Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• The next 3 days are going to be interesting. Based on what we have in the squad just now I honestly don't see us being in the top six at the end of the season. That and the ticket pricing will ensure TS is unlikely to make significant inroads in to the annual loss run rate of £8M. Would be nice to see the club pull some rabbits out of the hat and strengthen the squad in the areas that are glaringly obvious before the window closes. If not I suspect it is going to be a long and pretty mundane season.

Others will no doubt have differing opinions but in my view that would be a case of hope over experience.
    If we lost (i think) 8m last year then by reducing costs and getting the Pope sell on fee, surely that 8m loss comes down a bit this season? Still can't see it getting much below 6m though.
  • I have a giant "MEH!" shaped balloon all ready for the window shutting, anyone else made any special arrangements?
    Going to trawl through this thread & find my posts in late June/early July where I said that we were slow in getting players in & that I would be proved right yet again when we fail to assemble a squad good enough for promotion. 

Why trawl through. Surely that's just 90% of what you've posted in the last 3 years. Don't disagree BTW
  • Chunes said:
    You lot are very confident in your football predictions. You must be laughing your way out of the bookies every season! 
    What are the odds on us not getting promoted?
  • Chunes said:
    You lot are very confident in your football predictions. You must be laughing your way out of the bookies every season! 
    About the same as Ipswich winning the league last season
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    Well there are going to be more than three teams who think they can get promoted, or stand a chance of promotion from League One this season - So there will always fans of a good few clubs disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    SDAddick said:
    So what does everyone think of Naby Sarr??
    Absolute mustard. Was he perfect? No. Was and is he a Championship level Center Back? Yup. 

He's actually something of a Rosetta stone for me on how to view peoples' football opinions. If you simply think he's "shit," and can't see any quality in him, I'm not interested in your football opinion.

Also, the subject of one of my favorite exchanges on here. I was once told Harry Lennon was better than Naby Sarr despite Lennon having made some bad mistakes defensively. They are currently three divisions apart. 
    I have the same methodology :)
    Yep my thinking too.

Btw, a reminder, the Nabster scored on his debut for Reading yesterday against the scum :)

• Clarky said:
    I have a giant "MEH!" shaped balloon all ready for the window shutting, anyone else made any special arrangements?
    Going to trawl through this thread & find my posts in late June/early July where I said that we were slow in getting players in & that I would be proved right yet again when we fail to assemble a squad good enough for promotion. 

And you moan at Sandgaard wanting the limelight, all your posts are about you, you and you. Probably the most annoying poster I have ever come across.
    Yes,but sadly I'm seldom wrong. 
    Through good judgement or pessimistic views more likely to be right in our recent history? At what point in 11/12 did you expect Powell to take us up? I would guess you didn't see Bowyer's team getting promoted?
  • Chunes said:
    Clarky said:
    I have a giant "MEH!" shaped balloon all ready for the window shutting, anyone else made any special arrangements?

And you moan at Sandgaard wanting the limelight, all your posts are about you, you and you. Probably the most annoying poster I have ever come across.
    You disappear when you're wrong, and show back up when you're right. When we win a few games you're quiet. When we lose or stutter you're back. 

You're not even right this time. We haven't been 'slow' in the market. We could use a fourth striker (for one position) and a CB and that's about it, and we're only waiting because of the budget.

We got the bulk of our business done early
    "We got the bulk of our business done early"

Apart from up front where it really matters. We let Washington go in mid May - 3 and a half months later we still haven't replaced him. At that time we also had Davison - he has since left. And don't say "but Garner only plays with 1 main striker" because he only became our manager in late June so for 6 weeks we were still lacking in strikers if (like lots of managers) we were going to play with 2 up front. 

And the player(s) brought in to play the "attacking role" have not exactly set the world on fire. Payne has yet to start & yesterday looked off the pace. Only Rak Sakyi could be said to be a revelation. Most of the "business done early" has been defenders / defensive players. Our main problem over the last 2 years has been scoring goals & not only had that not been addressed we have actually got worse, especially striker wise.
  • Chunes said:
    Clarky said:

You disappear when you're wrong, and show back up when you're right. When we win a few games you're quiet. When we lose or stutter you're back. 

You're not even right this time. We haven't been 'slow' in the market. We could use a fourth striker (for one position) and a CB and that's about it, and we're only waiting because of the budget.

Apart from up front where it really matters. We let Washington go in mid May - 3 and a half months later we still haven't replaced him. At that time we also had Davison - he has since left. And don't say "but Garner only plays with 1 main striker" because he only became our manager in late June so for 6 weeks we were still lacking in strikers if (like lots of managers) we were going to play with 2 up front. 

And the player(s) brought in to play the "attacking role" have not exactly set the world on fire. Payne has yet to start & yesterday looked off the pace. Only Rak Sakyi could be said to be a revelation. Most of the "business done early" has been defenders / defensive players. Our main problem over the last 2 years has been scoring goals & not only had that not been addressed we have actually got worse, especially striker wise.
    Says the bloke who says he would not watch us again if we signed Taylor.
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    Clarky said:

Are you complaining we didn't sign a striker in the six weeks we didn't have a manager? I can only imagine I've misunderstood that point because surely not. 

