Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I wonder if there is a Fanny tingle anywhere in the house... ...eh @Fanny Fanackapan
  • JamesSeed said:
    Jesus, am I the only Lifer *not* in the loop?  :-(
    I heard that you weren't.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Can I just check…. 150+ pages or rumours, and not a single serious mention of O’Connell or Egbo? 
    Feel very let down  :-(
    That's because 99.9% of posters on this thread know feck all what's happening behind the scenes.
  • Interesting perhaps that our first signings were both defenders - could be coincidence of course but I like the idea of building a solid back 4 to give our midfield more freedom to press on, though I imagine Dobson will be kept on as that extra shield.

I'd say both signings are decent and show that we are definitely looking at building an actual team that will last for more than a single season but part of me would still like to see the kind of statement signing that would show real intent.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Can I just check…. 150+ pages or rumours, and not a single serious mention of O’Connell or Egbo? 
    @Braziliance speculated about O’ Connell as an option a few pages back 
  • thenewbie said:
    Interesting perhaps that our first signings were both defenders - could be coincidence of course but I like the idea of building a solid back 4 to give our midfield more freedom to press on, though I imagine Dobson will be kept on as that extra shield.

I'd say both signings are decent and show that we are definitely looking at building an actual team that will last for more than a single season but part of me would still like to see the kind of statement signing that would show real intent.
    That's because we were massively down in numbers in defence, having lost Matthews, Gunter, Pearce, Famewo and Purrington (plus Souare and Castillo). Indeed we still have no left back

Elsewhere, while there might be players who people here think aren't good enough, at least we have enough midfielders and strikers to easily fill a decent 11.
  • And a couple have quoted themselves talking about Egbo after Garner arrived, so they were there somewhere.
  • PWR much. On Sunday before the signings the forum was on the verge of a collective Waco and now in the space of two days and two signings nobody knows much about the forums on the verge of a mass orgasm. Have I missed something and can you all wait until I get my umbrella ☔️
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Jack Payne is an interesting one. Thought he was destined for big things after his break out year for Huddersfield in the season they got promoted from the Championship.

Then got loaned out to Oxford, Blackburn and Bradford who were all League One at the time.

Unsure why he landed in League Two. Had previously proved he could do it in the third tier. A bright spark that fizzled out? Attitude problems? I’m not sure.
    Wouldn’t say no to him, but in Fraser I think we have a similar player who is a level above. Could they play in the same midfield? Swindon had Williams LCM and Payne RCM so maybe it could work in league 1 with Fraser and Payne ahead of Dobson. 
    George Dobson will be one of the first names in the starting 11 unless he gets injured.!
    Sorry that wasn’t very clear, I meant ahead of him as in on the pitch playing further forward with Dobson as our holding midfielder 
    Ah got ya mate. Completely agree in what you have said, that would definitely be a very strong midfield.! 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    That's because 99.9% of posters on this thread know feck all what's happening behind the scenes.
    Can I suggest you raise that to 99 99% 🙄
  • 48 hours ago I'd not heard of either player but I'd hoped we go fishing for quality in League 1/2 for players in their early/mid 20s.
  • Jints said:
    48 hours ago I'd not heard of either player but I'd hoped we go fishing for quality in League 1/2 for players in their early/mid 20s.
    I had heard of Mandela because I watched the first playoff game against Port Vale.
  • There no panic if the third signing don’t happen before Saturday the player could always jet out and meet the squad if he signs say early next week 
  • Plaaayer said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I was sure I read someone mentioned O'Connell somewhere on here .
    Find it 
    Was mentioned, more of a player we should look at than a rumour though 
  • There no panic if the third signing don’t happen before Saturday the player could always jet out and meet the squad if he signs say early next week 
    Thanks Colin 😏
  • Just an observation but found the language on the two tweets announcing the 2 signings interesting.  O’Connell was described as a ball playing CB and Mandela an attacking full back.  I’m not arguing these aren’t qualities they possess, just funny how football’s changed and languages, optics and messaging is used.  When you think about it, is it because the club are trying to put a message across as to the style and brand TS keeps sharing in interviews, is it to reassure us as fans we’re getting exciting players, or is it just the done thing in football now?  
  • cabbles said:
    Just an observation but found the language on the two tweets announcing the 2 signings interesting.  O’Connell was described as a ball playing CB and Mandela an attacking full back.  I’m not arguing these aren’t qualities they possess, just funny how football’s changed and languages, optics and messaging is used.  When you think about it, is it because the club are trying to put a message across as to the style and brand TS keeps sharing in interviews, is it to reassure us as fans we’re getting exciting players, or is it just the done thing in football now?  
    I read it as a message to fans personally about playing style 
  • SOTF said:
    I guess the people claiming that Ben Garner won’t be in charge of signings can put that one to bed now 
    He's not in charge, likewise, he isn't not in charge. He is part of a recruitment team and has the right to veto or recommend targets as Steve Gallen has confirmed.

