Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I know Gallen always says that we dont sign players based on position first, but more when they become available.

But its awesome we're sorting the defence out now rather than later.

Are you American @ForeverAddickted ?

The one word that could make me kill indiscriminately and I know where you live;)
    Right on dude!!
    Like, totally, y’all.
  • I know Gallen always says that we dont sign players based on position first, but more when they become available.

But its awesome we're sorting the defence out now rather than later.

Are you American @ForeverAddickted ?

The one word that could make me kill indiscriminately and I know where you live;)
    Right on dude!!
    Dope;)
  • ross1 said:
    Garner has said that he would rather wait for the right players than rush some on now. Sounds like we might have to wait until after the Spain trip. BTW, I know nothing
    I wouldn’t have thought we are in an embargo whilst in Spain? 
  • cabbles said:
    Just an observation but found the language on the two tweets announcing the 2 signings interesting.  O’Connell was described as a ball playing CB and Mandela an attacking full back.  I’m not arguing these aren’t qualities they possess, just funny how football’s changed and languages, optics and messaging is used.  When you think about it, is it because the club are trying to put a message across as to the style and brand TS keeps sharing in interviews, is it to reassure us as fans we’re getting exciting players, or is it just the done thing in football now?  
    Indeed it is the way things are done in such announcements, emphasise the key attributes that show a player is different/better than what went before.

When Garner is sacked because we let in 4 goals a game, and we being in Tony Pulis to sort out the defence, the tweets about our defensive signings will say things like

"He's a no nonsense defender, he loves keeping the ball out of the net and is happy to kick it into row Z if necessary"
  • I’m fully expecting a number of trialists will be on the trip to Spain. Hopefully we get some names from the camp.
  • ButtleJR said:
    Sounds as if Thomas is staying put while players go to Spain as plenty going on, has extended his stay by 10 days.We're due to play a couple of matches behind closed doors in Spain, in the new kit.
    Super early kit reveal?👀
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    Just an observation but found the language on the two tweets announcing the 2 signings interesting.  O’Connell was described as a ball playing CB and Mandela an attacking full back.  I’m not arguing these aren’t qualities they possess, just funny how football’s changed and languages, optics and messaging is used.  When you think about it, is it because the club are trying to put a message across as to the style and brand TS keeps sharing in interviews, is it to reassure us as fans we’re getting exciting players, or is it just the done thing in football now?  
    I know where you are coming from cabbs however the clips clearly show O'Connell can play as well as hoof it. Early doors but he looks more skillful than some of our midfield players. 
    Yes, as I say, not questioning their respective abilities, more an observation.  Funny how football has changed with the way things are put across now.  Back when I was a nipper it was club call and I was eagerly awaiting a snippet in the Mercury about Bradley Allen 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Sounds as if Thomas is staying put while players go to Spain as plenty going on, has extended his stay by 10 days.We're due to play a couple of matches behind closed doors in Spain, in the new kit.
    Thanks for the info, do we know if the games will be on stream or if the kit will actually be officially revealed by then?
  • SOTF said:
    I guess the people claiming that Ben Garner won’t be in charge of signings can put that one to bed now 
    He's not in charge, likewise, he isn't not in charge. He is part of a recruitment team and has the right to veto or recommend targets as Steve Gallen has confirmed.

It really doesn't have to be one or the other where Ben Garner and signings is concerned.
    He has the final say on signings, as Gallen stated in his interview saying it would be ridiculous if he didn’t. 

This is now evident in him signing a centre back he admired from when he played against and a player from the team he just left, I’d say it’s unlikely we sign either of these if Garner isn’t here. 

