Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• .AFKABartram said:
    Swisdom said:
    Tucker has gone elsewhere - oh well move down the list.  That’s why we don’t put all our eggs in one basket

MKDons we’re offering him a good package as far back as our Ipswich game

theyve been on his trail for as long as we have and are, as painful as it is to admit, ahead of us at present by about a season.

on to the next
    So is the polite way of saying they offered a better contract than we did? 
    Maybe they did. Maybe they have a priority for a position that they were prepared to pay more to fill.
    I would guess that we have a broad idea how much it will cost to fill each positions we need, with two or three key areas a priority. We need to concentrate on those.
    We would have probably signed Tucker if Gillingham were asking a realistic amount of compensation (bearing in mind Skully hates us), and that the player himself was happy with the contract. I would guess the Gills would be asking at least £200k + a sell on fee of at least +20% + promotion and appearance money.
    If it was going to cost more than our valuation we would quite rightly just step aside if it would then mean missing out on a priority target. A right footed CH is not a priority IMO, and even if it where, who is to say that we could not fill it with a loan or a free agent?
    We also have up and coming players in that position with Elewere and Harris O’Conner.

Recruitment is such a difficult job with all the judgment calls that need to be made. I trust SG and the team to get more right than wrong.

p.s wouldn’t you love to be there as a fly on the wall? Must be fascinating.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    At at the end of the day whether we were in for him or not, he’s gone elsewhere, that happens, move on!!  If he was available and wanted to play for us he would have, he obviously didn’t. Doesn’t mean our recruitment team have done a shit job, it means we’ve missed out, or was never happening anyway. I look forward to welcoming players that WANT to play for us.
    Do you know any because I don't.  
    And that’s the point, just because you don’t , doesn’t mean anything. 
    So you don't either 🤔 
    Of course I don’t, but I’m patiently waiting to see who we do get, stop being a dickhead🙄
  • I'm hoping Naby's advisers get realistic. I'd have him over Tucker any day of the week. Also, it may betray my current football philosophy, and not be how we want to set up, but I picture Innis, Lavelle, Sarr and Stockley up for a corner or set piece and it feels orgasmic. I'll get my coat.
    Why would having Naby up for a corner exite you?
    As far as I recall he only scored once from a corner for us, even that with his feet.
    Pearcey was more threatening than Naby from corners.
  • _MrDick said:
    I am reliably informed that Jack Tucker got very confused when he met both the Charlton Manager and the MKD Manager. He thought Ben Garner was going to be his new manager 🤔🙄

Not sure who that is with Tucker (definitely uncanny), but its not Liam Manning.
  • _MrDick said:
    I am reliably informed that Jack Tucker got very confused when he met both the Charlton Manager and the MKD Manager. He thought Ben Garner was going to be his new manager 🤔🙄

Did nobody tell him he’s the one with the perm!!!🙄
  • It will be interesting to see how Garner rates Kirk, I would have thought he’d be an admirer…

He ticked all the boxes when we signed him and most fans were excited 

Under mr positive Adkins he flopped and JJ loaned him out - I saw Him play against Lincoln and he got shrugged of the ball and his first touch had gone, nowhere to be seen.  Chasing back had gone missing aswell 

Surely he has potential to be a better player than - let’s say someone like Williams 

• Sponsored links:

• If we are looking for ball playing defenders then maybe Deji will be part of our plans this season as he fits that plan pretty well
  • So is this Gallen the master negotiator again?
    I know that you're being facetious so this isn't directed at you as such but the level on entitlement in our fanbase is incredible. I think it is more of an internet thing than a Charlton thing, back before rolling Twitter rumours we used to be happy just to hear that Curbs had passed Julian Gray in Sainsburys. The idea that we should get absolutely every player we go in for and if we don't then our season is lost is exhausting though. Tucker was a free agent. That means he would have had a far higher level of interest than a player a team needed to bid for would. By the sounds of it a few Championship teams had a look and decided not to go for him, either because they didn't think he was good enough for that step up or because he wanted too much money for the level he's at. He's ended up going to the team who are at this point probably best equipped to go up to the Championship from League One. We're a work in progress but it's easier to join an established squad when you've got a lot of options. They probably were able to offer him more money because they only need to make a few signings this season. We need to make about 600; we can't spend the whole budget on Jack Tucker's wage demands. Regardless though, some players choose your team and some don't. We were beneficiaries of this when Taylor chose us over Sunderland and Stockley chose us over Portsmouth. Players are people and they'll make their own decisions, deciding they don't want to play for Charlton because they don't like Charlton as much as we do doesn't have to mean our whole season is up in flames. Not securing every target we're interested in doesn't have to mean that we're skint and heading for relegation. I think everyone just needs a pint (maybe give it a few hours though)
    Yes I was being flippant towards people on the Internet thinking they are able to make a judgement comparable to the professional holding that position on something they are basing on knowledge they have got from other people on the Internet who themselves have only got the information from people on the Internet who have seen someone on the Internet mention it: these same people then feed back to the club via various online platforms.(ranting on Twitter).
    Its like a form of attempted fan-micro management.
  • edited June 2022
    RedRobin said:
    It will not surprise me if we get Dion Conroy, Swindon’s captain last season, ex Chelsea academy player and can apparently play a bit. He’s turned down a new contract and is a free agent. Only 26 so fits the bill. 
    I thought he looked fantastic in the play offs, carried the ball so well out of defence and had excellent passing, 

if you read Swindon fans opinions of him though he’s crap apparently haha

another centre back worth looking at from league 2 is Eoghan O’Connell from Rochdale, something stupid like 85-90% success defensive interception rate and can run with and pass the ball. Compared to Tucker for example he had a 77.5% pass success rate to Jacks 59.5%. He also attempted almost two more long balls than him per game which means he isn’t just sideways passing it. Quite interesting actually that Conroy and Reed both are at the top of long ball success in league2 last season. Maybe Garner does like to switch it up 

Interesting points mate, think Conroy fits the mould and will be a cheap option. Not heard of O’ Connell but the stats don’t lie, he might be on the list. I think we will be shopping in league 2 this summer, lots of players with potential to step up a level or two. 

