Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    That's a very pessimistic grouping...

I'd have Clare, Lavelle and Blackett-Taylor in the decent group (relative to expectations) with Stockley and Dobson. MacG, Henderson, Famewo can join Lee in the in between group - I wouldn't be desperate to have any of them here next year but they'd be good enough as squad players.

Leaves a poor group of Kirk, Souare, Arter and Leko. The two older heads were panic signings after missing out on other targets. Kirk is a good player and no-one could've really foreseen how badly he would have it here, it just didn't work out and Leko played well enough in his first spell.

Putting Roddy anywhere on the list is not right IMO.
    He was our single left back signing entering the season with no left back. 

This judgement is based on our aims of winning promotion. Not whether they suit our team, the mid-table League One side we are. The recruitment team failed last summer.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Based on the preferred 352 with two players in each position:

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

CBT - harsh but where does he fit in?  One of him or Jaiyesimi has to go.
    Purrington - also slightly harsh but we have to move on if we’re opting for wing backs.
    All others not mentioned - sorry, not sorry.

The slots highlighted as “(new)” are vital acquisitions to make it work, particularly the wing back positions.  

We also need a bit of luck, as bad as we’ve been our injuries are just so frustrating and unlucky in most cases.  Take JFC for example, Lavelle never been injured until he signs for us, Stockley rarely injured until now etc.

You’ll laugh, but I don’t think we’re far off, I just hope it all gets assembled quicker than last summer.
    Keep all of that lot and we'll  be sat in mid table obscurity all over again.
    Why?  That’s the lot Jackson has used, and we’d be top 6 if the season started when he took over.  That plus 7 new players as I stated.
    You can reply rather than do an angry lol eaststandmike I won’t bite.
    Nothing angry about my lol, I genuinely smiled when I read your post. There is no evidence we would be top 6, it is based on assumption. 

I stand by what I have said in multiple posts on here and that is our squad is made up of average League One standard players and we are sitting mid table because that is an average position. 

We are, and will continue to be inconsistent, win one, lose one, win two lose two etc. Our recruitment process is as shocking as I can remember and I have supported this club for over 50 years. The last 3 x windows have been shockers considering we have a recruitment team and the famous "black box"

This squad is not capable of putting an unbeaten run together to challenge for a top spot, not this season, not next season, not any season.

As Croydon said to you, keep them and we will continue to sit in mid table obscurity.   

I think our first choice team is just about good enough to reach the playoffs, but I don’t think the squad is strong enough, if and when we have injuries and suspensions. 
    If we strengthen in the summer we should have a chance, as JJ’s points per game average is good enough this season, even with key players missing. But we do need to unload quite a lot of dead wood. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    msomerton said:
    se9addick said:
    The plan needs to involve the best free players (in the positions we need covering) available joining us on the 1st July, rather than the likes of Ipswich and Wigan
    I don’t think it works like this unfortunately. The timeline is really controlled by the players & clubs further up the food chain. The clubs further up the leagues are able to go out and get their first choice players early on, the further down the leagues have much less control over who is available and when. I think us Charlton fans might have a slightly false impression over his much you can’t really put in place to have your key transfer targets join you at the very start of the window because we had that one amazing window under Powell, I’m beginning to think that was the exception rather than the rule.
    you pay the money you can get the best.
    You can, but so can other clubs who pay the money. But we have a very good stadium & decent crowds, and we’re in London, which a draw for some players. Hopefully that’ll be enough to attract some talent to SE7. 
    Think we’re ok at RCB with Lavelle and Inniss. Ness is not too far off being back up for these two perhaps. It’s LCB where the problem is. Think Pearce has been a great servant, but can’t see him being in the squad next season. Maybe keep Famewo, but only as backup.
    We need to invest in at least one quality wing back, a striker and a midfielder. Oh, and a keeper. 
    Quality, not quantity. 
    Squad wise we need to replace about 7 or 8 in my opinion 
    Ideally, but I’d rather have four top quality than 7 so so. 
    I never said so so.
    In my opinion we need 7 or 8 better than we have. 
    Otherwise forget about promotion. 
    Of course, as would we all, but can’t see that happening, unfortunately. 
    7 or 8 players better than we have may not be hard to find, but you’d have to persuade them to leave their clubs to join us rather than other suitors, and then you’d have to cough up the dough.
    So when I said four or five I was trying to be realistic. 
    Of course, I’d love to be completely wrong. Maybe TS has realised what you need to do to get promotion, and will therefore splash the cash
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Here are me feelings on the players out of contract. I'm doing this based on the assumptions that Jacko will be in charge next season, and that he'll be looking to play either a 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2 Diamond (hope he tries this out from the start between now and the end of the season). Basically, that means no true wingers, only wingbacks. If we let Jacko go in the summer or he doesn't work out next season, then we need to look for a coach who plays without wingers because right now we have a hybrid squad built for three different managers and it shows with the square legs in round holes. 

