Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Plan For The Summer?

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Just having a clear plan would be a good start... I dunno, maybe, scout some players the manager wants and let him build his side. 

The almost constant reference to Gallen as just the expert negotiator doesn't fill me with much confidence anymore, I know  he's never been involved in scouting before joining us, and hes done alright in the past, but at the time of shoe string budgets and embargoes, relying on his contacts was fine, but, maybe it's time to shake that up a little now.

And sorry Steve, but we need at least 10 in.
    10 players! I guess you are not looking for any quality then. 
    The probability is that those 10 players will not be able to cost more on wages than currently we spend, and I would guess a budget of about £1.5m on top for either fees or wages.
    Maybe if we are lucky we maybe able to spend anything we make on sales like Kirk.

I'm not expecting much from the recruitment tbh. 

Washington, Purrington, Inniss and probably Matthews will all be back.  New RWB, LWB, CB, DM, FWD....probably from Palace's broken player pile, Jon Fortune's agency and Chelsea's youth team. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Just having a clear plan would be a good start... I dunno, maybe, scout some players the manager wants and let him build his side. 

The almost constant reference to Gallen as just the expert negotiator doesn't fill me with much confidence anymore, I know  he's never been involved in scouting before joining us, and hes done alright in the past, but at the time of shoe string budgets and embargoes, relying on his contacts was fine, but, maybe it's time to shake that up a little now.

Thought he was a scout at QPR?

Just a youth coach I think
  • Options
    The trouble with 2ng guessing our recruitment policy is that nobody outside the club really knows the structure as it stands. Those having fits of TS's son need to chill out as I doubt very much if he is making any decisions. Put yourself in TS shoes he has a business the other side of the world costing millions a year, if I was him I would 100% put someone in there to be my eyes and ears he would be stupid not to. Back to the recruitment IF Gallen has been identifying the players the last 2 windows he should be worried because there have been some mental mistakes that will be costly, Aneke on a 3 year contract ? Ffs we will be lucky if he is fit 14 months of that ! Kirk ? Soure ? You could go on as the bad far out number the good imo
  • Options
    Have we just been ‘spoilt’ in the recent past having Cullen & Bielik on loan, is the budget a bit tighter than it was before, ie can we not afford to get that calibre of loan, or they just don’t want to join us?
    Playing for Bowyer is a bigger draw than playing for Jackson
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I expect we may look towards the lower leagues for some players. There must be a few players worth a punt and can't be any worse than this years attempts at a gamble. Skivo must know a few possibilities after his time at Yeovil.

We also need a better balance of characters. When we go behind we don't seem to have the personalities to lift the team.

Finally an organiser in defence, Pearce excells at this, but he will be too slow for this league next season.

Main plan should be to get organised early.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

As much as I hate to say it, our recruitment has been poor since Driesen left as chief scout. Pretty sure all  of our good signings when he was here such as Cullen, Bielik, gallagher etc were all because of him. It pains me to say it but it can't be a coincidence that since he's left our recruitment has been awful, especially when it comes to loans. 

Flip side is that he also brought in garbage like Bergdich, El Hadji Ba, Nego and so on. But he always swears on twitter he wasn't involved in those transfers.

I don't think Gallen is the transfer king we all thought he was back in 18/19....
  • Options

As much as I hate to say it, our recruitment has been poor since Driesen left as chief scout. Pretty sure all  of our good signings when he was here such as Cullen, Bielik, gallagher etc were all because of him. It pains me to say it but it can't be a coincidence that since he's left our recruitment has been awful, especially when it comes to loans. 

Flip side is that he also brought in garbage like Bergdich, El Hadji Ba, Nego and so on. But he always swears on twitter he wasn't involved in those transfers.

I don't think Gallen is the transfer king we all thought he was back in 18/19....
    Driesen said Dobson was "league 2 standard."
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Very true, but also called Gilbey being bang average back when we signed him. Which we can now see is true if I'm being honest.
  • Options
    Yes, and Katrien was a top chief executive too. No risk of the ground being sold out under her…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forest Green have two very good wing backs in Cadden (LWB) and Wilson (RWB). We could do worse than buy them both. If only one, then Cadden.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Forest Green have two very good wing backs in Cadden (LWB) and Wilson (RWB). We could do worse than buy them both. If only one, then Cadden.
    Lol, why would they join us, Forest Green will be above us in League One next season, they play some great football 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Very true, but also called Gilbey being bang average back when we signed him. Which we can now see is true if I'm being honest.
    I know we're in a bad place but if we're hailing Driesen as some kind of mastermind, we're really hitting the bottle a bit too hard. 
    100% am by no means hailing Driesen. But since he's left our recruitment has been so poor, and I don't see that changing this summer.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The first position we need is a new keeper... He really isn't great, he provides no confidence to the team or defence, so many errors, either poor kicking, kicking the ball straight at the oppo, shots gone straight through him, and no commanding the box.. Yes he has made some good saves, but he is a keeper, that is his job, to save the ball!!

