Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• They're also a ridiculous troll, claiming Garner should be fired after the Kilmarnock friendly. Didn't get any bites, thankfully, until now 
  • PWADDICK said:

He called Jack Payne to be fair so might be legs in it
    Did they chuff. 90% of Charlton fans could have guessed we were in for Payne. This page said it was nearly over the line (2 weeks before it was a done deal). 

On 28th June they claimed Dunkley had signed for Charlton. 

On 23rd June they claimed our bid was accepted for Reed and it should be done the next day. 

It's a page run by a random Charlton fan who needs to get a life. 

Don't we all!
  • Hopefully he can fire us to promotion.

Hell of a shot on him

It’s risky. Heard he likes a bit of powder…
  • Sounds like he won’t be going to Pompey either. I imagine he may be available for a cheaper price later on in the window as Accrington look to get whatever they can.
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    🚨 nonsense Twitter rumour alert 🚨 Accuracy: as Katrien said “just 2%”.

I believe this could be the other railway football team Crewe Alexandra; all change.
    Chuff Chuff nonsense from a wannabe.
    ( No not me 🤦🏻‍♂️)
  • edited July 2022
    Blackpool pulling out of Bishop deal as are back in for Kirk.

You heard it here first.
  • McKirdy the one i don't want. He's a whiny troublemaker whose had one good season
    Well if he does all that for us, I’d be happy!
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Think Kanu might well get an opportunity early on this season and by the looks of him I reckon he'll grab it with both hands.

Our problem might be keeping hold of him after Christmas!
    He hasn’t developed physically yet, he is a good goal scorer, needs to work on other sides of his game, he will be in the u23s for now!

Mason Burstow hadn't developed physically but he still played and scored early doors despite being bullied by CB. The irony was he never looked like scoring after his move to Chelsea which took me by surprise on D day.
    We actually had no other choice at that point 
    The same will happen again if we don't get 2 forwards in to replace the 2 who have left.
    As someone wiser said earlier in the thread, if you are worrying about the 3 strikers we have not being enough for the 1 striker spot, surely the 3 wide players we have for 2 spots would be more of a concern?

That being said, now Davison has gone I'm quite sure we'll get a loanee in that can be 3rd choice striker. And assumedly a loanee wide player and a loanee defender.
    We need a first choice striker who can start and play 90 minutes with Stockley. Aneke is our 3rd choice striker as he will only be on the pitch for 30m per game.
    What formation are you expecting us to play? Obviously we will have 3 CMs that is a given. So I assume you think we will be playing 3-5-2? Which would make Kirk, DJ and CBT defunct.

Nah, we are clearly playing a 4-3-3. So where does this first choice striker fit?

If you mean to replace Stockley, I'd be fine with that but it's not going to happen, and if we got rid of Stockley there would be a lot of mouths frothing about Sandgaard. Stockley won't be anything but first choice and Chuks would be a waste as not the main sub of him.
    Assuming his first choice is close to Sutton, there are not enough goals in that line-up, even with Payne instead of JFC. We struggled to score enough goals last season with Stockley AND Washington on the pitch at the same time, and Aneke on the bench. There is nobody in the squad with a goal scoring record anywhere near as good as Washington's. So where are the goals coming from?

As it happnes, DJ and CBT both operated reasonably as wing backs and Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon can all play there.. But Kirk would be redundant that is true,. Given he is still pretty unproven that is no great loss.

I would play 3-5-2 with this squad because of the lack of goals in any of the possible  4-4-2 or 4-3-3 line-ups. We have 4 decent centre backs, 4 decent wing backs and 4 decent centre mids, ie plenty of choice for rotation (excluding JFC if he leaves). We just need one good extra starting striker.
    Oh good god no. The whole point of this summer has been that we aren't going to spend weeks and weeks playing players out of position again. Some players who did 'reasonably well' as wing backs? Be still my beating heart. The issue isn't that there's not enough goals in Stockley or others, it's that the team had absolutely no idea of how to supply each other. Part of that was because we had wingers as wingbacks, full backs as centre backs, midfielders as defenders and sometimes midfielders as strikers. There will be more goals in players like CBT and Kirk if they actually play in their natural positions and if there's a plan for how to play football, which we sadly seemed to lack under Jackson. The goals come from an effective system, not just crowbarring players into random positions to get more strikers on the pitch, as Jackson learned to his cost.
    CBT and Kirk have scored 34 goals between them in 280 league games. If they were that good this season they would score 11 goals this season, as two out of our front three. Even if Stockley has a great season and scores 20 that would be nowhere near enough to be successful.