I also think BG will want to see what he has at his disposal in the academy, I really rate Lucas Ness and he suits the ball playing CB, we’ve also got Deji, who is very comfortable on the ball. Can also see Aaron Henry break through along with Kanu. 
  • Question is, how many Bens will we sign? Got to be one at least. 
    And will we be able to dig another Smith/Smyth up from somewhere?
    And will it be Magnificent Monday, or supa dupa Tuesday?

(Sorry, the boredom is getting to me). 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Question is, how many Bens will we sign? Got to be one at least. 
    And will we be able to dig another Smith/Smyth up from somewhere?
    And will it be Magnificent Monday, or supa dupa Tuesday?

(Sorry, the boredom is getting to me). 
    Well if not, it'll be "Where the hell are they?" Wednesday!
  • Our academy players need slowly introducing into the rough and tumble and shithousery of League 1.

Crewe's side last year were babies and they got beat most weeks, apart from that Cold Tuesday night where I watched us get turned over....
  • AndyG said:
    If we are looking for ball playing defenders then maybe Deji will be part of our plans this season as he fits that plan pretty well

This has been my thoughts but in this crazy you're only as good as your last 45 minutes and one bad pass and "he's not all that" makes it difficult for young players. He did have an injury which halted his early promise last season but I would believe he fits the profile of the Ben Garner template.

I have known about Deji journey since he was a kid and he has potential not only to be the CB who can run with the ball and open up space and play the angles but he also unfortunately while we remain a third tier club could emulate Mason Burstow and leave too soon.

• I'm hoping Naby's advisers get realistic. I'd have him over Tucker any day of the week. Also, it may betray my current football philosophy, and not be how we want to set up, but I picture Innis, Lavelle, Sarr and Stockley up for a corner or set piece and it feels orgasmic. I'll get my coat.
    I’m picturing the same thing, except the corner fails to clear the man on the near post 
  • AndyG said:
    If we are looking for ball playing defenders then maybe Deji will be part of our plans this season as he fits that plan pretty well

This has been my thoughts but in this crazy you're only as good as your last 45 minutes and one bad pass and "he's not all that" makes it difficult for young players. He did have an injury which halted his early promise last season but I would believe he fits the profile of the Ben Garner template.

I have known about Deji journey since he was a kid and he has potential not only to be the CB who can run with the ball and open up space and play the angles but he also unfortunately while we remain a third tier club could emulate Mason Burstow and leave too soon.

If we don't take a chance on him and Kanu in the next season, then before we know it their contracts will be up within a year. 
  • _MrDick said:

Not sure who that is with Tucker (definitely uncanny), but its not Liam Manning.
    It was a ‘I am Spartacus Moment’

Ben Garner : I’m Ben Garner

Bald bloke from MKD : NO, I’m Ben Garner

Jack Tucker : I’m confused
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    At at the end of the day whether we were in for him or not, he’s gone elsewhere, that happens, move on!!  If he was available and wanted to play for us he would have, he obviously didn’t. Doesn’t mean our recruitment team have done a shit job, it means we’ve missed out, or was never happening anyway. I look forward to welcoming players that WANT to play for us.
    So you don't either 🤔 
    Of course I don’t, but I’m patiently waiting to see who we do get, stop being a dickhead🙄
    Ah, Insults. Always process who wins a debate.  I give in to your superior power to be an inarticulate person. 
    Pot and kettle yet again with you, I suggest you recap your previous posts, you may recall calling someone a dick head in the past!!,. It’s not about winning a debate , I couldn’t give a flying f|~k if someone agrees or not. It’s about people writing what they feel, and I feel like you’re a prick🤷🏻‍♂️
  • When are we going to announce another Matt Smith?
  • PWADDICK said:
    https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1133300977?-11197:833:latest_news
    We’re apparently interested in Sol Bamba
    I'm beggin' of you to retweet Raelynn!
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    So you don't either 🤔 
    Ah, Insults. Always process who wins a debate.  I give in to your superior power to be an inarticulate person. 
    Pot and kettle yet again with you, I suggest you recap your previous posts, you may recall calling someone a dick head in the past!!,. It’s not about winning a debate , I couldn’t give a flying f|~k if someone agrees or not. It’s about people writing what they feel, and I feel like you’re a prick🤷🏻‍♂️
     I can't  find me swearing at you anywhere. If you have back paged to come up with that I suggest  you need a hobby. 
    Meanwhile the only people who want to be at Charlton  so far were sent packing, Purrington and Washington. 
    Fella get yourself a hobby, you are taking things far too seriously.🙄
  • PWADDICK said:
    https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1133300977?-11197:833:latest_news
    We’re apparently interested in Sol Bamba
    Can’t see any truth in this, might as well have offered Pearce a contract in that case.