Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited June 2022
    I am still hopeful that Kirk will stay and show what he can do under a new manager. 
    I agree i saw enough from kirk to show he really lacks any defensive abilities and hated tracking back last season i want him and CBT to be given free rein by BG to stay high up the pitch and pretty much focus on attack only and see what they can do with scaring defences 
  • I still think Stockley will be our main striker with Aneke being used as a impact player but ideally we need a pacy forward especially against certain opposition.

My initial thoughts would be a 4-2-3-1 

I think if we plan on playing though the thirds as well as creating chances let's get a decent attacking midfield 3 in and around the box need to move off the ball, make runs and be quick and decisive with it. The full backs can get forward and provide width. 

Fraser, CBT, Kirk and DJ all have some ability and can provide again it's down to playing to their strengths.

It does pose another question though on who could partner say Dobson as a double pivot. JFC, Morgan, Gilbey? 
  • Whilst a pacey forward would be great, you can get away with big men up top at this level IMO, especially if you have pace elsewhere. It is a case of seeing what is available and what can work.
  • Because we had a system where Stockley was isolated in a 4-3-3 in the 13 game chaos at the beginning of last season,  there is no way anyone should be isolated in a 3 up front unless you are playing just two  wingers with one central striker and the attacking  midfielder go AWOL.

Grant and Taylor type forwards to play with Stockley/Aneke would work. CBT  on the right or left would also work as long as he's not a wing back. The pacey striker doesn't have to be small ? As long as he can get close to the central striker when the ball comes in from the opposite side.

If anyone is isolated in a 4-3-3 then either the 8 (attacking midfielder) 7 or 11(when on other flank) haven't supported the 9 when the ball is crossed from out wide. DJ struggled to get into the box and Washington was so wide on the left that he was always blocked as he weaved inside onto his right foot. We improved initially when switching to 3-5-2 but too many mediocre players meant we ended up where we deserved in mid table.

Ben Garner should play the system that creates the most chances and hopefully uses CBT in an attacking role.

@NabySarr why should any of our forwards be isolated in a 3 if it played correctly. Not sure what formation Bolton played last season but they always flooded the box with players in transition and when attacking. I know it was a fluid formation !
    Too much word salad.

Football is an easy game. Get the ball upfront to a "forward" or an "attacking midfielder" and have as many efforts at goal as possible.

Our problem is that Stockley is not great on the floor so unless the ball is given to him 6ft off the ground he wont score many - not sure that is Garner's usual mode of play though. Aneke is much better with the ball at his feet but he wont be playing 90 mins every week. And Davison is not good either in the air or on the floor. As for our midfield - Purrington who scored 3 last season & has now left outscored them all. That is our problem

I have no bloody clue how Garner is going to set the team up but unless we sign a striker that is good on the floor or we sign a whole new midfield our current players aren't good enough to score 80+ goals this season.  
    I’d exclude Fraser from criticism here. We haven’t really seen him when fit and healthy yet. Dobson too, as he’s the defensive midfielder. 
  • Huddersfield, Middlesbrough and Luton all linked with Tyreece Simpson, if true and any are offering first team football that rules us out.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/42823/huddersfield-and-boro-linked-with-simpson
  • That’s why I wondered if the plan is to sign him then send him on loan to L1. Could also be agent talk to get a better deal at a L1 club.

Interesting Davison scored 9 in 21 league games while Simpson also scored 9 but across 25 appearances. Davison’s 2 and a half years older though and we know his limitations, I doubt he’d have done as well at the same age.
  • I feel the introduction of five subs is going to make impact replacement a growing part of the game. In a similar way I suppose to Rugby Union having its closers.

Be lucky to out the ground by 5.15
  • Sponsored links:

• Well, the owner of the salon where I have my hair cut in TW & who went to school with JW said he saw him yesterday & had a brief chat....

No insight into where he'll play his football next season but he is around his home area ( Pembury) 
    Why would jonny Williams be friends with a hair dresser 😂
    If there's one thing hairdressers get sick of it's constantly being asked by their mates if they can just chuck them a quick free haircut every couple of months. If you're mates with Jonny you never have that problem. I'm surprised hairdressers aren't exclusively friends with bald people to be honest
  • Scoham said:
    Huddersfield, Middlesbrough and Luton all linked with Tyreece Simpson, if true and any are offering first team football that rules us out.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/42823/huddersfield-and-boro-linked-with-simpson
    Interesting that he went to Swindon and did really well and then Ipswich never played him. I would of thought it would be a big gamble by a championship team for him to jump 2 leagues. 
    He refused a new contract at Ipswich which is why they recalled him from Swindon to try and force him to sign
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Huddersfield, Middlesbrough and Luton all linked with Tyreece Simpson, if true and any are offering first team football that rules us out.

Interesting that he went to Swindon and did really well and then Ipswich never played him. I would of thought it would be a big gamble by a championship team for him to jump 2 leagues. 
    He refused a new contract at Ipswich which is why they recalled him from Swindon to try and force him to sign
    That worked well then.
  • WIth five subs from seven, you need 5 top players who can reliably contribute/bring something and a youngster to bring on when the game position allows. Plus of course a keeper. The youngster is an advantage of five subs.
  • I am still hopeful that Kirk will stay and show what he can do under a new manager. 
    Should make him captain 
  • I'm thoroughly enjoying watching Millwall lose all their best players this window. Long may it continue! 
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    THE 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS!

First I should apologize for yesterday's confusion. Being a fish I've only got short term memory, so when I asked what day it was and my wife said "Wednesday" I misheard it as "Pembury" and took it as a sign when in fact it was a red herring. 

Anyway, excuses aside, I'm saying 1 to be announced today... midfielder (clue for regular followers of this feature, NOT Emand Weep!)
    What Did You Do GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
  • We are still after Reed, think that one may happen soon but probably not before Spain.

Mckirdy is also one we want.
    have u heard something then? 
  • We are still after Reed, think that one may happen soon but probably not before Spain.

Mckirdy is also one we want.
    It makes you wonder who we wanted before Garner came in.
  • NabySarr said:
    Clarky said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I keep saying it but we need a small, pacey striker to complement the ones we've already got. Preferably one that knows where the goal is. 
    How do you fit them into a 433?
    Works if we play 532
    Then how are you fitting in Kirk, DJ and Blackett-Taylor? 
    We don’t need a small pacey striker. We need an all rounder who can hold the ball up but is also mobile enough to press while up front on his own. Lyle Taylor and Bonne would be examples of recent ones we’ve had that fit, Davison is the right kind of player just not very good 
    Agreed, I think my point is if our preferred system is 433 and that isn't working then we need a plan B. A pacey striker on the bench gives you options rather than replacing one big lump with another big lump.
  • swordfish said:
    THE 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS!

First I should apologize for yesterday's confusion. Being a fish I've only got short term memory, so when I asked what day it was and my wife said "Wednesday" I misheard it as "Pembury" and took it as a sign when in fact it was a red herring. 

Anyway, excuses aside, I'm saying 1 to be announced today... midfielder (clue for regular followers of this feature, NOT Emand Weep!)
    ...so let me get this right, its Red Herring on Wednesdays and the Swordfish is off ?
  • Are people hearing stuff or speculating? I'm confused

• Reed and Mckirdy are obvious ones Garner may want...