Let go:
    Soaure: Wouldn't have been a bad punt if we'd brought him in in July and let him have a preseason. We brought him in in September when we were desperate for a LB.

Gunter: has the most caps for Wales of any man. That just boggles the mind. He was decent once but not anymore.

Hendo: Never rated him much as a player in his first go around. Will always be in credit with me for coming out and speaking to the media after that loss to Hudds.

Pearce: Thanks for the memories skip but we probably should have replaced you a couple years ago. Probably has another year or two playing then expect him back here in a coaching role. 

Watson: we'll always have...yeah

Leaning Let Go:
    Matthews: My POTY in the Championship but he seems to have lost the ability to defend and he never was one to get to the byline even though he has a decent cross on him. He would have been in the Let Go category before he got this run in the team. If he really shows form from now until the end of the season I'd be okay resigning him as squad depth, but as things stand I think we can do better.

All To Play For:
    Lee: I know he's not ours but he's out of contract in the summer. There's a good League One player in there and he showed that in the first half yesterday. Consistency is the issue with him. If he has a good run in, give him a contract, if not, wish him the best.

Famewo: Maybe the toughest one because he has the tools to be a good defender at this level except he's lacking in the air and error prone. His physical abilities, particularly his pace, and his strength on the ball, would be very difficult to find, especially in a left footer. But he makes mistakes and gets caught out in the air. The definition of all to play for. Listed here because we have an option to buy. 

Purrington: I'd be okay bringing him back as a second choice LB/LWB. I think he's a solid League One player and you could do a lot worse. But LB/LWB is definitely an area we need to strengthen in the summer. 

Worth the Punt:
    JFC: On his day a very good L1 player and we have a contract option for him. At his best he's good enough for a promotion push. We have enough depth in midfield to absorb the hit if he can't stay fit again, but could be a box to box midfielder if he stays fit. 

Inniss: This is as things stand now. He's in this league because of his injury record. We have RCB cover in Lavelle plus Deji and others coming through. Assuming we replace Pearce, I think he's worth the punt. But if he picks up another major injury between now and the end of the season we should see that as a sign to move on from him.

Definitely resign:
    Washington: I don't understand the animosity toward him. He works hard, forces defenders into mistakes, makes smart runs, and we play better with him in the side. We'll want another striker in the summer to replace Burstow/Leko and to ensure we don't expect too much of Kanu. But I think Washington is a good player in a team that plays with a front two.

Loans:
    Leko: Seems like a lovely lad but is just far too inconsistent and after years of watching him for us and West Brom I still don't know what his natural position is. 

John: Will we see him? I've said elsewhere I think his is an arrangement like Dasilva's, take him for six months with an eye to bringing him back for a full season. That turned out really well. I think having one loan spot with a lot of potential but no guarantee of success is okay, and John seems highly rated with a big upside. He'd be in the all to play for category. 

Castillo: Another all to play for. He's not going to make it at Chelsea so I have to think we brought him in with an eye of keeping him around next season. Unlucky he got Covid right before joining us so we'll just have to see what he's like when he does play. 

Burstow: Needs to play regularly to develop and now that he's not ours we don't need to worry about developing him. Still very raw and may need to drop down a level to develop. If we have Stockley, Aneke, and Washington, he's fourth choice, and I think we can do better. 

This squad is too big as it is so letting some players go is fine. But the additions we make, CB, R(W)B, L(W)B, DM cover need to be quality signings.

