Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited June 2022
    Clarky said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I keep saying it but we need a small, pacey striker to complement the ones we've already got. Preferably one that knows where the goal is. 
    How do you fit them into a 433?
    Works if we play 532
    Then how are you fitting in Kirk, DJ and Blackett-Taylor? 
    We don’t need a small pacey striker. We need an all rounder who can hold the ball up but is also mobile enough to press while up front on his own. Lyle Taylor and Bonne would be examples of recent ones we’ve had that fit, Davison is the right kind of player just not very good 
  • NabySarr said:
    Hope this isn’t true. With signing Vaulks yesterday, Sheffield Wednesday are looking very strong if they get these as well 
    I thought they were skint?
    On paper they are, but that doesn't stop the Owls behaving as if they rule the roost, which is what I was saying about them living beyond their means. To be fair, they have let some players go today I think, ones who didn't agree new reduced contract offers, presumably high rollers from their championship days, so they might be trying to cut their cloth more sparingly now. 

They have a very generous owner in Mr Chansiri who, despite having been on the receiving end of dogs abuse from large sections of the fanbase, continues to bankroll them, providing assurances of additional funding every season to help them pay their way as they are not a viable concern, simply building up more and more debt.

The FFP rules are not as rigid in Leagues 1 & 2 and the assurances are more in the form of a gentleman's  agreement as I understand it, but given they flaunted the regulations in the Championship, I'm not sure I'd put much store in them honouring an unwritten code. I stand to be corrected on this if anyone knows better. 

I'm a bit of a technophobe, but I hope the link attached below works if you're interested in reading up about their finances.

Sheffield Wednesday losing £500,000 a week as financial accounts paint picture of Covid-19 impact - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I keep saying it but we need a small, pacey striker to complement the ones we've already got. Preferably one that knows where the goal is. 
    Ask Pep and Klopp. Utd also did it with Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney interchanging  the year they won the Champion’s League. 
    Who have Pep and Klopp had? 
  • Because we had a system where Stockley was isolated in a 4-3-3 in the 13 game chaos at the beginning of last season,  there is no way anyone should be isolated in a 3 up front unless you are playing just two  wingers with one central striker and the attacking  midfielder go AWOL.

Grant and Taylor type forwards to play with Stockley/Aneke would work. CBT  on the right or left would also work as long as he's not a wing back. The pacey striker doesn't have to be small ? As long as he can get close to the central striker when the ball comes in from the opposite side.

If anyone is isolated in a 4-3-3 then either the 8 (attacking midfielder) 7 or 11(when on other flank) haven't supported the 9 when the ball is crossed from out wide. DJ struggled to get into the box and Washington was so wide on the left that he was always blocked as he weaved inside onto his right foot. We improved initially when switching to 3-5-2 but too many mediocre players meant we ended up where we deserved in mid table.

Ben Garner should play the system that creates the most chances and hopefully uses CBT in an attacking role.

@NabySarr why should any of our forwards be isolated in a 3 if it played correctly. Not sure what formation Bolton played last season but they always flooded the box with players in transition and when attacking. I know it was a fluid formation !
  • Because we had a system where Stockley was isolated in a 4-3-3 in the 13 game chaos at the beginning of last season,  there is no way anyone should be isolated in a 3 up front unless you are playing just two  wingers with one central striker and the attacking  midfielder go AWOL.

Grant and Taylor type forwards to play with Stockley/Aneke would work. CBT  on the right or left would also work as long as he's not a wing back. The pacey striker doesn't have to be small ? As long as he can get close to the central striker when the ball comes in from the opposite side.

If anyone is isolated in a 4-3-3 then either the 8 (attacking midfielder) 7 or 11(when on other flank) haven't supported the 9 when the ball is crossed from out wide. DJ struggled to get into the box and Washington was so wide on the left that he was always blocked as he weaved inside onto his right foot. We improved initially when switching to 3-5-2 but too many mediocre players meant we ended up where we deserved in mid table.

Ben Garner should play the system that creates the most chances and hopefully uses CBT in an attacking role.

@NabySarr why should any of our forwards be isolated in a 3 if it played correctly. Not sure what formation Bolton played last season but they always flooded the box with players in transition and when attacking. I know it was a fluid formation !
    Bolton played 3-5-2, if we are planning on playing that then yes we need some pace to go alongside stockley. We will probably play 4-3-3 so I’m saying that we probably won’t sign a smaller quick striker as they usually struggle to play on their own at this level. I’m saying we may need a Taylor/Bonne type to play instead of Stockley as we will still need someone who is big enough to hold the ball up (ideally better at receiving into feet than stockley) but also mobile enough for a high intensity press. Stockley is very good at this level but I’m not sure he fits what garner will want from his number 9
  • So from our 3 sell on clauses we should net between £2-3m and it will be interesting to see of that is reinvested into the team. You'd hope that given it wasn't expected TS would make a real marque signing, ideally to partner Stockley
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    So from our 3 sell on clauses we should net between £2-3m and it will be interesting to see of that is reinvested into the team. You'd hope that given it wasn't expected TS would make a real marque signing, ideally to partner Stockley
    When Burstow was sold end of Jan for £1.6M plenty on here said it was great business and would be reinvested in the summer.  Reality is it will go to cover losses I expect.  Would not surprise me if much of any Pope money did the same but we will see.  Plenty of time to spend it all on transfer fees yet if TS wants to.
  • Sponsored links:

When your really playing well (or actually really badly) it shouldn't be obvious, when your attacking, what formation your playing.  If it's 442, 352 or 422.

