Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• RedJohn said:
    After Albies impressive showing in a DM role, maybe he prefers Albie to Dobson
    I say it quietly but his place could be under threat, did Garner have a defensive jack russel type in his midfield last season?  I don’t think he did, as another poster said he likes a playmaker dropping deep, that’s not Dobson.  
  • cabbles said:
    Do we think we’ll bring anyone else in before Accrington?

If not, be interesting to see how we finally line up

Mac/Wollacott - haven’t a clue who is first choice 

Clare Inniss O’Connell Sessegnon

Morgan Dobson McGrandles (if fit)

CBT Stockley Kirk

Haven’t been following pre-season, so educated guess as to what I’ve picked up on here 

Wollacott

Clare, Innis, O’Connell, Sessegnon 

Dobson, JFC

Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

Subs: McGillivray, Lavelle, Clayden, Morgan, Jaiyesimi, Aneke, Leaburn

I suspect this is the 11 it's still the midfield shape that fascinates me. 
  • RedJohn said:
    Agreed, he’s exactly the sort of player BG would use in the holding role - the Lidl Louis Reed.

I can imagine Morgan/JFC being used there much more than Dobson this season
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

CBT Stockley Kirk

Haven’t been following pre-season, so educated guess as to what I’ve picked up on here 

Wollacott

Dobson, JFC

Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

magrandles ? 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

CBT Stockley Kirk

Wollacott

Dobson, JFC

Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

magrandles ? 
    He won't be fit for Accrington will he? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

CBT Stockley Kirk

Wollacott

Dobson, JFC

Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

magrandles ? 
    He won't be fit for Accrington will he? 
    Not if he’s not even trained yet, has he been spotted in the photos??  Then he’ll likely do a mini pre-season.
  • RedJohn said:
    Agreed, he’s exactly the sort of player BG would use in the holding role - the Lidl Louis Reed.

I agree, in theory.  If you looked at the most like for like copy of the way Swindon set up you would say JFC behind MacGrandles and Fraser would be it. 

What options did he have?  Did he set up like that because that's what he had or because that's how he wanted? 
  • With effectively 2 separate 11s playing Tuesday and Saturday, it'll be interesting to compare them after tomorrow's game.

It's a football cliche, but everyone starts with a clean slate under a new manager. Indeed this is the first completely clean break for a long long time, with no existing coaches retained, so Garner may spring a surprise when he picks his first side.
  • edited July 2022
    With effectively 2 separate 11s playing Tuesday and Saturday, it'll be interesting to compare them after tomorrow's game.

It's a football cliche, but everyone starts with a clean slate under a new manager. Indeed this is the first completely clean break for a long long time, with no existing coaches retained, so Garner may spring a surprise when he picks his first side.
    Agree said the other day he could easily shock us all and start Henry or Learburn.
  • RedRobin said:
    cabbles said:

CBT Stockley Kirk

Wollacott

Dobson, JFC

Fraser 

CBT, Stockley, Kirk 

Think this will be it if we sign nobody until then. 
    Even if we did sign someone, there's not much time to integrate them so they probably wouldn't start anyway. Unless of course they're a decent right back.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedJohn said:

I agree, in theory.  If you looked at the most like for like copy of the way Swindon set up you would say JFC behind MacGrandles and Fraser would be it. 

What options did he have?  Did he set up like that because that's what he had or because that's how he wanted? 
    I’m not well versed in Swindon’s transfer policy last year but I imagine he could have recruited a “destroyer” type player for holding midfield if he wanted to.  

I think the salient foundation of BG’s philosophy is retention of the football, which makes me believe we will see a more ball playing midfielder holding. 

Your suggestion is how I see our current strongest midfield 3. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    Only placing it here as he was once linked with us...

ffs…now I’ve got the bloody hokey kokey in my head 😖
    That's what it's all about ! 
  • My nagging question about Dobson has been "did he look that good last season because he was having to cover so many shortcomings of those around him?" 

Do we need that style of midfielder to play week in week out? He's high energy, combative and excellent at mopping up ahead of the defence, but from what I've seen so far we'll be aiming to win the ball higher up than him, and we need the central midfielders to push on up the pitch and pin teams in their own box when we're in possession, and I'm not sure that's his game 
  • cabbles said:

CBT Stockley Kirk

No goals in that line-up
  • Southbank said:
    cabbles said:

CBT Stockley Kirk

No goals in that line-up
    No goals in any line-up permutation. 
  • I know Garner has a style etc but George Dobson HAS to play. 
    Best player we have
  • RedJohn said:
    I wouldn't prefer Albie to a tree!
  • Dobson/O'Connell CB pair anyone? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Huddersfield looking to sign Solihull Moors 6 ft 9 striker Kyle Hudlin.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18798986/huddersfield-striker-kyle-hudlin-transfer
    Signed for AFCW with Jacko, on loan from Huddersfield
  • And Jack Rudoni has gone the other way, signing for Huddersfield.
  • I know Garner has a style etc but George Dobson HAS to play. 
    Best player we have

I think Dobson is actually an underrated passer of the ball, probably due to many people focusing on his ability to break up play. Many times he would get the ball back and spread a lovely weighted diagonal out to the wing. 

Will certainly be interesting to see how he does with BenBall and us hopefully having much of the possession and being more patient and playing shorter passes out from the back. 

In the limited time during pre-season we saw him in my opinion I don’t think he looked that comfortable. Just because he was the best player under Jackson, does not mean he will be under Garner. Indeed we have already seen l, and I think we will see more of it, that our forward thinking midfielders such as Fraser are looking a lot more promising.

Obviously though if we can play a high possession attacking style of football and Dobson is still churning out quality performances it will mean we are in a very good place. 

• Dobson will be fine, decent passer of the ball, will probably need to be snappier with his passing for Garner, but he's good enough 
  • Southbank said:
    cabbles said:

CBT Stockley Kirk

No goals in that line-up
    Ffs, here we go again giving Morgan another chance, will people never  learn.
  • Bournesnr said:
    Only on CL would anyone want to convert their best midfielder and player of the year into a a CB
    That’s a no from me.
    He played the position in at least one EPL academy. Mascherano at Barcelona showed what's possible - perhaps not Dobson's level, but in such a dynamic formation, wouldn't it be good to have someone like that in defence?