Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• The problem is, right now, if Stockley gets injured we have to start Aneke, and will then be forced to use Leaburn or Kanu for 30 to 45 minutes per match.

I think you almost have to ignore Aneke. He will
    be used and will be a great weapon off the bench, but he’s kind of in his own unique niche. If you take him out of the equation we have one Senior striker and two kids, and the senior one has some injury question marks attached. 
    This.

If our 2 strikers were players who started every game, weekin, week out, then that's fair enough, but we saw last season what happens when 1 or 2 gets injured. 

To start the season with basically 1 and a half strikers is pure madness. 

But this year is different & I"m certain we will being in a striker over the next week or so. 
    I may be wrong but I get the feeling if Stockley or Chucks get injured we will use Leaburn which is a perfect way to blood him in 1st team football.

Based on what we have spent so far this window which I believe is zero I cannot see TS putting his hand in his pocket for a big signing.

No way the Pope money is going on a transfer war chest, that will cut the running costs.
    Agree entirely the only way I see us bringing in another striker or attacker is on loan possibly towards the end of the window. Its clear no transfer fees will be used this window 
    Whys it clear?  We spent fees every other window since his arrival.  Four windows I think.  

See the source image
  • The slight concern for me is where the free transfers have come from, rather than the lack of fee. If we had raided Oxford, Plymouth, MKD etc for their best out of contract players, i.e. taking established L1 players at a club finishing above us last season, I'd be a lot more optimistic.

The Powell side raided the best L1 players, rather than L2.
    An unattached Frenchman who was playing lower French football …midfielder from Oldham another midfielder from Hayes …… not really best of league one 
  • Never trust anyone who cannot differentiate between off and of.
  • At the end of the day it don’t matter where they come from or if they are free or 10 mill we all seen expensive players flop time and time again don’t mean because you spend money on someone he going to be a world beater .. fact is the manger wants these players and believes he can get them playing as a team that given  the luck with injuries and of course key decisions going our way at the right time will get us into the top 6 …   

• Rothko said:
    No we haven't paid a fee, because we haven't had too, and signed decent players regardless. This weird little narrative this summer, of player has come on a free, so must be shit, is tiring. 
    Preach GIF - Robert Downey Jr Praise The Lord Preach - Discover  Share GIFs
  • Scoham said:
    Begs the question why did we not just release him when his contract ran out, surely TS must have thought he some market value :neutral:
  • The slight concern for me is where the free transfers have come from, rather than the lack of fee. If we had raided Oxford, Plymouth, MKD etc for their best out of contract players, i.e. taking established L1 players at a club finishing above us last season, I'd be a lot more optimistic.

An unattached Frenchman who was playing lower French football …midfielder from Oldham another midfielder from Hayes …… not really best of league one 
    Dale Stephens was a highly rated midfielder at L1 Oldham, Wiggins and Hollands from L1 Bournemouth, Yann was still a Leicester player, Morrison was a L1 player, Hamer came from Reading, Green from L1 Dagenham for a fee, Hayes from Preston

Matt Taylor may have been the only regular signed from L2
  •  I assumed JFC was bound for Swindon as partial compensation for stripping their first team bare 
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    I'm still a little baffled how its been determined that JFC has gone from being player of the season in team that finished just outside the play offs in league one to only being good enough for league two without any form in between to back that up. 
    Only if you believe that tweet, which I don’t from that individual 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    I'm still a little baffled how its been determined that JFC has gone from being player of the season in team that finished just outside the play offs in league one to only being good enough for league two without any form in between to back that up. 
    Plus of course two very serious injuries 

Dale Stephens was a highly rated midfielder at L1 Oldham, Wiggins and Hollands from L1 Bournemouth, Yann was still a Leicester player, Morrison was a L1 player, Hamer came from Reading, Green from L1 Dagenham for a fee, Hayes from Preston

Matt Taylor may have been the only regular signed from L2
    Taylor came from L1 Exeter. I’m pretty certain Powell didn’t sign anyone from L2 that summer.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Scoham said:
    Begs the question why did we not just release him when his contract ran out, surely TS must have thought he some market value :neutral:
    If that’s true it also begs the question as to how highly regarded he is outside of us.  I wasn’t expecting him to have the likes of Gillingham in for him.  
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Doing his knee for the second time during that period might be a contributing factor… having said that, I don’t expect him to drop into League 2.

But don’t expect he’d get a Championship move either. Him joining KR at Oxford makes a lot of sense to me.
  • Quite an assumption to assume a team better than us - Oxford will take a player who missed a whole season and put him in as a first team regular. 
  • mendonca said:
    Quite an assumption to assume a team better than us - Oxford will take a player who missed a whole season and put him in as a first team regular. 
    This. I really can't see it, Garner has decided he's not suitable for his plans, maybe Jacko has shown an interest...
  • edited July 2022
    mendonca said:
    Quite an assumption to assume a team better than us - Oxford will take a player who missed a whole season and put him in as a first team regular. 
    I think if all he cares about is getting 35+ appearances this season, you’re probably right and he wouldn’t get that at Oxford. He’ll need to do some serious thinking about what truly matters at this point in his career.

On your point about them being better than us, Oxford have had a couple of seasons finishing higher than us sure. Having said that, for most players, previous season’s league position won’t really factor into the decision to move clubs as much as resources and reputation might. 

From that perspective I’d suggest we are on at least equal footing with Oxford. Through gritted teeth, I’ll point out that Accrington finished above us last season. But I’d hope we’d be considered the bigger/better club than them despite that.

We do need to arrest the slide though, because the more seasons in a row that a club like Oxford finish above us, the harder it is to make the argument.
  • It’s not in question if JFC has the ability. He has. Can his previous injuries allow him to complete the rigours of a season is debatable. I’m confident if his body holds up then he’ll get games for us. He might not be a certain starter but he’ll be a very strong player to have on the bench in league one. Personally I hope he stays and makes a real go of it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• So we’re still talking endlessly about how many more players we need and what positions?

Have we discussed type toenails required by each player?
  • So we’re still talking endlessly about how many more players we need and what positions?

Have we discussed type toenails required by each player?
    You could start us off
  • mendonca said:
    I think if all he cares about is getting 35+ appearances this season, you’re probably right and he wouldn’t get that at Oxford. He’ll need to do some serious thinking about what truly matters at this point in his career.

On your point about them being better than us, Oxford have had a couple of seasons finishing higher than us sure. Having said that, for most players, previous season’s league position won’t really factor into the decision to move clubs as much as resources and reputation might. 

From that perspective I’d suggest we are on at least equal footing with Oxford. Through gritted teeth, I’ll point out that Accrington finished above us last season. But I’d hope we’d be considered the bigger/better club than them despite that.

We do need to arrest the slide though, because the more seasons in a row that a club like Oxford finish above us, the harder it is to make the argument.
    I've still got some shocking memories of the Oxford game at home, so felt the need to put the screwdriver into us a bit!
  • Not sure how reliable the account is, But it would make sense. A young pacey forward that can play wide as well. Broke into their first team last season.
  • edited July 2022
    Didn't we have one of those, called Mason something?.....
  • sam3110 said:
    Anything less than playoffs is a huge disappointment, regardless of the manager and squad, that's the minimum expectation IMO
    I think that’s rooted by history , not by the squad we have .  I’d have agreed a year ago 
  • No JFC in the training pics just put up on OS
  • Pompey sign striker Colby Bishop from Accrington for an undisclosed fee.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2022/july/bishop-joins-the-blues/