Is that what you want? There are simply not enough goals in a side with them and Stockley as the front three. We need another goalscorer on the pitch.
    Yeah, like Payne (13 goals last season) and Fraser (14 goals for MK Dons when played in a system that suited him). I am hopeful we'll sign another winger focused more on goalscoring, but this idea that 'need more goals = must have more strikers on the pitch' is daft. If our system works and is effective we should be getting goals from all over the pitch, not just from the front three. Swindon had 15 different goalscorers last season, six of them getting 5 or more, with Payne getting the second most. We also should be pulling more goals out of players like Kirk and CBT who didn't previously have great goal records by playing them in a system that encourages goals from players in those positions. McKirdy was Swindon's top scorer with 19 goals. His previous maximum was 5 and his career total was 10. He played on the wing as well as up front. Holding midfielders, wingbacks, centre backs and Jonny bloody Williams chipped in with goals for them and they ended up the league's top scorers. The alternative plan, of playing lots of players out of position just so we get to have two strikers on the pitch is exactly what we tried last season. I know we had injuries but we got 13 and 11 goals out of our strikers and the next highest goalscorer had 4. It was Ben Purrington. The midfield contributed absolutely nothing in terms of goals and that's what did so much damage to us. We finished 13th. The system - if it works - will generate the goals from multiple areas rather than relying on just one extra goals man.
    I really hope you are right and we can turn a group of failed goalscorers into goalscorers.

• Sponsored links:

• Rylo said:
    Hopefully he can fire us to promotion.

Hell of a shot on him

Heard he's got a short fuse!
  • Scoham said:
    🚨 nonsense Twitter rumour alert 🚨 Accuracy: as Katrien said “just 2%”.
    Should be a blast!
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Think Kanu might well get an opportunity early on this season and by the looks of him I reckon he'll grab it with both hands.

He hasn’t developed physically yet, he is a good goal scorer, needs to work on other sides of his game, he will be in the u23s for now!

Mason Burstow hadn't developed physically but he still played and scored early doors despite being bullied by CB. The irony was he never looked like scoring after his move to Chelsea which took me by surprise on D day.
    The same will happen again if we don't get 2 forwards in to replace the 2 who have left.
    As someone wiser said earlier in the thread, if you are worrying about the 3 strikers we have not being enough for the 1 striker spot, surely the 3 wide players we have for 2 spots would be more of a concern?

That being said, now Davison has gone I'm quite sure we'll get a loanee in that can be 3rd choice striker. And assumedly a loanee wide player and a loanee defender.
    We need a first choice striker who can start and play 90 minutes with Stockley. Aneke is our 3rd choice striker as he will only be on the pitch for 30m per game.
    What formation are you expecting us to play? Obviously we will have 3 CMs that is a given. So I assume you think we will be playing 3-5-2? Which would make Kirk, DJ and CBT defunct.

Nah, we are clearly playing a 4-3-3. So where does this first choice striker fit?

If you mean to replace Stockley, I'd be fine with that but it's not going to happen, and if we got rid of Stockley there would be a lot of mouths frothing about Sandgaard. Stockley won't be anything but first choice and Chuks would be a waste as not the main sub of him.
    Assuming his first choice is close to Sutton, there are not enough goals in that line-up, even with Payne instead of JFC. We struggled to score enough goals last season with Stockley AND Washington on the pitch at the same time, and Aneke on the bench. There is nobody in the squad with a goal scoring record anywhere near as good as Washington's. So where are the goals coming from?

As it happnes, DJ and CBT both operated reasonably as wing backs and Egbo, Clare and Sessegnon can all play there.. But Kirk would be redundant that is true,. Given he is still pretty unproven that is no great loss.

I would play 3-5-2 with this squad because of the lack of goals in any of the possible  4-4-2 or 4-3-3 line-ups. We have 4 decent centre backs, 4 decent wing backs and 4 decent centre mids, ie plenty of choice for rotation (excluding JFC if he leaves). We just need one good extra starting striker.
    Oh good god no. The whole point of this summer has been that we aren't going to spend weeks and weeks playing players out of position again. Some players who did 'reasonably well' as wing backs? Be still my beating heart. The issue isn't that there's not enough goals in Stockley or others, it's that the team had absolutely no idea of how to supply each other. Part of that was because we had wingers as wingbacks, full backs as centre backs, midfielders as defenders and sometimes midfielders as strikers. There will be more goals in players like CBT and Kirk if they actually play in their natural positions and if there's a plan for how to play football, which we sadly seemed to lack under Jackson. The goals come from an effective system, not just crowbarring players into random positions to get more strikers on the pitch, as Jackson learned to his cost.
    CBT and Kirk have scored 34 goals between them in 280 league games. If they were that good this season they would score 11 goals this season, as two out of our front three. Even if Stockley has a great season and scores 20 that would be nowhere near enough to be successful.

