Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 22 February 2022

Comments

• Options
    We are totally exposed every season to varying degrees by losing key players and that has to be addressed in the summer. I think we seem to be more exposed than other clubs so it is a question that needs asking why it is. Some you are just unlucky with but others are crocks. Maybe that is the issue. And we are too reliant on too few players for goals. Personally I think it might be easier to fix than people think, but Jacko needs to be ruthless like Powell was before that title winning season.
    Agree (if he’s still here), that includes moving on the likes of Matthews and Purrington. We’ll continue going backwards if we keep players because they’re ok and do a job. As reliable as Purrington can be at this level he doesn’t suit Jackson’s system. Wing backs need to add pace and much more of an attacking threat than Purrington offers.
  • Options
    We were doing OK until Matthews let his player run past him - he has been at fault now for 4 goals in 3 games and Jackson keeps playing him - the worse defender that I have seen pull on a Charlton shirt !! The guy can’t tackle and has no interest in the game . We were playing well until he came back In The side ! 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Surely we can recall Davison?
    Sheffield Wednesday must be quaking in their boots.
    To be truthful the MKD fans were very good, their team were decent...although they have a mistake or two in them nonetheless.
    Once on loan you can't recall once the window is closed. Not in the EFL that is.Non league is different I believe. 
  • Options
    Tough watch tonight, Don't know what i can add. Just want a bit of pride and passion from the playing staff.
    Believe in JJ/Euell, don't quite know what the West country lad has bought to us.

But on the whole tonight we were shocking. Oh well i paid my ticket money watched a game of football,
    perhaps i am expecting too much.
  • Options
    Looking on the bright side…. at least we will have a new Wordle to complete tomorrow. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think some of the players being written off can be squad players. I think Gilbey and Lee have something to offer. I think Purrington isn't a centre half but at least is decent cover as a full back/wing back. Clare is a defensive midfielder but could be a decent squad player. We have to bring in a couple of midfielders who know wher ethe goal is or even just one if Forster-Caskey gets back to the player he was last season although he would be anoher injury risk. We need a dirty bastard forward who knows where the goal is to battle for a place with Stockley, Aneke and Washington. I think that player is Cole Stockton and he should be gettable.

We need a couple of centre halves at least and Matthews, Gunter and Watson need to go. If we can, give Pearce a coaching job and use him as a break the glass in case of emergency player. We need to work out whether CBT and DJ are worth keeping between now and the end of the season. Dobson is a real find and we should build the team around him. Morgan has had enough chances and it is best he goes.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Well, I thought we put in a better performance tonight compared to last Saturday. 

MK are 3rd in the table and are a very good team. We did not disgrace ourselves but it was a big ask with at least 5 major players still unavailable. Once those players are available again Jackson will get results although it will be very late in the season. 

It`s just been rotten luck we have been at our weakest when we have had to face the in form teams. We showed earlier we have a squad that can beat anyone in this league- when they are all fit.

I am confident the mood and the results will turn in our favour when those missing players are back. Lets hope its soon.

The fans emotions are understandably high on this thread tonight after another defeat but even Jackson can`t make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crowd of 8807, mk 605. Wow? Real numbers? I assume no missing season ticket holders included. Reality of how bad our season is?
  • Options
    Thoroughly depressing to watch and awful atmosphere. Going off Charlton...
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Think tonight was all about our missing strikers if we had Stockley and Washington tonight we would have won .. first half nothing between the sides decent display by the reds but one moment of hesitation from Matthews and we are one down …second half Burstow misses another guilt edge chance … and McG makes a great only fir the ball to fall to their striker who scores …. Tonight we kept battling and trying but without experienced strikers its impossible .

Burstow goes of injured and we end with DJ and Lee uk front that tells the story of tonight .. Mk Dons showed their confidence passing the ball around .
    What else can JJ do my only moan he should have given Campbell and Kanu longer 
    But we've lost games this season with Stockley & Washington playing. And with Washington & Aneke playing. 

And I'm sure I keep being told that clean sheets win League titles......so missing your strikers shouldnt be a problem

Or have I been right all along that goals are important. 🙂
    Not under Jackson...

And as for clean sheets not being important, are you not watching the games?

We're fucking clueless the moment the opposition stick the ball into our net

We could have Haaland and Mbappe out there and it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference
    You missed my point.

Everyone is moaning that we dont have any strikers. But previously when I've mentioned our general lack of firepower I keep being told that it starts at the back. So missing 3 strikers shouldnt matter if we are keeping clean sheets.

So is it a defensive problem or a lack of striker problem.

Also- I have no idea of the stats but I see how you conveniently said that we haven't lost under Jackson with Stockley/Wash or Wash/Aneke, so I assume we did under Adkins. 
    Why cant it be both? - I get your point completely Golfie, but to work as a team both parts of the game have to be in sync - I mean look at all four Divisions, the team at the top of the table have scored the most goals scored AND least goals conceded (or are not far from it)

You talk constantly about scoring goals as they're the be all and end all, and would simply expect us to score five goals every week if it meant the opposition scored four - Promotion aint gonna ever happen that way.

The only reason I ignored what Stockley / Washington achieved under Adkins is simple (1) He's not our Manager anymore. (2) We lost five games when those two "played" together under Adkins, but they never played as a partnership - Washington was played as a winger.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Thought we played well in early spells. Were very poor after the first goal for the remainder of the game.

Depressing that we're reliant of some very poor sides below us regarding relegation prospects to league 2 rather than ability for that not to be a concern at this stage of the season.