Then there's the issue of what to do with players who have contracts who might not be good enough or don't fit the system. CBT, DJ, Morgan, Kirk all fall into this category. I think CBT, DJ, and Morgan deserve until the end of the season because all have the upside to be decent L1 players and provide good squad depth. With Kirk, I guess it just depends on how he does for Blackpool. If he does move on, I suspect we may look back on that and regret letting him go, but sometimes players just don't work out.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022

I'd have Clare, Lavelle and Blackett-Taylor in the decent group (relative to expectations) with Stockley and Dobson. MacG, Henderson, Famewo can join Lee in the in between group - I wouldn't be desperate to have any of them here next year but they'd be good enough as squad players.

Leaves a poor group of Kirk, Souare, Arter and Leko. The two older heads were panic signings after missing out on other targets. Kirk is a good player and no-one could've really foreseen how badly he would have it here, it just didn't work out and Leko played well enough in his first spell.

This judgement is based on our aims of winning promotion. Not whether they suit our team, the mid-table League One side we are. The recruitment team failed last summer.
    I would be happy with Clare, Lavelle, Blackett-Taylor, Dobson, Stockley, Famewo, MacG, Henderson, Lee in an eighteen man squad that challenges for promotion next season (obviously not both keepers, I'm talking individuals rather than as a group). The first five I would like to see here next season, the next four I'm not fussed whether they stay or go but they would be decent options off the bench.

Re: Roddy, he still doesn't deserve to be on that list. We should have signed a left back sooner, you are right. Souare was done at the deadline in a panic and has not worked out.
  • Options
    There seems to be a feeling that recruitment is an easy game. I suspect it’s far from easy, and like a lot of other things, requires an element of luck. If one or two players are almost ready to sign but keep you waiting and then head off elsewhere, it can easily ruin plans. Tough job.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Fortunately we have a new recruitment genius coming in and I'm very much assured by his promises that he does have a plan. A cunning plan, no less:

• Options

How in God's name can we have a summer plan when we don't even know who the manager will be ?

Jackson's position must be confirmed first or any recruitment is a complete waste of time and effort and we are back to chaos.

To be fair to Nigel Adkins, after a strong finish to last season he was evidently peeved by the signings to support his one up front system and didn't even select Clare or Dobson or Kirk. That was the start of the rot. 

My own theory (based on his press interviews) is that TS is very hands-on in recruitment and loves playing Football Manager for real. He is entitled to play of course because it's his money but we wont get anywhere while he does. 

Get a CEO. Confirm the manager. Agree a plan and budget. Brief Gallen. Execute it. 

It's not rocket science surely..
    What would this CEO do that TS and his son do not?
    The January window ran smoothly after the reshape and I do not see TS changing it all up again.
    TS will be making strategic decisions on moving the club forward and his son has the budget and decides on recruitment.
    I think that his sons role means that this job of CEO at the club just does not exist anymore, and having been let down before, TS is not about to pass on the decision making anyway.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

How in God's name can we have a summer plan when we don't even know who the manager will be ?

Jackson's position must be confirmed first or any recruitment is a complete waste of time and effort and we are back to chaos.

To be fair to Nigel Adkins, after a strong finish to last season he was evidently peeved by the signings to support his one up front system and didn't even select Clare or Dobson or Kirk. That was the start of the rot. 

My own theory (based on his press interviews) is that TS is very hands-on in recruitment and loves playing Football Manager for real. He is entitled to play of course because it's his money but we wont get anywhere while he does. 

Get a CEO. Confirm the manager. Agree a plan and budget. Brief Gallen. Execute it. 

The January window ran smoothly after the reshape and I do not see TS changing it all up again.
    TS will be making strategic decisions on moving the club forward and his son has the budget and decides on recruitment.
    I think that his sons role means that this job of CEO at the club just does not exist anymore, and having been let down before, TS is not about to pass on the decision making anyway.
    What you say is of course true.
    The problem though is that Sandgaard junior is completely unqualified to do the job.
    Someone with the experience of Varney ( not necessarily him ) but someone with his experience would be much better qualified to advise Sandgaard and get us back on the right path moving forward. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

Purrington - also slightly harsh but we have to move on if we’re opting for wing backs.

