Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Think Kanu might well get an opportunity early on this season and by the looks of him I reckon he'll grab it with both hands.

Our problem might be keeping hold of him after Christmas!
    He hasn’t developed physically yet, he is a good goal scorer, needs to work on other sides of his game, he will be in the u23s for now!

Mason Burstow hadn't developed physically but he still played and scored early doors despite being bullied by CB. The irony was he never looked like scoring after his move to Chelsea which took me by surprise on D day.
    We actually had no other choice at that point 
    The same will happen again if we don't get 2 forwards in to replace the 2 who have left.
    As someone wiser said earlier in the thread, if you are worrying about the 3 strikers we have not being enough for the 1 striker spot, surely the 3 wide players we have for 2 spots would be more of a concern?

That being said, now Davison has gone I'm quite sure we'll get a loanee in that can be 3rd choice striker. And assumedly a loanee wide player and a loanee defender.
    We need a first choice striker who can start and play 90 minutes with Stockley. Aneke is our 3rd choice striker as he will only be on the pitch for 30m per game.
    What formation are you expecting us to play? Obviously we will have 3 CMs that is a given. So I assume you think we will be playing 3-5-2? Which would make Kirk, DJ and CBT defunct.

Nah, we are clearly playing a 4-3-3. So where does this first choice striker fit?

If you mean to replace Stockley, I'd be fine with that but it's not going to happen, and if we got rid of Stockley there would be a lot of mouths frothing about Sandgaard. Stockley won't be anything but first choice and Chuks would be a waste as not the main sub of him.
    Assuming his first choice is close to Sutton, there are not enough goals in that line-up, even with Payne instead of JFC. We struggled to score enough goals last season with Stockley AND Washington on the pitch at the same time, and Aneke on the bench. There is nobody in the squad with a goal scoring record anywhere near as good as Washington's. So where are the goals coming from?

As it happnes, DJ and CBT both operated reasonably as wing backs and Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon can all play there.. But Kirk would be redundant that is true,. Given he is still pretty unproven that is no great loss.

I would play 3-5-2 with this squad because of the lack of goals in any of the possible  4-4-2 or 4-3-3 line-ups. We have 4 decent centre backs, 4 decent wing backs and 4 decent centre mids, ie plenty of choice for rotation (excluding JFC if he leaves). We just need one good extra starting striker.
    Oh good god no. The whole point of this summer has been that we aren't going to spend weeks and weeks playing players out of position again. Some players who did 'reasonably well' as wing backs? Be still my beating heart. The issue isn't that there's not enough goals in Stockley or others, it's that the team had absolutely no idea of how to supply each other. Part of that was because we had wingers as wingbacks, full backs as centre backs, midfielders as defenders and sometimes midfielders as strikers. There will be more goals in players like CBT and Kirk if they actually play in their natural positions and if there's a plan for how to play football, which we sadly seemed to lack under Jackson. The goals come from an effective system, not just crowbarring players into random positions to get more strikers on the pitch, as Jackson learned to his cost.
    This with knobs on. 
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Think Kanu might well get an opportunity early on this season and by the looks of him I reckon he'll grab it with both hands.

Our problem might be keeping hold of him after Christmas!
    He hasn’t developed physically yet, he is a good goal scorer, needs to work on other sides of his game, he will be in the u23s for now!

Mason Burstow hadn't developed physically but he still played and scored early doors despite being bullied by CB. The irony was he never looked like scoring after his move to Chelsea which took me by surprise on D day.
    We actually had no other choice at that point 
    The same will happen again if we don't get 2 forwards in to replace the 2 who have left.
    As someone wiser said earlier in the thread, if you are worrying about the 3 strikers we have not being enough for the 1 striker spot, surely the 3 wide players we have for 2 spots would be more of a concern?

That being said, now Davison has gone I'm quite sure we'll get a loanee in that can be 3rd choice striker. And assumedly a loanee wide player and a loanee defender.
    We need a first choice striker who can start and play 90 minutes with Stockley. Aneke is our 3rd choice striker as he will only be on the pitch for 30m per game.
    What formation are you expecting us to play? Obviously we will have 3 CMs that is a given. So I assume you think we will be playing 3-5-2? Which would make Kirk, DJ and CBT defunct.

Nah, we are clearly playing a 4-3-3. So where does this first choice striker fit?

If you mean to replace Stockley, I'd be fine with that but it's not going to happen, and if we got rid of Stockley there would be a lot of mouths frothing about Sandgaard. Stockley won't be anything but first choice and Chuks would be a waste as not the main sub of him.
    Assuming his first choice is close to Sutton, there are not enough goals in that line-up, even with Payne instead of JFC. We struggled to score enough goals last season with Stockley AND Washington on the pitch at the same time, and Aneke on the bench. There is nobody in the squad with a goal scoring record anywhere near as good as Washington's. So where are the goals coming from?

As it happnes, DJ and CBT both operated reasonably as wing backs and Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon can all play there.. But Kirk would be redundant that is true,. Given he is still pretty unproven that is no great loss.

