Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• paulfox said:
    If we get Cannon and Bishop, we can pay there wages with some of the money we got for Pope
    More chance of getting cannon and ball!!!🤣
    Fucking Jim cannon
  • Chunes said:
    Re: "Where will where the goals will come from..." Interesting fact: In our 2003-04 season (best in living memory) our top scorer was Euell with 10 league goals. 
    But 7th won't get you promoted?
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    Re: "Where will where the goals will come from..." Interesting fact: In our 2003-04 season (best in living memory) our top scorer was Euell with 10 league goals. 
    We were all there. We know why we finished 7th in the end. Didn't think I'd have to say it tbh!
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Think Kanu might well get an opportunity early on this season and by the looks of him I reckon he'll grab it with both hands.

Our problem might be keeping hold of him after Christmas!
    He hasn’t developed physically yet, he is a good goal scorer, needs to work on other sides of his game, he will be in the u23s for now!

Mason Burstow hadn't developed physically but he still played and scored early doors despite being bullied by CB. The irony was he never looked like scoring after his move to Chelsea which took me by surprise on D day.
    We actually had no other choice at that point 
    The same will happen again if we don't get 2 forwards in to replace the 2 who have left.
    As someone wiser said earlier in the thread, if you are worrying about the 3 strikers we have not being enough for the 1 striker spot, surely the 3 wide players we have for 2 spots would be more of a concern?

That being said, now Davison has gone I'm quite sure we'll get a loanee in that can be 3rd choice striker. And assumedly a loanee wide player and a loanee defender.
    We need a first choice striker who can start and play 90 minutes with Stockley. Aneke is our 3rd choice striker as he will only be on the pitch for 30m per game.
    What formation are you expecting us to play? Obviously we will have 3 CMs that is a given. So I assume you think we will be playing 3-5-2? Which would make Kirk, DJ and CBT defunct.

Nah, we are clearly playing a 4-3-3. So where does this first choice striker fit?

If you mean to replace Stockley, I'd be fine with that but it's not going to happen, and if we got rid of Stockley there would be a lot of mouths frothing about Sandgaard. Stockley won't be anything but first choice and Chuks would be a waste as not the main sub of him.
    Assuming his first choice is close to Sutton, there are not enough goals in that line-up, even with Payne instead of JFC. We struggled to score enough goals last season with Stockley AND Washington on the pitch at the same time, and Aneke on the bench. There is nobody in the squad with a goal scoring record anywhere near as good as Washington's. So where are the goals coming from?

As it happnes, DJ and CBT both operated reasonably as wing backs and Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon can all play there.. But Kirk would be redundant that is true,. Given he is still pretty unproven that is no great loss.

I would play 3-5-2 with this squad because of the lack of goals in any of the possible  4-4-2 or 4-3-3 line-ups. We have 4 decent centre backs, 4 decent wing backs and 4 decent centre mids, ie plenty of choice for rotation (excluding JFC if he leaves). We just need one good extra starting striker.
    Oh good god no. The whole point of this summer has been that we aren't going to spend weeks and weeks playing players out of position again. Some players who did 'reasonably well' as wing backs? Be still my beating heart. The issue isn't that there's not enough goals in Stockley or others, it's that the team had absolutely no idea of how to supply each other. Part of that was because we had wingers as wingbacks, full backs as centre backs, midfielders as defenders and sometimes midfielders as strikers. There will be more goals in players like CBT and Kirk if they actually play in their natural positions and if there's a plan for how to play football, which we sadly seemed to lack under Jackson. The goals come from an effective system, not just crowbarring players into random positions to get more strikers on the pitch, as Jackson learned to his cost.
    CBT and Kirk have scored 34 goals between them in 280 league games. If they were that good this season they would score 11 goals this season, as two out of our front three. Even if Stockley has a great season and scores 20 that would be nowhere near enough to be successful.

Is that what you want? There are simply not enough goals in a side with them and Stockley as the front three. We need another goalscorer on the pitch.
    Yeah, like Payne (13 goals last season) and Fraser (14 goals for MK Dons when played in a system that suited him). I am hopeful we'll sign another winger focused more on goalscoring, but this idea that 'need more goals = must have more strikers on the pitch' is daft. If our system works and is effective we should be getting goals from all over the pitch, not just from the front three. Swindon had 15 different goalscorers last season, six of them getting 5 or more, with Payne getting the second most. We also should be pulling more goals out of players like Kirk and CBT who didn't previously have great goal records by playing them in a system that encourages goals from players in those positions. McKirdy was Swindon's top scorer with 19 goals. His previous maximum was 5 and his career total was 10. He played on the wing as well as up front. Holding midfielders, wingbacks, centre backs and Jonny bloody Williams chipped in with goals for them and they ended up the league's top scorers. The alternative plan, of playing lots of players out of position just so we get to have two strikers on the pitch is exactly what we tried last season. I know we had injuries but we got 13 and 11 goals out of our strikers and the next highest goalscorer had 4. It was Ben Purrington. The midfield contributed absolutely nothing in terms of goals and that's what did so much damage to us. We finished 13th. The system - if it works - will generate the goals from multiple areas rather than relying on just one extra goals man.
    The only slight concern with the past goal scoring records you quote for Payne & Fraser is that about 50% of their goals were penalties.