In a nutshell, people can stop pretending Sandgaard is an evil ruler who won’t let managers sign players now and just get behind the team 
      That doesn't  explain how players like Schwartz or Innis arrived at CAFC. It could be a mystery in part. TS does have Palace connections I heard. 
    Gallen is friends with Dougie Freedman sporting director at Palace.
    Add that to Steve Parish is one of the people Thomas does takes advice from.
  • ButtleJR said:
    Sounds like we should expect more players in this week. I could used to this one a day. 
  • Scoham said:
    I’m fully expecting a number of trialists will be on the trip to Spain. Hopefully we get some names from the camp.
    Welcome to our trialists Matthew Adams, Ken Watson, Barry Arter and Kris Günter.
    And Ron Black 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Good signing for Sheff Wed today, getting Will Vaulks from Cardiff. Very good player at this level.
    Saw this and it did feel like a bit of a reality check after getting excited the last 2 days. I like our 2 signings so far but just a reminder this league is going to be difficult to even get top 6 in. Hopefully we have signings of this calibre on the way as well as picking the best of lower league 1/league 2 talent
  • Any of these good enough or too old?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61874931

Peter Clarke: Walsall sign Tranmere Rovers defender on one-year deal - BBC Sport

League 2 'Team of the Year' player.

Sure, he's just signed for Walsall, but we need to aim high.
  • DOUCHER said:
    I reckon we will end up with Joe Wollacott (Swindon’s goalie) and that will be some coup.

Ghanas number 1, made team of the season, contract is up in the summer and I imagine would be the kind of keeper Garner wants. 

McG is absolutely turd with his feet and AMB is up in the air due to his injury record imo, I reckon we will have a new #1 next season. 
    Don't disagree but I'd imagine we'll have to flow one first. I'd probably try get rid of McG as AMB is younger but not sure anyone will want him. Back to Pompey maybe?
    No doubt we will, I’d also prefer that but as you said who is gonna want him. A goalie who can play a bit and isn’t a panicker will be really  important in this team now and I just don’t see McG fitting in. Pompey have lost their loaned  goalie so could be a shout. I would certainly prefer a keeper who suits Garners style of play either way. 

We obviously don’t wanna sign every Swindon player as people have jested, but Wollacott, Egbo, McKirdy, Payne and Reed would all be very good additions to the squad. That solves the keeper issue, right back issue, healthy completion in midfield and a forward that has been successful under our manager and can play across that front 3 in the famous ‘high press’ 

very excited to see what kind of signings we make and how this Charlton team will look 
    Yeah I'd certainly be happy with Wollacott if we can offload a keeper and Payne. Don't know much about Egbo, I know he played well for them but what was it, 10 games? Kelser might be a better bet at right-back and has had a decent few months in League 1 with MK. 

Think the problem we've got in CM if we have Dobson, Fraser, JFC, Gilbey, Clare and Morgan. Again think we're going to need an outgoing or two. 

McKirdy is an interesting one and I will of course trust Garner on it. Just a bit concerned it was a one off, but if he does join I hope it's because he suited Garner's style and he can pick off where he ended at Swindon. 

I too am excited, I just hope we have enough budget to get the players needed. 
    Kelser would be on loan is the only issue and I’m never a fan of loan defenders, feel like that’s an area we need to get right and build on, always feel midfielders or forwards on loan are easier to replace, of course just my opinion. 

I reckon midfield will be fine if we bring in two more, long old season and we now know we will be playing a midfield 3. Going to need 6 centre mids I would say, we have 5 but one is absolutely pants. 

I think McKirdy would hit the ground running with us but again just a hunch. 

Egbo stats below, interesting career so far. He notched up 3 assists in 10 games for Swindon from what I can see online. If you watch him in those games as well he travels with the ball so well, if he can defend he’s a no brainier

Egbo played in the Dartford academy - he actually packed football in for a while to play footsall but thats a bit irrelevant - i could see him definitely being somebody who we may be interested in and vice versa 
    Not claiming any ITK status on us signing Egbo but for those saying it came out of the blue, he was on a few radar’s and the one time I’ve seen him play he was motm by a country mile 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

The transfer market in the EFL has really started coming to life this week
  • edited June 2022
    Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Thanks for the info, do we know if the games will be on stream or if the kit will actually be officially revealed by then?
    No stream, completely behind closed doors. Not sure on kit reveal, new sponsor so a lot of logistics to sort out.
  • These two new lads feel like proper Charlton signings.I will try and save judgement until the end of the window but things seem to be coming together with the new gaffer and on the recruitment front. Early days but starting to feel a little more optimistic for the new season!

As other have said, will be nice to get a LB in soon for the defensive unit to start to gel. Desperately need a pacy striker too.

HMS Scrape into the Playoffs could be on!