Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• MrBurns said:
    I'd happily try and move stockley on and get two attackers with the money.
    It’s not happening for Stockley but in his defence he’s not getting any service whatsoever. We now have plenty of width - JRS and Kirk had plenty of the ball today - but there’s no quality crosses coming into the box. He’s always got his back to goal when the ball comes into him. His strength is attacking crosses.
  • I get the impression that no one is overly "unsellable" this summer.

If an offer comes in for anyone in this squad, that Sandgaard agrees with, then I think they'll be off.
  • Even if the moves don’t work out .. and we go with what we got till think this group will keep us in and around top 6 then we strengthen again in Jan for a final push …. it’s all down to what injuries and who gets injured and more important length of time but more luck and we deserve luck in this area and think we would be ok … 
    Look at our bench today. The standard and predictable substitutions will be Payne for frazer and leaburn for sakyi. What else do we have? It's not September yet and we are playing claydon and have ness and Henry on the bench. We have 3 loans left available and she should be looking to use them even if the loans are until Jan and we look for better then.
    Clayden in there now on merit .. what’s the point of spending millions getting these boys through the academy and don’t play them 

If an offer comes in for anyone in this squad, that Sandgaard agrees with, then I think they'll be off.
    He will let Garner decide .. 

He will let Garner decide .. 
    His message to Garner will probably be... "Let me sell X player for Y amount, you can have two players from that"
  • Sage said:
    This team is crying out for another striker and one who is better than Stockley.

When it’s not working he looks like a pub player. Yes the service into him hasn’t been good and that’s not fair, but it’s not like he even offers us anything to combat that. He’s not great with his feet, he’s not a monster in the air, he doesn’t run in behind and stretch a defence, his link play is okay but not something that can take us up a league.

If he’s not getting quality crosses to attack, he’s useless in this formation. And as our captain, he sure does moan a lot.

There I’ve said it. Allowed my opinion and this is it. I just don’t think we will ever be strong enough for a promotion side with Stockley leading the line on his own. We need better.
    I agree 100%. He is a good pro, will score with the right service but don’t see him having the best skillset to fit the way Garner is setting the team up.
  • edited August 2022
    _MrDick said:
    MrBurns said:
    It’s not happening for Stockley but in his defence he’s not getting any service whatsoever. We now have plenty of width - JRS and Kirk had plenty of the ball today - but there’s no quality crosses coming into the box. He’s always got his back to goal when the ball comes into him. His strength is attacking crosses.
    Agree 100% with Sage. He doesn't have anything to offer in this system other than attacking crosses and we need our striker to do a lot more.

You'd think with a big target man up front, we could occasionally hit it up to him when we're under pressure, let him hold off a few players and find a pass. He can't even do that. 

But he is the 'honest pro' type who will always have his fans. 
  • Now the Wycombe games out of the way expecting this thread to be ‘alight ‘ this week with rumours of potential signings!
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    This team is crying out for another striker and one who is better than Stockley.

When it’s not working he looks like a pub player. Yes the service into him hasn’t been good and that’s not fair, but it’s not like he even offers us anything to combat that. He’s not great with his feet, he’s not a monster in the air, he doesn’t run in behind and stretch a defence, his link play is okay but not something that can take us up a league.

If he’s not getting quality crosses to attack, he’s useless in this formation. And as our captain, he sure does moan a lot.

There I’ve said it. Allowed my opinion and this is it. I just don’t think we will ever be strong enough for a promotion side with Stockley leading the line on his own. We need better.
    Spot on, well said, agree 100%.
  • Now the Wycombe games out of the way expecting this thread to be ‘alight ‘ this week with rumours of potential signings!
    I do hope you are right MIA!
  • SDAddick said:
    So what does everyone think of Naby Sarr??
    Absolute mustard. Was he perfect? No. Was and is he a Championship level Center Back? Yup. 

He's actually something of a Rosetta stone for me on how to view peoples' football opinions. If you simply think he's "shit," and can't see any quality in him, I'm not interested in your football opinion.