Grim.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Davo55 said:
    I don't understand why Elliott Lee is getting criticism on here. He was one of our better players when he came on; showing for the ball, turning his defender, creating pressure and opportunities. Seems to be a bit of a habit to dig out the same players every match regardless of the reality of what happened.
    Zero end product. He's Jonny Williams with hair
    Not tonight. He did more than anyone else in a Charlton shirt, attack wise. That's my point - people criticise him out of habit rather than taking each performance on it's merits.
  • Options
    Think tonight was all about our missing strikers if we had Stockley and Washington tonight we would have won .. first half nothing between the sides decent display by the reds but one moment of hesitation from Matthews and we are one down …second half Burstow misses another guilt edge chance … and McG makes a great only fir the ball to fall to their striker who scores …. Tonight we kept battling and trying but without experienced strikers its impossible .

Burstow goes of injured and we end with DJ and Lee uk front that tells the story of tonight .. Mk Dons showed their confidence passing the ball around .
    But we've lost games this season with Stockley & Washington playing. And with Washington & Aneke playing. 

And I'm sure I keep being told that clean sheets win League titles......so missing your strikers shouldnt be a problem

Not under Jackson...

We could have Haaland and Mbappe out there and it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference
    You missed my point.

Everyone is moaning that we dont have any strikers. But previously when I've mentioned our general lack of firepower I keep being told that it starts at the back. So missing 3 strikers shouldnt matter if we are keeping clean sheets.

Also- I have no idea of the stats but I see how you conveniently said that we haven't lost under Jackson with Stockley/Wash or Wash/Aneke, so I assume we did under Adkins. 
    Why cant it be both? - I get your point completely Golfie, but to work as a team both parts of the game have to be in sync - I mean look at all four Divisions, the team at the top of the table have scored the most goals scored AND least goals conceded (or are not far from it)

You talk constantly about scoring goals as they're the be all and end all, and would simply expect us to score five goals every week if it meant the opposition scored four - Promotion aint gonna ever happen that way.

The only reason I ignored what Stockley / Washington achieved under Adkins is simple (1) He's not our Manager anymore. (2) We lost five games when those two "played" together under Adkins, but they never played as a partnership - Washington was played as a winger.
    If you offer more goal threat it can make opponents more cautious and less likely to score against you. We are woefully short of goals through the team and where we do have it - in our forwards - we can't cope when they are all out because we don't have it anywhere else. When teams suss that out in a game, they can be more open and create more as it is less risky for them.
  • Options

Not under Jackson...

You missed my point.

If you offer more goal threat it can make opponents more cautious and less likely to score against you. We are woefully short of goals through the team and where we do have it - in our forwards - we can't cope when they are all out because we don't have it anywhere else. When teams suss that out in a game, they can be more open and create more as it is less risky for them.
    I agree - But surely it makes life easier for Strikers knowing that they've got players in defence behind them who'll keep the ball out of the net... At the moment we've got forward players who cant afford to miss a single effort on goal, because the opposition will waltz through our back line.

That pressure equally needs to be taken away from the Strikers...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Davo55 said:
    I don't understand why Elliott Lee is getting criticism on here. He was one of our better players when he came on; showing for the ball, turning his defender, creating pressure and opportunities. Seems to be a bit of a habit to dig out the same players every match regardless of the reality of what happened.
    Zero end product. He's Jonny Williams with hair
    Personally for me he did a couple of frustrating things when he came on.  Managed to fashion some space on the edge of the area where it looked like it would open up for shot and he tried to pass it across to someone and it hit the defender, then when he wriggled free of his man and got to the byline, he put over a weak ball along the floor that got cut out for a corner.  Agree with Croydon to an extent.  Reminds me of a meatier version of Williams with little end product 
  • Options
    Jeez that Lewington fella!

I think I've seen him play more games at the Valley than half the Charlton team.  He even had time tonight to coach young Burstow in how to manage his injury.
  • Options
    I thought the performance was much better tonight compared to Saturday and yes it does matter when we have no strikers because if you’re a midfielder a winger or anyone for that matter and you’re playing the ball forward your thinking in the back of your head how are we going to score?
  • Options

Not under Jackson...

You missed my point.

I get your point & I'm being flippant with the goals v clean sheets mantra. 

BUT

You cant say that because Washington was playing out wider (he's not a winger) then the stats dont count. He was on the pitch at the same time as Stockley. Now both are injured. So we lost when they both played & we lost when they didn't. Or should Jacko play MacGillivray up front just so the stats wont count ?
  • Options
    There were only two players in that side tonight who will be here when we eventually win promotion (providing they don’t move on to better things beforehand).

Dobson and Lavelle.
    You’re half right 
    if Lavelle’s in the team for long we’ll be leaking goals every week 
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Not under Jackson...

You missed my point.

I agree - But surely it makes life easier for Strikers knowing that they've got players in defence behind them who'll keep the ball out of the net... At the moment we've got forward players who cant afford to miss a single effort on goal, because the opposition will waltz through our back line.

That pressure equally needs to be taken away from the Strikers...?
    I would accept that were it not for the fact they are crap strikers, That is a little harsh, Burstow simply isn't ready. He may well learn a lot playing at this time but why are we teaching him for somebody else's benefit. 

The thing is, that chance in the first half, I knew Burstow would kick it first time at the defender even though he was just in front of him. I can see how he plays. Now if that was Lee he would try to make an angle around the dfender or even beat him. He may not have done so, but that is how you score in that situation. Burstow is a bit too much like an U-23 player which is fair enough because that is what he is and one with a lot of potential at that. But we are better off without him at this time.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    msomerton said:
    Jackson should have put a side out that can park the bus. And please stop playing out from the back we do not have the players capable of doing it.
    What’s the alternative, go long? To who? If we go long we’ll have to put a centre back up there to have a chance of winning the ball.
    Oh god, now I'm having flashbacks to the time we played Phil Chapple up front.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

You do realise that they are Wimbledon dont you.