Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 22 February 2022

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    boggzy said:
    Re JJ and 'he's responsible'/'he isn't responsible' - I think the truth could lie somewhere in between, only going on what we've all seen.

Maybe the wing-back thing is something that *has* to be done (for whatever reason), and maybe players are vetoed by people who are utterly clueless. 

Not that excuses him from his player choices and subs. Maybe he just wants out.

Like everything regarding this football club (and probably all others), as punters we will never really know. 
    This is baseless, though. First it was "Adkins is being forced to play the 4-2-3-1" but then that went out the window when JJ took over and played whatever formation he wanted. He's already gone into detail about why he likes the 3-5-2 and that was from his first real interview.

Surely if Sandgaard was going to force JJ to play anything, it would be a formation that fits the players he spent money on - wingers.
    Yep, fair point. It's so poor all round at every level of the club, I'm really not sure what to make of any of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Wow Aneke and Stockley both long term really. 

It was so obvious seeing Aneke play 90 mins aftee 90 mins, years after being 'managed'. Poor management from us.
  • Options
    Midfield let us down the most. Gilbey and Morgan are so powderpuff it's unreal and they don't work nowhere near hard enough out of possession hence why Dobbo was breathing out his arse when subbed. Gilbey also has the first touch of a baby hippo.

Thought Castillo did okay as did Gunter. Dont think MK Don's were great but certainly did what they needed too. 

I like Jacko and want him desperately to do well but this formation isn't working and we need a change, having an idea is great but being to stubborn to change will bite him on the arse.

At the moment it's just so so poor. Need this season done with.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Jackson should have put a side out that can park the bus. And please stop playing out from the back we do not have the players capable of doing it.
    What’s the alternative, go long? To who? If we go long we’ll have to put a centre back up there to have a chance of winning the ball.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Independent ratings from FotMob and WhoScored.

How have both made MacG the worst player? 
    Because he made 1 save and conceded 2 goals?

Or was it that he made 4 accurate passes out of 22 and completed 3 out of 18 long balls? Hard to say.

Here are his stats Vs the Mk keeper

• Options
    Said we should have made Euell manager and not Jackson. 
    We'd still be in the same predicament with major players missing...
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    You have set pieces and maybe if you are lucky a midfelder can nick a goal. It isn't ideal but all the goals we have in the squad are f*ing out. At least try to stop the opposition. They got through us two times before they scored. And it looked like they weren't right, it was just we couldn't punish them. Focus on stopping that if scoring a goal is like winning the lottery.
  • Options
    Said we should have made Euell manager and not Jackson. 
    We'd still be in the same predicament with major players missing...
    As with the formation change that’s now getting called for.

JJ can switch to whatever formation you like we’ll still be a group of uninterested players with no forward old enough to buy booze.
  • Options
    We lost to two goals from two wing backs!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think tonight was all about our missing strikers if we had Stockley and Washington tonight we would have won .. first half nothing between the sides decent display by the reds but one moment of hesitation from Matthews and we are one down …second half Burstow misses another guilt edge chance … and McG makes a great only fir the ball to fall to their striker who scores …. Tonight we kept battling and trying but without experienced strikers its impossible .

Burstow goes of injured and we end with DJ and Lee uk front that tells the story of tonight .. Mk Dons showed their confidence passing the ball around .
    What else can JJ do my only moan he should have given Campbell and Kanu longer 
    But we've lost games this season with Stockley & Washington playing. And with Washington & Aneke playing. 

And I'm sure I keep being told that clean sheets win League titles......so missing your strikers shouldnt be a problem

Or have I been right all along that goals are important. 🙂
  • Options
    I noticed Terry Smith thought Burstow was good in the first half. Is it only me that can see he isn't ready, even when we don't have any strikers. At least Lee came on and played with a purpose.
    No, I suggested the same quite a few games ago. There’s a lot of improvements required. Obvious potential. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jacko hasn't lost a game with Stockley and Washington or Stockley and Aneke playing. I think we would have won tonight with Stockley and Aneke or Washington. I am pretty certain of it in fact.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Or was it that he made 4 accurate passes out of 22 and completed 3 out of 18 long balls? Hard to say.

