Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• So in the are you looking forward to next season thread Golfie said he’s not ‘because we are not building a team’

Yet he praises Portsmouth for getting a 31 year old Marlon Pack and a 34 year old Michael Morrison on frees, alongside 21 year old keeper from Spurs who does not even have a Wikipedia page. Never mind Joe Piggot on loan who is the same age as and has scored less goals then Stockley - a striker he constantly argues is not good enough to get enough goals for us.

In my opinion their only decent signings are Colby Bishop and the other goalkeeper they have on loan. Not really sure Raffety or that other Arsenal right back who managed 3 games on loan at MMV Maastricht in 2020 are really going to be game changers for them. 

I fancy Piggott & Bishop will get more goals than Stockley & Aneke.
    Because Aneke can't score from a medical couch.
    Quite. 

• edited July 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    So in the are you looking forward to next season thread Golfie said he’s not ‘because we are not building a team’

Yet he praises Portsmouth for getting a 31 year old Marlon Pack and a 34 year old Michael Morrison on frees, alongside 21 year old keeper from Spurs who does not even have a Wikipedia page. Never mind Joe Piggot on loan who is the same age as and has scored less goals then Stockley - a striker he constantly argues is not good enough to get enough goals for us.

In my opinion their only decent signings are Colby Bishop and the other goalkeeper they have on loan. Not really sure Raffety or that other Arsenal right back who managed 3 games on loan at MMV Maastricht in 2020 are really going to be game changers for them. 

How did that work out last season?

edit, not a fair comparison though as Portsmouth  are likely to start with them both up top and we will start with one or the other.

I bet stockley and anekes goals per min ratio is less than the Portsmouth two
    But mins per goal means fuck all if Aneke can only play 25% of the time. He might have a better "striking rate" but if he is only on the pitch once in a blue moon then his 90 mins per goal may get him 10 goals. Piggott & Bishop might strike at 120 mins per goal but if they play more mins they score more goals. 

I would much rather have a fully fit Aneke over Piggott but we all know Aneke can't play match after match & hence why Piggott will score more goals. 

We're going to be playing with one striker and Stockley for 60mins + Aneke for 30mins scores more goals per 90 than all but a few players in this league.

We should be creating more chances this year and many of those will fall to our midfielders now instead of Washington so their contribution will naturally go up across the board.
    Is this midfield the same one that score just 10 goals between them last season. I appreciated we've added Payne but CBT, DJ, Gilbey, Morgan, Fraser, Kirk & Dobson all played for us last season & they just got into double figures 

Again I appreciate we have a new coach but the above players will have to severely up their  game if you think they will suddenly make up the difference that will be needed.
    I think between our midfielders they will score the 9 open play goals and 2 assists needed to replace Washington's output last season on top of the meagre combined output of our midfield last season.

• Swisdom said:
    A quote about Rak-Sakhi from a mate of mine who is the u18s manager at Palace.

”Jes needs a challenge and I think he will be very good” 

I think he found u23 football to easy so needs competitive action now.  One of those rare players that hasn’t yet met a ceiling he can’t smash through.  Hope he comes and isn’t the next Sulley Kaikai
    So is he definitely coming then?
  • Swisdom said:

I think he found u23 football to easy so needs competitive action now.  One of those rare players that hasn’t yet met a ceiling he can’t smash through.  Hope he comes and isn’t the next Sulley Kaikai
    So did he confirm that Rak-Sakhi was coming to us then Swis?
  • edited July 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    I'm scratching my head a little bit as to how we are seemingly at the salary cap limit? 
    Yeah... Nine First-Team players released or sold last summer (including some players who must have been on high wages, e.g. Watson | Gunter | Matthews | Washington) - Yet we've only signed five players.

