Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 22 February 2022

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    To have some perspective, it was always going to be a tall order given the injuries and the level of opposition.  However, even with 2 of the 3 forwards at our disposal, I have to say, it’s not a game we’re winning.  I see comments like ‘Jackson has never lost when he’s started Aneke & Stockley, or Washington & Stockley’.  It’s the same desperate crap we used to come out with last season about getting Inniss and Famewo back.

What is it going to take for the ‘it’ll be alright when X is back’ or ‘we’re just a few players short of promotion’ brigade to realise we’re f***** with this squad.  So many players are just crap.  Finally good to see so many highlight how crap Gilbey is.  Got a massively unwarranted fanbase off the back of a few goals last season and that run under Adkins, but he’s a weak and tepid footballer with no end product.  I sometimes wonder if I just don’t understand football when I see people saying Morgan will come good, or Gilbey just needs better around him.  

We’re a squad of largely crap players who aren’t showing any fight.  Leko.  Everything about him says, I’ll go on to play club football in Malta.  This is just going to turn into an incoherent ramble of anger, with very little constructive to say, so I’ll close it here.  Just an absolute shower of cabbages.  

Go get the guitar.
    We all have different perspectives, I think Gilbey could play better with better around him but I think Morgan is unlikely to come good. At least as good as we need him to be. The lad is giving his all to be fair.

I might be right, I might be wrong. Ultimately, we need Jacko to be right in his judgements, whatever they are.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    We were doing OK until Matthews let his player run past him - he has been at fault now for 4 goals in 3 games and Jackson keeps playing him - the worse defender that I have seen pull on a Charlton shirt !! The guy can’t tackle and has no interest in the game . We were playing well until he came back In The side ! 
    Yet when Matthews gave away the first goal, the guy alongside me shouted at me that Matthews had been our best player and the bloke in front offered me his spectacles.

Some of our fans clearly can't see properly. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    All talk of not having players for a manager’s system is witless balls
    If injuries etc deprive the manager of any system he has to adapt
    anything else is egomaniacal lunacy 
    square pegs in round holes is suicidal stupidity 
    how many goals have we conceded in this period?
    add in his tolerance of shirking freeloaders and we get turned over by moderate plodders
    JJ’s part of the problem 
    the only players earning any credit are Dobson and Burstow. The rest are past it, inept or just plain taking the piss
    The absence of Stockers and Washington is keenly felt but barely a quarter of the problem 

with those twats out there tonight they’d have got no service
    We’ve seen some shitty sides piss about and let us down in recent years but we had the toxic arsehole owner to blame
    This  lot don’t have that disguise
    This lot are a rag tag rabble led by inadequate management 
    Sandgaard’s got an unpleasant and ever more expensive period coming if he’s gonna oversee any upturn in fortunes 
    Fingers crossed there’s enough dross in this division to plug the bottom before we fall through it
    I fucking resent dragging my carcass an hour and a half southwest and the same back again to have the piss ripped out of me by those wankers twice in 4 days
    I second this 

Jackson stubbornly making a difficult situation much worse for himself 

#StopTheWingbackMisery 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Croydon said:
    Davo55 said:
    I don't understand why Elliott Lee is getting criticism on here. He was one of our better players when he came on; showing for the ball, turning his defender, creating pressure and opportunities. Seems to be a bit of a habit to dig out the same players every match regardless of the reality of what happened.
    Zero end product. He's Jonny Williams with hair
    Not tonight. He did more than anyone else in a Charlton shirt, attack wise. That's my point - people criticise him out of habit rather than taking each performance on it's merits.
    He still had zero end product. 0 shots on or off target, 1 tame cross straight into the keeper's hands

• Options
    At the risk of repeating what I said on Saturday, any team would struggle after losing their 3 main strikers, and a couple of other creative players in Fraser and CBT.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't make yourself hard to beat, and at the moment defensively it's unacceptable. We've changed the players, but the same mistakes are being made, which makes you question the system and coaching.