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Lol, why would they join us, Forest Green will be above us in League One next season, they play some great football 
    Because we have a 27k seater stadium, they have a 5k stadium with only 2k seated.

They've never been above third tier, we have for the majority of the last 50 years.

We will pay more on wages, we will pay more on transfer fees.

Weve had a particularly bad season, they’ve had a particularly good one, our ambitions are much higher. 

Their rivals are Cheltenham, ours are Crystal Palace and Millwall.

Plenty of clubs have come up from league two with good teams and found themselves back down there 12 months later.

Come on, I know things are poor I agree but let’s be serious.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Good point 🙁
    Although I imagine we could up their wages, and playing in front of big, happy crowds at The Valley may also appeal? 😬
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I wonder what will become of Macauley Bonne this summer. His season has really tailed off. One goal in his past sixteen games, only twelve for this season. Washington has nine and he's played less (and in a rubbish team!)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-to-target-adding-more-physical-presence-in-summer-transfer-window/

Johnnie Jackson has admitted that boosting the height and aerial power of his Charlton Athletic side is a key consideration for the summer transfer window.

The Addicks have conceded 10 goals in their last four matches – shipping four in Saturday’s reverse at the hands of Oxford United.

Charlton kept four clean sheets in their opening five matches when Jackson was in caretaker charge following the dismissal of Nigel Adkins.

And the Addicks boss reckons at least part of their vulnerability is down to missing the aerial ability of Jayden Stockley and Chuks Aneke, although all Oxford’s goals at the weekend were low strikes.

“We’ve been caught on the counter-attack quite a bit and conceded a few from set-pieces – the personnel doesn’t help with that on certain ones,” said Jackson.

“There are certain ones who make you stronger in your own box. But when you attack you have to be vigilant as well and that is something we’ve maybe gone away from – are we prepared and ready to do our job if there is a turnover?

“I haven’t had the opportunity to put Ryan Inniss, Jayden Stockley and Conor Washington on the pitch together and that would make a big difference in either box.

“We’re not a big side and that has been a little bit of our downfall. If you take Inniss, Stockley and a couple of others out we’re not a big team and set-pieces are a big part of the game. We need to think about that when we plan as well for next season.”

• Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-to-target-adding-more-physical-presence-in-summer-transfer-window/

Johnnie Jackson has admitted that boosting the height and aerial power of his Charlton Athletic side is a key consideration for the summer transfer window.

The Addicks have conceded 10 goals in their last four matches – shipping four in Saturday’s reverse at the hands of Oxford United.

Charlton kept four clean sheets in their opening five matches when Jackson was in caretaker charge following the dismissal of Nigel Adkins.

And the Addicks boss reckons at least part of their vulnerability is down to missing the aerial ability of Jayden Stockley and Chuks Aneke, although all Oxford’s goals at the weekend were low strikes.

“We’ve been caught on the counter-attack quite a bit and conceded a few from set-pieces – the personnel doesn’t help with that on certain ones,” said Jackson.

“There are certain ones who make you stronger in your own box. But when you attack you have to be vigilant as well and that is something we’ve maybe gone away from – are we prepared and ready to do our job if there is a turnover?

“I haven’t had the opportunity to put Ryan Inniss, Jayden Stockley and Conor Washington on the pitch together and that would make a big difference in either box.

“We’re not a big side and that has been a little bit of our downfall. If you take Inniss, Stockley and a couple of others out we’re not a big team and set-pieces are a big part of the game. We need to think about that when we plan as well for next season.”

Oh god, sack him quick

(an AERIALLY DOMINANT GOALKEEPER is what's needed, obv)
  • Options
    Clare? Dobson? Aneke? All midgets obviously. Jackson sounds like he hasn't got the slightest fucking clue what our actual downfall is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    It’s a tough one.  You could argue that all out of contract players and loans are released/not signed permanently.  I like Inniss, think we look better with him in the team, but are we always going to have to ‘manage his minutes’?

Washington works very hard and I don’t think he’s a bad player, but is he someone that will get us the required goals to get up?

Gunter, Watson, Souare, I think everyone will agree have done their time.

I’m inclined to put Matthews in the same bucket.

The players of contention I would imagine are Purrington, Morgan & Pearce of those who are contracted to us.  If Pearce stays, it has to be coaching only.  Morgan I wouldn’t lose sleep over but I know a few of you still believe ‘there’s a player in there’.  Similar to Purrington.  He’s okay, I know he operates to the best of his abilities most games, but we probably need better.  