The only ridiculous reason I can think of (but we've seen some really stupid rules in League One of late), is released player wages dont count towards the percentage of turnover, so had we sold Washington, the money for him would have counted. Instead because we've released him, we've basically reduced what we can spend.
    I get you're trying to think outside the box but I don't think that would be the case at all. The amount of playing turnover in Leagues 1 and 2, mostly on loan/free is way too big for that criteria to work. 

It's obviously a real concern but I'm with J Block, I cannot understand how this is affecting us. Unless it's a ploy from Sandgaard to get another couple of thousand season tickets sold!
    If we're not signing strikers it's more likely people will be requesting a refund  :D
  • Essex_Al said:
    Swisdom said:

Sounds more like a confirmation he will definitely be loaned out but not necessarily to us?
  • edited July 2022
    Pompey's squad has looked weaker year on year since the Cowleys took over. They have lost quality players like Whatmough, Naylor, Harness, etc. and have not replaced them with quality players. 

Be interested to see how much service Bishop and Pigott get with who they've got playing behind them.
  • edited July 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    So in the are you looking forward to next season thread Golfie said he’s not ‘because we are not building a team’

edit, not a fair comparison though as Portsmouth  are likely to start with them both up top and we will start with one or the other.

But mins per goal means fuck all if Aneke can only play 25% of the time. He might have a better "striking rate" but if he is only on the pitch once in a blue moon then his 90 mins per goal may get him 10 goals. Piggott & Bishop might strike at 120 mins per goal but if they play more mins they score more goals. 

I would much rather have a fully fit Aneke over Piggott but we all know Aneke can't play match after match & hence why Piggott will score more goals. 

We're going to be playing with one striker and Stockley for 60mins + Aneke for 30mins scores more goals per 90 than all but a few players in this league.

We should be creating more chances this year and many of those will fall to our midfielders now instead of Washington so their contribution will naturally go up across the board.
    Is this midfield the same one that score just 10 goals between them last season. I appreciated we've added Payne but CBT, DJ, Gilbey, Morgan, Fraser, Kirk & Dobson all played for us last season & they just got into double figures 

Again I appreciate we have a new coach but the above players will have to severely up their  game if you think they will suddenly make up the difference that will be needed.
    Think maybe slightly disingenuous there golfie, Fraser hardly played will expect more from him,Kirk was hardly with us not sure what will happen to him,Morgan well is Morgan , Dobbo wasn’t his job to score goals, we should expect more from gilbey, the fact he’s scored a few pre season may give him confidence if he plays. Our biggest issue is our strikers not hitting a barn door, if they start scoring it’s amazing how that flows through a team and produces goals all around. Mcgrandles also added.

on top of that we were dogshit overall!!!😂
  • Sponsored links:

• SE7toSG3 said:
    Both Pompey fans I know are not happy at all with their recruitment or management (one dimensional and clueless) they are also moaning about us, Ipswich and Derby building promotion sides whilst they are taking punts on loans, freebies and has beens. 

They were moaning that they could see no way out of the third division for the foreseeable future and with Southampton miles ahead are very down indeed. 
    Portsmouthlife
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Both Pompey fans I know are not happy at all with their recruitment or management (one dimensional and clueless) they are also moaning about us, Ipswich and Derby building promotion sides whilst they are taking punts on loans, freebies and has beens. 

They were moaning that they could see no way out of the third division for the foreseeable future and with Southampton miles ahead are very down indeed. 
    Stuck in the 3rd division, while their hated local rivals are mid table in the PL...
  • SE7toSG3 said:

You sure you’re not getting mixed up with Charlton Life?
  • paulfox said:
    Jac_52 said:

Think maybe slightly disingenuous there golfie, Fraser hardly played will expect more from him,Kirk was hardly with us not sure what will happen to him,Morgan well is Morgan , Dobbo wasn’t his job to score goals, we should expect more from gilbey, the fact he’s scored a few pre season may give him confidence if he plays. Our biggest issue is our strikers not hitting a barn door, if they start scoring it’s amazing how that flows through a team and produces goals all around. Mcgrandles also added.

on top of that we were dogshit overall!!!😂
    Not disingenuous at all. Those players are still here & have been very prominent in Garners pre-season teams. Yes, Kirk & Fraser didnt play much but they did play 23 times between them......scoring none. For context Purrington played 31 times, scoring 4. And he is a defender. 