Also, the subject of one of my favorite exchanges on here. I was once told Harry Lennon was better than Naby Sarr despite Lennon having made some bad mistakes defensively. They are currently three divisions apart. 
    I have the same methodology :)
  • Currently only have 2 on loan also, could we not explore that window a little more? 
  • Currently only have 2 on loan also, could we not explore that window a little more? 
    Could, should, and will.
  • edited August 2022
    Currently only have 2 on loan also, could we not explore that window a little more? 
    In some way I'd be surprised if we didnt expand on our loanees... Its a easy way to climb the table, if done correctly.

In another sense I'm quite glad we've only got two loanees at the moment

Each summer we instantly have to think about having to find and replace five players, regardless of how useful they've been. As things stand, regardless of what League we're in next term, we currently only have to find two replacements, so we're making lives easier for ourselves in that respect.
  • _MrDick said:
    MrBurns said:
    His strength,as with most strikers is attacking the ball,but he does not do it.He is nearly always in the area when the ball comes over and is usually underneath it when it arrives.He needs to start his runs right at the back or corner of the penalty area and be at the top of his jump when the ball comes in.(show him some Alan Shearer videos)
  • Sage said:

Spot on @Sage.  Ironically, yesterday, Stockley would have been much better suited to Wycombe's more direct style of play. He has his good qualities but the only way to really showcase them is abandoning Garner's very clear style of play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stockley and McLeary would make a dangerous pairing for Wycombe. 
  • edited August 2022
    Even if the moves don’t work out .. and we go with what we got till think this group will keep us in and around top 6 then we strengthen again in Jan for a final push …. it’s all down to what injuries and who gets injured and more important length of time but more luck and we deserve luck in this area and think we would be ok … 
    See, I dont get this. Why would you "strengthen in January" when you are half way through the season when you could strengthen now (or even in July) and give yourself a whole season to get promoted instead of playing catch up in the new year.

I suppose the point there is it may become more apparent where you need to strengthen in January so you can target signings for best effect. Things can change in that a youngster goes up a few notches etc... But whilst I say that, I actually agree with you. It is pretty clear where we are short and where we are going to have issues in October, November and December already.

In fact we already are having the issues in some games now.
  • edited August 2022
    _MrDick said:
    MrBurns said:
    His strength,as with most strikers is attacking the ball,but he does not do it.He is nearly always in the area when the ball comes over and is usually underneath it when it arrives.He needs to start his runs right at the back or corner of the penalty area and be at the top of his jump when the ball comes in.(show him some Alan Shearer videos)
    His problem is a lack of what in greyhound racing they call ‘early pace’. You need it to get a yard ahead of the defender, or even a foot ahead of the defender, so you can divert the ball into the net, of play it to a team mate. 
    So many times yesterday he turned 50/50 passes into 60/40 passes in their favour, by lacking the zip to get to them. It also means players won’t play through balls into his path, as defenders would just mop them up. 
    It makes it much harder for midfielders, as he’s not really an effective out ball, so they’re out under more pressure. 
  • edited August 2022
    His problem is that when he is on top of a defender he is very effective. But a few defenders get on top of him, whether that is beacuse they double up or because of their individual attributes. I think yesterday was Stockley's worst game for a very long time though and as a defender of him, I couldn't really say anything positive about that performance. He lost absolutely everything he competed for.
  • Been muted earlier about selling Stockley and getting a couple of replacements in with a bit of pace about them, must say I can see the logic there and after yesterday, which was not a good day for him, he was a liability with again no finished product.
    Thought it was strange when Ben made him captain, and not sure where he sits in the grand scheme of Garnerball, at times he can hold up the ball and play in someone, but the ball has to be on a tanner for him or he invariably ends up losing the ball, really like Stockley as an honest player, but his limitations could end up being his downfall..
  • edited August 2022
    I don't think many refs would give a penalty for that though. Not the ones we get at this level. I think it was one, but Stockley was blocking the keeper off. The question was whether he was obstructing him unfairly, but I don't think he was so the keeper effectively went through him as you say and a defender couldn't do that so why can a keeper? But the fact you can ask the question means most refs will take the easy way out which I do understand.