikers for this level, and if we can add a bit of pace with a fourth striker there won't be many better frontlines than that. Stockley and Aneke can rotate, assuming Stockley is fixable, and we should be able to choose between pace and workrate between Washington and another.
    We look too thin after that though. Clare, Albie, CBT, Gilbey, they're not inspiring backups and the main thing we've learned this season is if we're missing the core group we're a mess. So essentials are a RWB and LWB who are capable of attacking as wingers but also dropping into fullback roles on turnovers, a quality LCB, a commanding CM and a striker with pace. Matthews will do as a backup RWB considering how much else we have to get done, and we'll need to get in backups at CB, CM and holding mid so we're not entirely reliant on Dobson forever. That's a lot of work, and that's why we can't just have a clear out; I hate this squad too, but if we grit our teeth over their spinelessness a bit we can start to get in really top players in key positions rather than having to compromise because we need to sign an entire squad all over again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Which is the  complete opposite of this season where we started the season without a fit left back & only on deadline did we managed to fill it (with a player who'd been out with a long term injury & has since left the club).
    I'm having a brain fade, but who is this player that has left the club?
    Think he means Soare, if he hadn’t left he may have well have done.
  • Options
    I am hoping this is a blessing, because the reality is since we came back to league one we have only spent about 3 weeks in the top 6, that's really nowhere near good enough
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Based on the preferred 352 with two players in each position:

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

CBT - harsh but where does he fit in?  One of him or Jaiyesimi has to go.
    Purrington - also slightly harsh but we have to move on if we’re opting for wing backs.
    All others not mentioned - sorry, not sorry.

The slots highlighted as “(new)” are vital acquisitions to make it work, particularly the wing back positions.  

We also need a bit of luck, as bad as we’ve been our injuries are just so frustrating and unlucky in most cases.  Take JFC for example, Lavelle never been injured until he signs for us, Stockley rarely injured until now etc.

You’ll laugh, but I don’t think we’re far off, I just hope it all gets assembled quicker than last summer.
    Famewo I’m not sure on. Really depends how much Norwich want, I wouldn’t be spending too much of our finite budget on him.
    Definitely need to see what else is out there before signing Famewo. Young players on the way up at smaller clubs, older players in need of game time, Prem u23s on loan etc.
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    1. Sign players who want to be here and Jacko wants.
    2. Focus on character and ability first. Not data.
    3. Keep the squad to a decent size but not too big and not too small, so you have backup but equally make it hard for fringe players to get in.
    4. Tap into youth when needed and at the right time.
    5. Get the players in to have a proper pre season, not when the season has started.
    6. Signing players from abroad is fine and welcome as long as they are signed with proper research and are deemed at least to be up to the standard, understand the club and the league.
    7. Keep it simple. Manager runs the football side of things and that's it. You can't complicate things in lower leagues with commitees imo. But in general everytime we have  overcomplicated things on the football structure we have flopped badly. At Charlton we do things simply best.
    8. Make sure the players are super fit. If that means some training sessions being just running before the balls are bought out, Italian style so be it.

9. Forgot to add if we miss out on a target. Move onto the next one and so on. Don't wait and complain after.
  • Options
    Before we draw up a shopping list I think we should promote some of the youth players into the squad into the areas that JJ thinks we are weak and see how they do. That should identify what players can step up as squad players next season. If (say) Chin can hack it as a right wing back we can move Clair there and jettison Mathews and Gunter and do not replace.
    Burstow is not one of our players now and I would like to see Kanu on the bench now to see if he can be cover up top. With Stockley always heading for suspension and also a worrying injury plus Chucks, I would like another big striker in the squad rather than Washington and a new guy to cover him.
    We are now in the perfect situation to do this and also try different formations.
    Really hoping we don’t waste the opportunity. TS should announce that JJ will definitely be the manager next season and let him get on with it. He was not my first choice, but yet another change would be counterproductive.
  • Options
    We do have the basis of a good core squad imo but there are too many playing that for whatever reason are not cutting it in terms of being a promotion squad.

I would let the following go.

