Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• A must sign? The best player at the Valley last season in my book.
    No such thing as a must sign, but yes, agreed that he was the best player at The Valley last season (if we can ignore Pukki and chums).

He'll be off to the Championship at least though 
  • edited June 2022
    Are we sure there’ll be no more signings before they head off to Spain?
    I’ve quite enjoyed the last couple of days. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd expect most loans to be later in the window even for U23s , clubs will want them in for a chunk of preseason first before making decisions. Hopefully we don't leave it right to deadline day though on that front. 

LCB and left back next on the list for me please , wouldn't be surprised if the left back is one of the loanees though. 
    Bolton have already signed one on loan.  The ones on the fringes of squads or who will play in the early rounds of the league Cup will move later. 

What date did we sign Famewo last year?
  • edited June 2022
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd expect most loans to be later in the window even for U23s , clubs will want them in for a chunk of preseason first before making decisions. Hopefully we don't leave it right to deadline day though on that front. 

LCB and left back next on the list for me please , wouldn't be surprised if the left back is one of the loanees though. 
    Agree with the priority positions you highlight. We also need players who can score goals. Outside of Stockley we have no-one we can rely on to score the goals needed to get us in the top 6.
  • THE 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS!

Nothing to be announced today.

(100% Correct to date, after 1 day 👍)
  • MarcusH26 said:

Agree with the priority positions you highlight. We also need players who can score goals. Outside of Stockley we have no-one we can rely on to score the goals needed to get us in the top 6.

Oh definitely need attacking options, would expect if there's fees to be paid for players then one will be a striker that's more in the ilk of Washington. 
  • Hearing we’re close to signing 2/3 players.
    Two thirds of a player far more our style  :D
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Bolton have already signed one on loan.  The ones on the fringes of squads or who will play in the early rounds of the league Cup will move later. 

What date did we sign Famewo last year?
    Posh have signed 2 loan players already. Most sides will know which young players are way off 1st team contention this season
  • edited June 2022
    swordfish said:
    THE 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS!

Nothing to be announced today.

(100% Correct to date, after 1 day 👍)
    No, no wait. Don't hold me to that. It's coming to me. I'm getting the word....... Pembury. Does that mean anything? 🤣
  • A must sign? The best player at the Valley last season in my book.
    Out of contract next summer.  Probably never play for West Ham.  In a similar position to Cullen was although he hasn't played as much men's football.

Would be a cracking signing.

Another one would be Lowery from Crewe, now out of contract and less likely to go to Blackpool, as looked nailed on a couple of months ago.

• Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Sausagedog has been told one more Swindon player will be joining.
    The obvious ones everyone will talk about are Mckirdy, Reed, Payne and Williams.

However we need an attacking left back and Ellis Iandolo had a good season for them. 7 assists. 
    And the keeper.  Him and Payne could be the easiest/most likely given they're out of contract.
  • Do they count as Swindon players if they're out of contract? Maybe sausagedog is being coy and only one of them we're paying a fee for
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    The obvious ones everyone will talk about are Mckirdy, Reed, Payne and Williams.

However we need an attacking left back and Ellis Iandolo had a good season for them. 7 assists. 
    Raiding the best attacking team in league 2 for their defenders is a very Charlton thing to do. Would be happy with any of those apart from Williams. Payne is out of contract so I reckon he’s the most likely 
    Perhaps as Garner already knows them he wants better forwards for this division ?
  • Scoham said:

Nice one Jnr.  :-)
  • Scoham said:

And the keeper.  Him and Payne could be the easiest/most likely given they're out of contract.
    That's six, we have already signed one.

Their captain and the lad they had on loan from Ipswich have been mentioned as well.

Is it fair to say that last seasons Swindon team were about as good as the teams that came up the year before?  Two of which finished on a similar number of points as us.  So quite a similar standard to us?

I would suggest that they didn't have a great deal of depth and a couple of obvious weaknesses.

I would be quite happy having 5 or 6 of them, especially if it meant replacing 2 or 3 of the squad we currently have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks like some hit the sherry hard last night. 

From the little I've seen of Swindon, Payne looks a decent footballer, and likes to have a pop 
  • edited June 2022
    The key questions for me...

Does O'Connell look like an upgrade on Pearce - Pearce is an old school stopper and looked like he'd trip over the ball. He's not the kind of CB who will be picking up short goal kicks in his own box and playing it out. So looks positive. 

Does Egbo look like an upgrade on Matthews - Given how bad Matthews was last season, it would be hard not to be. Sounds like Egbo is more an athlete, at the very least. 
  • Although I think it’s unlikely that we re sign Williams I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we did. Under Bowyer Williams was not used in the same way that he would be under Garner. In a team always wanting to retain possession and looking to push forward which is what we’re hopefully getting then Williams would look a different player to the one that left us. I’m not saying as a starter week in week out but a very useful and effective squad player. I’d rather JW than young PL loan who either isn’t ready or not good enough.
    Better impact sub than Leko or Lee imo. Would be an upgrade if his use was from the bench, that said for his own sake I hope JW stays with Swindon, he seemed to really enjoy his football last year.
  • Vfrf said:
    Although I think it’s unlikely that we re sign Williams I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we did. Under Bowyer Williams was not used in the same way that he would be under Garner. In a team always wanting to retain possession and looking to push forward which is what we’re hopefully getting then Williams would look a different player to the one that left us. I’m not saying as a starter week in week out but a very useful and effective squad player. I’d rather JW than young PL loan who either isn’t ready or not good enough.
    Better impact sub than Leko or Lee imo. Would be an upgrade if his use was from the bench, that said for his own sake I hope JW stays with Swindon, he seemed to really enjoy his football last year.
    He enjoyed his football and stayed fit, Garner is a genius.

There were quite a few that had played at a higher level and sort of lost their way a bit and may have even been in danger of dropping out the pro game and now a lot of them will be looking at moves to league 1.

Iandolo is an interesting one and a different profile to most of the others he didnt come through an academy, apart from a couple of seasons at Gillingham as a school boy.  He was a SEFA Scholar.  Has anyone here played with or against him?