The slots highlighted as “(new)” are vital acquisitions to make it work, particularly the wing back positions.  

We also need a bit of luck, as bad as we’ve been our injuries are just so frustrating and unlucky in most cases.  Take JFC for example, Lavelle never been injured until he signs for us, Stockley rarely injured until now etc.

You’ll laugh, but I don’t think we’re far off, I just hope it all gets assembled quicker than last summer.
    Why?  That’s the lot Jackson has used, and we’d be top 6 if the season started when he took over.  That plus 7 new players as I stated.
    Nothing angry about my lol, I genuinely smiled when I read your post. There is no evidence we would be top 6, it is based on assumption. 

I stand by what I have said in multiple posts on here and that is our squad is made up of average League One standard players and we are sitting mid table because that is an average position. 

We are, and will continue to be inconsistent, win one, lose one, win two lose two etc. Our recruitment process is as shocking as I can remember and I have supported this club for over 50 years. The last 3 x windows have been shockers considering we have a recruitment team and the famous "black box"

This squad is not capable of putting an unbeaten run together to challenge for a top spot, not this season, not next season, not any season.

As Croydon said to you, keep them and we will continue to sit in mid table obscurity.   

There is genuine evidence mate, I’m giving an opinion I’m talking maths.
    His league record is brilliant since he took over with a squad loaded with no hopers.  If the season started 18 games ago when he took over we’d be top six.  
    We wouldn't be though would you you are looking at the effect, not the cause. 

We wouldn't have put in the performances like Sunderland, Rotherham and Plymouth if he had been here from the start.

If Jackson had been the manager from the Sheffield Wednesday game we would probably have about the same number of points as we have got now, just in a different order. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What I would do is:

The six loans all leave.
    Don't renew Watson, Gunter and Souare. 

That's the easy bit. 

That gives you enough wiggle room to get in the best 8 or 9 players you can get, that's pretty much a whole new team.  Add that to Dobson, Stockley, Lavelle, Fraser with Matthews, Purrington, Inniss, Aneke, Clare, Gilbey, CBT, DJ, JFC Washington and Morgan as back ups.  That should be enough.

I wouldn't trust our recruitment team to sign more than 6 or 7 players in the summer. 

Which begs the question of whether the recruitment team/ approach needs replacing.  Another wasted window this pre season then it will be difficult to argue not.

Would be interested to see overall how many signings have been a success and how many not. Cullen, Taylor, Beliek etc stand out as top drawer but they are overshadowed by the Smiths, Levitts, Soares, Arters and many more failed signings.  Some would have been made out of necessity, desperation over the years but last spring/ summer from May onwards was the first season there were no valid obvious public excuses for not having a good window and it was poor.  

Another one this May and questions need to be asked as to whether they will get it right with the current set up.

That's the point, they knew Maatsen was only on loan so realistically they had 6 months to find 1 better left back than Purrington.  They failed. 

Expecting them to magic up two? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

His league record is brilliant since he took over with a squad loaded with no hopers.  If the season started 18 games ago when he took over we’d be top six.  

We wouldn't have put in the performances like Sunderland, Rotherham and Plymouth if he had been here from the start.

If Jackson had been the manager from the Sheffield Wednesday game we would probably have about the same number of points as we have got now, just in a different order. 
    All we have to go on is JJ’s record since we took over which considering the squad he’s been dealt is excellent, let’s not deny him of that just because we’ve lost back to back games.

And I disagree strongly we’d be in the same position from the start of the season, how can you say that when you know full well JJ would never of played a 442 with Watson in midfield and Stockley on the bench!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

A CEO would be full time, have decades of experience running football clubs, proven management experience in the weird ego- charged world of football and lots of contacts in the game. 

If TS junior is qualified to be head of a League 1 football club recruitment effort with all the complications of agents, personal relationships, club animosities, contracts, the medical/injury side etc.  TS might as well appoint Peter Varney as head of medical instrumentation sales for North America.

TS junior may be bright, highly-educated, competent, hard-working and good looking but he has zero track record in football clubs or football club recruitment 

It is no insult to him personally. I am sure he's a lot more capable and likeable than I am but at the end of the day this is Roland/ Katrien-style nepotism all over again.

