Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited August 2022
    why is this team crying out for another striker??? We have scored plenty. Scoring is not the problem? is it? I mean, we have scored a fair few goals
    Another Striker increases the potential for winning games.

We can argue Stockley's merits to the squad as a whole, but yesterday he did look ineffective against Wycombe's defence (People thought the same against Sheff Wed, and looked what happened when he was replaced), and like the rest of the team did appear to tire.

It would be nice if we had another option on the bench, at the very least until Aneke is back fit - That way if its not working, we are able to give the opposition something else to think about.

I'd be shocked if we get anything other than an U21 loanee though.

In all honesty I dont think there are many fans on here who don't realise that we need another Striker brought in before the Transfer Window closes... Just the majority dont feel the need to bring it up every five minutes.
    how did you come to that decision?

I mean why? If our other forwards and midfielders are contributing goals that win/draw games we would have lost? if our entire front line contributes 10 goals each for example? Chuks is an outlier to that btw, he'll either be injured all season and get 3 or not and get ten himself. The manager is setting us up to get goals all over the pitch and it appears to be working.
    The fact that we didnt win yesterday, and given the wasted chances against Sheff Wed.

Granted players will always miss opportunities.

But then there are other factors, which I go on to explain in my second paragraph

e.g. Defenders will occasionally get the better of certain Strikers, so give them something else to think about... Those on the pitch will tire, so having more options on the bench, allows for fresher legs, something else Defenders will hate to deal with.

We dont want to get to the point either where Stockley gets injured because he's not getting an occasional break, and is left exhausted from the amount of endless playing time.

I agree its helpful that we have other positions in the team who are contributing goals instead of Stockley, so in some regard its taking added pressure off his shoulders - Could equally argue though that he's currently too comfortable within the team. He'll know that Miles Leaburn is too green to be starting ahead of him, whilst Aneke is injured so can relax a bit too much on the pitch - Against Accrington at the Valley last season he was left on the bench, came on when we were losing and his whole attitude was that of a player saying: "Right time to prove the Manager wrong" - Doesnt have to do that at the moment does he.
  • Got a feeling we are rather hamstrung with Stockley, in the context of this idea of moving him on to facilitate bringing in somebody more suited to Garner's style.
    He is on contract, almost certainly settled and unlikely to want to move.
    I suspect the powers that be viewed him as something of a marquee signing.
    I am sure he is a quality forward at this level and an asset to any side that plays to his strengths.
    We are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea really.
    1. Because whilst he has attributes that benefit us, he also has limitations that are kind of exposed in the style we are trying to play.
    2. Because our "ideal" player/striker is hardly going to be tempted to come and have to compete for a starting place or to play second fiddle to Stockley. Conversely, if we simply bring a player in as back-up, he ain't gonna fire us to promotion.
    We may of course be looking to bring in a goalscoring wide forward to play on the opposite side to Rak-sakyi. That would of course leave the Stockley conundrum unresolved

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I can't figure out why so many people are down on this team. We've stood up to every test so far and no 'top 6' team has looked much better than us. We smashed Plymouth who it turns out are a very good side and our second string beat a Championship team's first team. 

Last season is finished, it's over. If anyone needed to hear that!
    I am not down on this team, by any means.  I don't think we are good enough to get promoted.  They aren't the same thing.

I don't buy the idea that it's a work in progress and will take 2 or 3 windows to get right.  I don't buy we can't bring x or y in until z leaves, for reasons other than the budget has been poorly managed.

I rated the class of 20/21 higher than most and this team isn't better and will suffer the same fate.  

Now saying that that could all change in the next 4 days.  If it does brilliant.  I'll be as happy as anyone.  

But we have been a quality center half short for 4 windows and a center forward short for 3.  How optimistic can you be this time?

Personally I think it will be quite enjoyable to watch but we will finish outside the play offs and end up playing in front of sub 10k fans, at home, on Saturdays.  The club will organically shrink.

If you did slow and steady in the championship you could still grow the club.

