Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd expect most loans to be later in the window even for U23s , clubs will want them in for a chunk of preseason first before making decisions. Hopefully we don't leave it right to deadline day though on that front. 

LCB and left back next on the list for me please , wouldn't be surprised if the left back is one of the loanees though. 
    Bolton have already signed one on loan.  The ones on the fringes of squads or who will play in the early rounds of the league Cup will move later. 

What date did we sign Famewo last year?
    Posh have signed 2 loan players already. Most sides will know which young players are way off 1st team contention this season
    2 keepers...
  • edited June 2022
    I don't see how the positives around Williams can outweigh the negatives. Nobody ever has an answer for them so I can only assume it's sentimental. He is very likeable as a person.
  • Like, I genuinely believe we'd be close to league favourites if Chuks could guarantee 90 minutes every week. But he can't and we're not. 
  • I am not sure how a maturing non scoring, nil assisting attacking midfielder like Williams is going to propel us up the league even when he is fit.
  • edited June 2022
    I thought the concept was signing young players on the up from the leagues below that might show a return... not signing players from the leagues below that are on the way down and were not good enough for us 12 months ago. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Although I think it’s unlikely that we re sign Williams I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we did. Under Bowyer Williams was not used in the same way that he would be under Garner. In a team always wanting to retain possession and looking to push forward which is what we’re hopefully getting then Williams would look a different player to the one that left us. I’m not saying as a starter week in week out but a very useful and effective squad player. I’d rather JW than young PL loan who either isn’t ready or not good enough.
    The World Cup means signing Williams would be a bad idea in my opinion. I think as a player he’s good enough but if he’s going to miss at least a month of the season (and that’s without injuries) when we have a squad cap that doesn’t feel like a smart signing 
    Wales these days are a very competitive international team. If we can get hold of a player good enough to be going to the World Cup then I think for a league one side it’s a very smart move. 
    Chris Gunter will be going to the World Cup ;)
  • Love the signings so far, and everything else coming out of the club - all sounds very positive. BUT - what is it with BG's white T-Shirts?! What are those about, they look terrible!  Put on some CAFC clobber, come on!
  • NabySarr said:
    Although I think it’s unlikely that we re sign Williams I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we did. Under Bowyer Williams was not used in the same way that he would be under Garner. In a team always wanting to retain possession and looking to push forward which is what we’re hopefully getting then Williams would look a different player to the one that left us. I’m not saying as a starter week in week out but a very useful and effective squad player. I’d rather JW than young PL loan who either isn’t ready or not good enough.
    The World Cup means signing Williams would be a bad idea in my opinion. I think as a player he’s good enough but if he’s going to miss at least a month of the season (and that’s without injuries) when we have a squad cap that doesn’t feel like a smart signing 
    Wales these days are a very competitive international team. If we can get hold of a player good enough to be going to the World Cup then I think for a league one side it’s a very smart move. 
    Chris Gunter is available 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    I am not sure how a maturing non scoring, nil assisting attacking midfielder like Williams is going to propel us up the league even when he is fit.
    Hes a nice chap and wins freekicks in the 75th minute, I don't really see what else he brings at this stage.
  • Scoham said:
    Sausagedog has been told one more Swindon player will be joining.
    The Social Media message from him today that I read stated "There will be more raids"

maybe more than 1?, maybe an old message?
  • shine166 said:
    Redrobo said:
    I am not sure how a maturing non scoring, nil assisting attacking midfielder like Williams is going to propel us up the league even when he is fit.
    Hes a nice chap and wins freekicks in the 75th minute, I don't really see what else he brings at this stage.
    Retains possession and passes very well and is a player who can pick a lock. This won’t be the same style of football that under Bowyer he was completely unsuited for. 
  • Chunes said:
    The key questions for me...

Does O'Connell look like an upgrade on Pearce - Pearce is an old school stopper and looked like he'd trip over the ball. He's not the kind of CB who will be picking up short goal kicks in his own box and playing it out. So looks positive. 

Does Egbo look like an upgrade on Matthews - Given how bad Matthews was last season, it would be hard not to be. Sounds like Egbo is more an athlete, at the very least. 
    O'Connell is clearly an upgrade on Pearce as a passer, but seeing that Pearce has played 5 seasons in the Championship, I doubt he's a better all round player than Pearce was at his peak. Hopefully better than the 34 year old Pearce though.
  • edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    Sausagedog has been told one more Swindon player will be joining.
    The obvious ones everyone will talk about are Mckirdy, Reed, Payne and Williams.