Add to the powerpuff attack and leaky defence, hopelessly brittle confidence, and it's a recipe for disaster. We actually played okish in the first half, we at least pressed more and created a couple of half chances, but it was only a matter of time before we conceded, and once that happened we looked a beaten side already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    Croydon said:
    Davo55 said:
    I don't understand why Elliott Lee is getting criticism on here. He was one of our better players when he came on; showing for the ball, turning his defender, creating pressure and opportunities. Seems to be a bit of a habit to dig out the same players every match regardless of the reality of what happened.
    Zero end product. He's Jonny Williams with hair
    Not tonight. He did more than anyone else in a Charlton shirt, attack wise. That's my point - people criticise him out of habit rather than taking each performance on it's merits.
    To be fair, the adulation this clown got from the start rather than taking each performance on its own merits was also embarrassing.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    To have some perspective, it was always going to be a tall order given the injuries and the level of opposition.  However, even with 2 of the 3 forwards at our disposal, I have to say, it’s not a game we’re winning.  I see comments like ‘Jackson has never lost when he’s started Aneke & Stockley, or Washington & Stockley’.  It’s the same desperate crap we used to come out with last season about getting Inniss and Famewo back.

What is it going to take for the ‘it’ll be alright when X is back’ or ‘we’re just a few players short of promotion’ brigade to realise we’re f***** with this squad.  So many players are just crap.  Finally good to see so many highlight how crap Gilbey is.  Got a massively unwarranted fanbase off the back of a few goals last season and that run under Adkins, but he’s a weak and tepid footballer with no end product.  I sometimes wonder if I just don’t understand football when I see people saying Morgan will come good, or Gilbey just needs better around him.  

We’re a squad of largely crap players who aren’t showing any fight.  Leko.  Everything about him says, I’ll go on to play club football in Malta.  This is just going to turn into an incoherent ramble of anger, with very little constructive to say, so I’ll close it here.  Just an absolute shower of cabbages.  

Go get the guitar.
    We all have different perspectives, I think Gilbey could play better with better around him but I think Morgan is unlikely to come good. At least as good as we need him to be. The lad is giving his all to be fair.

I’d suggest that it's a midfielder's job to bring out the best of those around him, not rely on others to do it for him. Look at Dobson, he’s still doing his thing even when he’s surrounded by tripe. If Gilbey isn’t a strong enough player to stand out while on a pitch with a bunch of losers, he’s just a loser himself. 

• Options
    Crowd of 8807, mk 605. Wow? Real numbers? I assume no missing season ticket holders included. Reality of how bad our season is?
    Not that far off what we have often had in midweek in L1, but usually disguised from fans by counting absentee ticket holders.

There were quite a few organised groups of teenagers tonight. Obviously lots of unused comps too, but without them I think the gate may have been under 8,000.
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    cabbles said:
    Also, if Aneke is out injured again for a long period, then the levels of incompetence in re-signing him are through the roof.  3 and a half year deal as well.  We’ll get about a year’s football out of those 3 and a half.  The Aneke equation.  One month’s football for every 3 he’s contracted.  
    If anyone wants an example why our recruitment is absolutely clueless.... this.

Incredible we resigned him. And on three-and-a-half years!!! 
    I'm the end I get why we resigned him, granted a 3.5 year deal widened my eyes knowing what I know but also we had no Stockley and were showing no signs of going for anyone proven or more likely the owners of the proven goal scorers were asking for January money and TS wasn't prepared to do that. The likely loans have already got clubs so we were left in a tough predicament. For me, assuming he stays on the bench he is the ultimate sub in this league but it isn't a massive call to say he's not going to be making the starting eleven given his body isn't up to that. 

The summer killed us, we saw it last season, reliant on hoping players come good/get fit and we seriously need to understand that in this league you firstly need a physically robust squad, 90 minute players who can follow simple instructions and sprinkle the fairy dust over that in terms of quality or luxury players but the nucleus has to be strong, robust, fit. 