He was worse than his MK opponent, but that's the case for ALL our team tonight...
  • Options
    Think tonight was all about our missing strikers if we had Stockley and Washington tonight we would have won .. first half nothing between the sides decent display by the reds but one moment of hesitation from Matthews and we are one down …second half Burstow misses another guilt edge chance … and McG makes a great only fir the ball to fall to their striker who scores …. Tonight we kept battling and trying but without experienced strikers its impossible .

Burstow goes of injured and we end with DJ and Lee uk front that tells the story of tonight .. Mk Dons showed their confidence passing the ball around .
    But we've lost games this season with Stockley & Washington playing. And with Washington & Aneke playing. 

And I'm sure I keep being told that clean sheets win League titles......so missing your strikers shouldnt be a problem

Not under Jackson...

And as for clean sheets not being important, are you not watching the games?

We're fucking clueless the moment the opposition stick the ball into our net

We could have Haaland and Mbappe out there and it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference
  • Options
    In 2003 we beat Liverpool at home in the Prem, in 2022 MK Dons complete the double over us in L1. Fuck me. 
  • Options
    And for people saying that we are missing Fraser......he's played all of about 30 mins in his Charlton career. 

Our main problem atm is that we are letting in goals......too many & too often. We need to start scoring-  get a lead and hang onto it. I won't go into the stats when we concede first......
  • Options
    Poor performance. Even though we are seriously hurt by the number of injuries to our key players I hope the manager can embed some form of siege mentality to get us through the next few games.

Going to avoid reading Twitter and, to a lesser extent, CharltonLife, too closely for a while as the level of vitriol between some fans is quite depressing. Gallows humour goes hand in hand with supporting Charlton but digging out fellow sufferers isn’t going to do anything to raise the mood.
  • Options
    Why did we bother signing Aneke again 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

He was worse than his MK opponent, but that's the case for ALL our team tonight...
    He can't really compare him to Harness though 😉
  • Options
    And Wednesday will be well rested for Saturday! Great!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jacko hasn't lost a game with Stockley and Washington or Stockley and Aneke playing. I think we would have won tonight with Stockley and Aneke or Washington. I am pretty certain of it in fact.
    It's all meaningless. Remember that season we were going to never concede, easily get promoted if Innis and Famewo did not get injured. 

These things never solve themselves or fall perfectly.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    We are totally exposed every season to varying degrees by losing key players and that has to be addressed in the summer. I think we seem to be more exposed than other clubs so it is a question that needs asking why it is. Some you are just unlucky with but others are crocks. Maybe that is the issue. And we are too reliant on too few players for goals. Personally I think it might be easier to fix than people think, but Jacko needs to be ruthless like Powell was before that title winning season.
  • Options
    I think we need to be clear, as much as it’s a fucker the injuries we have right now, we really haven’t been good enough all season even with those players. Let’s not sugar coat things and make excuses. Collectively as a club it’s been way below what’s expected, this season we’ve not been the ADDICKS, we’ve been the jellyfish!!! No fucking backbone!!🤣
  • Options
    Dobson playing the opposition mainly by himself for about the 5th game running. 

We were waiting to be beaten from the KO. 

We need about 10 first teamers and I regret to say a capable manager. 
  • Options
    Surely we can recall Davison?
    Sheffield Wednesday must be quaking in their boots.
    To be truthful the MKD fans were very good, their team were decent...although they have a mistake or two in them nonetheless.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I don't understand why Elliott Lee is getting criticism on here. He was one of our better players when he came on; showing for the ball, turning his defender, creating pressure and opportunities. Seems to be a bit of a habit to dig out the same players every match regardless of the reality of what happened.
    Zero end product. He's Jonny Williams with hair
  • Options

Not under Jackson...

And as for clean sheets not being important, are you not watching the games?

We're fucking clueless the moment the opposition stick the ball into our net

We could have Haaland and Mbappe out there and it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference
    You missed my point.

Everyone is moaning that we dont have any strikers. But previously when I've mentioned our general lack of firepower I keep being told that it starts at the back. So missing 3 strikers shouldnt matter if we are keeping clean sheets.

So is it a defensive problem or a lack of striker problem.

Also- I have no idea of the stats but I see how you conveniently said that we haven't lost under Jackson with Stockley/Wash or Wash/Aneke, so I assume we did under Adkins. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I thought they were rubbish and would have been beaten if we had any players who can take a chance in the side. Sadly we don't and it is all too hopeful. Yes they were much better in the second half but their first half performance would have been punished by a lot of sides.