However we need an attacking left back and Ellis Iandolo had a good season for them. 7 assists. 
    And the keeper.  Him and Payne could be the easiest/most likely given they're out of contract.
    I feel like we're unlikely to change keepers this season. Mac isn't a bad keeper at all, he just goes through a few too many phases. Having a defence in front of him that isn't made out of rice paper and sadness might help this season too, especially having a consistent one. In his first season with us he's had to line up behind a struggling back four in a team that could barely get the ball out of our half and then a back 5 that had wingers at wingback, fullbacks and central midfielders at centre back and a constantly rotating set of personnel. I think we had 8 different players line up at CB in various combinations. Keepers thrive when there's a consistent defence in front of them, he didn't even consistently have defenders in front of him. He also reacted to and improved a deficit in his game with his command of the box which was good to see. We have AMB hopefully ready to challenge, so I think given that no matter what Sandgaard puts in and how much we get in sell on fees there will still be a budget, there's a lot of empty priority positions to fill before we decide to change up a spot where there are two serviceable players. Switching the keeper for one more comfortable with the ball at his feet mihgt be a season two job for Garner, but we'll see.
    Plus his partner gave birth mid season.
    I'd be very surprised if that together with interrupted sleep wasn't a factor as well. 
    Let's hope every day they have him practicing coming for crosses in a crowded penalty area.
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    The key questions for me...

Does O'Connell look like an upgrade on Pearce - Pearce is an old school stopper and looked like he'd trip over the ball. He's not the kind of CB who will be picking up short goal kicks in his own box and playing it out. So looks positive. 

Does Egbo look like an upgrade on Matthews - Given how bad Matthews was last season, it would be hard not to be. Sounds like Egbo is more an athlete, at the very least. 
    O'Connell is clearly an upgrade on Pearce as a passer, but seeing that Pearce has played 5 seasons in the Championship, I doubt he's a better all round player than Pearce was at his peak. Hopefully better than the 34 year old Pearce though.
    Yeah but like you say we're not replacing Pearce at his peak so don't think the comparison serves
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I am not getting into the Williams debate because it goes in more circles than the blackbox but..............

The oldest player we have got is about 28 we do need a bit of experience.  The key is getting an Andy Hughes not a Chris Gunter.
    Think we would have got promoted with or without Andy Hughes that year
  • shine166 said:
    I thought the concept was signing young players on the up from the leagues below that might show a return... not signing players from the leagues below that are on the way down and were not good enough for us 12 months ago. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if Garner wants him because he's known him since his early days and say's he'd have played at the highest level consistently were it not for his injuries.

Can't see the recruitment team being all in agreement on this one though, and we don't have space to accommodate more bench sitters  with Aneke, JFC and Inniss all potentially injury prone based on their records last season.
  • Leuth said:
    Slight bit of pedantry: the X factor player is Chuks Aneke and has always been. What we need is another X factor player for when our first one gets broken 

I'm a fan of Chuks Aneke and he is more our Y-factor player. Y can't Aneke play more games and minutes as he would slaughter League 1 as his record of a goal every 100 minutes is top notch. He could even afford to win the crossbar challenge most weeks if he gets 3 chances or more a game. He enjoys being the super sub which tells you his mind as well as his body can be an issue. Play Stockley for 60 and Aneke for 30 if need be but we need the option of the headed goals. (Shrewsbury at home)
    He was taken off more to save him getting a second yellow than because of injury in his time at Cafc; unlike Ryan Inniss !

• McKirdy's record looks like someone who has had one hot season, and hasn't really done anything before

• edited June 2022
    Rothko said:
    McKirdy's record looks like someone who has had one hot season, and hasn't really done anything before

Watching his goals I’m not convinced, looked like a poacher, not necessarily what we need but perhaps effective in League 2.

Someone who’s watched him does he have a lot more to his game?
  • If the club was street smart they would give Gunter a new deal as if he goes to the world cup we would get some £££'s from FIFA liked we got when Reza played
  • Rothko said:
    McKirdy's record looks like someone who has had one hot season, and hasn't really done anything before

Under our current manager. I’d take the risk. 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who is this with TS, not suggesting it's anyone just don't recognise them. 
    Did a lifer type that sign?
    What’s disturbing me is that the sign is bowing out. 
    The material expands in the heat by around 10-15%