It really doesn't have to be one or the other where Ben Garner and signings is concerned.
    He has the final say on signings, as Gallen stated in his interview saying it would be ridiculous if he didn’t. 

This is now evident in him signing a centre back he admired from when he played against and a player from the team he just left, I’d say it’s unlikely we sign either of these if Garner isn’t here. 

In a nutshell, people can stop pretending Sandgaard is an evil ruler who won’t let managers sign players now and just get behind the team 
      That doesn't  explain how players like Schwartz or Innis arrived at CAFC. It could be a mystery in part. TS does have Palace connections I heard. 
    Don't know why this got 3 lols it's the most sensible thing the old goat has ever said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Garner has said that he would rather wait for the right players than rush some on now. Sounds like we might have to wait until after the Spain trip. BTW, I know nothing
    Thanks pigeon 
  • cabbles said:
    Just an observation but found the language on the two tweets announcing the 2 signings interesting.  O’Connell was described as a ball playing CB and Mandela an attacking full back.  I’m not arguing these aren’t qualities they possess, just funny how football’s changed and languages, optics and messaging is used.  When you think about it, is it because the club are trying to put a message across as to the style and brand TS keeps sharing in interviews, is it to reassure us as fans we’re getting exciting players, or is it just the done thing in football now?  
    I know where you are coming from cabbs however the clips clearly show O'Connell can play as well as hoof it. Early doors but he looks more skillful than some of our midfield players. 
  • RoanRedNY said:
    The Sandinistas are out in force and sifting through some old perceived slights to throw into a thread, that had just got interesting with the 2 new signings. How the 20 ton irony bucket isn’t hitting them between the eyes when they moan about moaning about a done to death recruitment topic is beyond me.  

Only hoping there’s some more quality signings coming in soon and as long as they are taking the team forward that’s a good start.
    ‘Sandinistas’ what is that all about?

Why are people so eager to create division amongst our fanbase. We all want the same thing dont we?
    To drive a steam train?
  • I know Gallen always says that we dont sign players based on position first, but more when they become available.

But its awesome we're sorting the defence out now rather than later.

Are you American @ForeverAddickted ?

The one word that could make me kill indiscriminately and I know where you live;)
    Bloody hell anyone hear what happened to ForeverAddickted a short while ago  :o dreadful news.
  • PWR much. On Sunday before the signings the forum was on the verge of a collective Waco and now in the space of two days and two signings nobody knows much about the forums on the verge of a mass orgasm. Have I missed something and can you all wait until I get my umbrella ☔️
    A collective sigh of relief for sure. Seen more as a signal that we're moving forward at last to both sceptics and optimists alike rather than being  testimony to the calibre of the incoming players, although their attributes appear to match the rhetoric of what we're about now.

What is it they say, gather rose buds while ye may because, as sure as shit, someone will soon be along to piss on your chips. 
  • SOTF said:
    I guess the people claiming that Ben Garner won’t be in charge of signings can put that one to bed now 
    He's not in charge, likewise, he isn't not in charge. He is part of a recruitment team and has the right to veto or recommend targets as Steve Gallen has confirmed.

It really doesn't have to be one or the other where Ben Garner and signings is concerned.
    He has the final say on signings, as Gallen stated in his interview saying it would be ridiculous if he didn’t. 

This is now evident in him signing a centre back he admired from when he played against and a player from the team he just left, I’d say it’s unlikely we sign either of these if Garner isn’t here. 

In a nutshell, people can stop pretending Sandgaard is an evil ruler who won’t let managers sign players now and just get behind the team 
      That doesn't  explain how players like Schwartz or Innis arrived at CAFC. It could be a mystery in part. TS does have Palace connections I heard. 
    Gallen is friends with Dougie Freedman sporting director at Palace.