Dobson and Clare I think fit into that mould, as does Lavelle (never had a big infirmary spell until he played for us before anyone points out he's been out most the season) 

I think you can have 1 of Lee, Gilbey, Morgan starting a game 

The way we play a back 3 if all the squad is fit isn't the worst but it has to be balanced like Purrington one side and DJ the other with someone like Clare as the right sided centre half so we can teselate into a narrower shape if need be. If we don't have the players to play that way then do something else to outgun and outman the midfield. Be that going into a diamond or going with 1 up front but we absolutely have to win the midfield battles every game, we don't have the defence to not win the midfield battle and we definitely don't have the keeper to win us points if the defence have an off day 

And then once we have made these signings that I speak of, these lesser known but functional players we can dip into the loan market and hopefully find a Troy Parrott or a midfield magician hiding in Leicesters under 23 squad but we need to be reliant on our owned players first and reliant on them to complete 2 games in a week playing at an intensity that is above average else we will remain in this league again. 

• Options
    paulg1947 said:
    He never seems to come out for a ball .Perhaps i am biased. but where is Brewer?
    On loan up in Scotland
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Are we at the Powell/ Bowyer stage of "you're not proper Charlton"/ "Name a replacement then!!!!!" yet...?

Adkins - bad result - top 6 side - Adkins out
    Jackson - bad result - bottom league one side - players out.

🙃

As posted earlier, we didn't look too bad for the most part last night but never threatening either, yes our 3 main forwards are out but let's not kid ourselves, we wasn't exactly playing teams off the park and smashing goals in for fun 3 weeks ago when we still had Washington and Aneke, or before Stockley broke, and, dare I say it, during Jacksons caretaker spell. 

The shake up, formation change and most importantly extra % the players were giving back then was papering over cracks and square pegs but getting us results we needed. Fast forward to now and the extra lack of trying is showing up the lack of quality and exposing weaknesses... 

Jackson, like Adkins, isn't completely to blame for the current failings, but, like Adkins, he ain't offering much of a solution either. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are we cutting him any slack for having his strikers out ?  Not Chuks - he’s a crock , but the others. 
  • Options
    Are we at the Powell/ Bowyer stage of "you're not proper Charlton"/ "Name a replacement then!!!!!" yet...?

Adkins - bad result - top 6 side - Adkins out
    Jackson - bad result - bottom league one side - players out.

🙃

As posted earlier, we didn't look too bad for the most part last night but never threatening either, yes our 3 main forwards are out but let's not kid ourselves, we wasn't exactly playing teams off the park and smashing goals in for fun 3 weeks ago when we still had Washington and Aneke, or before Stockley broke, and, dare I say it, during Jacksons caretaker spell. 

The shake up, formation change and most importantly extra % the players were giving back then was papering over cracks and square pegs but getting us results we needed. Fast forward to now and the extra lack of trying is showing up the lack of quality and exposing weaknesses... 

Jackson, like Adkins, isn't completely to blame for the current failings, but, like Adkins, he ain't offering much of a solution either. 

Spot on. We were playing uninspiring stuff when we had strikers fit. Edged a few wins against some poor sides, and now getting our comeuppance.
  • Options
    We have probably had the players last couple of years, just haven’t had the management or the coaches. Time to face up to it and have a complete shake up. Having watched Charlton play through the 60s and the 70s I became very used to watching them lose. But, they always made an effort, always scored some goals. Would never miss a game even when we were at the bottom of the league. Can’t face it at the moment. 
  • Options
    Shows how bad it is - didn't buy the stream last night (first time I've missed a streamed game) and only checked the result this morning.
    We are in the brown stuff and I'm not sure TS has the funds to get us out of it - a complete shake-up of the squad will not come cheap.

Still, Cheltenham to look forward to and the cricket season won't be long in starting.

• Options
    boggzy said:
    Hate to say it but 6/4 MK Dons with that CAFC line-up was like printing money.

Dunno realistically where we go from here.
    …..it was 7/4 in play with Skybet just before they scored. I’m furious with myself that I didn’t lump on and recover my season ticket money!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Football-wise it's lowest I've felt as a Charlton fan. 

Teams are coming to The Valley and just taking the piss. I've always identified with us being a team that are workmanlike, brave and hard to beat, even when we have bad players. Now we have bad players who are none of those things

I’ll be honest, bar a brief period under Powell who sought those characteristics, I don’t think we’ve identified as that since Curbs and Lennie days. The complete opposite I think. 
    Which is why we've been shite for years after losing sight of these attributes.