You said we didn't get our business done early. Now you agree we did, except mostly defenders and attackers and not strikers. 

Like I say, we could do with a fourth for a single position. But if we don't get one it won't be because we left it too late, it will be because we don't have the money. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    From a Facebook group post.

Load of rubbish …. he would not have played at Walsall if that close 
  • Even if the moves don’t work out .. and we go with what we got till think this group will keep us in and around top 6 then we strengthen again in Jan for a final push …. it’s all down to what injuries and who gets injured and more important length of time but more luck and we deserve luck in this area and think we would be ok … 
    See, I dont get this. Why would you "strengthen in January" when you are half way through the season when you could strengthen now (or even in July) and give yourself a whole season to get promoted instead of playing catch up in the new year.

I wonder if it’s fear Golfie, if we push the boat and blow the budget now, then there’s nothing left to spend in January if we pick up more injuries?

I do agree with you, I reckon the only reason we brought Chuks back is we were genuinely concerned about getting relegated through lack of goals, was Chuks a JJ signing, guess we’ll never know.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    From a Facebook group post.

Load of rubbish …. he would not have played at Walsall if that close 
    Was Walsall a league game?  Or QPR? 

Personally I believe it is true but now you have rubbished I am 100% convinced its "non football" reasons. 
    It would also explain things you've alluded to as well.
  • edited August 2022
    Sage said:
    This team is crying out for another striker and one who is better than Stockley.

When it’s not working he looks like a pub player. Yes the service into him hasn’t been good and that’s not fair, but it’s not like he even offers us anything to combat that. He’s not great with his feet, he’s not a monster in the air, he doesn’t run in behind and stretch a defence, his link play is okay but not something that can take us up a league.

If he’s not getting quality crosses to attack, he’s useless in this formation. And as our captain, he sure does moan a lot.

There I’ve said it. Allowed my opinion and this is it. I just don’t think we will ever be strong enough for a promotion side with Stockley leading the line on his own. We need better.
    I think this is a little harsh on Stockley, but overall very well put and correct. Though I expect nothing less from you, as you're always incredibly insightful and articulate.

The problem still remains, can we move Stockley on to free up some of his wages? Because I feel like we will have a hard time offering another striker wages and playing time with Chuks and Stockley on the books. And I struggle to see us moving him on and signing another quality striker in the next three days. I would love to be wrong, he does not fit out set up anymore, but I just don't see it.
  • edited August 2022
    why is this team crying out for another striker??? We have scored plenty. Scoring is not the problem? is it? I mean, we have scored a fair few goals

i mean... is it just because we aren't relying on one person to score them all that is the problem?
  • edited August 2022
    why is this team crying out for another striker??? We have scored plenty. Scoring is not the problem? is it? I mean, we have scored a fair few goals
    Another Striker increases the potential for winning games.

We can argue Stockley's merits to the squad as a whole, but yesterday he did look ineffective against Wycombe's defence (People thought the same against Sheff Wed, and looked what happened when he was replaced), and like the rest of the team did appear to tire.

It would be nice if we had another option on the bench, at the very least until Aneke is back fit - That way if its not working, we are able to give the opposition something else to think about.

I'd be shocked if we get anything other than an U21 loanee though.

In all honesty I dont think there are many fans on here who don't realise that we need another Striker brought in before the Transfer Window closes... Just the majority dont feel the need to bring it up every five minutes.
  • It's not hard being right, it doesn't take some great genius, or amazing insight.

If I say "we're not going to sign a striker" everyday from the day the transfer window opens until the day it closes, I'll be right 89 out of the 90 days. Yay me, aren't I clever.

We're in league one, there isn't a club in the division that will get all of their targets and be 100% happy with their squad. We're not unique or special a d the sooner people stop whining on here everyday because we're not special the happier we'll all be.

As I said to Golfie a decade ago when I let the negativity get to me. When a new season rolls around you can choose to be optimistic and hope for the best, or you can be pessimistic and expect the worst. If you choose the second then I, personally, simply don't understand why you bother. Why spend time, money and emotional investment in something that not only gives you no joy, but that you are seemingly sure won't give you any joy in the future.
    And somewhere on the spectrum between optimism and pessimism lays realism!
  • why is this team crying out for another striker??? We have scored plenty. Scoring is not the problem? is it? I mean, we have scored a fair few goals
    Another Striker increases the potential for winning games.

We can argue Stockley's merits to the squad as a whole, but yesterday he did look ineffective against Wycombe's defence (People thought the same against Sheff Wed, and looked what happened when he was replaced), and like the rest of the team did appear to tire.

It would be nice if we had another option on the bench, at the very least until Aneke is back fit - That way if its not working, we are able to give the opposition something else to think about.

I'd be shocked if we get anything other than an U21 loanee though.

In all honesty I dont think there are many fans on here who don't realise that we need another Striker brought in before the Transfer Window closes... Just the majority dont feel the need to bring it up every five minutes.
    how did you come to that decision?

I mean why? If our other forwards and midfielders are contributing goals that win/draw games we would have lost? if our entire front line contributes 10 goals each for example? Chuks is an outlier to that btw, he'll either be injured all season and get 3 or not and get ten himself. The manager is setting us up to get goals all over the pitch and it appears to be working.