Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    Just like to point out that two first team transfers through the door is more than the majority of the league have managed so far. 
    And we haven’t spent any money yet.

I really hope that this is the beginning of bringing fans more together as we need to all be heading in the same direction to move forward and out of this poxy league.
    Still lots to do, but suddenly there appears to be a feel good factor developing.
  • I'm now sure we'll sign a left back before we go to Spain, as that's the glaring gap at the moment 
  • I'm now sure we'll sign a left back before we go to Spain, as that's the glaring gap at the moment 
    Don’t wanna sound greedy but I hope so and it would make a lot of sense, back four being the most important area to gel quickly.
  • Jack Payne is an interesting one. Thought he was destined for big things after his break out year for Huddersfield in the season they got promoted from the Championship.

Then got loaned out to Oxford, Blackburn and Bradford who were all League One at the time.

Unsure why he landed in League Two. Had previously proved he could do it in the third tier. A bright spark that fizzled out? Attitude problems? I’m not sure.
  • I guess the people claiming that Ben Garner won’t be in charge of signings can put that one to bed now 
    Guilty 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Jack Payne is an interesting one. Thought he was destined for big things after his break out year for Huddersfield in the season they got promoted from the Championship.

Then got loaned out to Oxford, Blackburn and Bradford who were all League One at the time.

Unsure why he landed in League Two. Had previously proved he could do it in the third tier. A bright spark that fizzled out? Attitude problems? 

Good player though...
  • Thommo said:
    Mandala Egbo
    Classic Charlton spelling!
  • Jack Payne is an interesting one. Thought he was destined for big things after his break out year for Huddersfield in the season they got promoted from the Championship.

Unsure why he landed in League Two. Had previously proved he could do it in the third tier. A bright spark that fizzled out? Attitude problems? I’m not sure.
    Is he being linked then Callum?
  • SOTF said:
    I guess the people claiming that Ben Garner won’t be in charge of signings can put that one to bed now 
    He's not in charge, likewise, he isn't not in charge. He is part of a recruitment team and has the right to veto or recommend targets as Steve Gallen has confirmed.

It really doesn't have to be one or the other where Ben Garner and signings is concerned.
    He has the final say on signings, as Gallen stated in is interview saying it would be ridiculous if he didn’t. 

This is now evident in him signing a centre back he admired from when he played against and a player from the team he just left, I’d say it’s unlikely we sign either of these if Garner isn’t here. 

In a nutshell, people can stop pretending Sandgaard is an evil ruler who won’t let managers sign players now and just get behind the team 
    Whilst i agree it's unlikely we sign them if Garner wasn't here and they're quite likely names Garner added into the mix, he doesn't have the final say.

"The club’s recruiting is done by Garner, Sandgaard, Director of Recruiting, Steve Gallen, and Director of Analytics, Martin Sandgaard, with a range of scouts and analysts supporting them. Sandgaard was asked if Garner has final say on a player coming into the club. He explained: “We all agree on the names and then Steve Gallen picks up the phone and calls the agent. Steve doesn’t even call the agent unless we all agree."

Admittedly i find it bizarre that if the manager is adamant we sign a player, the others could still veto it, but that's where we are. It's probably unlikely though "so there's this guy at Swindon, he was great for me, we must go and sign him". I can't see Sandgaard saying no.

Wouldn’t say no to him, but in Fraser I think we have a similar player who is a level above. Could they play in the same midfield? Swindon had Williams LCM and Payne RCM so maybe it could work in league 1 with Fraser and Payne ahead of Dobson. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I guess the people claiming that Ben Garner won’t be in charge of signings can put that one to bed now 

Heard he was a blackbox signing and Garner thought he was shit, which was why he only played him 6 times
    He only played six times because he joined them late in the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• SOTF said:
    He's not in charge, likewise, he isn't not in charge. He is part of a recruitment team and has the right to veto or recommend targets as Steve Gallen has confirmed.

It really doesn't have to be one or the other where Ben Garner and signings is concerned.
    He has the final say on signings, as Gallen stated in his interview saying it would be ridiculous if he didn’t. 

This is now evident in him signing a centre back he admired from when he played against and a player from the team he just left, I’d say it’s unlikely we sign either of these if Garner isn’t here. 

In a nutshell, people can stop pretending Sandgaard is an evil ruler who won’t let managers sign players now and just get behind the team 
    Garner does not have the final say however I can see another poster has already explained in greater detail.
  • I've finally cracked the algorithm of Martin's black box = Sign players with obscure first names :smile:
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Welcome 01

Now who’s next? 11 o’clock announce one of the Swindon players. Ta. 
    Right. It’s 11am. 

Over to @Ollywozere

Olly? Olly!?!
    Not bad. Cheers mate. Bit late though?

Posted on the wrong thread. Right team, just three hours out. By my standards that’s pretty good. Lol. 
    Love the sound of Mandela Egbo (great name for one thing). We’ve been weak at tight back for some time. 
  • edited June 2022
    redbuttle said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Heard he was a blackbox signing and Garner thought he was shit, which was why he only played him 6 times
    He only played six times because he joined them late in the season. 
    Swindon won 5 of their 6 games after he joined them. Three assists for him. Young, hungry, strong. Garner doesn’t think he’s shit either. 
  • Which of the other linked Swindon players are out of/under contract?

Out of Wollacott, Payne, Reed, McKirdy?

Is it first 2 out of contract, latter 2 still under contract?
  • SOTF said:

He has the final say on signings, as Gallen stated in is interview saying it would be ridiculous if he didn’t. 

Whilst i agree it's unlikely we sign them if Garner wasn't here and they're quite likely names Garner added into the mix, he doesn't have the final say.

"The club’s recruiting is done by Garner, Sandgaard, Director of Recruiting, Steve Gallen, and Director of Analytics, Martin Sandgaard, with a range of scouts and analysts supporting them. Sandgaard was asked if Garner has final say on a player coming into the club. He explained: “We all agree on the names and then Steve Gallen picks up the phone and calls the agent. Steve doesn’t even call the agent unless we all agree."

Admittedly i find it bizarre that if the manager is adamant we sign a player, the others could still veto it, but that's where we are. It's probably unlikely though "so there's this guy at Swindon, he was great for me, we must go and sign him". I can't see Sandgaard saying no.

It's not as if Garner is operating in a separate football environment from Gallen. By the sound of things, O'Connell is someone we had been chasing for weeks, after all if you as a club decide you want to pass from the back more, there aren't a vast number of CB options, especially ones available on a free and not at a level where Championship clubs will pip us. 
  • Two local lads in. Yeah, yeah, O’Connell is Irish but Irish lads always do well for us. They’re practically made for Charlton.