Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 22 February 2022

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Bailey said:
    I appreciate that any team is going to miss their top 3 strikers........but any decent footballer knows how to shoot.

No shots on target. You won't win any games with that stat, no matter how good you defend.

First thing Jackson has to do is to get the players to shoot. Get the wingers (fuck wingbacks - go back to 4 4 2) to put in decent crosses & the central midfielders to put in passes that made their first goal.

And dont put Kanu on the bench if you are then going to throw DJ up front. 

DJ & Leko arent going to score. Might as well put a defender up there & use their height.

I say it quite often - coaching badges aren't worth a light. 
    First of all, you probably have never played as or recognised what a forward does. He not only scores goals but he holds the ball up, something Leko is not able to do, a forward also is able to keep pressure on the opposing side by their runs off the ball, look at Taylor on Saturday and he got two goals simply from his movement without the ball. The players who are fit are not the type of forward that we are missing and the youngsters are eighteen months away from being able to make a difference.
    Agree to the first bit - I played all my Sunday League football at fullback. So your second point doesn't stand up as I've defended against many a "forward" and have seen close up their all round play.

But less about me. All I can say after years of playing and almost 50 years of watching football is that a striker's main job is to score. End of. Leko & DJ have shown that if they even had the hold up play of Taylor they wouldn't have finished like he did on Saturday. 
    Not without the nous of movement which Leko doesn't have he is a winger, to make a comparison would you play Colin Powell, John Robinson or even Corey Blackwell Taylor as a centre forward, no because they don't know how to play that role.
  • Options

Hadn’t realised it’s four defeats in a row 🙁

• Options
    edited February 2022
    RedChaser said:
    Redhenry said:
    kafka said:
    There were only two players in that side tonight who will be here when we eventually win promotion (providing they don’t move on to better things beforehand).

Dobson and Lavelle.
    Did you see Lavelle’s defending for the second goal?
    Said this a while ago. Lavelle is an average L1 player, we need better...
    Can’t remember the name of the CB who we had lined up but he decided to sign elsewhere and Lavelle was next on the wanted list. The injury has set him back, however I think he’ll do a job for us but needs competition all the same.
    Jason Kerr. He has only played 4 games for wigan. Not sure if he has been injured? But if he has injury problems, I’m amazed we didn’t outbid wigan and also give him a 5 year contract. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Didn't Jackson say we matched them for opportunities first half?
    We did, those highlights not very representative of what actually happened.
    What opportunities did we create first half? Genuinely don't remember any. A header wide from a corner?
  • Options
    At the risk of repeating what I said on Saturday, any team would struggle after losing their 3 main strikers, and a couple of other creative players in Fraser and CBT.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't make yourself hard to beat, and at the moment defensively it's unacceptable. We've changed the players, but the same mistakes are being made, which makes you question the system and coaching.

Add to the powerpuff attack and leaky defence, hopelessly brittle confidence, and it's a recipe for disaster. We actually played okish in the first half, we at least pressed more and created a couple of half chances, but it was only a matter of time before we conceded, and once that happened we looked a beaten side already.
    I said at KO we were just waiting to be beaten.
    Anyone with proper football knowledge knew it except for Jacko apparently.
    Jacko, you've got no fit forwards and half a team that aren't good enough/don't give a fuck.
    Set the team up as solid as you can and hope for a lucky break.
    A bleeding school kids coach would know that is what you should do.
    You're heading for the sack Jacko unless you start waking up.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    What opportunities did we create first half? Genuinely don't remember any. A header wide from a corner?
    There was at least two chances where someone (Matthews?) burst down the right to the touch line and pulled it back across
    the box and no one got on the end of it.  
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    There really is a load of old bollocks being spoken here.
    Does anybody really think that these players are not trying,they are playing for their livelyhoods.and contracts,it wont be much fun being out of work at their age.
    Every attacking option we have is gone,no strikers ,CBT and Fraser not available,will someone please explain what JJ can actually do.
    Dont say defend better if the ball continually comes back,pressure will always tell in the end.
    When our midfield do get on the ball,just what options do they have,no one up front to aim at,no one to hold the ball up and allow them to get forward.
    Who do we cross to,plenty of moans about not crossing the ball,but who is there that is going to get on the end,Morgan takes a good corner,and has had some success,now nothing,every corner easily cleared.
    If and when we get Stockley and his mates back,this will be a different side.
    Please feel fit to take the piss out of my comments as you see fit,but I am convinced this will all change when we have some of our attacking options back.

Why do you assume other people dont watch the games just because their views are different to yours.
    I just find it hard to believe that anyone who's watching atm could think that the entire team is giving 100%
    Only the players themselves can tell you that,I do agree that at times one or two look as if they could do  a bit more,but as a whole some of the criticism they get I feel is a bit over the top.
    If anyone thinks the players are putting in the 100% effort they were when JJ was appointed as interim manager then they need to have a rethink.
    In those first few games the players were slumping to the ground through exhaustion at the final whistle.
    Dobson and possibly Morgan are the only two giving 100%.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    There was at least two chances where someone (Matthews?) burst down the right to the touch line and pulled it back across
    the box and no one got on the end of it.  
    Yes, we created "opportunities" first half.
    They created 3 gilt-edged chances and converted one of them.
    For all our honest endeavour and application and even when we show greater desire and threat, the endemic problem of no end product persists.
  • Options
    I think we matched them in the first half without creating clear cut opportunities but that is the difference...they created them and more importantly, scored them.

Personally feel that if Burstow scored with that chance early in the second half we may have scraped a draw. 
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
     I hate rubbishing any player, but what little i have seen in Charlton T V International, Mathews seems way off the mark as a defender. So naive not knowing that the goal scorer was behind him. When the killer pass came in, he had no pace to take him on. For the M K D first goal. Not only this game, but similar naivety in the last 3 matches Why does J J keep playing him. Perhaps he's O K but against quality teams.-A great block by Morgan to stop a cert goal
    Totally agree 4 goals in the last 3 games have been down to Matthews-  don’t understand why JJ keeps playing him - he switches off and rarely sprints back . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    The problem for me is around the strategy. We clearly lost Stockley for an unknown period and this is probably why we bought Aneke in. But Aneke has fitness doubts as we ought to know more than most, but fair enough. Washington needs to play with a Stockley or an Aneke and if he got injured too we would be where we are now. Was this scenario not seen as a possibility? It isn't my money to solve it of course. But we probably should have kept Davison. Not great but beggars can't be choosers.

Then surely Chelsea's late move for Burstow was an opportunity to mitigate the risk. I would genuinely like to know if Sandgaard who apparently fought to get him back on loan thought that if we got £1.6m for him, he is a £1.6m striker at this time. Every single penny of that fee was for potential. There was an opportunity to bring in an oven ready replacement and I said so at the time. If these decisions lack even basic football knowledge behind them, and I am not claiming more than that, we need to ask ourselves how good decsions are suddenly going to happen going forwards.

I don't think we would have lost the games we have lost recently with a credible forward line. At least not all of them.
  • Options
    Resigned to the bad results. What else is expected with no senior strikers?
  • Options
    Resigned to the bad results. What else is expected with no senior strikers?
    I’d expect at the very least, a 0-0. Our season was going to be built on clean sheets remember.