Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 22 February 2022

Comments

• Options
    We lost

Badly.

Again.

Matthews, why?
  • Options
    Last night reminded me of one of those (All of ours) Cup games against a higher team, where we huff and puff, but they always seem to have enough, a higher gear to take them through. All whilst we create very little.

I fully accept that our squad is light, but during years when we've put a run together, goals are coming from all over the pitch, particularly midfield. Don't know the stats, but I wonder what the percentage of goals is from midfield this season compared to a promotion season. 
  • Options
    No words on the match or anything because clearly 80% of this squad are not anywhere near good enough.

Sitting at the airport before going to Prague and thinking what could the team possibly be on Saturday?!

It’s awful but the best I can come up with is…

MacGillivray
    Jaiyesimi Inniss Lavelle Famewo Purrington
    Dobson
    Gilbey John Morgan
    Lee

5-4-1 or a 5-5-0 with Lee as a false 9.

Leave no spaces in the middle. If they want the ball out wide, let them and defend between the width of the box and the posts.

Flood the midfield, show some fight and spirit and hope that we get a set piece that one of the centre backs can get on the end of.
  • Options
    Lacking strikers and key players might explain the bad results, but not the constant individual bad performances that so many put in week in, week out imo. Also shouldn't explain the lack of cohesion that seems to be there every game.

• Options
    Not too much more to say on the match that hasn’t already been said, these performances are absolutely pathetic.

One thing that struck me whilst I was witnessing the debacle was how odd it must be being a MK Dons fan. I don’t hate them, in fact I probably prefer them to AFC Wimbledon these days, but supporting a team that was just invented out of thin air a couple of decades ago, with no history or culture to use as reference points must feel very hollow. I wonder what they thought when they looked at their ticket last night and it read “Jimmy Seed Stand” or they looked to their right and saw the name ontop of the Alan Curbishley stand. 
  • Options
    Can I ask why we give a shit about attendance figures ? 

I would imagine the real issue is more about whats on the pitch than who isnt....
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Not too much more to say on the match that hasn’t already been said, these performances are absolutely pathetic.

One thing that struck me whilst I was witnessing the debacle was how odd it must be being a MK Dons fan. I don’t hate them, in fact I probably prefer them to AFC Wimbledon these days, but supporting a team that was just invented out of thin air a couple of decades ago, with no history or culture to use as reference points must feel very hollow. I wonder what they thought when they looked at their ticket last night and it read “Jimmy Seed Stand” or they looked to their right and saw the name ontop of the Alan Curbishley stand. 
    Tbf MK is supposedly the original Wimbledon and AFC were the ones created later
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awful display from a team that will struggle to stay up.
    There were times in the second half we should of brought another ball on just for us. 
    In the 40 odd year, I've been supporting, there must have been some really bad performances but last night must be up there with the worse of them.
    Totally disjointed and clueless. Franchise FC looked much the better side.
    Hopefully we will stay up and draw a line under this embarrassment of a season.  
  • Options
    Awful display from a team that will struggle to stay up.
    There were times in the second half we should of brought another ball on just for us. 
    In the 40 odd year, I've been supporting, there must have been some really bad performances but last night must be up there with the worse of them.
    Totally disjointed and clueless. Franchise FC looked much the better side.
    Hopefully we will stay up and draw a line under this embarrassment of a season.  
    The most depressing thing last night was the atmosphere or lack of it. As soon as we went behind nobody expected us to fight...
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I would imagine the real issue is more about whats on the pitch than who isnt....
    A full stadium would suggest fans are happy with what's on the pitch. 
    Pretty obvious but the point is that there is too much about over inflated figures etc.

Whats the point? 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Pretty obvious but the point is that there is too much about over inflated figures etc.

Whats the point? 
    TS done a recent survey and found 69800000 out 72000000 people thought there was a point
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Croydon said:

Whats the point? 
    It’s a pretty useful indication of satisfaction (or not) amongst the fan base. Social media, forums etc can distort your perception of how people are feeling but attendance numbers don’t lie.

Additionally, as the club have been publishing wildly misleading attendance figures recently it’s not surprising that they’ve become a topic of discussion. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    To have some perspective, it was always going to be a tall order given the injuries and the level of opposition.  However, even with 2 of the 3 forwards at our disposal, I have to say, it’s not a game we’re winning.  I see comments like ‘Jackson has never lost when he’s started Aneke & Stockley, or Washington & Stockley’.  It’s the same desperate crap we used to come out with last season about getting Inniss and Famewo back.