Anyone else remember her deals with ridiculously long contracts offered to mediocre players at the last minute?

I am not suggesting recruitment is easy just that we have no chance of succeeding with no clarity about the manager, no plan as to how we want to play,  no certainty about budget and someone in charge with zero experience. 

Not saying he is qualified but Martin Sandgaard is “director of analysis” focussing on potential first team signings and future opponents. Gallen’s role hasn’t changed so he’ll deal with agents, contracts etc.

Don’t know who’s leading the medical side, I think it was Roddy and I doubt it’s Martin Sandgaard.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

All we have to go on is JJ’s record since we took over which considering the squad he’s been dealt is excellent, let’s not deny him of that just because we’ve lost back to back games.

And I disagree strongly we’d be in the same position from the start of the season, how can you say that when you know full well JJ would never of played a 442 with Watson in midfield and Stockley on the bench!
    But that's 1 or 2 games not all 13.  People do "strange" things when your in awful run of results.  Watson had to play the Wigan game because we literally on had 3 midfielders fit.  Including him. 

Look at the squad we had, and who we played, in the first 4 games.  Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson wouldn't have got more than 2 or 3 points out of that.  

This season was torpedoed by poor recruitment.  Nothing else. 

If we had sacked Adkins after the Bolton home game we could have got 6 more points, but the "bounce" would have run out two or three games later so we would be where we are. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What I would do is:

The six loans all leave.
    Don't renew Watson, Gunter and Souare. 

That's the easy bit. 

That gives you enough wiggle room to get in the best 8 or 9 players you can get, that's pretty much a whole new team.  Add that to Dobson, Stockley, Lavelle, Fraser with Matthews, Purrington, Inniss, Aneke, Clare, Gilbey, CBT, DJ, JFC Washington and Morgan as back ups.  That should be enough.

I wouldn't trust our recruitment team to sign more than 6 or 7 players in the summer. 

Which begs the question of whether the recruitment team/ approach needs replacing.  Another wasted window this pre season then it will be difficult to argue not.

Would be interested to see overall how many signings have been a success and how many not. Cullen, Taylor, Beliek etc stand out as top drawer but they are overshadowed by the Smiths, Levitts, Soares, Arters and many more failed signings.  Some would have been made out of necessity, desperation over the years but last spring/ summer from May onwards was the first season there were no valid obvious public excuses for not having a good window and it was poor.  

Another one this May and questions need to be asked as to whether they will get it right with the current set up.

That's the point, they knew Maatsen was only on loan so realistically they had 6 months to find 1 better left back than Purrington.  They failed. 

Expecting them to magic up two? 
    Nope. I have absolutely no faith we will go anywhere  (other than downwards) under the current off the field set up personally as I think any initial masterplan was flawed and I don't think there is much strategy other than good PR and managing fans on Twitter with a hit and hope approach to recruitment.

I think it will be a turgid rinse and repeat, or versions of, what we've seen for recent seasons. Hit and miss gambles, wasted pre seasons and last minute sticking plaster back filling. No real appetite/ ability to do much else. 

I will give it to August to confirm that view but expect it to  be evident if this will be the case sooner ie by how quickly we act in May onwards to shape a squad.

For Charlton man Jackson to be making noises concerns me. Yes he was "happy' to sign his contract but as Cawley pointed out you sign it if nothing else is available. 

Wigan were in an appalling position same time as us yet have done something very different in that time whatever it is.

If it turns out we are just ticking over each season hoping to get lucky and destined to be a 3rd division club for the foreseeable then so be it...we're not entitled to be anything else or have a divine right to success. But if that's what it is going to be I'd like us to stop kidding ourselves we're anything else and pretend we're on the verge of promotion challenge facilitating pre season recruitment if it's not going to be the case.

Will clearly see in next few months which way we're going in that respect I imagine.
    Another poor summer and I can't see anyway back for TS and rightly so imo.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

But that's 1 or 2 games not all 13.  People do "strange" things when your in awful run of results.  Watson had to play the Wigan game because we literally on had 3 midfielders fit.  Including him. 

Look at the squad we had, and who we played, in the first 4 games.  Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson wouldn't have got more than 2 or 3 points out of that.  

