Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    A quote about Rak-Sakhi from a mate of mine who is the u18s manager at Palace.

”Jes needs a challenge and I think he will be very good” 

I think he found u23 football to easy so needs competitive action now.  One of those rare players that hasn’t yet met a ceiling he can’t smash through.  Hope he comes and isn’t the next Sulley Kaikai
    I am struggling  to think of any Palarse players that have brightened my life when arriving at Charlton . Not one  John Humphrey or Flanagan or John Sewell going to them. Players from there seem inadequate or injured. 
    There is always a first time .
    Chris Powell?
    Club record fee from Derby 
  • Jac_52 said:
    Hreidarsson didn't come from Palace but he did end up there eventually
    Played for them before he played for us
  • Scoham said:
    Hreidarsson, Salako, Bright, Svenson.
    Only Svensson was bought from Palace
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Hreidarsson, Salako, Bright, Svenson.
    None of these apart from Svenson  came from Palace. Salarko wasn't here very long.

Season wasn't  popular was he ?
    All former Palace players before they signed for us in the successful Curbs years.
  • shi5 said:
    Swisdom said:

I think he found u23 football to easy so needs competitive action now.  One of those rare players that hasn’t yet met a ceiling he can’t smash through.  Hope he comes and isn’t the next Sulley Kaikai
    I am struggling  to think of any Palarse players that have brightened my life when arriving at Charlton . Not one  John Humphrey or Flanagan or John Sewell going to them. Players from there seem inadequate or injured. 
    David Whyte, Paul Mortimer.

We sold Flanagan to Palace and bought him back for 50 grand from QPR
    Flanagan was not a Palace  player when we got him back!
    well, nobody would have been a Palace player once we'd signed them back (excluding loans obviously)...
  • shi5 said:
    Swisdom said:

David Whyte, Paul Mortimer.

We sold Flanagan to Palace and bought him back for 50 grand from QPR
    Flanagan was not a Palace  player when we got him back!
    I know. I’ve already mentioned that 
  • Can’t believe we’re signing Simon Jordan’s little brother.
    Source?
  • Just checked as I wasn't sure Chris Powell even played for the 1st team at Palace and its down as 3.

Also I didn't realise he played more games for Southend  than he did for Charlton in his 3 spells. 248 for the Essex team and 244 for Cafc when we were decent.

You learn something new every day.
  • Just checked as I wasn't sure Chris Powell even played for the 1st team at Palace and its down as 3.

Also I didn't realise he played more games for Southend  than he did for Charlton in his 3 spells. 248 for the Essex team and 244 for Cafc when we were decent.

You learn something new every day.
    Powell made 270 appearances for Charlton 
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't believe I'm writing this and will have to have a long shower after... but Alan Pardew? Just as a player, mind...
  • I don't care where a new player comes from, as long as he is good for us
    Exactly this. The longer we stay in this league the more we’ll see support dwindle and kids following the likes of Millwall and Palace. All that matters is a team that plays well enough to get promoted. 
  • Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    But we're not playing the same way as they did last season so it's not impossible that we will see more goals coming from midfield. Garner's system generally seems to favour more players scoring fewer goals each rather than one "main" goal scorer backed up by a few others chipping in.

Personally I actually agree with the concern that as it stands we won't score enough for promotion (and certainly not automatic) but I do think we'll see more goals from midfield and wingers than we did last season. And I hope/believe that Garner's fully aware of the issue but finding the solution on a budget won't be quick or simple.
    So you are expecting shot shy midfielders (Gilbey, DJ & Kirk) as well as shit shot ones (Morgan) to suddenly turn into Kinsella,  Stuart & Holmes.

Dream on.  
    Williams was more shot shy than all of them and he scored 5 league goals under Garner last season. I’m not expecting big improvements but I think we’ll see some given we’ve changed manager, coaches, players, formation and tactics.

Not taking shots is one element, another is being in a team that creates good quality chances. Jackson’s team weren’t great at the latter, they were an average L1 side heavily focussed on getting goals from the front two over anyone else.
    In a division below his level, no way is he a L2 standard player but for personal or whatever reasons he's ended up there. I don't see any players in our team playing a level below their standard.

Garner's Swindon were free scorers last season, but they needed to be as defensively there weren't as good as the teams around them. Indeed it's amazing how similar the records were between 3rd and 7th, just one game being won, drawn or lost split the teams on points, while the GD between 2nd and 6th is virtually identical too.

• Don’t care where he comes from but I’d be pissed if I’d done all the hard miles in pre season training then some 18 year old comes waltzing in on loan at the last minute and takes my place.
  • Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    But we're not playing the same way as they did last season so it's not impossible that we will see more goals coming from midfield. Garner's system generally seems to favour more players scoring fewer goals each rather than one "main" goal scorer backed up by a few others chipping in.

Personally I actually agree with the concern that as it stands we won't score enough for promotion (and certainly not automatic) but I do think we'll see more goals from midfield and wingers than we did last season. And I hope/believe that Garner's fully aware of the issue but finding the solution on a budget won't be quick or simple.
    So you are expecting shot shy midfielders (Gilbey, DJ & Kirk) as well as shit shot ones (Morgan) to suddenly turn into Kinsella,  Stuart & Holmes.