Is that what you want? There are simply not enough goals in a side with them and Stockley as the front three. We need another goalscorer on the pitch.
    Yeah, like Payne (13 goals last season) and Fraser (14 goals for MK Dons when played in a system that suited him). I am hopeful we'll sign another winger focused more on goalscoring, but this idea that 'need more goals = must have more strikers on the pitch' is daft. If our system works and is effective we should be getting goals from all over the pitch, not just from the front three. Swindon had 15 different goalscorers last season, six of them getting 5 or more, with Payne getting the second most. We also should be pulling more goals out of players like Kirk and CBT who didn't previously have great goal records by playing them in a system that encourages goals from players in those positions. McKirdy was Swindon's top scorer with 19 goals. His previous maximum was 5 and his career total was 10. He played on the wing as well as up front. Holding midfielders, wingbacks, centre backs and Jonny bloody Williams chipped in with goals for them and they ended up the league's top scorers. The alternative plan, of playing lots of players out of position just so we get to have two strikers on the pitch is exactly what we tried last season. I know we had injuries but we got 13 and 11 goals out of our strikers and the next highest goalscorer had 4. It was Ben Purrington. The midfield contributed absolutely nothing in terms of goals and that's what did so much damage to us. We finished 13th. The system - if it works - will generate the goals from multiple areas rather than relying on just one extra goals man.
    The only slight concern with the past goal scoring records you quote for Payne & Fraser is that about 50% of their goals were penalties.

We’re gonna need some favourable refereeing to get them both as many spot kicks again this season.
    Get players who can run at defenders in the right areas. Bowyer’s promotion side won a lot of penalties as we had players who could win them. Someone like CBT could do that but it wasn’t going to happen often while playing at wing back.
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Without commenting on the rest of your post how many of the combined 27 goals scored between Fraser and Payne were pens?

The answer is more than half Fraser 9 and Payne 6.  They aren't going to both take them even if we did get 15 of them in a season, which is highly unlikely. 
  • Hal1x said:
    Rylo said:
    Hopefully he can fire us to promotion.

Hell of a shot on him

Heard he's got a short fuse!
    Think there's mor tar him than meets the eye.
  • Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

The only slight concern with the past goal scoring records you quote for Payne & Fraser is that about 50% of their goals were penalties.

We’re gonna need some favourable refereeing to get them both as many spot kicks again this season.
    Get players who can run at defenders in the right areas. Bowyer’s promotion side won a lot of penalties as we had players who could win them. Someone like CBT could do that but it wasn’t going to happen often while playing at wing back.
    A very good point Scoham.

Just out of interest is there a League table of League 1 teams who were awarded penalties last season, if so , I wondered where we finished?

Would be good to know the ‘average’ in a season and where we are / were.
  • Puzzled why Blackpool were interested in him anyway if they were targeting L1 strikers, rather than say Stockton or May, both of whom scored more goals last season and have been more "talked" about in general
  • Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Unpopular opinion but I think CBT is more effective at wingback than on the wing. 

At wingback he has more than half of the pitch to use his pace, whereas on the wing he’s likely double-marked and only has a limited amount of space to work with. 
  • Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Unpopular opinion but I think CBT is more effective at wingback than on the wing. 

At wingback he has more than half of the pitch to use his pace, whereas on the wing he’s likely double-marked and only has a limited amount of space to work with. 
    Yeah but he can't defend, and if he's double-marked as winger, that gives the rest of the midfield and attack so much more space. We won't be playing like we were under Jackson either - we'll be playing high and getting lots of ball to our wide men. The position of pacy winger has not gone out of fashion quite yet
  • Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Yeah but he can't defend, and if he's double-marked as winger, that gives the rest of the midfield and attack so much more space. We won't be playing like we were under Jackson either - we'll be playing high and getting lots of ball to our wide men. The position of pacy winger has not gone out of fashion quite yet
    Oh yeah I’m not saying I want to see him at wingback, it just seems to me he won’t be as impactful going forward playing RW instead of LWB. 

I take your point about opening up space for others, I guess that’s part of the idea behind our playing style.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

This sort of preposterousness is exactly why Jackson is now a manager of a club in League 2 instead of here or higher.
  • Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

But if CBT is regularly getting the ball on the left or right of the penalty area it negates his pace somewhat.

The most effective, pacy, wide players we have had in the past couple of years have been Millar and Doughty.  The value, Millar especially, gave us was to move us up the pitch quickly.  Regular.  That's less effective if your a high pressing retention based team than if you are a counter attacking one. 
  • edited July 2022
    Re: "Where will where the goals will come from..." Interesting fact: In our 2003-04 season (best in living memory) our top scorer was Euell with 10 league goals. 
  • If we get Cannon and Bishop, we can pay there wages with some of the money we got for Pope
    More chance of getting cannon and ball!!!🤣
  • Chunes said:
    Re: "Where will where the goals will come from..." Interesting fact: In our 2003-04 season (best in living memory) our top scorer was Euell with 10 league goals. 
    And if we repeat that season we will finish 7th with a zero goal difference.

Personally I would take that, if offered, now.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

But if CBT is regularly getting the ball on the left or right of the penalty area it negates his pace somewhat.

The most effective, pacy, wide players we have had in the past couple of years have been Millar and Doughty.  The value, Millar especially, gave us was to move us up the pitch quickly.  Regular.  That's less effective if your a high pressing retention based team than if you are a counter attacking one. 
    Pace over shorter distances is still a valuable asset when taking on a defender. Let's see how he does. 
  • Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Pace over shorter distances is still a valuable asset when taking on a defender. Let's see how he does. 
    Of course it is but I am expecting a more refined version of the team at the end of the 20/21 season than a cheap version of Man City.