Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• swordfish said:
    shine166 said:
    I thought the concept was signing young players on the up from the leagues below that might show a return... not signing players from the leagues below that are on the way down and were not good enough for us 12 months ago. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if Garner wants him because he's known him since his early days and say's he'd have played at the highest level consistently were it not for his injuries.

Can't see the recruitment team being all in agreement on this one though, and we don't have space to accommodate more bench sitters  with Aneke, JFC and Inniss all potentially injury prone based on their records last season.
    If he was fit (fewer knocks) it'd be a no brainer I agree. Pearce fits the old head role perfectly and does the take a place in the squad.
  • Rothko said:
    McKirdy's record looks like someone who has had one hot season, and hasn't really done anything before

But the one good season was last season and under our current manager. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I am not getting into the Williams debate because it goes in more circles than the blackbox but..............

The oldest player we have got is about 28 we do need a bit of experience.  The key is getting an Andy Hughes not a Chris Gunter.
    Think we would have got promoted with or without Andy Hughes that year
    It wasn't only Hughes though was it, Euell, Court, Hayes were all very experienced players.  I hate the expression but we have lacked "locker room leaders" for a while.
  • I think we have had far more success with young Premier League loan players, like Millar, Maatsen, Da Silva, Cullen, Bielik and Gallagher than dropping down Champ players. Obviously, you get the odd lemon like Dylan Levitt, Nile John etc but generally they have more to prove that they can make it in mens football. I also like raiding lower level teams for their best players, Danny Hollands, Rhys Wiggins, Dale Stephens all come to mind. Therefore I am supportive of the current player acquisition strategy although a little nervous about the ball playing, attractive football nonsense. 
    I think those who drop from the Championship like Matthews, Gunter, Watson , Arter and Famewo are always a bit disappointed at the level they are playing at and don't perform so well. 
    Sorba Thomas has shown brilliantly this year that you can move from lower leagues to the Championship. Below the Premier League, I dont honestly think that the gulf in quality is that big. 
    If I look back further into our history, Lennie got us promoted by pinching Steve Thompson and George Shipley from division below Lincoln and John Pender and John Humphrey from relegated Wolves. 
    Time will tell, but nothing on player recruitment so far to be disappointed about. 
  • Maquis signs apparently 

• Maquis signs apparently 
    J. Marques has signed, yes. Maquis or Marquis, I don’t believe so.
  • No idea if we could get him but I like the sound of Josh Wilson-Esbrand at left-back. London lad who left West Ham for Man City in 2019. England U20 international and sounds like a good attacking full-back who could compliment Kirk well. 
  • Leuth said:
    Slight bit of pedantry: the X factor player is Chuks Aneke and has always been. What we need is another X factor player for when our first one gets broken 

I'm a fan of Chuks Aneke and he is more our Y-factor player. Y can't Aneke play more games and minutes as he would slaughter League 1 as his record of a goal every 100 minutes is top notch. He could even afford to win the crossbar challenge most weeks if he gets 3 chances or more a game. He enjoys being the super sub which tells you his mind as well as his body can be an issue. Play Stockley for 60 and Aneke for 30 if need be but we need the option of the headed goals. (Shrewsbury at home)
    He was taken off more to save him getting a second yellow than because of injury in his time at Cafc; unlike Ryan Inniss !

Is that a confirmed fact that Chuks prefers to come off the bench? If so it's really weird
  • Chunes said:
    I don't see how the positives around Williams can outweigh the negatives. Nobody ever has an answer for them so I can only assume it's sentimental. He is very likeable as a person.
    I agree with the previous poster I think. While JW wouldn’t be at the top of my want list, he might fit in very well with Garner’s style of play, and could be a useful addition to the squad, although not necessarily a regular starter.
  • Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Although I think it’s unlikely that we re sign Williams I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we did. Under Bowyer Williams was not used in the same way that he would be under Garner. In a team always wanting to retain possession and looking to push forward which is what we’re hopefully getting then Williams would look a different player to the one that left us. I’m not saying as a starter week in week out but a very useful and effective squad player. I’d rather JW than young PL loan who either isn’t ready or not good enough.
    The World Cup means signing Williams would be a bad idea in my opinion. I think as a player he’s good enough but if he’s going to miss at least a month of the season (and that’s without injuries) when we have a squad cap that doesn’t feel like a smart signing 
    Wales these days are a very competitive international team. If we can get hold of a player good enough to be going to the World Cup then I think for a league one side it’s a very smart move. 
    Chris Gunter will be going to the World Cup ;)
    That’s because he’s always turned it on for Wales 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    McKirdy's record looks like someone who has had one hot season, and hasn't really done anything before