If we had sacked Adkins after the Bolton home game we could have got 6 more points, but the "bounce" would have run out two or three games later so we would be where we are. 

If it’s by poor recruitment and “nothing else” you’d of kept Adkins then??

You can argue the poor recruitment or even the timing of it I’ll meet you half way there, but big parts of the blame lay with Adkins, even with the squad he had W2 D3 L8 in this league is abysmal, he takes most of the blame for me.
  • Options
    I think we have too many flakey winge type characters - dj, cbt, kirk, leko - i'd want a maximum of 2 of those in my squad and more 'solid citizens' - 7 out of 10 ers rather than 5 4 out of 10's follwed by a 9. We need to bring in character, fitness and dependability in the summer more than anything else. A striker and a couple more all round midfielders and / or specialist wing backs if thats how we ae going. 
  • Options

I would be happy with Clare, Lavelle, Blackett-Taylor, Dobson, Stockley, Famewo, MacG, Henderson, Lee in an eighteen man squad that challenges for promotion next season (obviously not both keepers, I'm talking individuals rather than as a group). The first five I would like to see here next season, the next four I'm not fussed whether they stay or go but they would be decent options off the bench.

Re: Roddy, he still doesn't deserve to be on that list. We should have signed a left back sooner, you are right. Souare was done at the deadline in a panic and has not worked out.
    They wouldn't challenge. They've shown that this season. 

Next season is going to be even more difficult with the Championship sides coming down. 
  • Options
    Also need to factor in the very real risk that we release/ don't resign the players that are out of contract and not good enough for a promotion push that you get left with nothing or players who aren't up to it or are up to it on paper but don't bed in i.e. a team of Charlie Kirks.

Selling teams will know our desperation to get at least a decent team in place and will likely use that to their advantage in asking prices.  And we still need to attract the players to come regardless of whether their clubs accept offers to negotiate. Players will look at prospects of us against other clubs to so vital to convince them that we will be in a position to have a go better than Ipswich, Derby, Sunderland, Sheff Wed et who are all bigger clubs than us (perhaps bar Ipswich).

Scenario 1- we get rid of the players who are out of contract and likely won't be part of a promotion challenging/ future champ team and sign a near equal number of players that will- big gamble especially if not outspending 3- 6 other clubs

Scenario 2 - play it safe and resign again the poor performing/ limited ability players just to ensure the semblance of a team that won't get tonked each week and aim to pad it out with a few Fraser type signings in the hope it'll be enough to have ago.

Scenario 3- release them all and then don't manage to attract/ sign anyone of equal calibre and prospect, let alone better, and then a last minute panic station approach to get bodies in

The longer we are down in this league the less likely Scenario 1 is and the less likely we will interest top draw players because we play in a nice stadium and played in the premier league when most of the players were at nursery school.

Really tough job but needs to be done right this time and early.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

GK
    MacG
    AMB

RCB
    Clare
    (new)

CB
    Innis
    Lavelle

LCB
    Famewo
    (new)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi
    (new)

LWB
    (new)
    (new)

CDM
    Dobson
    (new)

CM
    Fraser
    Morgan

CM
    Gilbey
    JFC

FWD
    Washington
    (new)

STK
    Stockley
    Aneke

YOUTH (on the fringes)
    Kanu
    Elewere
    Henry

If it’s by poor recruitment and “nothing else” you’d of kept Adkins then??

You can argue the poor recruitment or even the timing of it I’ll meet you half way there, but big parts of the blame lay with Adkins, even with the squad he had W2 D3 L8 in this league is abysmal, he takes most of the blame for me.
    The poor recruitment contributed to our awful start.  The fans turned on the team/manager after the 3rd game of the season.

I would say that up until the Portsmouth home game it was the recruitment (and injuries/illness) that was the issue.

After that it's on him, 4 games, 3 defeats in games we really should be winning but, and it's a big but, would it have become so irratic if we had had a better start?

The difference between this 4 games and last season were like chalk and cheese.

Who ever is the manager needs backing and to be given the chance to succeed, or fail, on there own merits.

He should have been sacked, because he didn't turn it around and didn't look like doing so.  That all said, I don't think he should have ever been in that situation.