We’re gonna need some favourable refereeing to get them both as many spot kicks again this season.
    Then we need to sign Zaha. :smile:

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    We were all there. We know why we finished 7th in the end. Didn't think I'd have to say it tbh!
    Because we didn't score enough goals?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I recall something about Scott Parker leaving for Chelsea but hey ho you may be right. 
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I recall something about Scott Parker leaving for Chelsea but hey ho you may be right. 
    But would we not have scored more goals had Parker stayed? Or do you think we would have conceded less? 
  • Already been said on here that we're not (or at least weren't) in for Bate from a friend of the family who post on here @Bexley Dan
    That’s correct brown nose - got interest from plenty of championship clubs 
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    But would we not have scored more goals had Parker stayed? Or do you think we would have conceded less? 
    This is really getting far from any kind of point I was trying to make (which I wasn't actually). I just thought it was interesting that with all this talk about looking at our squad and assessing how we need X amount of goals from these players to be successful, actually our most successful team of the modern era did not have a plethora of goal scorers. It had one striker scoring just 10 and then a bunch of players chipping in with 4 or 5. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

This is really getting far from any kind of point I was trying to make (which I wasn't actually). I just thought it was interesting that with all this talk about looking at our squad and assessing how we need X amount of goals from these players to be successful, actually our most successful team of the modern era did not have a plethora of goal scorers. It had one striker scoring just 10 and then a bunch of players chipping in with 4 or 5. 
    Yeah to be fair the Premier League years always felt like that until Bent arrived. The clear difference being that bar one season we were not real contenders to be right up there. You don't need 3 players to score 12-15 goals or 2 to score 18+ when 10th would be a great achievement. You do, generally speaking, to get promoted/finish in the top 3. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Yes I know I was there! 
  • When away from home CBT could well be getting the ball on the half way line so it's a strange discussion to have. What I hope we all agree on ( we won't) is that CBT doesn't spend time on the edge of his box. Even when the opposition have a corner I would keep CBT on the Half way line and do what Swindon and Charlton did with Davison and Washington and a big punt forward resulted in a goal !

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Of course it's the best team we have had in almost anyone that will read this life time, let alone memory. 

But every time we have been promoted, in the last 30 years, we have had someone score 20+ goals and someone else with 10 or so AND a bunch of players chipping in with 4 or 5.

The times we have have got into the play off semis and lost we haven't had that goal scorer and it's cost us.   In fact, outside of the top flight, the only regular goal scorer I remember us having and not getting promoted was David Whyte and he only got 18.
  • Can we not have a thread just for actual rumours, and this thread for the discussion.
  • edited July 2022

I've heard there may be a rumours thread starting very soon, just for rumours, but that may just be a rumour...🤔🤪🤷‍♂️
  • The reason for no rumours is because most, if not all our signings so far have not been rumours until the last minute
  • PWR

Any actual rumours or just folks being able to talk the hind legs off a donkey about absolutely anything and nothing related to the topic;)
    You’ll have to read it to find out… go on, it’ll be REALLY worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    A rumour, we won't sign Bishop so don't waste your time thinking about it.

We almost certainly won't sign Stockton or May either.  Or a first team left back.

As you were.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

We almost certainly won't sign Stockton or May either.  Or a first team left back.

As you were.
    Rumours ! So who is coming in ?
    CB , possibly LB and a striker / goalscoring winger as BG said 3 more signings 
    Think he said 3 before Payne, I may be/ probably Am wrong!!,, left back and mobile striker absolute minimum, then maybe the odd loan and hope one is mustard🤞
  • paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

As you were.
    Think he said 3 before Payne, I may be/ probably Am wrong!!,, left back and mobile striker absolute minimum, then maybe the odd loan and hope one is mustard🤞
    You're not, Garner did say 3 before Payne. Not quite sure 2 would be enough, has to be at least 3/4. I think we've all learned not to hang on the words of Sandgaard/Garner though, transfer windows are very unpredictable!
  • paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

As you were.
    You're not, Garner did say 3 before Payne. Not quite sure 2 would be enough, has to be at least 3/4. I think we've all learned not to hang on the words of Sandgaard/Garner though, transfer windows are very unpredictable!
    Would be surprised after letting Davison go, something isn’t lined up in that area, also disappointed if not. They know what is required, my worry is whether we are attractive enough anymore for the real good loans, because if they can’t push into the team seems little point in having them. After all Bowyer is no longer here to make them all better!!😂
  • edited July 2022
    RedJohn said:
    Can we not have a thread just for actual rumours, and this thread for the discussion.
    I reckon if you only posted press rumours and tweets relating to us this summer, only posting them once without discussion, I doubt the thread would make it onto a 2nd page. Maybe it would with random sightings of Conchita Wurst doppelganger's with Mrs Leaburn and Johnny Williams sightings in Macdonald's and the Bulls Head though 😎

Almost forgot the 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS feature of course, which is probably for the best 😎
  • Need a striker in before Saturday, can't see us beating Swansea otherwise. 
    Lol!, he’d get injured for the Accy game