Tyreece Simpson wants out of Ipswich and if the money wasn’t stupid I think he may be the better choice.
    11 goals in 30 (on Wikipedia) on loan at Swindon. Only 20.
  • Redrobo said:
    Rothko said:

Tyreece Simpson wants out of Ipswich and if the money wasn’t stupid I think he may be the better choice.
    Wanted by Peterborough I think I saw. They don't often get their striking options wrong tbh so he must have something about him 
  • Redrobo said:
    Rothko said:

Wanted by Peterborough I think I saw. They don't often get their striking options wrong tbh so he must have something about him 
    Barry Fry has come and said Ipswich won’t sell to a promotion rival. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Redrobo said:
    Rothko said:

Barry Fry has come and said Ipswich won’t sell to a promotion rival. 
    Bit rich of Ipswich to call a team "a promotion rival" given where they finished last season ;)
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    I don't see how the positives around Williams can outweigh the negatives. Nobody ever has an answer for them so I can only assume it's sentimental. He is very likeable as a person.
    I agree with the previous poster I think. While JW wouldn’t be at the top of my want list, he might fit in very well with Garner’s style of play, and could be a useful addition to the squad, although not necessarily a regular starter.
    Definitely a bit of sentimentality with JW as he comes across as such a nice bloke. Agree he is potentially well suited to Garner's preferred style of play but for me, he would only be a useful addition if there wasn't a squad size cap. Too much of a luxury with the current rules. 
  • I would take finishing one place behind Ipswich next season. 
  • RedJohn said:
    Scoham said:
    Sausagedog has been told one more Swindon player will be joining.
    The Social Media message from him today that I read stated "There will be more raids"

maybe more than 1?, maybe an old message?
    Different tweet, I think it was a reply to someone so you might have missed it.
  • I would take finishing one place behind Ipswich next season. 
    Not if they finish 20th I wouldnt ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watched Swindon fan on youtube, he said they didn't lose a game with Reed in the side last season.. Also captain Conroy was released, wouldn't sign. Conroy from Redhill...
  • Leuth said:
    Slight bit of pedantry: the X factor player is Chuks Aneke and has always been. What we need is another X factor player for when our first one gets broken 

I'm a fan of Chuks Aneke and he is more our Y-factor player. Y can't Aneke play more games and minutes as he would slaughter League 1 as his record of a goal every 100 minutes is top notch. He could even afford to win the crossbar challenge most weeks if he gets 3 chances or more a game. He enjoys being the super sub which tells you his mind as well as his body can be an issue. Play Stockley for 60 and Aneke for 30 if need be but we need the option of the headed goals. (Shrewsbury at home)
    He was taken off more to save him getting a second yellow than because of injury in his time at Cafc; unlike Ryan Inniss !

Is that a confirmed fact that Chuks prefers to come off the bench? If so it's really weird
    yes it is - it's definitely his preferred option
  • IanJRO said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Definitely a bit of sentimentality with JW as he comes across as such a nice bloke. Agree he is potentially well suited to Garner's preferred style of play but for me, he would only be a useful addition if there wasn't a squad size cap. Too much of a luxury with the current rules. 
    Last season he played 2,500 odd minutes, more than double he had ever managed before.  
  • redbuttle said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd expect most loans to be later in the window even for U23s , clubs will want them in for a chunk of preseason first before making decisions. Hopefully we don't leave it right to deadline day though on that front. 

LCB and left back next on the list for me please , wouldn't be surprised if the left back is one of the loanees though. 
    Bolton have already signed one on loan.  The ones on the fringes of squads or who will play in the early rounds of the league Cup will move later. 

What date did we sign Famewo last year?
    Posh have signed 2 loan players already. Most sides will know which young players are way off 1st team contention this season
    2 keepers...
    I hope our two are worth keeping too. ;)
  • Leuth said:

yes it is - it's definitely his preferred option
    Yes, and there’s a reason for it which no one will divulge. Not just about injuries someone said?
  • I think it is physical, not necessarily "injuries". Just a condition.