Giving Garner time, as opposed to financial backing, is as folly as not backing Adkins.
    You’re not down on the team? You sound down the on club as a whole. Jesus Christ 
  • edited August 2022
    Why exclude the Plymouth game... When was the last time we scored 5 against a team with 10 men? I think I can remember a few times over the past few seasons where we didn't score any in the same situation.

It's not like it's easy to smash them in when a player goes off. We were brilliant that night, give the team some credit.

We'd already scored 3 when their player got sent off anyway. (Given he blocked the 3rd going in with his hand).
  • Got a feeling we are rather hamstrung with Stockley, in the context of this idea of moving him on to facilitate bringing in somebody more suited to Garner's style.
    He is on contract, almost certainly settled and unlikely to want to move.
    I suspect the powers that be viewed him as something of a marquee signing.
    I am sure he is a quality forward at this level and an asset to any side that plays to his strengths.
    We are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea really.
    1. Because whilst he has attributes that benefit us, he also has limitations that are kind of exposed in the style we are trying to play.
    2. Because our "ideal" player/striker is hardly going to be tempted to come and have to compete for a starting place or to play second fiddle to Stockley. Conversely, if we simply bring a player in as back-up, he ain't gonna fire us to promotion.
    We may of course be looking to bring in a goalscoring wide forward to play on the opposite side to Rak-sakyi. That would of course leave the Stockley conundrum unresolved

A decent more mobile Number 9 would should be confident enough to fight for his place with Stockley. Plus, there's no reason why he couldn't play alongside him as well, after all Leaburn is a young Number 9 who's mainly been played as a wide forward

And I don't agree with the idea that Stockley is seen as a talismanic striker at this level. A decent player yes, but hardly someone who has the track record in L1 to strike fear into opponents

Indeed looking at his record, I was surprised at how few games he's actually played in L1 before joining us. By far his best success was when he played for Exeter in L2.
  • Chunes said:
    We shouldn't exclude the Plymouth game. When was the last time we scored 5 against a team with 10 men? I think I can remember a few times over the past few seasons where we didn't score any! It's not like it's easy to smash them in when a player goes off. We were brilliant that night, give the team some credit.

Also, their player stopped our 3rd goal going in with his hand. So we only scored another 2 when they had him red carded.
    I'm not excluding that game, but pointing out that the performances in the other games this season have been nowhere near as dynamic, suggesting that while we were great, Plymouth also got it very wrong, and that other teams won't play like that against us. 
  • why is this team crying out for another striker??? We have scored plenty. Scoring is not the problem? is it? I mean, we have scored a fair few goals
    Another Striker increases the potential for winning games.

We can argue Stockley's merits to the squad as a whole, but yesterday he did look ineffective against Wycombe's defence (People thought the same against Sheff Wed, and looked what happened when he was replaced), and like the rest of the team did appear to tire.

It would be nice if we had another option on the bench, at the very least until Aneke is back fit - That way if its not working, we are able to give the opposition something else to think about.

I'd be shocked if we get anything other than an U21 loanee though.

In all honesty I dont think there are many fans on here who don't realise that we need another Striker brought in before the Transfer Window closes... Just the majority dont feel the need to bring it up every five minutes.
    how did you come to that decision?

I mean why? If our other forwards and midfielders are contributing goals that win/draw games we would have lost? if our entire front line contributes 10 goals each for example? Chuks is an outlier to that btw, he'll either be injured all season and get 3 or not and get ten himself. The manager is setting us up to get goals all over the pitch and it appears to be working.
    Its actually not working. Leaving aside the game against 10 men we are averaging one goal a game. Nowhere near good enough for a promotion challenge.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    If we're winning games, I don't really care a great deal where they are coming from. Ultimately, Stockley primarily facilitates the other players - I'd be infinitely happier if he was chipping in with more, but even if he was, the concern remains about our dependence on him and the lack of cover. We could be bundling them in from 4 yards off someone's arse, I only care about the result and points.