Dream on.  
    Williams was more shot shy than all of them and he scored 5 league goals under Garner last season. I’m not expecting big improvements but I think we’ll see some given we’ve changed manager, coaches, players, formation and tactics.

Not taking shots is one element, another is being in a team that creates good quality chances. Jackson’s team weren’t great at the latter, they were an average L1 side heavily focussed on getting goals from the front two over anyone else.
    In a division below his level, no way is he a L2 standard player but for personal or whatever reasons he's ended up there. I don't see any players in our team playing a level below their standard.

Garner's Swindon were free scorers last season, but they needed to be as defensively there weren't as good as the teams around them. Indeed it's amazing how similar the records were between 3rd and 7th, just one game being won, drawn or lost split the teams on points, while the GD between 2nd and 6th is virtually identical too.

True but that’s only one reason for his improvement. Look at McKirdy, a below average L2 performer until he worked for a manager who played a style and system that got a lot more out of him.

Some players will outperform expectations this season and others will disappoint, including the number of goals they’ll score.
  • Bournesnr said:
    Don’t care where he comes from but I’d be pissed if I’d done all the hard miles in pre season training then some 18 year old comes waltzing in on loan at the last minute and takes my place.
    But that's how football works, especially with the window open for another month. And if a player is going to be completely out of favour, chances are they'd be moved on before the end of the window
  • Sponsored links:

• Presume most Footballers are used to that sort of scenario anyway - They've all probably been in the position themselves where they've gone into a squad late and have pushed someone down the pecking order.

All part of the Sport.

The great example of some one coming late to the party and taking centre stage was Yann Kermorgant and the person who suffered the most was Hayes who had started the season in decent form but Yann had the X factor. 
  • Gonna stick my neck out and say no ITK uses emojis.  Happy for egg to plant firmly on my face of course.  
    I sincerely hope that’s not the egg plant emoji 😬

• Gonna stick my neck out and say no ITK uses emojis.  Happy for egg to plant firmly on my face of course.  
    Okay okay to the various replies I didn’t really mean this as literally as it sounded was more me being a misog.  
  • RedRobin said:
    Mitchell’s brother is in our academy. 
    Zak Mitchell (who is in our academy) is Billy Mitchell’s brother, not Alex Mitchell’s.
  • RedRobin said:
    Zak Mitchell (who is in our academy) is Billy Mitchell’s brother, not Alex Mitchell’s.
    FFS too many bloody Mitchell's in the world
  • https://www.htafc.com/news/2022/july/an-update-from-the-board--dean-hoyle/#.YuD4FdQaLAw.twitter

Interesting read as to how an owner of another club communicates the financial situation and deals with accusations of transfer income being used to lower his own loan input and that the incomes for sales, including Grant, are paid in instalements over a number of seasons.  He's making the point, IMHO, that HTFC didn't get all the headline figure up front in one lump sum so they haven't got it all to spend. Similar to the Pope money.
    It is possible to get all the money up front, there are intermediaries who provide this financing to clubs at a cost. It is quite common, my cousin is one of the principal operators in this business. 
  • Bournesnr said:
    Don’t care where he comes from but I’d be pissed if I’d done all the hard miles in pre season training then some 18 year old comes waltzing in on loan at the last minute and takes my place.
    If he’s better then it’s pretty obvious he’s going to get selected. Work harder and make it impossible for the manager not to pick you would be my advice.
    Obviously I would try harder to impress the manager but I’d still be pissed off.
  • RedRobin said:
    FFS too many bloody Mitchell's in the world

• edited July 2022
    Assuming this winger does sign, I still think we definitely need to upgrade, in this order of priority:

1) Purrington
    2) Washington
    3) Famewo 

In other words, I still think we're short (as most will agree) but we need to be signing 3 quality, proven players, that might cost a bit of money, to be competitive.  Not sure taking a punt on young'ens on loan will do the trick. 

P.S. Yes I know Cullen and Gallagher were on loan, but I reckon for every 1 Cullen there's 5 Smith/Smyths.
  • edited July 2022
    Depends as well what you've been told when the Manager has arrived @Bournesnr

Davison is a good example with his recent interview having moved on.

“The situation was out of my hands,” said Davison. “I had to have a conversation with the club [Charlton] about what their intentions were – whether I was likely to play and whether it was right for me.

“I sat down with the gaffer [Garner] and we had an honest conversation about me – who was going to play out of me, Jayden [Stockley] and Chuks [Aneke]. Jayden was really good last season, he scored something like 20 goals. I knew it was going to be tough.”

If you get the promise throughout pre-season that you have nothing to worry about, your first choice Midfielder bladdy blah blah, and dont get any negative feedback during the pre-season games... Then yeah I'd agree that you'd be a little pissed off, partly because if you knew that you were going to be pushed down the pecking order (with very little game time), then you'd want time to assess your own options.

The Kermorgant / Hayes example above is probably one of the best ones that could be used.