Of the loans, no to all for me.  By that I mean senior players we may look to sign (Lee, Leko & Famewo), not the 2 youngsters 

Another thing I think worth pointing out, a lot of the time we talk of being only 2/3 off challenging for a play off place.  Why don’t we think of how many we’re off challenging for the automatics?  Then I think we can see how inadequately we stack up.

I don’t know if TS and the recruitment set up have got it in them to bring in 6/7 quality players, but that’s what we’ll need.

Mac is okay in goal, I don’t really see the need to replace him.  If we continue with a back 3, based on the above that’s Lavelle, Inniss & Clare, possibly Elewere.  We’re short at both full back positions.

There’s only 2 midfielders I think can be part of a promotion winning team that hold the central position, that’s Dobson and Fraser.  Gilbey must become a fringe player at the most if we’re to get out this league.  I don’t fancy DJ or CBT in terms of quality and consistency.

Of the front 3 I’ve already covered Washington.  Not sure how bad Stockley’s injury is.  Do we just write him off for this season in the hope the prolonged break does him good?  Aneke can score goals at this level, but again, questions over fitness and I am not sure he and Stockley are the most natural partners.  

I just can’t see it all coming together currently 
    It all depends on what your asking them to do.  Would Purrington and Matthews, for example, have got in Powell's team?

Of course not, would we have still got promoted if they were 2nd choice to Solly and Wiggins.  Almost certainly.

Is Washington the Yann or BWP for next season, no.  Is he capable of more or equal to Hayes, Clarke, Euell and Benson?

Would we have won the league of Pearce was 4th choice with Taylor, Morrison and Court?

Its a waste of time, and money, signing "back ups".

The real problem is we are worse without Washington, Gilbey, Innis and Aneke and they are all either injury prone or not good enough to be "indispensable". 

Yup.  I am just not confident we’re going to go out and look for/acquire better than the likes of Famewo next season.  Got this horrible feeling Lee and Famewo will both get a deal, which means we’ll see a similar squad to what we have now which we know isn’t good enough. 

You could argue we’re underachieving and this lot can be slightly higher, but we’re talking by a few places, not top 6.  League table doesn’t lie after 32 games 
    Got no problems with either joining .. it’s a squad game and both these are very good players at this level .. if the player we just failed to get in the last window is anything to go by then our targets are very exiting 
    Are you going to expand or just leave it there to give the impression that you know?
    Bloke from Peterbro was one and Piggott was the other 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    If, next season, you can get shorter odds on promotion for FGR than for Charlton then I’ll get Marvin Sordell’s face tattooed on my bum.

Compare the two options in the summer and I think it’s a no brainer which club is more likely to be in the promotion picture.

Our problem would be when the multitude of other clubs like Sunderland and Peterborough also come into the picture. That’s a separate discussion. :-)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Great pair of wing backs and would fix a whole host of our current issues immediately.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    If, next season, you can get shorter odds on promotion for FGR than for Charlton then I’ll get Marvin Sordell’s face tattooed on my bum.

Compare the two options in the summer and I think it’s a no brainer which club is more likely to be in the promotion picture.

Our problem would be when the multitude of other clubs like Sunderland and Peterborough also come into the picture. That’s a separate discussion. :-)
    Who said anything about promotion, I merely said FGR will be above us. 

Unless we have a major upswing in recruitment, tactics, players attitudes etc, etc, etc I doubt we will be good odds for promotion so probably on a par with the likes of FGR.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Clare? Dobson? Aneke? All midgets obviously. Jackson sounds like he hasn't got the slightest fucking clue what our actual downfall is
    Multiple things including aerial power?
  • Options
    I think Jacko has a point. It is all about attributes. Not one, but having a few in the side. Pace, height, competetiveness, creativity, goals etc... You need to maximise these as far as possible and height is definitely something to consider.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:

Unless we have a major upswing in recruitment, tactics, players attitudes etc, etc, etc I doubt we will be good odds for promotion so probably on a par with the likes of FGR.

I know nothing of these players but if they really are that good then surely us buying them weakens FGR and strengthens us. So we wouldn't be on a par at all in that set of facts.  All immaterial anyway as if they are that good they will skip straight to the Championship.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:

If you're that confident switch it round to Sordell's bum tattooed on your face instead.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant!

1. they are a better side than us and on the way up

2. No way we could afford them, if we can add Matty Steven’s to the list and the CM player 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:

The point I was trying to make was to take the odds as a proxy for what the smart money is saying. It doesn’t always work out exactly the way it’s predicted obviously but that’s not the point I was making.

It’s the summer. You just got promoted from League Two. Would you rather play for team who can pay more money and are 8/1 to be promoted this coming season OR you can stay put and play for a team who are maybe 33/1. Numbers are made up to illustrate my point.

Besides, all of this discussion is for nothing when Cadden and Wilson sign for Bristol City and Rotherham.