I very much doubt he'd be sold. There's a very limited amount of teams that would play to his strengths and pay both a fee / his sizeable wages. I'd want him and another player who can hold up play + play behind to it switch up. I sit towards more positive than negative about our results so far, but I see the opportunity this year to be seized by investing now in cover up front and at the back. It's a tentative assessment that has me wanting to see the performances vs. the better sides we've played so far, against the weaker sides.
  • Plaaayer said:
    If you can’t see that Stockley either doesn’t fit the system we’re playing or isn’t good enough for it, you don’t have a clue about football I’m afraid. 
    Hope the owner and son sees this...
    😊
  • Chunes said:
    Why exclude the Plymouth game... When was the last time we scored 5 against a team with 10 men? I think I can remember a few times over the past few seasons where we didn't score any in the same situation.

It's not like it's easy to smash them in when a player goes off. We were brilliant that night, give the team some credit.

We'd already scored 3 when their player got sent off anyway. (Given he blocked the 3rd going in with his hand).
    That was the second goal wasn’t it? Clare scored the third with his wonder strike.
  • Chunes said:
    Perhaps it's the stats that are driving the club to look at a CB before a striker. 

Attacking stats: 

5th in the league for goals per match.

3rd in the league for expected goals. 

6th in the league for shots on target per match.

Defensive stats:

8th for xG conceded (1st being worse).

10th for saves per match. 

17th for clean sheets.

Some interesting unrelated stats. We're 2nd in the league for accurate long balls, behind only Fleetwood. And we're 23rd for possession won in final 3rd per match (so much for the press).
    Whats an expected goal?
  • Chunes said:

That was the second goal wasn’t it? Clare scored the third with his wonder strike.
    Indeed although people saying it was only 1-0 are being a little unfair. If the red never happens it’s still 2-0. Not sure we’d have scored 5 because they wouldn’t have tired as much in the final 15 but I’d still have fancied a comfortable win 
  • edited August 2022
    You do have to spread goals around games. There can be circumstances that mean you score a good number in one game and that is not repeated in others. I gather Curbs explained the principle on Saturday. Maybe another way to look at it is work out, and by all means be generous, what our defence and midfield are likely to contribute goal wise, then see how many our front players have to get for us to score 50 goals, 60 goals, 70 goals etc...

A positive is we don't seem to concede too many so we might get away with 60 plus to get into the play offs. Also, another positive strangely enough is a number of the goals we have conceded have involved very poor marking. That is a positive as it can be addressed. We also have a very good keeper for the level. He didn't look great in his first game but he has put that fear well and truly to bed.

Going negatve again, I can't get it to add up to 60 plus, unless we bring a new striker in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Plaaayer said:
    If you can’t see that Stockley either doesn’t fit the system we’re playing or isn’t good enough for it, you don’t have a clue about football I’m afraid. 
    well said and 100% correct - there are still a few muppets on here who can't see it mind you - worrying more about a centre half or left back - we've got 6 players in the squad who can play centre half and one on loan we can recall
  • no need for no need for the ‘muppets’ Douchy. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Plaaayer said:
    well said and 100% correct - there are still a few muppets on here who can't see it mind you - worrying more about a centre half or left back - we've got 6 players in the squad who can play centre half and one on loan we can recall
    Why’s it upsetting you so much that others think we need a centre half more?  Not as if anyone in here has influence on what we need, proper weird thing to get angry about.  
    i'm neither angry or upset 
  • JamesSeed said:
    no need for no need for the ‘muppets’ Douchy. 
    lets settle on clueless then 
  • edited August 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Plaaayer said:
    Why’s it upsetting you so much that others think we need a centre half more?  Not as if anyone in here has influence on what we need, proper weird thing to get angry about.  
    Well I’d only call a group of people I don’t know “muppets” if something really rattled my cage personally.  Plus you can easily put a case forward for wanting a centre half as a priority.
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Plaaayer said:
    Just being childish then
    call it what you like, its true 
  • DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    no need for no need for the ‘muppets’ Douchy. 
    lets settle on clueless then 
    Point to me posts where more than one person has said they're happy with the Strikers we have available? - Seems the voices in your head are telling you something that isnt true
    can't be bothered - there are some though, trust me - in fact, you can have a look yourself