What is it going to take for the ‘it’ll be alright when X is back’ or ‘we’re just a few players short of promotion’ brigade to realise we’re f***** with this squad.  So many players are just crap.  Finally good to see so many highlight how crap Gilbey is.  Got a massively unwarranted fanbase off the back of a few goals last season and that run under Adkins, but he’s a weak and tepid footballer with no end product.  I sometimes wonder if I just don’t understand football when I see people saying Morgan will come good, or Gilbey just needs better around him.  

We’re a squad of largely crap players who aren’t showing any fight.  Leko.  Everything about him says, I’ll go on to play club football in Malta.  This is just going to turn into an incoherent ramble of anger, with very little constructive to say, so I’ll close it here.  Just an absolute shower of cabbages.  

Go get the guitar.
    We all have different perspectives, I think Gilbey could play better with better around him but I think Morgan is unlikely to come good. At least as good as we need him to be. The lad is giving his all to be fair.

I might be right, I might be wrong. Ultimately, we need Jacko to be right in his judgements, whatever they are.
    I was probably a bit harsh in my wording and it was your comment re: having Stockley and Aneke that I was referring to.  Apologies, never meant to dig you out.  You’re right, it’s all about perspectives and mine are no more valid than yours.  I think I’m just fed up with all things Charlton at the moment, and seeing comments that put a positive slant on it when you’re just not in that way of thinking set me off.  As ValleyGary said, it’s not about this turning into us digging one another out.  That’s the last thing it should be.

I’ll try and not let it fire me up as much come Saturday (I hope).  Still woken up this morning though wanting them all out the club :-) 
  • Options
    Jeez that Lewington fella!

I think I've seen him play more games at the Valley than half the Charlton team.  He even had time tonight to coach young Burstow in how to manage his injury.
    With such a poor Charlton performance in front of us, it hurts to say it but that little cameo with Burstow in front of the East Stand was my moment of the match. He’s been a pain in the neck to us over the years but respect for his stamina, his professionalism and loyalty … even if has been to MK Dons 
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Davo55 said:
    Croydon said:
    Davo55 said:
    I don't understand why Elliott Lee is getting criticism on here. He was one of our better players when he came on; showing for the ball, turning his defender, creating pressure and opportunities. Seems to be a bit of a habit to dig out the same players every match regardless of the reality of what happened.
    Zero end product. He's Jonny Williams with hair
    Not tonight. He did more than anyone else in a Charlton shirt, attack wise. That's my point - people criticise him out of habit rather than taking each performance on it's merits.
    To be fair, the adulation this clown got from the start rather than taking each performance on its own merits was also embarrassing.
    Fair point. He benefitted from the fond memories we have of his dad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like Jackson is like Maggie Thatch.....not for turning.

As for preparing for the match & knowing MK like to play balls through - this happens in matches & you are never going to stop a team from creating chances. You just have to be able to do the same. Sadly we dont have the players to create many chances & last night Matthews (I think) put in the best cross that no one got a touch to (1st half) and Morgan 2nd half (when Burstow missed from 3 yards). 2 chances in 90 mins isn't going to win you games.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:

Tbf MK is supposedly the original Wimbledon and AFC were the ones created later
    Totally agree, although I feel @se9addick was alluding to the fact that MK dont have a history as they have only been MK for 20 years & so cant really name one of their stands after Wally Downs or Vinny Jones !
  • Options
    You know you're losing interest, when the first time you check the score is 8am the morning after a game.
  • Options
    I said it in the match thread, but Curbs and Brownie also mentioned it so I'll mention it again. 

When as defenders you're being told to use Albie Morgan as an example of how to get back and get your bodies in front of shots, you have to know you're not doing your job well enough. It's Albie's weakest part of his game and you're being asked to at least replicate that!  
  • Options
    I didn’t go last night, I didn’t watch on a stream and I didn’t follow on here. I went out about 5 had a few beers came home about 10, forgot we were playing and only remembered to check the result this morning.

This is the only time in the last 59 years iv ever forgotten we were playing and did not know the result on the day of the game.  

The club needs to worry ! As I’m sure I’m not alone in the level of dis engagement that I’m starting to feel.