When a player gets in a crossing position there should be 2 or 3 players in the box and 1 or 2 attacking the edge of the area.  It doesn't matter where they started.

I think we are sensible enough to know, if we are being honest, that the plan last year was never to just lump it to Stockley with no one, one if you were lucky, within 20 yards of him.  

Why it kept happening is probably a more complex issue.
  • NabySarr said:
    Hope this isn’t true. With signing Vaulks yesterday, Sheffield Wednesday are looking very strong if they get these as well 
    Make them favourites to win next season based on their window so far. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    This, and also, didn’t Rotherham and Wigan manage to get promoted without one?  Unless I’ve missed something.  
  • J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    People were wetting themselves about Ipswich because they brought in a few players same time last season where did they finish ? 
  • J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    People were wetting themselves about Ipswich because they brought in a few players same time last season where did they finish ? 
    If you buy good players you have a higher chance of doing well, it’s not rocket science. It doesn’t always work, but invariably does. 
  • 24 goals and 7 assists in 51 games shows he turns up and doesnt miss matches 

is what we should be doing buying proven talent
  • Well, the owner of the salon where I have my hair cut in TW & who went to school with JW said he saw him yesterday & had a brief chat....

No insight into where he'll play his football next season but he is around his home area ( Pembury) 
  • RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    The Sandinistas are out in force and sifting through some old perceived slights to throw into a thread, that had just got interesting with the 2 new signings. How the 20 ton irony bucket isn’t hitting them between the eyes when they moan about moaning about a done to death recruitment topic is beyond me.  

Only hoping there’s some more quality signings coming in soon and as long as they are taking the team forward that’s a good start.
    ‘Sandinistas’ what is that all about?

Why are people so eager to create division amongst our fanbase. We all want the same thing dont we?
    People who have seen slights or complaints as anti Sandgaard and then rerunning the moaning about the moaning about the recruitment system.  You lot are more than capable of talking shite, picking up people and creating divisions without my help ffs.  Get over yourself
    Hahaha you aggressive little man
    Silly little fella.  Shame really.  What’s your issue, that you prove my point, jumping on shit to spout vacuous crap, get arsey about a post or you’re one of the “mouths” on here?  I am not aggressive nor am I little, so you are only 33% right, which sound about right for you.  Keep up the good work sweetie
  • Mazeed Ogungbo, 19, is available for loan from Arsenal.

Regular for the U23’s, can play left-back, left-wing-back, or centre-back. 

Would be his first loan though.

If anyone is required to help a "virgin" loanee feel at home, it's our Tracey.

No brainer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    24 goals and 7 assists in 51 games shows he turns up and doesnt miss matches 

We were never going to be in for Smith when we have a similar striker in Stockley.

Scoham said:

We were never going to be in for Smith when we have a similar striker in Stockley.
    Similar but not as good

wld take the swap personally
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    This, and also, didn’t Rotherham and Wigan manage to get promoted without one?  Unless I’ve missed something.  
    And Sunderland, and Hull, and Peterborough, and Wycombe, and us......
  • J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    Above us?
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    If you buy good players you have a higher chance of doing well, it’s not rocket science. It doesn’t always work, but invariably does. 
    'Invariably' means always.

Apologies J Block!
  • RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    The Sandinistas are out in force and sifting through some old perceived slights to throw into a thread, that had just got interesting with the 2 new signings. How the 20 ton irony bucket isn’t hitting them between the eyes when they moan about moaning about a done to death recruitment topic is beyond me.  

Only hoping there’s some more quality signings coming in soon and as long as they are taking the team forward that’s a good start.
    ‘Sandinistas’ what is that all about?

Why are people so eager to create division amongst our fanbase. We all want the same thing dont we?
    People who have seen slights or complaints as anti Sandgaard and then rerunning the moaning about the moaning about the recruitment system.  You lot are more than capable of talking shite, picking up people and creating divisions without my help ffs.  Get over yourself
    Hahaha you aggressive little man
    Silly little fella.  Shame really.  What’s your issue, that you prove my point, jumping on shit to spout vacuous crap, get arsey about a post or you’re one of the “mouths” on here?  I am not aggressive nor am I little, so you are only 33% right, which sound about right for you.  Keep up the good work sweetie

Roasted ourselfs - Imgflip
  • Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Similar but not as good

On paper yes but realistically we’re not going to move on a player like Stockley for a slight upgrade.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Similar but not as good

On paper yes but realistically we’re not going to move on a player like Stockley for a slight upgrade.
    In the long term Stockley might well end up moved on/replaced by someone more mobile and versatile but it's one of the less pressing areas to address, especially as the squad size reduction kicks in.

There's been the start of movement to shore up the defence, but more work to be done there. We need more goals from midfield too. Ideally we need a new and improved replacement for Washington too.

I can't see is doing all that AND replacing Stockley in one window. 
  • I am still hopeful that Kirk will stay and show what he can do under a new manager.