I would play 3-5-2 with this squad because of the lack of goals in any of the possible  4-4-2 or 4-3-3 line-ups. We have 4 decent centre backs, 4 decent wing backs and 4 decent centre mids, ie plenty of choice for rotation (excluding JFC if he leaves). We just need one good extra starting striker.
    Oh good god no. The whole point of this summer has been that we aren't going to spend weeks and weeks playing players out of position again. Some players who did 'reasonably well' as wing backs? Be still my beating heart. The issue isn't that there's not enough goals in Stockley or others, it's that the team had absolutely no idea of how to supply each other. Part of that was because we had wingers as wingbacks, full backs as centre backs, midfielders as defenders and sometimes midfielders as strikers. There will be more goals in players like CBT and Kirk if they actually play in their natural positions and if there's a plan for how to play football, which we sadly seemed to lack under Jackson. The goals come from an effective system, not just crowbarring players into random positions to get more strikers on the pitch, as Jackson learned to his cost.
    This with knobs on. 
    Really? You've been banging on about how we need strikers and now you're agreeing with a post that says the goals will come if we play an effective system?
  • Scoham said:
    Rules us out then based on the last two words 
  • Please not Master Bates. 
    It maybe one way to stiffen up the defence.
  • David Bates was ok at Hamburg...nothing more. Not bad in the air. Had a bad injury and seems to have lost his way. 

• Oxford mentioned as being strongly interested in Lewis Bate from Leeds. Not as if we need anymore CMs but he'd have been a great addition. 
  • MarcusH26 said:

Oxford mentioned as being strongly interested in Lewis Bate from Leeds. Not as if we need anymore CMs but he'd have been a great addition. 
    Local lad. 
  • we need at least one extra forward who has proved that he able to play Division ONE football and one other. No loans or youth please.

• quality player Bate and local like you say. I know Gallen has enquired about him before. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely dont need no more CMs for now? 

Striker and attacking winger is priority. 
  • I’d still take Bate if we can, too good to turn down. Morgan and Gilbey are dispensable. 
  • True but they should be leaving first before we sign anymore though. 
  • True but they should be leaving first before we sign anymore though. 
    True enough. For what it's worth I don't think we'll be in for Bate and I don't think Morgan or Gilbey will leave, just JFC. 
  • Already been said on here that we're not (or at least weren't) in for Bate from a friend of the family who post on here @Bexley Dan
  • With Fraser and now Payne I cannot see us going for Lewis Bate.
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:
    Only wishful thinking but no Scully in the Lincoln team tonight. 
    Its not surprising really, but he's being linked with a reunion at Blackpool with Appleton... Worked together last season. 
    Same/similar position to Dale?

I was at the Lincoln home game, forever to be known as the Gilbey two acts of madness game or the game we realized that Conor Washington could miss all 4 of his chances;  I need to move on.

Without checking who was the Charlie Kirk lookalike was it Dale or Scully who was ginger but played on the right but was very left footed. The opposite of Kirk but had an effective 1st half when attacking the Covered end ?

Sam, surprised you didn't know the answer to that, what with you being an expert and your vast network of Scouts, Coaches and players you talk to !

Anthony Scully, the Irish 23 year old lad is yer man who has a slight resemblance to Charlie Kirk if you haven't been to Specsavers for a while, and did play right flank and either fed the over lapping full back or cut in on his favoured left foot and scored as the Cafc defense fell asleep. Also when getting taken off he decided to walk around the pitch at the Jimmy Seed end to get a good reception rather than in front of the Covered end where he might be reminded of the "troubles in Northern Ireland"
    Scully was born in London but has an Irish accent so it's either Kilburn or his family went back to his dad's country.

As has been mentioned, Anthony Scully, who's Dad Tony (same name !) was a pro Journeyman footballer who can claim to have played for Man city and Palace on his travel making 257 apps on his travels. 

Anthony may get a move to Blackpool where the ex male model Michael Appleton is now in charge. Scully Missed a couple of months with a knee injury but was sharp towards the end of the 21/22 season.

Glad to help.

• Does anybody know if Bate is signing? :)
  • Redhenry said:
    Does anybody know if Bate is signing? :)
    Are you fishing for likes & lols?😜  ( and before the spelling police kick in, I know)
  • edited July 2022
    Dot
  • Sponsored links:

• 🚨 nonsense Twitter rumour alert 🚨 Accuracy: as Katrien said “just 2%”.
  • Scoham said:
    🚨 nonsense Twitter rumour alert 🚨 Accuracy: as Katrien said “just 2%”.
    Rock on Tommy 
  • LB, LB, LB and once more for luck a Left Back with pace and this is quite radical, a left footed Lb. I know this is unlikely as cafc think they have this covered with Stephen but he isn't Ryan Sessegnon and I'm not convinced he can cross with his left foot from an advanced position after overlapping. If he can then great if not CBT you are still on the left.  Unless Jack Payne has that gig with his "wand of a left foot" according to a Swindon fan.

All will be revealed soon.

• Hopefully he can fire us to promotion.

• He called Jack Payne to be fair so might be legs in it
  • Hopefully he can fire us to promotion.

Hell of a shot on him