My point is that we keep being told that the midfield will score the goals (seeing as we only have 2 mainstream strikers) but the players who didnt score last season are still here & are all part of Garners plans. Not only have we not strengthened up front we are still pretty weak (goal scoring wise) in midfield. On balance it would probably have been better keeping Purrington and playing him in midfield 😃
  • But we're not playing the same way as they did last season so it's not impossible that we will see more goals coming from midfield. Garner's system generally seems to favour more players scoring fewer goals each rather than one "main" goal scorer backed up by a few others chipping in.

Personally I actually agree with the concern that as it stands we won't score enough for promotion (and certainly not automatic) but I do think we'll see more goals from midfield and wingers than we did last season. And I hope/believe that Garner's fully aware of the issue but finding the solution on a budget won't be quick or simple.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Essex_Al said:
    Swisdom said:

Sounds more like a confirmation he will definitely be loaned out but not necessarily to us?
    I agree.  We can hope
  • edited July 2022
  • thenewbie said:
    But we're not playing the same way as they did last season so it's not impossible that we will see more goals coming from midfield. Garner's system generally seems to favour more players scoring fewer goals each rather than one "main" goal scorer backed up by a few others chipping in.

Personally I actually agree with the concern that as it stands we won't score enough for promotion (and certainly not automatic) but I do think we'll see more goals from midfield and wingers than we did last season. And I hope/believe that Garner's fully aware of the issue but finding the solution on a budget won't be quick or simple.
    So you are expecting shot shy midfielders (Gilbey, DJ & Kirk) as well as shit shot ones (Morgan) to suddenly turn into Kinsella,  Stuart & Holmes.

Dream on.  
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Watching this Man U v VIlla pre season game on  dodgey stream, a young lad getting a run out called Kesler Hayden left wing back was on loan with Swindon last season before moving to MK Dons for the 2nd half of the season. The commentators seem to think he will go out on loan again this, looks mustard and I think be perfect for Garner ball :)

Was absolutely brilliant against Man City for Swindon in the FA Cup. Reminds me of Dasilva. 
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    But we're not playing the same way as they did last season so it's not impossible that we will see more goals coming from midfield. Garner's system generally seems to favour more players scoring fewer goals each rather than one "main" goal scorer backed up by a few others chipping in.

So you are expecting shot shy midfielders (Gilbey, DJ & Kirk) as well as shit shot ones (Morgan) to suddenly turn into Kinsella,  Stuart & Holmes.

Dream on.  
    Kirk could be different under Garner. He's got a history of chipping in and for me deserves a clean slate this season. You're probably right about the other three. 
    What has Kirk done more than the others to earn a clean slate? Everyone gets a clean slate under Garner. Yes, even Gilbey. But everyone seems to think Kirk will walk in ahead of DJ, even though the latter is the only one who's had good games for us 
  • To be honest I think it's pretty bad logic with the shower of shit these guys have played under to write any of them off under a new manager.

They have all shown promise at times and at others been underwhelming.
  • edited July 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be honest I think it's pretty bad logic with the shower of shit these guys have played under to write any of them off under a new manager.

They have all shown promise at times and at others been underwhelming.
    Who is writing them off? I just feel Fraser, Lavelle and Kirk are the three who deserve a completely clean slate because of the circumstances, injuries, games played etc. I’ve seen enough of the other players to form an opinion, and theres 3 in our squad who I don’t rate. I’ll still back them under Garner and would be delighted to be proven wrong. I don’t think I’m being unfair having an opinion on players I have paid to watch. But I’m not writing them off, just saying I don’t think they’re good enough based on what I’ve seen. 
  • David Whyte was not a bad loan from Palace