Gunter  ( not good enough )
    Matthews  ( not a wing back )
    Leko   ( luxury player )
    Lee     ( like him but lightweight )
    Morgan ( had enough chances )
    Soare ( if still here )
    Mac ( not commanding enough )

The above I just dont think are good enough for various reasons and if we can bring replacements in to add to the core of starters I'm sure we would get promoted no problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Players with contracts ending at the end of the season: 

Henderson
    Pearce
    Inniss
    Famewo
    Purrington
    Souare
    Gunter
    Matthews
    Forster-Caskey
    Watson
    Blackett-Taylor
    Washington

I honestly wouldn't renew a single one. Perhaps Washington at a push. 

(Also, this large amount of contract expiries does make the talk of 'consistent squad' laughable, another rebuild is needed)
    Blackett-Taylor signed a two year deal - What about Inniss as a Squad player?
  • Options
    I think you need a core of players that will play 30+ games a season guarenteed. We can't have our best CB out for long periods of time every season. 
  • Options
    The best bargains are always available at the end of the transfer window. Don't make any signings until then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Players with contracts ending at the end of the season: 

Henderson
    Pearce
    Inniss
    Famewo
    Purrington
    Souare
    Gunter
    Matthews
    Forster-Caskey
    Watson
    Blackett-Taylor
    Washington

I honestly wouldn't renew a single one. Perhaps Washington at a push. 

(Also, this large amount of contract expiries does make the talk of 'consistent squad' laughable, another rebuild is needed)
    Blackett-Taylor signed a two year deal - What about Inniss as a Squad player?
    Let Inniss go.
    I've had enough now, past few seasons signing players that we have to carry.
    Chucks on an 8 year contract , I ain't saying these players are no good but in signing them you really then have to have cover for them.
    Stockley injured so that leaves us with Washington,  Burstow and Chucks , chucks cant start every game meaning it's got to be the other 2 up front.
    From this moment on , all I want is for us not to sign players that aren't injury prone or have trouble starting 2 games in a week.
  • Options
    I though CBT had signed a longer deal?
  • Options
    One thing's for sure, we need a new culture in the dressing room and that starts with a new captain.
  • Options
    I though CBT had signed a longer deal?
    Yeah he had.
  • Options
    Not many of these players look like they have the ability to step up to the championship, which is why we're mid table 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The plan needs to involve the best free players (in the positions we need covering) available joining us on the 1st July, rather than the likes of Ipswich and Wigan
    I don’t think it works like this unfortunately. The timeline is really controlled by the players & clubs further up the food chain. The clubs further up the leagues are able to go out and get their first choice players early on, the further down the leagues have much less control over who is available and when. I think us Charlton fans might have a slightly false impression over his much you can’t really put in place to have your key transfer targets join you at the very start of the window because we had that one amazing window under Powell, I’m beginning to think that was the exception rather than the rule.
    you pay the money you can get the best.
  • Options
    Plan?
    June- " Can't do any business until contracts expire at end of month"
    July - " Waiting for players to return from holiday"
    August - " We have a budget and agents/players are trying to take this piss"
    Deadline Day - "We've been chasing these two Muppets for 2 years. They were 7th  on our wish list"
    Who needs Golfie when you've got me  ;)
    Whilst people are giving this post lol's I suspect based on our last two, possibly three transfer windows it is close to the truth. Anybody who thinks staff at the club responsible for recruitment are drawing up wish lists for next summer are living in dreamland.

Our manager who is employed by the club does not even know if he will be here to pick the said players people think are being identified.

• Options
    Plan?
    June- " Can't do any business until contracts expire at end of month"
    July - " Waiting for players to return from holiday"
    August - " We have a budget and agents/players are trying to take this piss"
    Deadline Day - "We've been chasing these two Muppets for 2 years. They were 7th  on our wish list"
    Who needs Golfie when you've got me  ;)
    Whilst people are giving this post lol's I suspect based on our last two, possibly three transfer windows it is close to the truth. Anybody who thinks staff at the club responsible for recruitment are drawing up wish lists for next summer are living in dreamland.

Our manager who is employed by the club does not even know if he will be here to pick the said players people think are being identified.

Are you saying they don’t put together a list of targets? I expecf they’ll have a wish list but the problem is more about either aiming too high or underestimating the budget required.
  • Options
    I read the heading and was going to post that i have booked a house for me and the Mrs in Turks and Caicos for 2 weeks, will meet up with my B-I-L over there and my kids will join us for a week or so each.  Quite looking forward to it.  Now I see it’s about CAFC having a plan, so I wont bother saying that