Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I repeat it again...Cole Stockton or Alfie May. Still available and we need one of them to get promoted.  We have Stockley and Chuks only and both are made of glass. 
    Stockley made of glass? Over the last 5 seasons he's played 38, 41, 35, 45 and 48 games (all competitions). Considering the way the bloke puts himself about I think that's very decent. 
    Fair point on Stockley - I just have bad memories of when he was injured and all our forwards were out so we had no one. Was in January/February. 
    That situation was exacerbated by us continuing to play 2 up front when we had no senior strikers available. 
  • mart77 said:
    Really can’t see it

Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up at Crawley
  • Redhenry said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Re: "Where will where the goals will come from..." Interesting fact: In our 2003-04 season (best in living memory) our top scorer was Euell with 10 league goals. 
    And if we repeat that season we will finish 7th with a zero goal difference.

Personally I would take that, if offered, now.
    That's a joke, right?
    7th would be a big improvement on last season.  I’d take that, unless we actually get a couple of strikers in .
  • edited July 2022
    Why would any Charlton fan accept 7th in the 3rd division ? We are underperforming as a club. Sadly though I'm not confident we will finish that high at the moment. We are becoming an established 3rd tier club , which in 50 years of watching Charlton , is something I never thought I would see.
    Its not about acceptance, its being realistic.

Going from 13th to 7th in what is becoming an increasingly competitive League One, would be a massive improvement from last season.

If last season was nothing more than a performance blip from a lot of individuals (it happens in Sport... Look at Geraint Thomas in the Tour, he's barely been GC Contention since he won it), then we can hopefully expect to see an all round improvement, which could see us competing for the top six.

But until we see the team in action over the course of August... Its ridiculous to make any expectations.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Why would any Charlton fan accept 7th in the 3rd division ? We are underperforming as a club. Sadly though I'm not confident we will finish that high at the moment. We are becoming an established 3rd tier club , which in 50 years of watching Charlton , is something I never thought I would see.
    Its not about acceptance, its being realistic.

Going from 13th to 7th in what is becoming an increasingly competitive League One, (regardless of our history that people beat themselves off over) - Would be a massive improvement from last season.

If last season was nothing more than a performance blip from a lot of individuals (it happens in Sport... Look at Geraint Thomas in the Tour, he's barely been GC Contention since he won it), then we can hopefully expect to see an all round improvement, which could see us competing for the top six.

But until we see the team in action over the course of August... Its ridiculous to make any aspirations.
    Aspirations are different from expectations.

This club should always aspire to be higher that division 3.

As to what we can or should expect there are, for me, far too many unknowns (new manager, new players, new style of play, future signings, opposition strength etc etc) to say what we should expect but I know I aspire to get at least top six and promotion.
    Cheers I've updated my post slightly.

I do raise an eyebrow though at what is acceptable and what our aspirations should be though, which is why I dont see the point of talking about it in the present tense.

We of course aspire to be a Premier League team again - But would that be the level of acceptance for many on here, or would they settle for mid-table obscurity as a Championship side again? - Its all relative, as those feelings should change as we progress as a Football team.
  • The problem is, right now, if Stockley gets injured we have to start Aneke, and will then be forced to use Leaburn or Kanu for 30 to 45 minutes per match.

I think you almost have to ignore Aneke. He will
    be used and will be a great weapon off the bench, but he’s kind of in his own unique niche. If you take him out of the equation we have one Senior striker and two kids, and the senior one has some injury question marks attached. 
    This.

If our 2 strikers were players who started every game, weekin, week out, then that's fair enough, but we saw last season what happens when 1 or 2 gets injured. 

To start the season with basically 1 and a half strikers is pure madness. 

But this year is different & I"m certain we will being in a striker over the next week or so. 
    I may be wrong but I get the feeling if Stockley or Chucks get injured we will use Leaburn which is a perfect way to blood him in 1st team football.

Based on what we have spent so far this window which I believe is zero I cannot see TS putting his hand in his pocket for a big signing.

No way the Pope money is going on a transfer war chest, that will cut the running costs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    No we haven't paid a fee, because we haven't had too, and signed decent players regardless. This weird little narrative this summer, of player has come on a free, so must be shit, is tiring. 
    I am not suggesting they are shit because they are free, I am liking the look of some of the new lads and feel positive about the whole new setup. However thanks for clarifying we have not paid a fee for anyone.....................fairys do exist.
  • Rothko said:
    No we haven't paid a fee, because we haven't had too, and signed decent players regardless. This weird little narrative this summer, of player has come on a free, so must be shit, is tiring. 
    I don't think I've seen anyone on here saying our new signings are shit.
    But I think if we were to sign a Stockton or May it would give everyone a lift.
  • Rothko said:
    I suppose everyone whinging also thinks that Ronnie Schwartz was better than Yann Kermorgant! 
    Schwartz had a better record in Denmark!
  • The problem is, right now, if Stockley gets injured we have to start Aneke, and will then be forced to use Leaburn or Kanu for 30 to 45 minutes per match.

I think you almost have to ignore Aneke. He will
    be used and will be a great weapon off the bench, but he’s kind of in his own unique niche. If you take him out of the equation we have one Senior striker and two kids, and the senior one has some injury question marks attached. 
    This.

If our 2 strikers were players who started every game, weekin, week out, then that's fair enough, but we saw last season what happens when 1 or 2 gets injured. 

To start the season with basically 1 and a half strikers is pure madness. 

But this year is different & I"m certain we will being in a striker over the next week or so. 
    I may be wrong but I get the feeling if Stockley or Chucks get injured we will use Leaburn which is a perfect way to blood him in 1st team football.

Based on what we have spent so far this window which I believe is zero I cannot see TS putting his hand in his pocket for a big signing.

No way the Pope money is going on a transfer war chest, that will cut the running costs.
    Spent zero ? Do you think that the players we’ve signed were left at Sparrows by the transfer fairy ? Blooding Leaburn out of necessity isn’t the perfect way of developing him. 
    Your replies are very aggressive nowadays Shooters, I was posting thoughts, not cast in stone actuals, I am not in the know.

Am I mistaken then, have we paid a transfer fee for any of the new players so far?

And I agree, blooding Leaburn to soon could lead to problems, however I was suggesting that TS may see this as a way to avoid paying a fee for someone like Stockton or May.
    Free transfers will still involve signing on fees and agents fees, so yes, fees have been paid. 
  • Mike getting a hard time this morning, I'm sure he's perfectly aware that no signings are completely free, everyone got his point. Not sure I remember Roland getting too much praise for all the money he paid out in the summer of 2018?